Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Grace Falls Ill; June 9th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: May 27 2009, 10:34 AM (9,089 Views)
Wes Fan

Halloween Family
May 27 2009, 11:19 AM
Paxton
May 27 2009, 10:56 AM
esp13
May 27 2009, 10:47 AM
Bacterial meningitis is not (to the best of my knowledge) any kind of genetic disease. It's a bacterial infection that is extremely deadly (and very contagious). It also has nothing to do with pre-natal care.
Right, though WebMD does tell me there's a vaccine for children. And right there I've done more research about this condition than the Days writers did; I didn't bother to check and see how old the child needs to be before it's administered or anything like that--I could totally be on the Days writing staff.
ooo, maybe they'll have it that Sami declined the vaccine with all the concerns about Autism and vaccines. They just did this on Law & Order and they tried to throw the book at the mother. Maybe Lexie discouraged Sami from getting the vax, if so, she should fry too.
According to a previous post, Grace is too young to have even been offered the vaccine. Oh, and on L&O the woman was cleared and was only prosecuted because another child got sick, it had nothing to do with her own child not having the vaccine and getting sick themselves.
Edited by Wes Fan, May 27 2009, 11:26 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

^^maybe she didn't vax johnny and/or allie. yeah, I know about the L&O but the details weren't really relevant to my point of just plain opting out of vax and having to answer for consequences. I still hope lexie fries.

Wes Fan

Halloween Family
May 27 2009, 11:28 AM
^^maybe she didn't vax johnny and/or allie. yeah, I know about the L&O but the details weren't really relevant to my point of just plain opting out of vax and having to answer for consequences. I still hope lexie fries.
That would only be relevant if Johnny or Allie had the virus and gave it to Grace. Not to mention, those children have father's so it wouldn't be just up to Sami if they were vaccinated. Regardless, as the daughter of a doctor, I'm sure Sami would have her children vaccinated. The writers are obviously making it pretty clear that this isn't Sami's fault. She's seen three different doctors so I would blame University Hospital rather than Lexie not to mention Lexie isn't a pediatrician.

ilovemydays

How can bacterial meningitis be prevented?
Quote:

* Vaccines -- There are vaccines against Hib, some strains of Neisseria meningitidis, and many types of Streptococcus pneumoniae.

The vaccines against Hib are very safe and highly effective. By age 6 months of age, every infant should receive at least three doses of an Hib vaccine. A fourth dose (booster) should be given to children between 12 and 18 months of age.

The vaccine against Neisseria meningitidis (meningococcal vaccine) is not routinely used in civilians in the United States and is relatively ineffective in children under age 2 years. The vaccine is sometimes used to control outbreaks of some types of meningococcal meningitis in the United States. New meningococcal vaccines are under development.

The vaccine against Streptococcal pneumoniae (pneumococcal vaccine) is not effective in persons under age 2 years but is recommended for all persons over age 65 and younger persons with certain medical problems. New pneumococcal vaccines are under development.

http://www.dhpe.org/infect/Bacmeningitis.html

Its possible that Grace was vaccinated but not for the strain she is infected with. I don't know how Sami was able to get anything done without raising questions about her lack of documentation but this is a soap so I'll just have to roll with it.
Edited by ilovemydays, May 27 2009, 11:50 AM.

Wes Fan

ilovemydays
May 27 2009, 11:50 AM
Its possible that Grace was vaccinated but not for the strain she is infected with. I don't know how Sami was able to get anything done without raising questions about her lack of documentation but this is a soap so I'll just have to roll with it.
Everything says under 2 it's not effective so Grace would likely not have been vaccinated against any form of meningitis. And Sami does have paperwork. The FBI and Rafe got her all the necessary paperwork to show she adopted Grace. She even thanked Rafe for helping her with it when he brought up adopting her.

ilovemydays

Wes Fan
May 27 2009, 11:54 AM
ilovemydays
Everything says under 2 it's not effective so Grace would likely not have been vaccinated against any form of meningitis. And Sami does have paperwork. The FBI and Rafe got her all the necessary paperwork to show she adopted Grace. She even thanked Rafe for helping her with it when he brought up adopting her.
Quote:

The vaccines against Hib are very safe and highly effective. By age 6 months of age, every infant should receive at least three doses of an Hib vaccine. A fourth dose (booster) should be given to children between 12 and 18 months of age.

As for the documentation, I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up. See what happens when you FF? Did he give her the documentation at the time he brought up adopting her or did he give her the documentation a while ago?

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Ellie
May 27 2009, 10:34 AM

Sami falls into EJ's arms and he comforts her. Then, Daniel approaches Sami and says that genetic testing will be necessary. Sami offers to just tell Daniel about the biological parents so that a test can be avoided, but Daniel tells her that a test will be needed in either case. Sweeney says Sami realizes that "things are about to get a lot worse the second EJ finds out, but if it will help Grace, obviously, she'll do it. She wouldn't hesitate."
All Sami does is HESITATE!!! :soapbox:

Sami is never going to tell EJ about her pregnancy and I have a feeling this stupid babyswitch reveal won't come out until Nov. sweeps 2010. Grrrr.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

ilovemydays
May 27 2009, 12:03 PM
Did he give her the documentation at the time he brought up adopting her or did he give her the documentation a while ago?

they didn't really say. it was more like a token scene where sami thanked rafe for getting the fake birth certificate and necessary papers, but she never said when rafe did all of this for her.

i assume sami wasn't falsifying vaccine or other medical records(other than the birth certificate). that just seems totally unforgiveable, and not in line with the sami-super-mom bullshit we're being fed now.

mesagirl
Member Avatar

I'll be curious how true they stay to this illness. Will and Mia should be tested as well. Will has spent a lot of time babysitting Grace, and Bacterial Menangitis is highly contagious. Isn't the vaccine relatively new? I've seen plenty of ads regarding it the past 6 months or so, always centered on kids who appear to be middle school/high school ages.

Dallas812

That is so sad about Grace and I am soo sick of Sami getting so close to tell EJ and something or someone always gets in the way. Is this thing ever going to end!!!! I wish the truth would just come out soon but I guess it won't. I have a feeling that they are going to have poor Grace pass away (which I think is sad) and then have Sami tell EJ the truth finally so that he could grieve over the loss of his daughter (what he and Sami will believe) and poor Mia won't even know that it was her child that passed away. Then what seems to drag on months later the truth will come out about Sydney really being an EJami baby. I still wish they could of kept Grace on the story. I still hope they will but I have a feeling she is leaving.

Wes Fan

ilovemydays
Wes Fan
ilovemydays
Quote:

As for the documentation, I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up. See what happens when you FF? Did he give her the documentation at the time he brought up adopting her or did he give her the documentation a while ago?

Everything I've read at best says 18 months they become effective, prior to that they have minimal effectiveness. Just because you start the series, doesn't mean it's effective until the series is finished. It also says in several places the vaccine is not routinely given in the US. Still it seems like this conversation is just one to find a way to blame Sami for Grace's condition. It seems, however, based on what I'm reading HiB meningitis is a strain of meningitis. Grace has bacterial which is not hib meningitis according to many websites.

Sami and Rafe had a talk, albeit brief, about him getting her the papers to show Grace was adopted by Sami. Not much else was said. But, fact is, they've established that Sami does have papers that say Grace is hers.

mesagirl
Member Avatar

Dallas812
May 27 2009, 12:56 PM
That is so sad about Grace and I am soo sick of Sami getting so close to tell EJ and something or someone always gets in the way. Is this thing ever going to end!!!! I wish the truth would just come out soon but I guess it won't. I have a feeling that they are going to have poor Grace pass away (which I think is sad) and then have Sami tell EJ the truth finally so that he could grieve over the loss of his daughter (what he and Sami will believe) and poor Mia won't even know that it was her child that passed away. Then what seems to drag on months later the truth will come out about Sydney really being an EJami baby. I still wish they could of kept Grace on the story. I still hope they will but I have a feeling she is leaving.
I don't see why Sami would ever tell EJ at this point. Why would she tell him about Grace after she dies? This is afterall, a baby that Sami doesn't want EJ to know about in the first place. What would she gain by telling him now that she's gone? I don't see how she could justify feeling that EJ needs to grieve over a baby he never knew he had, a baby that Sami never wanted him to know he had in the first place.

ilovemydays

Wes Fan
May 27 2009, 01:00 PM
ilovemydays
Wes Fan

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
Quote:

Everything I've read at best says 18 months they become effective, prior to that they have minimal effectiveness. Just because you start the series, doesn't mean it's effective until the series is finished. It also says in several places the vaccine is not routinely given in the US. Still it seems like this conversation is just one to find a way to blame Sami for Grace's condition. It seems, however, based on what I'm reading HiB meningitis is a strain of meningitis. Grace has bacterial which is not hib meningitis according to many websites.

Sami and Rafe had a talk, albeit brief, about him getting her the papers to show Grace was adopted by Sami. Not much else was said. But, fact is, they've established that Sami does have papers that say Grace is hers.

Don't get me wrong, I was just trying to get an understanding of the storyline. Regardless of the facts I would be shocked to my shoes if TPTB made Sami even remotely responsible for Grace's illness. Sami is their "go to" glitter gal, IMO, attributing blame to Sami would be pointless because TPTB would most likely never go there.

Edited by ilovemydays, May 27 2009, 01:10 PM.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

mesagirl
May 27 2009, 01:03 PM
Dallas812
I don't see why Sami would ever tell EJ at this point. Why would she tell him about Grace after she dies? This is afterall, a baby that Sami doesn't want EJ to know about in the first place. What would she gain by telling him now that she's gone? I don't see how she could justify feeling that EJ needs to grieve over a baby he never knew he had, a baby that Sami never wanted him to know he had in the first place.
Agreed. At this point, assuming EJ finds out that Grace is (believed to be) his daughter, I highly doubt it will come from Sami. My guess is Stefano will clue him in. Or perhaps even Lucas?

mesagirl
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
May 27 2009, 01:13 PM
mesagirl
Dallas812
Agreed. At this point, assuming EJ finds out that Grace is (believed to be) his daughter, I highly doubt it will come from Sami. My guess is Stefano will clue him in. Or perhaps even Lucas?
But why would Stephano tell him? Stephano already knows that Grace isn't EJ's, Sydney is. There would be nothing to gain in lying to EJ about Grace. Lucas... hmmm. Lucas hates EJ. I can see him pressuring Sami to tell him because that would "be the right thing to do", but I don't see Lucas taking it upon himself to tell EJ. Maybe this whole thing really won't come out for a really long time... like years. The only one that I could see telling EJ would be Sami, but she would have nothing to gain from it, and it would defeat her whole purpose in keeping Grace hidden in the first place. I really don't see how it could come out except as maybe Sami and Rafe, or Sami and Lucas talking and EJ overhearing. At least at this point in the story. I'm confuzzled lol.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

If Sami doesn't tell EJ before Grace dies, then I agree there is no reason for her to tell him afterwards, since to put it bluntly this tragically solves her dilemma of keeping "their" child away from him.

Assuming Stefano definitely, positively knows everything about the switch (and I still want to know how--it has to be Dr. Baker, but when did he find out? It has to have been a while back since Stefano getting kidnapped and Baker leaving town happened at the same time, didn't it?), then I don't see him telling EJ either. He wouldn't do it because he doesn't really care about Grace. In a strange way Stefano is helping both Nicole and Sami keep their secrets, but all he really cares about as far as I can tell is having another one of his flesh and blood under his control.

We still have the possibility of Sydney having some sort of medical condition that will allow for the lightbulb moment of realizing EJ is her father but Nicole is not her biological mother. That is one avenue of EJ discovering the truth without anyone directly telling him.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

I think Stefano might tell EJ about Grace in order to prompt him to fight for sole custody of Johnny - thus giving Stefano access to both of the DiMera/Brady grandchildren with no interference from the Bradys. What better way to prompt EJ to finally break all ties with Sami than to clue him in to her ultimate betrayal?

And I would further speculate that a fight over Johnny would then bring in the Corday spoiler about Nicole betraying EJ to help Sami. Just a hunch...but if Nicole's guilt is eating away at her she might help Sami out in a custody fight over Johnny by providing (perhaps anonymously) the proof of EJ's involvement in the Stephanie kidnapping. I think they've been heavily setting up that betrayal this past week with Nicole's insistence that EJ move forward in the feud and not go to the police in an effort to try to help locate Stephanie. I have a feeling that will come back to haunt them down the road.

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
May 27 2009, 01:13 PM
mesagirl
Dallas812
I still think when Lucas falls off the wagon,he will blurt this out to Ej,,just a hunch.Someone at Sony had this theory she would have this disease..its sad..and I really dread it..but in the end,its just to further the stupid ass plot..

samixxx
Member Avatar

Thank you for the article. My heart will be breaking for Grace, Rafe, Sami, Will, and Mia. :'( :'(

Livie

i think sami does as people think, tell ej..so now he thinks he has a dead daughter..and one with nicole..which stefano knows is not nicoles..but will be content to let sleeping dogs lie..but this is going to come out, since i think mia will definitely want her "baby" back, and she may take off with her..maybe even with wills help..hmmmm sounds like a fic plot.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply