Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
"Days": The missing minute; Cheerios product placement missing in US
Topic Started: Jun 2 2009, 06:41 PM (2,093 Views)
Jason47
Member Avatar

UPDATED thanks to information below:

In an unusual occurrence, "Days" viewers in America did not get to see a 55-second scene that was aired in Canada on Monday, June 1. The scene was a product placement ad for the cereal Cheerios, and had Peter Reckell (Bo) and Kristian Alfonso (Hope) discussing the benefits of the cereal. Since the taping of the scene on April 29, the Food and Drug Administration on May 12 issued a warning letter stating that advertising for Cheerios violates federal law with promises to lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer. General Mills, which makes Cheerios, was ordered to fix the issues or risk product seizure, so "Days" had to edit out the scene from its American broadcast. The FDA warning does not apply in Canada, so the scene was included in the Canadian feed.
Below is a transcript of the "missing" scene, which aired just before Henderson walked into the Brady Pub.

PETE (carrying a box of Cheerios): Hi, Hope. Caroline asked me to give this to Bo if he came in. She said he left them here this morning.
HOPE: Thanks, Pete.
PETE: You're welcome.
(BO ENTERS)
BO: Henderson's still on the phone.
HOPE (takes out the box of Cheerios): Cheerios?
BO: Oh, yeah. Things have been so crazy I haven't had a chance to tell you. My physical the other day, the doc said I have to watch my diet, so I was doing some reading and the studies show that eating Cheerios can lower your cholesterol, so gonna give it a shot.
HOPE: Sounds great to me. But, you know, you didn't have to buy them. They're Ciara's and my favorite. I always keep these in stock, and the banana nut -- delicious.
BO: Yeah, I know. Well, from now on, it's share and share alike.
HOPE: Well, I'll check with Ciara and get back to you on that.
BO: Thanks.
HOPE (seeing Henderson standing outside): Who do you suppose Henderson's on the phone with?
BO: Victor, but since this is off the books...
HOPE: Here he comes.

http://www.jason47.com
Edited by Jason47, Jun 2 2009, 08:48 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Jason47
Jun 2 2009, 06:41 PM
BO: Oh, yeah. Things have been so crazy I haven't had a chance to tell you. My physical the other day, the doc said I have to watch my diet, so I was doing some reading and the studies show that eating Cheerios can lower your cholesterol, so gonna give it a shot.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, because that sounds just so natural and Bo-like.

Ironically, I heard a story on the news just a few nights ago about how Cheerios might have to change their commercials because it might not actually lower cholesterol as much as the ads claim. Sorry, Bo!

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Those lucky Canadians get the "afterschool special" about Cherrios and cholesterol! I think they need to take out the honeybee too. I saw Bill Maher say that we have killed 40% of the bee population and if we keep on killing them at this rate, theyll be extinct.
Thanks for posting the info!
Liz

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

I'm pretty certain that I saw Peter and his actual wife with a baby advertising cereal.

Ellie

Please tell me this is a joke...

I saw Prevuze 'tweeted' about this but I thought they were kidding!

somersetfan
Member Avatar

I saw it, lol it was so cheesy i almost threw up!
Edited by somersetfan, Jun 2 2009, 07:11 PM.

lastDays
Member Avatar

Days is guilty of more than one product placement in the show. (Midol) Crap,don't we get enough of those during commercial breaks? :puke:

Ellie

It's so funny because when you think of 'missing scenes', it sounds so intriguing, like let's uncover lost footage. Only on Days would this be an ad for Cheerios, lol. (Thanks Jason!)

luhlinger

I wrote to TPTB and told them they should start doing this to supplement their budget. I thought it was a good idea, especially if it helps with the budget so DOOL can stay on the air! :) Remember when they did that scene with Max and Chelsea for tyson "appeteazers" or whatever they are called? Everyone needs the help in this economy and I'm up for anything to keep my fav soap on the air!

Red Mist
Member Avatar

LMFAO...At the same time I find this lame, hilarious and sad...A granola bar of how far we have fallen.

lysie
Member Avatar

I don't understand why they have to do it in such an obvious way. Why not have Ciara come in and ask for some Cheerios? Or if it's supposed to be an early morning scene, have a shirtless James Scott or Jay Kenneth Johnson walk through the room eating out of the box. I'm pretty suggestible. Last night I was watching an old episode of Friends, and Joey walked in the room with a bag of potato chips. I really wanted some. I'm still thinking about them. I don't even like potato chips.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Days is turning into OLTL/AMC/GH and their damn Campbell's! :P

Ellie

lysie
Jun 2 2009, 07:44 PM
I don't understand why they have to do it in such an obvious way. Why not have Ciara come in and ask for some Cheerios? Or if it's supposed to be an early morning scene, have a shirtless James Scott or Jay Kenneth Johnson walk through the room eating out of the box. I'm pretty suggestible. Last night I was watching an old episode of Friends, and Joey walked in the room with a bag of potato chips. I really wanted some. I'm still thinking about them. I don't even like potato chips.
lol! But it's so true. Did ET ever stand there and extol the virtues of Reese's pieces? No. He just ate them! Not sure why all these blatant advertisements are necessary.

Mason

Ellie
Jun 2 2009, 07:48 PM
lol! But it's so true. Did ET ever stand there and extol the virtues of Reese's pieces? No. He just ate them! Not sure why all these blatant advertisements are necessary.
LoL, I don't trust these writers with much, but I do think they're capable of weaving a product placement into the script without having to beat us over the head with it. It's very distracting - and probably not in the way that it's intended to be.
Edited by Mason, Jun 2 2009, 07:54 PM.

Ellie

Mason
Jun 2 2009, 07:54 PM
It's very distracting - and probably not in the way that it's intended to be.
I know, I don't think these things accomplish anything more than giving the show some comedic value. Did anyone really go buy Midol because the college girls on Days used it?

What they need to do is start connecting these with the storylines. Like for example, I really needed an Excedrin during the last month of J & M & Dr. Charlotte. I'm sure they could have worked that in!

lysie
Member Avatar

Mason
Jun 2 2009, 07:54 PM
LoL, I don't trust these writers with much, but I do think they're capable of weaving a product placement into the script without having to beat us over the head with it. It's very distracting - and probably not in the way that it's intended to be.
I'm pretty sure it's not because while I can tell you what the last three product placements were, I haven't gone out bought any of them.

ytumbler8
Member Avatar

Jason47
Jun 2 2009, 06:41 PM
In an unusual occurrence, "Days" viewers in America did not get to see a 55-second scene that was aired in Canada only on Monday, June 1. The scene was a product placement ad for the cereal Cheerios, and had Peter Reckell (Bo) and Kristian Alfonso (Hope) discussing the benefits of the cereal. A show rep did not have any information to give out as to why the scene did not air in America. Below is a transcript of the "missing" scene, which aired just before Henderson walked into the Brady Pub.

PETE (carrying a box of Cheerios): Hi, Hope. Caroline asked me to give this to Bo if he came in. She said he left them here this morning.
HOPE: Thanks, Pete.
PETE: You're welcome.
(BO ENTERS)
BO: Henderson's still on the phone.
HOPE (taking out the box of Cheerios): Cheerios?
HOPE: Sounds great to me. But, you know, you didn't have to buy them. They're Ciara's and my favorite. I always keep these in stock, and the banana nut -- delicious.
BO: Yeah, I know. Well, from now on, it's share and share alike.
HOPE: Well, I'll check with Ciara and get back to you on that.
BO: Thanks.
HOPE (seeing Henderson standing outside): Who do you suppose Henderson's on the phone with?
BO: Victor, but since this is off the books...
HOPE: Here he comes.

http://www.jason47.com
i noticed that too. i was wondering what happened to it. it was really kinda funny. well for some of theings that dool considers funny. does anyone know why they cut it out? if so let me know

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Wait! Does this mean the Tyson Anytizers aren't as good as Max and Chelsea promised they are?? :o

Jason47
Member Avatar

Updated the original message with the reason for the edited scene.

Wes Fan

Ellie
Jun 2 2009, 07:04 PM
Please tell me this is a joke...

I saw Prevuze 'tweeted' about this but I thought they were kidding!

I agree. This is such a joke. The information isn't even real regarding advertising for Cheerios.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply