Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD cover 6/16 issue; Courtesy of SON
Topic Started: Jun 2 2009, 12:45 PM (6,888 Views)
Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I'm glad DAYS got the full cover. I think having any child killed has an impact. I dont get the argument that because it was Grace and she was adopted, then the impact is less. That's a slap in the face to every parent that adopts.

As others have mentioned, I dont place bets on either AS nor GG delivering great (even good) performances. I also wasnt impressed with JS playing grieving brother when Tony died. I wonder what direction he'll play these scenes. Also am curious in EJ's reaction to the news that the baby he called an orphan is/was his "daughter."

At least this SL will be the center for June. Sorry, but the DK war started out AWESOME, then ended with a thud!
Liz
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

desertgal
Jun 2 2009, 04:20 PM
By the way - I have to say I've never seen such negative posters in all my life. Most of your posts are all pretty hateful. What good does it do to bash the actors. They are only saying the words they're given.
And if they don't want to be criticized for mediocre (or worse) work, then they are in the wrong business. If all you want to read is how great certain actors are, there are plenty of fanboards out there for that kind of thing. The DR is not one of them.
Edited by Mason, Jun 2 2009, 04:26 PM.

six
Member Avatar

No one is complaining about the words that they say, but about their ability to sell the scenes. I'm glad that DR is a place where people can give their honest opinions, and not pretend that every actor is on equal footing.

I don't think the impact will be less for Sami because Grace isn't her biological child, but I don't think the fans connected with Grace the way they have Sydney. I've never assumed Grace would be on Days long, although I thought she'd be off screen somewhere a la JT. We know Sydney is here to stay.
Edited by six, Jun 2 2009, 04:31 PM.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

desertgal
jeanneshuis
Jun 2 2009, 03:25 PM
galen will ROCK he does heartbreaking stuff so well

I have no doubt at all, Ali and Galen will play these horrific scenes very well.

I hate this storyline; I wish they would have gone another direction.

By the way - I have to say I've never seen such negative posters in all my life. Most of your posts are all pretty hateful. What good does it do to bash the actors. They are only saying the words they're given.

Anyone that can read can SAY the words that are given. An ACTOR conveys emotion to where the audience is invested enough to care about the characters. In a soap, these "actors" need to show the audience that everyday.

At DAYS there are some that SAY what's on paper, and others that ACT to convey the emotions needed to make those words LIVE!

I want to watch ACTORS, not people that can read!
Liz

Ellie

desertgal
Hi - I am posting this as a member of the DR staff: All opinions are welcome here, no matter how unpopular, and actor bashing is allowed.

Here are the DR rules if you are not familiar with them: http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/boardrules/

If there is any post which you feel does not conform to the rules, please feel free to use the 'report' button to alert the staff.

Thanks!

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

desertgal
jeanneshuis
Jun 2 2009, 03:25 PM
galen will ROCK he does heartbreaking stuff so well

I have no doubt at all, Ali and Galen will play these horrific scenes very well.

I hate this storyline; I wish they would have gone another direction.

Like Mason pointed out, if they don't want to be criticized, then they are obviously in the wrong business. This isn't NBC or a fan board where you have to kiss the actor's ass. If they were good actors, then people wouldn't even be criticizing them.

I'm not bashing you or anything... I'm just telling you. ;)

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

six
Jun 2 2009, 04:25 PM
I don't think the impact will be less for Sami because Grace isn't her biological child, but I don't think the fans connected with Grace the way they have Sydney.
I agree, and I think that Grace's multiple recasts contributed to that. We've seen the same babies play Sydney for a while now. Whether that was intentional (to have the audience not connect as strongly), I don't know, but I think it may at least have been intentional to cast a smaller and less robust set of twins to play Grace at this stage so that her illness will seem more plausible.

ytumbler8
Member Avatar

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icant believe hat she dies. its soo sad. and i agree why did corday say no more babies dies and then go and kill this one. but i thnk that it was right for sami to tell ej that his "daughter" was dying cause he deserves to know. even though its not really his or hers for that matter. and baby grace was the cutest baby i have ever seen

Ellie

six
Jun 2 2009, 02:56 PM
Don't leave out the decision to throw GG into the mix, Ellie. How he managed to waltz onto Days and into their A story, I will never understand.
Great point. Also, I think that for a story like this, besides the fact that (imo) AS and GG can't act, the issue of whether or not they have chemistry (I don't think they do, though I know others in this thread disagree) is secondary to the question of how long they've been working together in the first place. Meaning that 'onscreen couples' like Peter/Kristian have worked together for years and have a certain comfort level with each other which is simply impossible to duplicate in a much shorter amount of time (say, six or seven months, as is the case here). Each is so familiar with the other's acting and nonverbal cues that he/she is able to adjust his/her own performance accordingly. For example, I think Peter did a very good job of that in the Zack story when Kristian was crying hysterically (which she doesn't usually do). These types of stories aren't just about one character falling into the other's arms; they're about one character giving another character deep emotional support (or not, if that's what the story dictates - though it's the connection between the actors which will create the distance between the characters, if needed.) It seems to me that it's a huge mistake to give a story this 'heavy' to a new onscreen couple like GG/AS who have been together such a short time.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Liz<3Days
Jun 2 2009, 04:24 PM
I'm glad DAYS got the full cover. I think having any child killed has an impact. I dont get the argument that because it was Grace and she was adopted, then the impact is less. That's a slap in the face to every parent that adopts.

Let me clarify...I'm not saying that the impact is lessened to Sami because Grace is not her biological daughter. My point is that the impact is lessened to the audience in the long term. As we watch Sami and EJ grieve for their lost 'daughter' we all know the baby wasn't theirs...and that their biological daughter is alive and well. In essence, as sad as this will be we know they will have a big reveal down the road and it will mute the impact of the suffering they do now. It won't change the fact that Sami loved Grace as her own - but it will certainly be uplifting for Sami when she realizes down the road that her actual daughter is alive.

Bo and Hope didn't have an outcome like that with the story of Zach's death. He was their child, no question about it. As we (the audience) watched them cope with their grief there was no spector of a happy ending or major reveal down the road for them - it was just very raw and heartbreaking.

Ponz
Member Avatar

I thought Ali was pretty good in that NBC preview where she had to convey Sami's shock at the diagnosis. She needs to strike the same tone with these scenes and not slip into scrunchy face mode. IMO, a common failing of soap actors playing tragic stories is they tend to skip the earlier stages of mourning (denial/shock) and immediately start bawling their eyes out. This is especially problematic for a drama queen character like Sami. Like Kenny said, one is left with no way of distinguishing between these scenes and the 27 times she's been dumped at the altar.

ETA: I also agree that SAFE being a couple for 5 seconds further diminshes the resonance here.
Edited by Ponz, Jun 2 2009, 05:27 PM.

Ellie

^^ Thanks - I'm not sure I agree about the preview, but I completely agree with the rest of what you're saying. The other interesting thing to consider, imo, is that an event like this often shocks a person into responding completely differently than he/she otherwise would to a stressful situation. Using two past examples of similar stories, when baby DJ died, Marlena, who usually cries a lot, kind of rocked back and forth and though she did cry, she had a vacant look on her face and the tears weren't really the focus. In contrast, when Zack died, Hope, who almost never cries, sobbed hysterically. I think these were very intelligent acting choices on the part of both Deidre and Kristian. So, going along with what you're saying, the appropriate response for Sami might very well be a subdued one. I highly doubt we're going to see that.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I personally see no (or a very weak) connection between the ZACK SL and this one.

Zack's SL was the "A story" of that part of the year. Zack, as others mentioned was older, and had ties with all the Bradys and their friends. And, for me, I never thought that they would have killed Bope's kid. This was the only SL where I actually wanted to see Bope (not a fan of them at ALL.) KA was great in those scenes. All the actors brought the pain or losing "their little man" to life. IMO, that SL has been one of the most memorable ones on Days. I still get a little sad when they put up Zack's ornament on the Horton Xmas tree. I still feel bad for Chelsea and the cross she has to bare.

Grace's death is a "subplot" in the "A story." There still a lot of this baby switch SL that has yet to be played out. Grace's SL pales in comparison because IMO, it was pretty clear that they were going to either have her killed and/or have a grave illness. No one, other the teens (Will/Mia) and Rafe got to know Grace. Everyone that Sami has told about Grace question her judgement. Now they question the adoption. Even Sami and Rafe baptized Grace in secret. Grace, for lack of better words, was a "plot point" used to drive the baby switch SL.
Liz

Livie

funny how ali is the one who has won emmy award, for her dramatic acting..and not kristian. kristian has won in dramtic favorite new comer before, but never an emmy for her dramatic input. just saying..and i really have never liked kristians acting. many times her Bostonian accent garbled up what ever she was trying to say, as if she was chewing tobacco while she was talking. but her scenes from saying good bye to jt i think were stellar. with zach, i thought lexie did just as well from her prior relationship as a mother to him.

i am kinda wondering also why so many think nicole should keep the baby she stole, while others definitely wanted lexie to give back zach?

and one sod picture showing sami in ej's arms has a very poignant look on her face..as if she is trying to find a way to hold up, and not become what people expect her to be...her child is in there fighting for her life, at least the child nicole has duped her into thinking is hers..but the thing is, sami has been the childs mother, and even if she were told right this moment that grace is not who she gave birth to, sami would still feel this same devastation. i think alison in that picture has given the performance deserving of an emmy in just that one still.
Edited by Livie, Jun 2 2009, 05:54 PM.

Ellie

Liz<3Days
Jun 2 2009, 05:40 PM
I personally see no (or a very weak) connection between the ZACK SL and this one.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying about the two stories in general, but I think this discussion started because Corday himself is comparing the two. I think what you're illustrating is part of the whole problem Days has now, which is that Corday's thinking that he can take a story like Zack's death and distill it down to this 'subplot' as you call it, and have the same ratings and emotional punch. I think he's in for a rude awakening.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

laptop
Jun 2 2009, 05:43 PM
funny how ali is the one who has won emmy award, for her dramatic acting..and not kristian.
Didn't fans vote for Ali's Emmy win in 2002?

Ponz
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jun 2 2009, 05:31 PM
^^ Thanks - I'm not sure I agree about the preview, but I completely agree with the rest of what you're saying. The other interesting thing to consider, imo, is that an event like this often shocks a person into responding completely differently than he/she otherwise would to a stressful situation. Using two past examples of similar stories, when baby DJ died, Marlena, who usually cries a lot, kind of rocked back and forth and though she did cry, she had a vacant look on her face and the tears weren't really the focus. In contrast, when Zack died, Hope, who almost never cries, sobbed hysterically. I think these were very intelligent acting choices on the part of both Deidre and Kristian. So, going along with what you're saying, the appropriate response for Sami might very well be a subdued one. I highly doubt we're going to see that.

That's a good point. The scenes definitely make a more profound impression when actors play "against type" so to speak. Too bad Deidre isn't around for Ali to draw inspiration from (Martha Madison would have been a great help too). She's not going to get much from the pitiful emoting of JS and Galen, lol.

Ellie

Rakesh198
Jun 2 2009, 05:55 PM
laptop
funny how ali is the one who has won emmy award, for her dramatic acting..and not kristian.
Didn't fans vote for Ali's Emmy win in 2002?
Yes. She didn't win an Emmy - she won a fan award at the Emmys for "America's favorite villain".

Mason
Member Avatar

LoL, Ali's only won awards for playing a bitch - the only thing she does well.

lysie
Member Avatar

laptop
funny how ali is the one who has won emmy award, for her dramatic acting..and not kristian. kristian has won in dramtic favorite new comer before, but never an emmy for her dramatic input. just saying..and i really have never liked kristians acting. many times her Bostonian accent garbled up what ever she was trying to say, as if she was chewing tobacco while she was talking. but her scenes from saying good bye to jt i think were stellar. with zach, i thought lexie did just as well from her prior relationship as a mother to him.

i am kinda wondering also why so many think nicole should keep the baby she stole, while others definitely wanted lexie to give back zach?
Alison has won one acting award. So has Kristian. Alison has won several for best villain and one for best couple. Kristian has also won several for best couple.
Edited by lysie, Jun 2 2009, 06:00 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply