Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Stephanie's Downward Spiral; June 23rd issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Jun 10 2009, 10:10 AM (2,823 Views)
lastDays
Member Avatar

peaches179
Jun 10 2009, 12:29 PM
This is one of the most boring characters on the show! And that's saying alot.

Thanks,Ellie! :)
Yep. I frankly don't think they should be putting SH in anything but typical young angst stories.She doesn't have the acting chops for such heavy drama.I thought her morgue scenes were bad :peek:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bradyclan

Steph needs pills to be interesting. Even the writers know how boring this character is.

Bradyclan

lastDays
Jun 10 2009, 03:50 PM
peaches179
Jun 10 2009, 12:29 PM
This is one of the most boring characters on the show! And that's saying alot.

Thanks,Ellie! :)
Yep. I frankly don't think they should be putting SH in anything but typical young angst stories.She doesn't have the acting chops for such heavy drama.I thought her morgue scenes were bad :peek:
I agree.

Also, with RM out I think MB is the younger actress to watch *ducks for tomatoes*

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

doolcrazy
Jun 10 2009, 02:02 PM
I am not a fan of SH as Stef and really could care less about her or the stories revolving around her. I really dislike how TPTB seem to zero in on a certain character and focus on them while so many others go wanting. I hope EH does take Stef out. Send her packing just as they did with poor Steve and Kayla. JMO so don't throw tomatoes. LOL
Not throwing a tomato but who is EH?

I am seriously drawing a blank.

michelle
Member Avatar

To bad this isn't Stephanie's funeral. :D

evilD
Member Avatar

And I thought that some wrestling fans were getting way too much involved sometimes with the product on TV. I guess that same could be said for soap fans, eh?

Seriously, I can totally understand that each has his favorite actors/actresses and that's OK because everybody is entitled to their own opinion. But wishing the death of a character just because you don't like the actress? Can't you just wish for a recast instead? LOL

No harm feelings here, just a simple constatation on my part.

michelle
Member Avatar

No offense meant.

I'm just not thrilled where this character/storyline is going. I like SH fine. It seems to me it's all over the place and they can't decide what to do with her. Didn't Nick just go through a similar story? Look how that turned out.

I have had enough Steph/Phil breakups and makeups and Owen and Steph does not appeal to me either.

She's just lost with no parents around, no job, all her friends have moved away so she becomes a drug addict.

I'm just not that into this story.
Edited by michelle, Jun 10 2009, 10:20 PM.

Bradyclan

evilD
Jun 10 2009, 10:13 PM
And I thought that some wrestling fans were getting way too much involved sometimes with the product on TV. I guess that same could be said for soap fans, eh?

Seriously, I can totally understand that each has his favorite actors/actresses and that's OK because everybody is entitled to their own opinion. But wishing the death of a character just because you don't like the actress? Can't you just wish for a recast instead? LOL

No harm feelings here, just a simple constatation on my part.
Yeah, like wishing ill to HHH or Cena?
soap and wrestling fans are quite similar although wrestling fans are worse, IMO, lol.

Wrestling aside. I don't mind SH. I just don't like Stephanie. The character doesn't have layers and would have benefitted greatly of her parents being around. Now, Steph has no parents, no ex, no best friend. Just a new boyfriend and a bunch of relatives that she never really interacted with.
It's a disservice to the character.

evilD
Member Avatar

Hahaha, yeah, you have no idea how many times a day I read stuff about fan hate about Triple H and John Cena and I won't disagree with you on which between wrestling fans and soap fans are worse because we could beat a dead horse endlessly.

But, to set a perhaps sloppy parallel between the writing of both shows, I wrote for a local wrestling promotion in my area for around 2 years and to be honest, it is extremely difficult to write something good for everyone because you tend to focus on your main characters. In soaps, those are the lead actors/actresses and in wrestling, those are what we call "main eventers", those who draw the most. That's because we know that these are the ones that attract the fans to shows and we know that they're talented enough to make a storyline (or angle as we say in wrestling lingo) work. I was trying hard to find stories for our other characters but some of them were less talented and their character were often generic and bland. In our case, it is usually the wrestlers themselves who come up with their character and they pitch ideas that we try to blend in with our own ideas. Sometimes, it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I don't know in the case of Shelley Hennig what's exactly wrong with her character as I don't find Shelley herself to be that bad of an actress, although I'll grant you that her scenes in the morgue drawer were less than stellar (I honestly wished that she would've been gagged the whole time LOL). But it is clear to me, like everyone says on the board, that her character obviously lacks some depth and it's mainly because of everyone around her that she was interacting with is leaving or left the show. So, now, instead of covering their bases and build strong relationships, writers are now grasping at straws and taking the easy route, making Stephanie's character addicted to anti-anxiety medication, while they're probably figuring out what they'll do next with her.

Basically, in my book, I wouldn't place the blame on Shelley Hennig herself for the character as she's playing the hands that she's being dealt. For me, it's clearly a basic Writing 101 case of writers being clueless about how to make soap fans care about Stephanie Johnson.

That was my 2 cents. :)

Bradyclan

evilD
Jun 11 2009, 01:55 AM
Hahaha, yeah, you have no idea how many times a day I read stuff about fan hate about Triple H and John Cena and I won't disagree with you on which between wrestling fans and soap fans are worse because we could beat a dead horse endlessly.

But, to set a perhaps sloppy parallel between the writing of both shows, I wrote for a local wrestling promotion in my area for around 2 years and to be honest, it is extremely difficult to write something good for everyone because you tend to focus on your main characters. In soaps, those are the lead actors/actresses and in wrestling, those are what we call "main eventers", those who draw the most. That's because we know that these are the ones that attract the fans to shows and we know that they're talented enough to make a storyline (or angle as we say in wrestling lingo) work. I was trying hard to find stories for our other characters but some of them were less talented and their character were often generic and bland. In our case, it is usually the wrestlers themselves who come up with their character and they pitch ideas that we try to blend in with our own ideas. Sometimes, it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I don't know in the case of Shelley Hennig what's exactly wrong with her character as I don't find Shelley herself to be that bad of an actress, although I'll grant you that her scenes in the morgue drawer were less than stellar (I honestly wished that she would've been gagged the whole time LOL). But it is clear to me, like everyone says on the board, that her character obviously lacks some depth and it's mainly because of everyone around her that she was interacting with is leaving or left the show. So, now, instead of covering their bases and build strong relationships, writers are now grasping at straws and taking the easy route, making Stephanie's character addicted to anti-anxiety medication, while they're probably figuring out what they'll do next with her.

Basically, in my book, I wouldn't place the blame on Shelley Hennig herself for the character as she's playing the hands that she's being dealt. For me, it's clearly a basic Writing 101 case of writers being clueless about how to make soap fans care about Stephanie Johnson.

I totally agree. I personally don't blame Shelley. She's not bad. Sure, some of the stuff could have been better if portrayed by a stronger actress but all in all she's ok.

It's just they never really developped her character. Stephanie, especially when she returned from Dayton, has always been about a guy: Jeremy, Max, Philip.
She has never really been single. Her only storyline that was more about her was the rape.
Also, she is always written as a one note character who is needy, dependant and nags her boyfriends. It's annoying .
It didn't help that I never saw any chemistry in any of her pairings.

I'm sure the writers are struggling with her character . With her having no parents ( I must say that she did have chemistry with them though) and the two people that she had the most stories with gone ( Chelsea and Max), they virtually are starting from scratch.I think she's one of the characters that hurts the most by the recent firings and departures.

rars

Bradyclan
Jun 11 2009, 04:19 PM
evilD
Jun 11 2009, 01:55 AM

I totally agree. I personally don't blame Shelley. She's not bad. Sure, some of the stuff could have been better if portrayed by a stronger actress but all in all she's ok.

It's just they never really developped her character. Stephanie, especially when she returned from Dayton, has always been about a guy: Jeremy, Max, Philip.
She has never really been single. Her only storyline that was more about her was the rape.
Also, she is always written as a one note character who is needy, dependant and nags her boyfriends. It's annoying .
It didn't help that I never saw any chemistry in any of her pairings.

I'm sure the writers are struggling with her character . With her having no parents ( I must say that she did have chemistry with them though) and the two people that she had the most stories with gone ( Chelsea and Max), they virtually are starting from scratch.I think she's one of the characters that hurts the most by the recent firings and departures.
:shrug: :shame: IATACIA or I am totally and completely in agreement. Mr. Corday forgot how to please fans and build unforgettable characters....Stephanie ain't one

lovnphinie

I think the writers are doing really good things with stephanie's character. I read in the spoilers that she going to try and help sami keep johnny. Sami is going to find out about the kidnapping and ask her to testify against EJ. She already told philip she wouldn't say anything so this is going to hurt philip. She is going to be torn between her family and philip. Such a hard place to be.

The spoilers never said she was going to be addicted to drugs. She does overdose though. Her character is at the center of everything that is going on right now. She could end the fued but then Sami would lose johnny forever.

ytumbler8
Member Avatar

since james like fake ones, does that mean that at samis wedding to lucas, she really punched him?????? :huh?: well this week will definately be something. def. watch :applause:

ytumbler8
Member Avatar

lovnphinie
Jun 11 2009, 08:45 PM
I think the writers are doing really good things with stephanie's character. I read in the spoilers that she going to try and help sami keep johnny. Sami is going to find out about the kidnapping and ask her to testify against EJ. She already told philip she wouldn't say anything so this is going to hurt philip. She is going to be torn between her family and philip. Such a hard place to be.

The spoilers never said she was going to be addicted to drugs. She does overdose though. Her character is at the center of everything that is going on right now. She could end the fued but then Sami would lose johnny forever.
now i know what it means when steph is torn between family (sami) and philip

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Paxton
Jun 10 2009, 02:09 PM
Ellie
Jun 10 2009, 10:10 AM
However, Hennig says that when Max tells Steph to be careful, "it's a very sweet moment", because Steph and Max "will always be special to one another" though their romantic relationship did not work out.

Well, at least they're still family.

Thanks for posting, Ellie!
:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

littlemony
Member Avatar
Queen of the Underground

I'm interested to see how this storyline plays out, as well as seeing how well SH can play it. She seems like such a good girl IRL, like she's probably lived a very sheltered life. She better start watching some good movies with junkies in them to prepare herself for this role.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply