Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Baby Grace dies; June 16th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Jun 3 2009, 11:11 AM (10,444 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOD includes a long feature article on the baby Grace story which includes interviews with Ken Corday, Ali Sweeney, James Scott, Galen Gering and Ari Zucker.

The article starts out with a statement from Ken Corday about the story. Corday relates that when his parents created Days, he was taught that there are three "no-nos" in daytime. They are: no stories about child abuse, no stories about mental illness, and no stories about killing babies. However, Corday continues that "then Zach dies and our numbers go through the roof and times change." Corday says that "for the sake of the story, it is a great stroke because it's simplified. Now we're dealing with one baby, but the wrong people are upset about it." Corday says that Dena Higley is a mother "and she understands the woman's grief and point of view".

The week begins with Grace's meningitis progressing. Daniel comes and tells Sami that she needs to be with the baby. Ali Sweeney explains that "the denial sets in" and as Sami is holding the baby, Daniel is telling her that she needs to prepare herself for Grace's death. Rafe is there and is trying to get Sami to listen to Daniel.

Sami kicks Rafe out because he doesn't believe Grace will recover, and Roman comes in. Sweeney says she's choked up talking about it, but that Roman is "devastated" and that "he's holding her and they're holding Grace." Sami tells Roman, 'I'm just scared because I can't do this', and Roman tells Sami he's there for her.

Sami then asks Roman to go get Rafe. Sweeney says at this point, Sami has accepted the fact that the end is near for the baby. But then, Caroline comes in and says she's brought the priest and as Sweeney says, "Sami can't handle that." Sweeney continues that Sami realizes "how selfish that is. She is Catholic and she does believe and just because she can't accept it, she's not going to deny her child last rites." The priest then comes in and performs the ceremony.

Galen Gering describes Rafe's reaction. "He's trying to be strong about it, but it's difficult under the circumstances... there's nothing he can do for [Grace] or Sami except be there and spend the waning moments with mother and child and it's pretty heavy." Gering says that when the baby dies, the heartbeat slows and the baby flatlines, and the doctor removes the IV and says that they can stay with Grace as long as they want. "It was very intense."

Ari Zucker then discusses Nicole's reaction. She says that "there's still a tremendous amount of guilt" for Nicole's having switched the babies, "but [Nicole] doesn't come forward because she's dug such a deep hole and the timing isn't right." Zucker says that Nicole's guilt is so intense that she wouldn't be able to look Sami in the eye if she saw her. "This is not what [Nicole] wanted to have happen and she caused probably about 80 percent of this whole situation."

Sami blames herself for Grace's death. Sweeney says that Sami feels that this is a Divine punishment because she has "done all these schemes and these horrible things over the years". Sami distances herself from Rafe the morning after Grace's death, because he's trying to comfort her, but she hates herself. Sweeney says Sami doesn't want to be with someone who's being nice to her. "She doesn't want charity. She doesn't want kindness. She wants to feel bad. And who happens to knock on the door but EJ?"

Sweeney explains that Sami "hates herself so much that she wants someone else to hate her too", so she tells EJ that Grace was his. Sweeney says that EJ "freaks out" and "gives her exactly what she wants: rage and hate and utter disgust and contempt". James Scott says that EJ "goes through those six stages and then he reaches the anger stage and then he gets sad". Scott continues that though EJ can't admit this to himself, he understands that Sami had good reason for not telling him the baby was his. "In the last six months he's been playing gangster games with his father, really demonstrating in every way that he's not the kind of person who should be raising a child."

Rafe goes to the hospital and runs into Nicole, who seems very shaken up. Zucker explains that Rafe thinks it's strange that Nicole is so distraught over Grace's death, but Nicole explains to Rafe that she'd be sad for anyone's child who died. Gering says that Rafe doesn't accept this explanation, but Rafe knows now is not the time to press Nicole on it.

Rafe takes the baby's body to the funeral home, where he runs into EJ. EJ then punches Rafe. Scott says that EJ's anger is due to the fact that Rafe knew the baby was Sami and EJ's yet tried to adopt her as his own. Gering says that Rafe "definitely does have a feeling of guilt in that situation", and that Rafe lets EJ beat him up. "If EJ wants to get a few punches in, okay, get it out."

Sami comes in during their fight, and EJ turns his anger on her. He asks her if she took good care of the baby and got proper medical care for her. He tells Sami that he would have made sure the baby had the best doctors.

James Scott says that Ali Sweeney's acting "is not only the best I've ever seen her do, I think it's the best acting I've ever seen on the show."

EJ then says goodbye to Grace on his own. Scott says that EJ cries a lot; "every single moment unfortunately for EJ is down to one tiny moment that he gets to spend with her when she's not alive. It's hard to think about all the times you will never have with a child when you've never had any." The article continues that Sami then tells Will the truth, "and he unloads on her".

Zucker's then discusses Nicole's future: "I don't know how she will ever be redeemed... there is no way out. She has no one to blame but herself. It's heartwrenching." The article concludes with Sweeney's discussing what will happen when Sami finds out: "I can't even imagine how she will freak out on Nicole. This is the worst thing you can do to someone."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks so much for posting this Ellie. :)

This sounds awesome from top to bottom. Now lets hope that the writers are able to sell it like the actors have.

One thing I will specifically comment on is Corday and the three things he was taught not to write about. Why can't those three subjects be explored? They happen every day in real life.

Murphy

That selfish bitch! I knew it. She doesnt even tell him because he has a right to know. Nope its all about Sami. Once again. She is just sick and the most selfish person on this earth. She wants someone to hate her. How anyone can want Ejami after this I dont know? That is unforgivable.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Ellie
Jun 3 2009, 11:11 AM
Please link to DR.

This week's SOD includes a long feature article on the baby Grace story which includes interviews with Ken Corday, Ali Sweeney, James Scott, Galen Gering and Ari Zucker.

The article starts out with a statement by Ken Corday about the story. Corday relates that when his parents created Days, he was taught that there are three "no-nos" in daytime. They are: no stories about child abuse, no stories about mental illness, and no stories about killing babies. However, Corday continues that "then Zach dies and our numbers go through the roof and times change." Corday says that "for the sake of the story, it is a great stroke because it's simplified. Now we're dealing with one baby, but the wrong people are upset about it." Corday says that Dena Higley is a mother "and she understands the woman's grief and point of view".

The week begins with Grace's meningitis progressing. Daniel comes and tells Sami that she needs to be with the baby. Ali Sweeney explains that "the denial sets in" and as Sami is holding the baby, Daniel is telling her that she needs to prepare herself for Grace's death. Rafe is there and is trying to get Sami to listen to Daniel.

Sami kicks Rafe out because he doesn't believe Grace will recover, and Roman comes in. Sweeney says she's choked up talking about it, but that Roman is "devastated" and that "he's holding her and they're holding Grace." Sami tells Roman, 'I'm just scared because I can't do this', and Roman tells Sami he's there for her.

Sami then asks Roman to go get Rafe. Sweeney says at this point, Sami has accepted the fact that the end is near for the baby. But then, Caroline comes in and says she's brought the priest and as Sweeney says, "Sami can't handle that." Sweeney continues that Sami realizes "how selfish that is. She is Catholic and she does believe and just because she can't accept it, she's not going to deny her child last rites." The priest then comes in and performs the ceremony.

Galen Gering describes Rafe's reaction. "He's trying to be strong about it, but it's difficult under the circumstances... there's nothing he can do for [Grace] or Sami except be there and spend the waning moments with mother and child and it's pretty heavy." Gering says that when the baby dies, the heartbeat slows and the baby flatlines, and the doctor removes the IV and says that they can stay with Grace as long as they want. "It was very intense."

Ari Zucker then discusses Nicole's reaction. She says that "there's still a tremendous amount of guilt" for Nicole's having switched the babies, "but [Nicole] doesn't come forward because she's dug such a deep hole and the timing isn't right." Zucker says that Nicole's guilt is so intense that she wouldn't be able to look Sami in the eye if she saw her. "This is not what [Nicole] wanted to have happen and she caused probably about 80 percent of this whole situation."

Sami blames herself for Grace's death. Sweeney says that Sami feels that this is a Divine punishment because she has "done all these schemes and these horrible things over the years". Sami distances herself from Rafe the morning after Grace's death, because he's trying to comfort her, but she hates herself. Sweeney says Sami doesn't want to be with someone who's being nice to her. "She doesn't want charity. She doesn't want kindness. She wants to feel bad. And who happens to knock on the door but EJ?"

Sweeney explains that Sami "hates herself so much that she wants someone else to hate her too", so she tells EJ that Grace was his. Sweeney says that EJ "freaks out" and "gives her exactly what she wants: rage and hate and utter disgust and contempt". James Scott says that EJ "goes through those six stages and then he reaches the anger stage and then he gets sad". Scott continues that though EJ can't admit this to himself, he understands that Sami had good reason for not telling him the baby was his. "In the last six months he's been playing gangster games with his father, really demonstrating in every way that he's not the kind of person who should be raising a child."

Rafe goes to the hospital and runs into Nicole, who seems very shaken up. Zucker explains that Rafe thinks it's strange that Nicole is so distraught over Grace's death, but Nicole explains to Rafe that she'd be sad for anyone's child who died. Gering says that Rafe doesn't accept this explanation, but Rafe knows now is not the time to press Nicole on it.

Rafe takes the baby's body to the funeral home, where he runs into EJ. EJ then punches Rafe. Scott says that EJ's anger is due to the fact that Rafe knew the baby was Sami and EJ's yet tried to adopt her as his own. Gering says that Rafe "definitely does have a feeling of guilt in that situation", and that Rafe lets EJ beat him up. "If EJ wants to get a few punches in, okay, get it out."

Sami comes in during their fight, and EJ turns his anger on her. He asks her if she took good care of the baby and got proper medical care for her. He tells Sami that he would have made sure the baby had the best doctors.

James Scott says that Ali Sweeney's acting "is not only the best I've ever seen her do, I think it's the best acting I've ever seen on the show."

EJ then says goodbye to Grace on his own. Scott says that EJ cries a lot; "every single moment unfortunately for EJ is down to one tiny moment that he gets to spend with her when she's not alive. It's hard to think about all the times you will never have with a child when you've never had any." The article continues that Sami then tells Will the truth, "and he unloads on her".

Zucker's then discusses Nicole's future: "I don't know how she will ever be redeemed... there is no way out. She has no one to blame but herself. It's heartwrenching." The article concludes with Sweeney's discussing what will happen when Sami finds out: "I can't even imagine how she will freak out on Nicole. This is the worst thing you can do to someone."

[Note: We were unable to get SOW today. When we do have it, we'll update this article if there is any new information, and we will do new threads on the other Days stories if SOW discusses them. This is the only Days story discussed in SOD this week.]

Wow. I - oh my God. This is going to be utterly heartbreaking.

I'm so glad that Sami is feeling such remorse for having kept this secret. From the way this reads it seems the writers are hitting every emotional note in the story. Sami's grief and self loathing. Nicole's guilt and fear. EJ's hurt, anger, rage. Even Rafe having some guilt over having tried to keep EJ's daughter from him.

As hard as this will be to watch, I have no doubt I will be riveted to the screen. :'(

Oops! ETA: Thanks for posting, Ellie!
Edited by SocRMum1, Jun 3 2009, 11:25 AM.

lysie
Member Avatar

Yeah, I could barely get past Corday's first statement. I can think of at least two other babies who have died on this show. DJ Craig and Nathan Curtis. They've mentioned DJ in the last five years. And didn't the ratings pretty much stay the same when Zack died? I think they had already gone up a little bit before he died, and then they stayed up for a couple of weeks, and then they went back down. Nothing went through the roof.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Thanks, Ellie! Sounds like you had a ton of ground to cover summarizing this and color me totally shocked, but it sounds like the actors believe they had a lot of good material to work with in terms of their motivations.

I think Corday should have thought a little harder about his comment that Zack's death caused the ratings to go through the roof. The implication is they'll go to the baby-killing well to improve ratings.

As for the story itself, I hope it translates half as character-driven as it sounds. That is, I'd love to actually see Sami's recriminations, Nicole's guilt, and EJ's realization he's not actually Daddy of the Year, instead of the actors just guessing those are their character's motivations. I need to see all those things play out.

esp13
Member Avatar

Interesting that some of the most well-known/best written stories from the days when Ted and Betty Corday actually ran the show at least touched on those "no-nos." Kim's molestation by Uncle Eric, Steve's history with being given to an orphanage because he tried to kill his father to keep him from beating his mother, Jessica's mental illness (split personality), DJ's death.

Maybe he was told they were no-nos because they knew that he would never be a good enough executive producer to makes sure those stories were told well.

All that aside, this sounds really heartwrenching and I hope the actual scenes play out as emotionally as the recap sounds. I will say that I was interested to read AS's take on Sami's reason for telling EJ. I've been feeling like that was a bad decision, but at least this provides a motivation I can understand.

speechless
Member Avatar

OMG this sounds like MUST SEE TV! Finally I can watch days again!

peaches179

Ellie

:roflol: :roflol:

Deleted User
Deleted User

peaches179
Jun 3 2009, 11:29 AM
Ellie

:roflol: :roflol:
My exact reaction.

Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Thanks for posting Ellie! I can tell I'm not the only one who was anxiously awaiting this today. :)

Corday should have just kept his mouth shut about this whole thing and the rules his parents taught him because he only looks like more of an asshat bringing up the ratings around Zack's death.

Especially because the rest of this article makes this all sound really really compelling.

Interesting that AZ admits she doesn't know how Nicole can ever be redeemed for this and that there is no mention of Mia AT ALL. Nor any mention in this article of Nicole tying this to her own miscarriage. Hmmm. I guess the whole reason for this baby switch saga is forgotten?

Glad that Rafe FINALLY feels some sort of guilt about trying to adopt some other dude's kid, even though I doubt GG will be able to sell it to me after his character has been written so weirdly gungho about fatherhood with the girl he thinks is EJ's with no common sense reservations about it to this point.

Can't wait to see the fireworks between EJ and Sami. I like that JS makes the point about how a part of EJ realizes that as angry as he is about Sami keeping everything from him he has shown she had good reason to do what she did because of him stepping up his DiMera shenanigans. I'm sure JS will try to show that with his acting I just hope the writers find a way to get that across as well. The way AS describes Sami's reaction sounds interesting to me too.

Hopefully Will unloading on Sami in this crazy messed up situation can be the catalyst he needs to be a bit of a hellraiser in his own right because as much as I've enjoyed the new actor playing Will, the character is still too goody goody to be Sami and Lucas's son.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Murphy
Jun 3 2009, 11:22 AM
That selfish bitch! I knew it. She doesnt even tell him because he has a right to know. Nope its all about Sami. Once again. She is just sick and the most selfish person on this earth. She wants someone to hate her. How anyone can want Ejami after this I dont know? That is unforgivable.
Uhhhhh as an EJami fan, I can tell you they've been through worse. :laugh: Sami being screwed up and selfish is nothing new nor is her having dysfunctional relationships. EJ is not the most benevolent or together individual himself. But thanks for your concern.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Where does Corday get this "through the roof" crap?

Ratings for the 10 weeks prior to Zack's death:

10/24/05......5*..............2.5..............08...10/31/05...5*........2.5...............09
11/7/05........5*..............2.5..............09...11/14/05...5*........2.6...............09
11/21/05......5*..............2.6..............08...11/28/05...5..........2.6..............09
12/5/05........7...............2.6..............08...12/12/05...5*.........2.6..............09
12/19/05......5*..............2.7..............08...12/26/05...5..........2.8..............08

Average: 2.6

10 weeks following Zack's death:

1/2/06.........3*...............2.8.............09....1/9/06......3..........2.9..............10
1/16/06.......3*...............2.9.............09....1/23/06....4*.........2.6..............09
1/30/06.......5*...............2.6.............09....2/6/06......6*.........2.6..............09
2/13/06.......5*...............2.7.............09....2/20/06....6*.........2.6..............09
2/27/06.......6*...............2.5.............08....3/6/06......6*.........2.5..............08

Average: 2.67

daysfan
Member Avatar

lysie
Jun 3 2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I could barely get past Corday's first statement. I can think of at least two other babies who have died on this show. DJ Craig and Nathan Curtis. They've mentioned DJ in the last five years. And didn't the ratings pretty much stay the same when Zack died? I think they had already gone up a little bit before he died, and then they stayed up for a couple of weeks, and then they went back down. Nothing went through the roof.
I may be wrong but wasn't Days like in second place sometime during Zack's death? Probably one of the last times it ever was.

Thanks for posting this HUGE article, Ellie! It all sounds great...I am still enjoying Days right now, and Corday's quote really confuses me....DJ died while Betty Corday was still with the show, hell it was long before the current Corday even set foot there. And Laura just about lost her damn mind during that time period, too.

But anyway, I am really excited for this....thank goodness EJ knows now!!!! I almost feel bad for him....not only does he hate Sami right now, but whenever the baby switch comes out...wow I fear for Nicole.

jane1978

esp13
Jun 3 2009, 11:27 AM
Interesting that some of the most well-known/best written stories from the days when Ted and Betty Corday actually ran the show at least touched on those "no-nos." Kim's molestation by Uncle Eric, Steve's history with being given to an orphanage because he tried to kill his father to keep him from beating his mother, Jessica's mental illness (split personality), DJ's death.
Do you know the numbers for these stories? Because no matter how memorable or critically acclaimed they are, maybe they proved to be rating disaster at the time and thatīs why Corday as EP was warned to not do them. I remember the Jennifer rape story in 1991 and it was very well written and Missy did a superior job, yet the ratings went down and they had to cut it early and sort of downplay the long lasting repercussions and eventually never mentioned it again after J/J got married.

Not always good story means good ratings. And thatīs the only thing any EP cares about.

lysie
Member Avatar

daysfan
Jun 3 2009, 11:37 AM
I may be wrong but wasn't Days like in second place sometime during Zack's death? Probably one of the last times it ever was.
It went from fifth to third then back to fifth.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Jun 3 2009, 11:35 AM
Murphy
Jun 3 2009, 11:22 AM
Uhhhhh as an EJami fan, I can tell you they've been through worse. :laugh: Sami being screwed up and selfish is nothing new nor is her having dysfunctional relationships. EJ is not the most benevolent or together individual himself. But thanks for your concern.
Amen! :thumbsup:

Ellie

Ponz
Jun 3 2009, 11:36 AM
The same place JS got the crap about Ali Sweeney's acting?

Thanks for the research, Ponz! I though I remembered that there was no big ratings spike, other than the normal holiday bump.

As for JS's remark about Ali's acting... the best acting on Days ever? EVER? Really? That's pretty hard to swallow. It's hard for me to fathom that she actually did a good job in this story, but as I've said, I'll watch the clips and give it a chance. But to say it's the best on the show ever... well... I think the best acting Ali's capable of - and this might be it! - is far beneath the acting of many others who are currently and were once on the show.

ginababe
BANNED

HELL YEAH EJ! Punch that mother fucker out!! And fuck you Sami! Once again, you are being selfish and tell EJ after the fact FUCK YOU!!!

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jun 3 2009, 11:45 AM
Ponz
Jun 3 2009, 11:36 AM
The same place JS got the crap about Ali Sweeney's acting?

Thanks for the research, Ponz! I though I remembered that there was no big ratings spike, other than the normal holiday bump.

As for JS's remark about Ali's acting... the best acting on Days ever? EVER? Really? That's pretty hard to swallow. It's hard for me to fathom that she actually did a good job in this story, but as I've said, I'll watch the clips and give it a chance. But to say it's the best on the show ever... well... I think the best acting Ali's capable of - and this might be it! - is far beneath the acting of many others who are currently and were once on the show.

While I am thrilled that James made that comment in regard to Ali's performance, I would point out that he's only been on the show for three years...so perhaps he means just in the time he's been on.

In recent memory the absolute best acting I can recall on the show was KA's performance at the hospital as they learned Zach was dying. Her sobs absolutely haunted me for days. She was amazing. But that did preceed JS joining the show.

And if I go way, way, way back I can remember when Philece Sampler (I may have just butchered her name) had a huge, emotional scene where she stood in front of a group of people (at a party, I think?) and let everyone have it. I can still remember her tearfully proclaiming "Renee DiMera will survive!" Of course, she was offed moments later...but it was still a damned good performance. :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply