Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
OLTL: Dropped from Canada's CTV network
Topic Started: Jun 3 2009, 08:25 PM (435 Views)
MrsMahaney
Member Avatar

OK, I'm just bringing this up because I haven't seen this anywhere and if it is somewhere else I apologize, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Canadian television has cancelled ONE LIFE TO LIVE effective this fall in favor of ER repeats. Personally I don't think it bodes well for the show here in the US as airing in Canada subsidizes the production costs of the show. Also, it is my understanding that ABC is looking to gain an hour in their daytime line-up. Could OLTL be the first soap to go on ABC? By the sounds of it, I would think it has maybe another year and a half tops. Don't shoot the messenger.... I'm just passing this information along because I thought it might be of interest to some members on this board.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Soaps get cancelled in foreign countries all the time. It's not a big deal.

Deleted User
Deleted User

The only reason this sucks is because now when the President interrupts OLTL with some stupid shit I can't switch to the Canadian feed and not be affected.
Quote Post Goto Top

lene
Member Avatar

As long as they don't cancel days i'm okay.

Drew
Member Avatar

This doesnt matter much. Other than something now will be worth watching at my local station at 2pm that`s unique from what 5 other channels are playing at the same time.

Drew
Member Avatar

Plus, canadian ratings dont mean anything to the US shows. And not in terms of ad revenues, but audience taste. While Y&R`s the most watched american soap (I think Coronation Street still beats it though on CBC), the rest generally dont line up with how they do in the US ratings. Days or B&B would be 2nd and 3rd. GH is definitely not as popular here as it is in the US. Global dropped it so they could snatch Passions. The rest dont even make a blip. AMC, OLTL, ATWT and GL all shuffle on Global and CTVGlobeMedia's affiliates depending on which low end affiliate in the local market has holes in their schedule to fill.
Edited by Drew, Jun 3 2009, 09:11 PM.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Honestly I am not surprised by this.

Y&R and DAYS dominate the ratings in Canada as far as American soaps go (BBC's Coronation Street I believe has been #1 for years here).

OLTL has never been popular in Canada, in fact, none of the ABC soaps (and GL) do well here in Canada.

OLTL will now only be available through American networks airing in Canadian markets.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Jun 3 2009, 09:34 PM.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Y&R is the only soap I've ever seen ratings for in Canada.

For the week of May 18 to May 24, Y&R was #24 out of the top 30 programs in Canada.

http://www.bbm.ca/en/nat05182009.pdf

The other soaps don't rank in the top 30, Y&R is consistently in the Canadian top 30, even reaching the top 10 sometimes.

MrsMahaney
Member Avatar

Drew
Jun 3 2009, 09:04 PM
Plus, canadian ratings dont mean anything to the US shows. And not in terms of ad revenues, but audience taste. While Y&R`s the most watched american soap (I think Coronation Street still beats it though on CBC), the rest generally dont line up with how they do in the US ratings. Days or B&B would be 2nd and 3rd. GH is definitely not as popular here as it is in the US. Global dropped it so they could snatch Passions. The rest dont even make a blip. AMC, OLTL, ATWT and GL all shuffle on Global and CTVGlobeMedia's affiliates depending on which low end affiliate in the local market has holes in their schedule to fill.
The ratings are not the problem in Canada. The thing that makes this a bad thing is CTV pays a licensing fee to air OLTL and that subsidizes the production of the show here in the US. Less money means cuts will have to be made. We also know money is the driving factor in television and if the show is making less money, it's less profitable and not as appealing to keep on the air. It may seem like it's not a big deal, but it is.....

Drew
Member Avatar

Its not going to make a significant difference to the show. Foreign markets drop and pick up these shows all the time and nothing happens. In the end game, they're not paying that much.

Furthermore, CTV does not actually air One Life to Live. While the A-Channel/etc affiliates are now owned by parent company CTVGlobeMedia, they're low rent small town affiliates - quite a few in danger of being shut down for low viewership and high running costs.
The only soaps that actually air on "Canada's number 1 network" ,aka CTV, are B&B and GH, and even then dont even make a blip in the ratings so what they pay for them will be reflective of their audience. The Vancouver CityTV is the only major high-ISH profile affiliate to carry it and AMC.
Edited by Drew, Jun 4 2009, 09:31 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply