Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Baby Grace dies; June 16th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Jun 3 2009, 11:11 AM (10,433 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jun 3 2009, 11:45 AM
As for JS's remark about Ali's acting... the best acting on Days ever? EVER? Really? That's pretty hard to swallow. It's hard for me to fathom that she actually did a good job in this story, but as I've said, I'll watch the clips and give it a chance. But to say it's the best on the show ever... well... I think the best acting Ali's capable of - and this might be it! - is far beneath the acting of many others who are currently and were once on the show.

It kind of makes you wonder why he felt like he needed to pimp her acting so much. If EJ is going to be in a rage, he probably wants everyone watching Sami so we'll miss him devouring the set.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SaveDaysNow

Murphy
Jun 3 2009, 11:22 AM
That selfish bitch! I knew it. She doesnt even tell him because he has a right to know. Nope its all about Sami. Once again. She is just sick and the most selfish person on this earth. She wants someone to hate her. How anyone can want Ejami after this I dont know? That is unforgivable.
Yes, I couldn't agree more!! Sami is sick, selfish and twisted. If she were a real mother, I'd feel sympathy for her -- but as a character -- she deserves to be hated and miserable. Sami is the world's WORST mother. Will is basically a latchkey kid. . .he even recognizes his own mother is a liar. Her other two kids are non-existent on this show.

Eshami is done and over. It boggles the mind to think that anyone would want such a twisted couple together. Sami's a selfish bitch. As far as AS "acting" during all this, I will just have to wait and see. JS' opinions seem to change like the weather so he probably set the bar really low for her.

Ponz
Member Avatar

jane1978
Jun 3 2009, 11:43 AM
esp13
Jun 3 2009, 11:27 AM
Interesting that some of the most well-known/best written stories from the days when Ted and Betty Corday actually ran the show at least touched on those "no-nos." Kim's molestation by Uncle Eric, Steve's history with being given to an orphanage because he tried to kill his father to keep him from beating his mother, Jessica's mental illness (split personality), DJ's death.
Do you know the numbers for these stories? Because no matter how memorable or critically acclaimed they are, maybe they proved to be rating disaster at the time and thatīs why Corday as EP was warned to not do them. I remember the Jennifer rape story in 1991 and it was very well written and Missy did a superior job, yet the ratings went down and they had to cut it early and sort of downplay the long lasting repercussions and eventually never mentioned it again after J/J got married.

Not always good story means good ratings. And thatīs the only thing any EP cares about.
Two of the most popular stories in DOOL history (Mickey's breakdown leading to his romance with Maggie & the Bill/Laura saga) were about mental illness.

And I don't think ratings tanked in 1991 because of Jennifer's rape story. The couples featured at that time were Frankie/Eve, Bo/Carly, Brian/Melissa, Shane/Kayla and Lawrence/Kimberly. :x

Ellie

SocRMum1
Jun 3 2009, 11:51 AM
While I am thrilled that James made that comment in regard to Ali's performance, I would point out that he's only been on the show for three years...so perhaps he means just in the time he's been on.
True, that probably is what he meant, though I'd still feel the same way and completely disagree with him. And didn't he say the exact same thing once about Ari? This is sounding VERY familiar. I'm going to try to find the quote.

ginababe
BANNED

oh and galen's comment about letting EJ beat him LMAO!! I think he could have done it even if Rafe put up a fight, based on his fighting skills in the past!

six
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Jun 3 2009, 11:44 AM
IMissAremid
Jun 3 2009, 11:35 AM
Murphy
Jun 3 2009, 11:22 AM
That selfish bitch! I knew it. She doesnt even tell him because he has a right to know. Nope its all about Sami. Once again. She is just sick and the most selfish person on this earth. She wants someone to hate her. How anyone can want Ejami after this I dont know? That is unforgivable.
Uhhhhh as an EJami fan, I can tell you they've been through worse. :laugh: Sami being screwed up and selfish is nothing new nor is her having dysfunctional relationships. EJ is not the most benevolent or together individual himself. But thanks for your concern.
Amen! :thumbsup:
Co sign.

I have to give them credit for selling the story so well. Hopefully what's written here will play out just as well on the screen.

Murphy

Sami deserves to lose all her kids because of the choices she made. Will moves out. She lied to his face too many times. I dont blame him. EJ will probably not let her see Johnny. Ali might be the only one allowed near her. Lucas needs to think twice about that. Sami's life is a trainwreck. She will never change and will always make bad choices.
Edited by Murphy, Jun 3 2009, 12:05 PM.

esp13
Member Avatar

jane1978
Jun 3 2009, 11:43 AM
esp13
Jun 3 2009, 11:27 AM
Interesting that some of the most well-known/best written stories from the days when Ted and Betty Corday actually ran the show at least touched on those "no-nos." Kim's molestation by Uncle Eric, Steve's history with being given to an orphanage because he tried to kill his father to keep him from beating his mother, Jessica's mental illness (split personality), DJ's death.
Do you know the numbers for these stories? Because no matter how memorable or critically acclaimed they are, maybe they proved to be rating disaster at the time and thatīs why Corday as EP was warned to not do them. I remember the Jennifer rape story in 1991 and it was very well written and Missy did a superior job, yet the ratings went down and they had to cut it early and sort of downplay the long lasting repercussions and eventually never mentioned it again after J/J got married.

Not always good story means good ratings. And thatīs the only thing any EP cares about.
I can't find comprehensive ratings going that far back. I know that Corday credited Tomlin with coming in and "saving Days" back in the early '80's and one of the stories he pointed to was Jessica's mental illness storyline. Looking at the yearly ratings that are available, I know that Kim's abuse storyline played out in like 1984 or 1985 and the ratings were a 7.1 in 1984-85 and 7.2 in 1985-86. Steve's childhood stuff played out primarily in the spring of 1987 and the ratings that year were a 7.0. So, it doesn't look like those storylines killed the ratings or anything, particularly as Days rose from 7th to 4th in the rankings over that time period. However without the weekly ratings it's almost impossible to know. I have no idea when DJ died, so I can't even look that one up, I'm afraid.

Your point is well-taken that perhaps those storylines did not do well in the ratings and that is why his parents told Ken not to tell those kinds of stories. But, I have a lot of respect for Ted and Betty Corday, so I think they knew you could tell those stories if you were committed to telling them well.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ginababe
BANNED

Murphy
Jun 3 2009, 12:02 PM
Sami deserves to lose all her kids because of the choices she made. Will moves out. She lied to his face too many times. I dont blame him. EJ will probably not let her see Johnny. Ali might be the only one allowed near her. Lucas needs to think twice about that. Sami's life is a trainwreck. She will never change and will always make bad choices.
what I don't understand having had this happen to him.. how Lucas could have kept his mouth shut about it, that seems like bad karma..

ginababe
BANNED

WTF cares about ratings? Clearly the show doesn't.. so why are we beating our heads against the wall over something that is never going to change?

AngelOB
Member Avatar
Life is awesome

Wow, as an EJami fan this article has given me the hope I needed to keep watching this show. The whole tone of the article makes me very happy because of all the emotions and drama that will ensue.

And can I just say how much I love James Scott? The man doesn't seem to keen on plugging stuff that he doesn't believe so James, from the bottom of my EJami-loving heart....Thank You!!! :hail: :hail: :hail:

Murphy

Lucas is an idiot and hypocrite. But in his defense he did tell her many times this would come back to bite her in the ass. He shouldnt have kept this secret for her though. That was really a dumb thing to do. Sami's shit is going to land on him. He could have avoided that.

lysie
Member Avatar

ginababe
Jun 3 2009, 12:01 PM
oh and galen's comment about letting EJ beat him LMAO!! I think he could have done it even if Rafe put up a fight, based on his fighting skills in the past!
EJ isn't exactly a good fighter either. Philip wiped the floor with him. EJ beat up Patrick, and just like Rafe is apparently going to do, Patrick let him. What that's about?

lysie
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jun 3 2009, 11:55 AM
True, that probably is what he meant, though I'd still feel the same way and completely disagree with him. And didn't he say the exact same thing once about Ari? This is sounding VERY familiar. I'm going to try to find the quote.

I know what quote you're talking about. It has to exist if we both remember it, lol.

ginababe
BANNED

lysie
Jun 3 2009, 12:18 PM
ginababe
Jun 3 2009, 12:01 PM
EJ isn't exactly a good fighter either. Philip wiped the floor with him. EJ beat up Patrick, and just like Rafe is apparently going to do, Patrick let him. What that's about?
I'm not arguing this right now, but I think we can all agree, that was a horribly choreographed fight scene..

ginababe
BANNED

lysie
Jun 3 2009, 12:19 PM
Ellie
Jun 3 2009, 11:55 AM

I know what quote you're talking about. It has to exist if we both remember it, lol.
he said he thought Ari was one of the best actresses on the show, if not the best, similar yes, the same no.

ginababe
BANNED

Does anyone else get the feeling they are setting up Nicole/Rafe? Rafe finds out her secret, agrees not to tell if she keeps EJ occupied and away from Sami.

AngelOB
Member Avatar
Life is awesome

ginababe
Jun 3 2009, 12:22 PM
Does anyone else get the feeling they are setting up Nicole/Rafe? Rafe finds out her secret, agrees not to tell if she keeps EJ occupied and away from Sami.
That wouldn't surprise me ginababe, although honestly I do feel Rafe's interest in Sami will be greatly reduced now that Grace is no longer around.

jam6242
Member Avatar

I don't get the comments from Corday about the taboo subjects. These things have been addressed on Days for years. I started watching in the late 1960s when I was a child and remember little Dickie Martin, a toddler, being accidentally killed by his father, David, when he was pushing him on a swing. Dickie's mother Susan lost her mind & shot David to death. Mickey got Susan off by reason of insanity. That's how Mickey & Laura first got involved, she was Susan's psychiatrist.

I also seem to remember in the 1970s that there were flasbacks of Trish Clayton being abused by her father or step-father when she was young.

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie..wow..great read..first off..as a EJAMI...I will wait and see how this plays out...and I agree,we have been through worse...as for the ex-FBI guy...EJ beats his fucking ass!!! :rockon: I just wonder if the expression on GG's face will change...I doubt it.As for Nicole...the ONLY way she can be redeemed is to tell the truth and the whole truth.As for Ali's acting,,I think Ali may draw on her own maternal instincts for this,as she herself just gave birth,so I would not knock it till I have seen it..I am sure that Ari,James and ALi will make it all very interesting,and I actually love forward to the scenes with Roman as well.As for Corday,,why do people even listen to this man,he lies like a dog.Great article thanks so much
Edited by EjsGaGirl, Jun 3 2009, 12:25 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply