Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Spoilers for wk of June 15th; *UPDATED 6/13*
Topic Started: Jun 3 2009, 02:58 PM (12,788 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

CDN TV Guide titles

Monday
"Rafe Tells Arianna The Truth"

Tuesday
"The Kiriakis and Dimeras"

Wednesday
"Kate Plots Revenge"

Thursday
"Will Turns His Back"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

laptop
Jun 4 2009, 07:17 PM
my spec now is that sami will find out that rafe is the one who gave stefano all his info on grace, the convent, etc. as rafe figured that stefano would work with nicole to keep ej from trying to get close with sami.
If the writers actually went to the trouble of giving an explanation for Stefano's knowledge of things, which they haven't so far and I'm not certain they ever will, I don't think it will have been Rafe that gave him the info that allowed Stefano to know.

More likely IMO is Stefano found something from some of his henchmen discovered from spying on/overhearing Nicole (I always thought Nicole was way too indiscreet about all of her schemes in front of those guys) or Dr. Baker told him or he somehow got a hold of Dr. Baker's letter to that other doctor or even some note was left by Tony.

I have heard the theory put forth that it would turn out that Rafe was some sort of DiMera double agent but I have no hope whatsoever that the character will actually be written that complex or interesting. I also think if he was smart/devious enough to hope that Nicole and Stefano would keep EJ turned away from Sami as he was THAT into Sami we would have seen him propose to Sami rather than just focus entirely on getting custody of Grace. I do think there could be some shady/weirdness in his background that could come out, I just don't think it's DiMera ties.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Mason
Jun 3 2009, 08:12 PM
Angie79
Jun 3 2009, 07:59 PM
Coming: Chad's not about to let Mia forget him.
This gets a big WHO CARES? from me. I don't care about Mia, so I sure as hell won't care about her ex-boyfriend.
This is one of the many reasons I REALLY LOVE YOU! :makeout:

lastDays
Member Avatar

OneBadKitty
Jun 4 2009, 11:58 PM
Mason
Angie79
Jun 3 2009, 07:59 PM
Coming: Chad's not about to let Mia forget him.
This gets a big WHO CARES? from me. I don't care about Mia, so I sure as hell won't care about her ex-boyfriend.
Why the hell are tptb introducing family members of so many non significant Salemites? This is the biggest problem of the show right now.usually,its family or someone connected to a family who is introduced to the canvas

jane1978

lastDays
Jun 5 2009, 07:13 AM
OneBadKitty
Jun 4 2009, 11:58 PM
Mason

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
Why the hell are tptb introducing family members of so many non significant Salemites? This is the biggest problem of the show right now.usually,its family or someone connected to a family who is introduced to the canvas
I┤m not sure what you are talking about. Chad is no family member and clearly just a supporting character. And Will is connected to Sami, who is a leading character of the show. Are you saying Will shouldn┤t have girlfriend? He and Mia are growing closer and they need a conflict so introducing someone from Mia┤s mysterious past is a logical choise.

And if you are talking about Arianna, Rafe needed someone to talk with, especially if they are slowly building the mystery of what happened before he met Sami. ╔very character needs his/her confidant, that┤s writing 101. Besides, most of the writers always try to introduce atleast one family on their own, so Hernandez┤es are just another addition to the long line of Johnson┤s, Deveraux┤s, Reed┤s, Blake┤s, Walker┤s, Lockhart┤s and other supporting families.

helloagain

The only reason Bo would have for laying into Rafe would be if Rafe was compromising an undercover operation.
I think that we will find Rafe is working for the Salem PD, undercover. Bo probably is pissed that Rafe's closeness to Sami has caused the DiMeria's to scrutinize him to much. Thus compromising the investigation.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Taelyn
Jun 4 2009, 09:34 PM
Either way the summer should be good.. Im just angry it came to this.. To kill 2 out of 3 babies in less than
a years time leaves me to wonder about the mental healh of these writers.

I was thinking about this too.
We started out with 3 babies for this story...and now we are down to one. What is Days faciniation with letting babies die? Sick bunch of bastards!
Not to mention, the one child that is left comes from a character who already has 3 other children. Better writers could have spread the wealth.

Also, it disturbs me that Ken Corday said that Zach's ratings were so good that he couldn't stop with the killing of children.
So all of this baby death is so KC can get his beloved ratings? Just a ratings ploy? Sick bastard!
How about a decent writing team that knows how to shake things up and bring some new material.

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

suzipawhuska
Jun 3 2009, 11:02 PM
If Days is going off the air, why are they hiring new people and firing old favorites????
Good question!

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

helloagain
Jun 5 2009, 09:08 AM
Bo probably is pissed that Rafe's closeness to Sami has caused the DiMeria's to scrutinize him to much.
Why should/would Bo give a rat's ass about about the DiMeras or Rafe's closeness to Sami?

helloagain

KristianFanForever
Jun 5 2009, 09:58 AM
helloagain
Jun 5 2009, 09:08 AM
Bo probably is pissed that Rafe's closeness to Sami has caused the DiMeria's to scrutinize him to much.
Why should/would Bo give a rat's ass about about the DiMeras or Rafe's closeness to Sami?
Please read the entire entry...I said that Bo probably lays into Rafe, as reported as a spoiler...only because Rafe is probably working undercover.
Since Bo and Hope have been investigating Stephano and EJ lately, it only stands to reason that would be the same case he would have Rafe on.
Just a thought I had responding to the spoiler entry, no need to get nasty.

daysknowitall
Member Avatar

Bo lays into Rafe could be 3 things, one b/c Bo himself was not told about his father and since Ej didn't get to say goodbye before she died was not good and Bo may feel he needs to let Rafe know from his point of view # 2 could be that Rafe is undercover, b/c after going back n watching old Rafe scenes he at one point said he had contacts at Salem PD when he was talking to Sami and seemed strange to me b/c if he meant Sami's dad he would have just said that. Now #3 could be that Zach was kept from Bo n Hope so he may hold some anger in that regard too. Especially being that Zach died. Bringing back all those old emotions. IDK which one it'll be but all sound interesting. Poor Rafe, he couldn't help he loved that lil girl.

helloagain

tiffany8053
Jun 5 2009, 10:15 AM
Bo lays into Rafe could be 3 things, one b/c Bo himself was not told about his father and since Ej didn't get to say goodbye before she died was not good and Bo may feel he needs to let Rafe know from his point of view # 2 could be that Rafe is undercover, b/c after going back n watching old Rafe scenes he at one point said he had contacts at Salem PD when he was talking to Sami and seemed strange to me b/c if he meant Sami's dad he would have just said that. Now #3 could be that Zach was kept from Bo n Hope so he may hold some anger in that regard too. Especially being that Zach died. Bringing back all those old emotions. IDK which one it'll be but all sound interesting. Poor Rafe, he couldn't help he loved that lil girl.
Very true. There are several good reasons Bo could have for words with Rafe.
I am leaning towards and undercover operation, because there are other spoilers that say Sami investigates Rafe this summer.
Makes me think that they are setting it up that Rafe won't be able to reveal his real motives for his actions in the coming weeks.
He will probably start acting suspicious to Sami, and cause her to think he is not the man she thought.

I think it would be great if he was possibly investigating a gambling operation, that leads back to Dr. Baker, and the baby switch.

And if Stephano doesn't tell EJ that Grace wasn't his daughter, and allows him to suffer that lost, will EJ turn on his Daddy?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Alligato
Jun 5 2009, 09:41 AM
Taelyn
Either way the summer should be good.. Im just angry it came to this.. To kill 2 out of 3 babies in less than

We started out with 3 babies for this story...and now we are down to one. What is Days faciniation with letting babies die? Sick bunch of bastards!
Not to mention, the one child that is left comes from a character who already has 3 other children. Better writers could have spread the wealth.

Also, it disturbs me that Ken Corday said that Zach's ratings were so good that he couldn't stop with the killing of children.
So all of this baby death is so KC can get his beloved ratings? Just a ratings ploy? Sick bastard!
How about a decent writing team that knows how to shake things up and bring some new material.
It's just another example of why Corday should not talk...AT ALL. Someone else really needs to speak (Tomlin, Higley...although I'm pretty sure Higley has little to do with this) because he has foot in mouth disease. I'm sure Corday did not mean it like it sounded but when your an EP and talking to the media, you have to do a better job then that.

Having said that, the show isn't really killing babies all the time. Zack was killed 3 years ago and I know Nicole miscarried but it's not like the show is doing this on a yearly occurrence or something. Up until Zack's death, Days had not killed a child since DJ, I believe. Sure, there were miscarriages and abortions, which are the same, but that is a part of every drama at times, both daytime and primetime. You just pick and choose when to use them because soaps are always going to use the same cliched stories again. It's what soaps are and even primetime dramas do the same thing. You just have to make the stories seem new and fresh. There is no such thing as "new material" anymore in almost anything entertainment. It's all about taking something old and doing what you can to make it seem new enough to engage the audience but, at the end of the day, it's all about how well you do something. The story could be something done over and over again but if the writing is good and the acting is good, 9 times out of 10 the fans will like it or most of them anyway.

I will give Days one thing. No one expected one of the babies in this story to die like this so the predictable cries can stop now and at least a hell of alot of story movement comes from this. I don't mind any story as long as it's told the right way and with a meaning. I LOVED Zack's death story but that story always felt to me like it was thrown together just to start another round of Hope/Bo/Billie with Patrick tossed in. That's all fine and good but it also should've done something for Bo and Hope as characters and it didn't. It did a little for Chelsea but no one else and that is because Chelsea was the one who killed Zack. Instead, Hope came off like an annoying shrew and Bo was dumbed down once again. At least this story already shows signs of doing things for Nicole, Sami, EJ, Will, and Rafe as characters. You can see that just from the spoilers and articles. It just has to be executed well.

daysfan
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jun 5 2009, 11:25 AM
Alligato
Jun 5 2009, 09:41 AM
Taelyn

It's just another example of why Corday should not talk...AT ALL. Someone else really needs to speak (Tomlin, Higley...although I'm pretty sure Higley has little to do with this) because he has foot in mouth disease. I'm sure Corday did not mean it like it sounded but when your an EP and talking to the media, you have to do a better job then that.

Having said that, the show isn't really killing babies all the time. Zack was killed 3 years ago and I know Nicole miscarried but it's not like the show is doing this on a yearly occurrence or something. Up until Zack's death, Days had not killed a child since DJ, I believe. Sure, there were miscarriages and abortions, which are the same, but that is a part of every drama at times, both daytime and primetime. You just pick and choose when to use them because soaps are always going to use the same cliched stories again. It's what soaps are and even primetime dramas do the same thing. You just have to make the stories seem new and fresh. There is no such thing as "new material" anymore in almost anything entertainment. It's all about taking something old and doing what you can to make it seem new enough to engage the audience but, at the end of the day, it's all about how well you do something. The story could be something done over and over again but if the writing is good and the acting is good, 9 times out of 10 the fans will like it or most of them anyway.

I will give Days one thing. No one expected one of the babies in this story to die like this so the predictable cries can stop now and at least a hell of alot of story movement comes from this. I don't mind any story as long as it's told the right way and with a meaning. I LOVED Zack's death story but that story always felt to me like it was thrown together just to start another round of Hope/Bo/Billie with Patrick tossed in. That's all fine and good but it also should've done something for Bo and Hope as characters and it didn't. It did a little for Chelsea but no one else and that is because Chelsea was the one who killed Zack. Instead, Hope came off like an annoying shrew and Bo was dumbed down once again. At least this story already shows signs of doing things for Nicole, Sami, EJ, Will, and Rafe as characters. You can see that just from the spoilers and articles. It just has to be executed well.
Zack's death was great during the actual DEATH....but it fell apart soon after maybe the first month....as you said, it went back to Billie/Bo/Hope/Patrick. Now, things did get interesting to me on Morgan Island when it intertwined with the climax of the Alex North story, but Chelsea and the emails and the RIDICULOUSNESS of all that was too much for me....hopefully, the aftermath of Grace's death will be better than any of that and I believe it will be.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Agreeance on the writing for Hope making her come off as an annoying shrew in that Zack story. I don't think I liked Hope again after that until late 2006, early 2007.

But I disagree that no one expected one of the babies in this story to die and that this is not predictable whatsoever. Baby switch stories are often resolved with one of the children dying. Soaps don't want bunches of babies on the canvas at the same time.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I disagree. Baby switches almost ALWAYS end with someone's baby dying.Out of the babies involved no way was Sami's "biological baby" going to be killed.

First off, if Sydney was killed, Sami wouldnt be in the center of the SL and her secret wouldnt be revealed because she would be thinking Grace was hers and she'll be living in bliss with Rafe. She may come around to say how bad she feels about EJ losing his child, but thats about it.

Second, I dont think TPTB want Mia with a child.

Third, come on.....its Sami BRADY....she's SARLENA! Bottom line, why kill her "biological" child if you can have more dramatic impact by killing another one?

Sad...but true!
Liz
Edited by Liz<3Days, Jun 5 2009, 11:43 AM.

daysfan
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Jun 5 2009, 11:37 AM
Agreeance on the writing for Hope making her come off as an annoying shrew in that Zack story. I don't think I liked Hope again after that until late 2006, early 2007.

But I disagree that no one expected one of the babies in this story to die and that this is not predictable whatsoever. Baby switch stories are often resolved with one of the children dying. Soaps don't want bunches of babies on the canvas at the same time.
Well, the thing thats different and KINDA unexpected about this is that usually in typical baby switches...the baby dies in the beginning. Now yes Nicole's baby did die from the miscarriage, but this is something different for a story like this...a baby dying right in the middle of the story and after being alive and well for 6 months.

Though, the only thing that makes it partially expected is that no one would have a clue what to do with baby Grace once Sydney went back to Sami...it would be ridiculous for Sami to have five kids, four of whom would be babies/toddlers at that point...heck its ridiculous enough for her to have three so soon. And with Mia being a new, young character, no one would want her lugging a baby around town...so it makes sense.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Jun 5 2009, 11:37 AM

Actually, normally one of the babies dies in the beginning of the story, which drives the mother to switch babies and make the other mother think her child died. I think that is what everyone expected when this started with Nicole taking the baby and Sami thinking her's died. Instead, they introduced Mia and her child into it and I don't see how that is predictable. The story started out predictable but from the minute Mia and her baby were brought into this, it really shook things up, which is why what is happening now is a surprise. They could've easily had Mia raise the child if they wanted to. I mean, Sami had Will as a teen. They just chose not to and chose a heartbreaking way out that was made more of a surprise by the fact that Days hardly ever kills a child like this. Miscarriages, sure, but meningitis? That is heavy for Days. I also don't think this was driven by too many babies on the canvas. Days has had so many babies born in the last few years. Johnny, Allie, Claire, Grace, Ciara, Joe, Sydney...that is just recently. They aged Ciara and Claire and have aged Johnny and Allie a bit too. Joe is no longer on the canvas so it's not like the show is overrun with babies at this stage. To put this in perspective, look at what Passions did in 2003-2004. Now that was too much. Endora, Maria, Jane, Marty...I mean, they had babies all over the place.

I still hate the way the Zack story developed. It started off so well and it could've been great but after about a month, the worst of JER kicked in and destroyed it and then it just got tedious by the time we hit the email crap.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

PhoenixRising05
Having said that, the show isn't really killing babies all the time. Zack was killed 3 years ago and I know Nicole miscarried but it's not like the show is doing this on a yearly occurrence or something. Up until Zack's death, Days had not killed a child since DJ, I believe. Sure, there were miscarriages and abortions, which are the same, but that is a part of every drama at times, both daytime and primetime. You just pick and choose when to use them because soaps are always going to use the same cliched stories again.
I think Alligato's larger point was that this storyline involved three babies, two of whom were killed off, which is very grim. There were in fact ways to resolve this without killing off Grace. I'll never let it go that Philip gave up Tyler in literally one episode to adoptive parents, so why they couldn't do something similar here after the reveal, I don't know. Everyone finds out the truth, Sami and Rafe are crushed because they have to give up Grace having already bonded with her, and they still get the heartbreaking farewell to a child they love. Granted, my preference would have been never to have had a baby switch story in the first place, but since the writers apparently couldn't think of any other way to incorporate Sweeney's pregnancy I guess this is what we're stuck with.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Paxton
Jun 5 2009, 11:50 AM
PhoenixRising05
Having said that, the show isn't really killing babies all the time. Zack was killed 3 years ago and I know Nicole miscarried but it's not like the show is doing this on a yearly occurrence or something. Up until Zack's death, Days had not killed a child since DJ, I believe. Sure, there were miscarriages and abortions, which are the same, but that is a part of every drama at times, both daytime and primetime. You just pick and choose when to use them because soaps are always going to use the same cliched stories again.
I think Alligato's larger point was that this storyline involved three babies, two of whom were killed off, which is very grim. There were in fact ways to resolve this without killing off Grace. I'll never let it go that Philip gave up Tyler in literally one episode to adoptive parents, so why they couldn't do something similar here after the reveal, I don't know. Everyone finds out the truth, Sami and Rafe are crushed because they have to give up Grace having already bonded with her, and they still get the heartbreaking farewell to a child they love. Granted, my preference would have been never to have had a baby switch story in the first place, but since the writers apparently couldn't think of any other way to incorporate Sweeney's pregnancy I guess this is what we're stuck with.
You know, I used to think the baby switch was just a product of Ali's wanting the pregnancy written in but I'm not so sure now. I think Tomlin and Whitesell wanted it because they are all about this kind of stuff. They've gotten so much out of this story and can get even more out of it and it's been so carefully planned that it doesn't come off as something that was done just to satisfy an actress.

I get what Alligato meant but, as I said, if you see potential to tell a good story, you tell it. You can't shy away from things just because the story started with a miscarriage, which IMO is a bit different then a child dying onscreen. Yes, a child is still dying but you never see the child so it feels a bit different. This just ups the stakes and the story needed that. Now it's tragic for all involved and, in a way, now everyone involved is going through what Nicole went through only they don't realize what is really going or the circumstances. What this does is that when everything is revealed, the wounds will go so deep that the show will have so many angles to explore and that is classic, good soap opera.

I don't advocate for killing babies or children but it's the show's job to produce good drama and that is what they are doing IMO. Yes, there were other ways to go but that is most of the time the case. You just go with what will produce the best story and do the most for the show in the long run.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply