Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mark Hapka talks with soaps.com
Topic Started: Jun 15 2009, 03:16 PM (1,280 Views)
Ellie

http://www.soaps.com/daysofourlives/news/4546/Mark_Hapka_chats_with_Soapscom

The Hortons are few and far between, on DOOL, which had some fans concerned. As Soaps.com reported late spring, Salem's going to be blessed with a few more Hortons. Mark Hapka is coming to Salem to play Nathan Horton, son of Melissa. I caught up with Mark in June, where we discussed his new role.

Soaps.com: I thought it was great when I found out you actually have played on DOOL before, in a dream sequence as "Johnny DiMera," last year! I recall a few of us at Soaps.com enjoying those scenes and we're happy that you're coming on the show in more of a permanent capacity! Were you keeping your ears and eyes open, looking for other jobs on DOOL since then, or did this just fly into your lap? I mean, how did you hear of the audition?

Mark Hapka: "I remember being told that everyone (Gary and Marnie especially) was impressed with my small appearance. They liked my choices and how smoothly I adapted to the pressure filled, fast paced shooting style. I guess ever since then they had plans to get me back in there somehow. Believe it or not I tested for the role of Will. It seemed set until they cast Taylor as Mia, who was far too young to match me up with so they went back to sessions and brought in younger guys including Dylan who is doing the role justice now. Nathan Horton came around and it just seemed perfect, so here I am."

Soaps.com: How was the audition itself? How many others were auditioning and who did you read with?

Mark Hapka: "It was relaxed because I already had a relationship with everyone and didn't feel like I had to try hard to impress them. Marnie [Saitta] is the best CD [casting director] you can ask for to read with so the process in that office is always an enjoyable one!"

Soaps.com: Where were you when you learned you got the part?

MH: "At home rushing (late as always) to get to a screening of my film that just got back from winning 3rd place at Tribeca out of 90 films. The screening was at Endeavor and I got a conference call from my reps... that news plus my film's success equals a great day!"

Soaps.com: Can you say anything at all about your character "Nathan?" We hear so far that he's going to be living with Maggie, he's going to be a first year intern at University Hospital, but can you tell us anything about his personality?

MH: "His personality is loose. It's going to be great to see how fans adapt to him. He always means well and is extremely genuine. I'm sure we will hear what people think soon enough."

Soaps.com: "When did you start taping and who have you worked with so far?"

MH: "I spent all of June taping thus far...first episode airs this Wednesday. At this point I have had a chance to work with almost everyone, working in the hospital and all."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dr. Chip

Nathan "Horton," huh?

I still think they need to change his last name.

Keith
Member Avatar

Why does he sound just like Nick to me? lol

ytumbler8
Member Avatar

so will he be realted to everyone in salem as well?????????

lastDays
Member Avatar

Why is Days bringing on the son of charaters not even in Salem?

jane1978

Thanks! Rewatched the scene from 2008 and he would be waste as Will. Cannot wait to see him and Molly in a scene together.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

lastDays
Jun 15 2009, 04:26 PM
They want to hire cheap actors, but I guess they think if they're related to Salem's core families, we won't hate them as much as we would someone like that bitch Will and Mia are classmates with, or Mia's baby daddy.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I'm glad he's not Will as Dylan Patton is doing great IMO and he has great chem with Taylor, but I'm willing to give him a shot and if he is now a Horton I can deal with it.

I wish I knew what the character is "loose" means.

berlingirl
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting. I will have to wait and see if I like this character or not.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

It's kind of smart to bring on characters like this- somewhat connected to a core family, to shut all us bitching longer-term viewers up; but still totally open to interpretation. I suppose they could bring on the parents, too, but they're less flexible. And who needs to watch old people on tv (yuck!).

Most interesting thing to me- it sounds like they reconceived Will based on Mia, if they were considering him until they cast the actress playing her. I wouldn't have thought the plans developed that way.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Shouldn't his last name be Jannings?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Jun 16 2009, 12:59 PM
Shouldn't his last name be Jannings?
I thought so too but I just read in this week's SOD that it's not clear who his father is so who knows. Perhaps there is a reason why he took the name Horton (maybe because he wanted the perks that come with being a Horton working at the hospital). If that is the case, I hope that it's explained. I look forward to his debut tomorrow.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

^ Then that needs to be explained and not just something the audience should assume. Because unless Melissa had Nathan out of wedlock, then I want a damn explanation why his last name is Horton.

But I thought I read that Nathan was Melissa and Pete's son. Because I remember some fans bringing up the fact that Nathan and Melissa weren't together when both characters left the show, but it was just assumed that they reunited off-screen. Have they since changed that?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Jun 16 2009, 01:50 PM
^ Then that needs to be explained and not just something the audience should assume. Because unless Melissa had Nathan out of wedlock, then I want a damn explanation why his last name is Horton.

But I thought I read that Nathan was Melissa and Pete's son. Because I remember some fans bringing up the fact that Nathan and Melissa weren't together when both characters left the show, but it was just assumed that they reunited off-screen. Have they since changed that?
Oh, I agree. It has to be explained for sure.

Your right that when first reported in SOD it was mentioned that he was Pete and Melissa's but this week's SOD mentions that it's not clear who his father is so I think maybe they changed it or maybe SOD just assumed it was Pete's but I doubt it as Corday himself did that preview and mentioned he was Pete and Melissa's.

I'm ok either way as Melissa was offscreen so long and never really mentioned who she married when she did return at times. Plus, she was pregnant in 1996 when she returned for Bo and Hope's wedding, which ended up being called off. As you noted, they just need to be sure to explain why he has the name Horton if that is what they end up going with.

sungrey

Wasn't Lisa Trusel pregnant at the time Melissa came back for Hope and Bo's wedding?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

sungrey
Jun 17 2009, 10:51 AM
Wasn't Lisa Trusel pregnant at the time Melissa came back for Hope and Bo's wedding?

Yep and they wrote it in, which is why I don't mind bringing on her son so much. They just never mentioned during any of her visits who she's been with or married.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

ga68153
Jun 15 2009, 04:42 PM
lastDays
Jun 15 2009, 04:26 PM
They want to hire cheap actors, but I guess they think if they're related to Salem's core families, we won't hate them as much as we would someone like that bitch Will and Mia are classmates with, or Mia's baby daddy.
Yeah, they did the same with Nick even though his parents weren't in Salem.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply