Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wally Kurth to return as Justin Kiriakis
Topic Started: Jun 16 2009, 12:48 PM (7,196 Views)
Ives
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Jun 16 2009, 01:07 PM
I wonder if we should be expecting major cast cuts with these high players coming on-board.
More than the trashy way that vets were treater earlier this year?

I hate to say it, but it may be that they are planning to phase out John Aniston.

If they don't have Judi Evans returning, I would hate to see them trash Justin and Adrienne for a Carly/Justin hook up. But I don't think the current writer does too much more than love triangles. Geez, they should have had Wally on a few years ago with Judi.

After the crappy way they treated Stephen, Mary Beth, Thaao, LeeAnn, Drake and Deidre, these recent "vet" hirings feels like pouring salt and lemon on a wound.
Edited by Ives, Jun 16 2009, 01:15 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Angie79
Jun 16 2009, 01:06 PM
Wow! I like him. This is making the budget problems seem like bulllshit though. Crystal and Wally can't be that cheap to get.
Well, Crystal worked for GL so she is used to budget cuts and reduced salaries. Plus, her desire to move back to LA is at play too. I'm sure the cost was not that bad. As for Wally, he's been out of work for awhile and even before that GH basically had him on recurring so I doubt he is commanding a huge salary.

Days is in much better financial shape now. It's doing better in the ratings. It made cuts where it had to. I'm sure they are bringing back people who are willing to accept a certain type of salary only.

Also, I want to touch on brimike's point about Corday's "15 years" comment back in 2007. I believe that was just him frustrated that Steve and Kayla did nothing for the numbers. It still pisses me off because it was an obvious jab at them and it's all the show's fault for botching their return in the first place. Having said that, that comment came on the heels of bringing Judi Evans back as Adrienne (which I guess can be excused as him wanting to bring one of his buddies back on the show) so I knew not to take that seriously. It seemed more out of anger. Besides, he clearly is not interfering or in control right now. Tomlin is making all the calls and the show seems to following a long-term plan now and has been since December. This is the most consistent the show has been in years.

brimike

PhoenixRising05
Jun 16 2009, 01:16 PM
Angie79
Wow! I like him. This is making the budget problems seem like bulllshit though. Crystal and Wally can't be that cheap to get.
Well, Crystal worked for GL so she is used to budget cuts and reduced salaries. Plus, her desire to move back to LA is at play too. I'm sure the cost was not that bad. As for Wally, he's been out of work for awhile and even before that GH basically had him on recurring so I doubt he is commanding a huge salary.

Days is in much better financial shape now. It's doing better in the ratings. It made cuts where it had to. I'm sure they are bringing back people who are willing to accept a certain type of salary only.

Also, I want to touch on brimike's point about Corday's "15 years" comment back in 2007. I believe that was just him frustrated that Steve and Kayla did nothing for the numbers. It still pisses me off because it was an obvious jab at them and it's all the show's fault for botching their return in the first place. Having said that, that comment came on the heels of bringing Judi Evans back as Adrienne (which I guess can be excused as him wanting to bring one of his buddies back on the show) so I knew not to take that seriously. It seemed more out of anger. Besides, he clearly is not interfering or in control right now. Tomlin is making all the calls and the show seems to following a long-term plan now and has been since December. This is the most consistent the show has been in years.
Oh, you'll hear no argument from me, PR. I agree - Tomlin is running the show, and there is a plan. Just making a wise-ass crack at another Corday gaffe. Can't resist. ;)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ives
Jun 16 2009, 01:14 PM
DrewHamilton
I wonder if we should be expecting major cast cuts with these high players coming on-board.
More than the trashy way that vets were treater earlier this year?

I hate to say it, but it may be that they are planning to phase out John Aniston.

If they don't have Judi Evans returning, I would hate to see them trash Justin and Adrienne for a Carly/Justin hook up. But I don't think the current writer does too much more than love triangles. Geez, they should have had Wally on a few years ago with Judi.

After the crappy way they treated Stephen, Mary Beth, Thaao, LeeAnn, Drake and Deidre, these recent "vet" hirings feels like pouring salt and lemon on a wound.
I doubt they will phase out John Aniston. They've given him more to do then he has in years and if Higley has any sort of power left (and I doubt it's much), she won't let it happen. She has always used him. I also think that John Aniston was a big reason why Jay Johnson stayed on last Fall. I think the Victor aspect of Philip's story made a big difference. Jay loves John. Plus, Tomlin loves characters like Victor. If anything, Justin may bring more story for Victor. Drew pointed out the conflict that could come with Justin returning to the Kiriakis fold so there you go.

I can see how this is a jab at fans of the vets who were axed. However, I can see why the show is bringing back who they brought back as these characters can easily be molded into the canvas without too much audience backlash. There isn't as much history and, even if there is, many probably won't even know the characters to begin with.

Personally, I was never a big fan of Justin and Adrienne to begin with. They were boring at times. I loved both characters but together they just got more and more boring over time. I wouldn't mind them breaking up.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Meh. These random blasts from the past are nice but Carly and Justin should've been way down the pecking order of potential returns. They could barely manage five lines a month for Stephen Nichols yet there's story for Justin?!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

brimike
Jun 16 2009, 01:21 PM
PhoenixRising05
Angie79

Oh, you'll hear no argument from me, PR. I agree - Tomlin is running the show, and there is a plan. Just making a wise-ass crack at another Corday gaffe. Can't resist. ;)
Understandable LOL.

It drives me mad though that Tomlin brings back characters like Carly and Justin now when there has been so many opportunities over the years to bring them back yet Corday always seemed to go back to the same sort of well of supercouples/popular couples only rather then bringing back characters like this. The problem with only bringing characters back like that back is your so boxed in because most of the fans want Steve with Kayla or Austin with Carrie and so on. This is the first time since the early 90's I see the show making strategic moves with casting. It seems they are making moves with a purpose and not just to say "Look at who we brought back...come home and watch your couple reunite!!" There is clearly more thought behind the moves being made and I give props to Tomlin for that. That is why I like him. he makes a move and sticks to his guns and that is important in a leader.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ponz
Jun 16 2009, 01:24 PM
Meh. These random blasts from the past are nice but Carly and Justin should've been way down the pecking order of potential returns. They could barely manage five lines a month for Stephen Nichols yet there's story for Justin?!
SN was clearly in the Tomlin doghouse in his last few months.

I understand what your saying but who should they bring back? Jack and Jennifer have a happy ending. Steve and Kayla are off somewhere happy. J&M are off somewhere, presumably happy despite his condition. Considering what the current regime is trying to do, it may be better just to leave those characters alone and let their fans be at peace with that rather then trying to circle the drain again on stories for most of them. Steve and Kayla are the only ones I see an actual need for, to be honest.

The show is fresh and the canvas needs to remain that way or the show is just going back to square one on every level (including financially). It seems to be in the best interest of the show, especially currently, to make moves like this and continue as is.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Wow.

I love Wally Kurth and I'll miss Judi Evans if she doesn't return since Justin and Adrienne are supposed to be married. That couple was from before I started watching though.

Mason
Member Avatar

Random, but I like it. I hope this means Judi Evans will be back soon, too.

Mason
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
I certainly hope so. They can start with the entire Lucas/Chloe/Daniel triangle.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Ponz
This is great news. I think Justin could be involved in the Kiriakis/Dimera feud. My guess is this is only a temporary truce formed this week.

I know everyone is assuming that Carly will be thrust into a Bo/Hope/Carly triangle. I wouldn't mind seeing Carly and Justin as a potential couple. Crystal's first scenes on Days were with Wally.

lene
Member Avatar

Great news. I hope they are bringing Judi Evans back now too.
Edited by lene, Jun 16 2009, 01:41 PM.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

PhoenixRising05
Angie79

I know they won't cost as people like Drake and Deidre, but adding them to the cast plus all of the new people has to add up.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

dc cubs
Jun 16 2009, 01:40 PM
Ponz
This is great news. I think Justin could be involved in the Kiriakis/Dimera feud. My guess is this is only a temporary truce formed this week.

I know everyone is assuming that Carly will be thrust into a Bo/Hope/Carly triangle. I wouldn't mind seeing Carly and Justin as a potential couple. Crystal's first scenes on Days were with Wally.
I am not happy with this at all. I would prefer to have kept Steve OR Kayla then to bring back a veteran who has no real reason to be around (unless they are gonna highlight his Kiriakis heritage). The time to bring him back was when they had Adrienne on but I doubt they bring her back and I hated to see Steve/Kayla go (without any kind of fanfare whatsoever) so Stephanie has no one to support her. Very frustrating. And if he is shoe horned into Bo/Hope/Carly, then that means he and Adrienne will have broken off screen when she was just on last year while he was off screen.

And so my ditterness continues.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Well, there is a reason to bring Justin back with the Kiriakis family getting so much attention. Justin was like a son to Victor, and like I said in a previous post, I think a rivalry developing between the two cousins for Victor's attention would be great. Perhaps Victor's getting ready to retire and Justin comes home just in time to take control of Titan, but Philip's not going to let his father's company go to his cousin. So many possibilities.

Charmqn
Member Avatar

I actually believe Judi won't be far behind.

I love it..Tomlin is on fire

yeah, DOOL is actually one of the better shaped soaps-financially..I think OLTL is the only soap that is not over budgeted.
Edited by Charmqn, Jun 16 2009, 02:01 PM.

lastDays
Member Avatar

I wonder how long he will be on the show.Probably just as a short term stint.Days has too many actors on it already

Jason47
Member Avatar

Daytime Emmy winner Wally Kurth is reprising his role as Justin Kiriakis beginning Monday, August 10, 2009. Kurth portrayed Justin from February 1987-February 1991. 4,700 episodes will have aired since his last appearance on Februart 5, 1991. Kurth's return breaks a "Days" record for the longest span of episodes between appearances by a male actor. The previous record was held by Andrew Masset (who went 4,297 episodes between appearances as Larry Welch; Thaao Penghlis who leads the list below had appeared in dual roles on "Days"). Kurth won an Emmy for composing the song "Barefoot Ballet" for "General Hospital" in 2002. He has also been nominated for two Soap Opera Digest Awards (as supporting actor in 1994 and hottest male in 1996).
While on "Days" from 1987-1991, Kurth arrived in town as Justin Kiriakis, the nephew of Victor Kiriakis. Kurth was paired with Judi Evans as his love interest, Adrienne Johnson. They were married on location in Greece, in what was at the time "Days" most expensive wedding shoot ever, on November 16, 1987. During their marriage, Justin had an affair with Anjelica Deveraux and had a son with her, Alexander. Before leaving Salem and moving to Texas in 1991, Justin and Adrienne adopted two twins, Joey and Victor, and Adrienne gave birth to their son, Jackson, off-screen. Adrienne briefly returned to Salem from 2007-2008 and was still married to Justin, who was never seen on-screen. She left town in 2008 and mentioned that she, Justin and the kids were moving to Dubai.
Kurth got his start on "Days of Our Lives." In "Days of Our Lives: The Complete Family Album", he stated that: "Days was my first professional television gig.  The first year was magical.  I loved the part of the story when rich Justin was pretending to be a construction worker while courting Adrienne.  The scenes just sitting on park bences and talking were very sweet." After leaving "Days", Kurth would go on to play Ned Ashton on "General Hospital" from 1991-2005 and Sam Hutchins on "As the World Turns" from 2007-2008. He also hosted the SoapNet series "1 Day With..." from 2004-2005, which featured him spending a day with various soap stars.
Wallace Berkeley Kurth, 50, was born on July 31, 1958 in Billings, Montana. He is married to Debra Yuhasz and has three children, Meghan, Rosabel and Brogan.

Most Episodes Aired Between Appearances as the Same Character:
Rank. Actor (Character; Last Appearance-Return Appearance) Episodes Aired
1. Thaao Penghlis (Tony DiMera; 10/24/85-7/19/07) 5531
2. Leann Hunley (Anna DiMera; 7/10/86-6/21/07)  5332
3. Marie Cheatham (Marie Horton; 10/25/73-6/28/94) 5322
4. Wally Kurth (Justin Kiriakis; 2/5/91-8/10/09) 4700
5. Andrew Masset (Larry Welch; 12/9/85-10/15/02) 4297
6. Judi Evans (Adrienne Kiriakis; 2/5/91-5/1/07) 4119
7. Crystal Chappell (Carly Manning; 10/18/93-10/09) 4050+
8. Stephen Nichols (Steve Johnson; 10/26/90-6/9/06) 3960
9. Mary Beth Evans (Kayla Johnson; 5/26/92-6/12/06) 3557
10. Billy Warlock (Frankie Brady; 7/12/91-6/27/05) 3537

http://www.jason47.com

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Do we know if Justin and Adrienne are still married? I hardly remember Adrienne mentioning him when she was last in Salem. I don't think it was ever said they separated but they never really explained why Adrienne was in Salem and Justin was elsewhere.

ETA I see Jason just answered my question.
Edited by dc cubs, Jun 16 2009, 02:07 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

dc cubs
Jun 16 2009, 02:05 PM
Do we know if Justin and Adrienne are still married? I hardly remember Adrienne mentioning him when she was last in Salem. I don't think it was ever said they separated but they never really explained why Adrienne was in Salem and Justin was elsewhere.
They were still married when Adrienne was last seen. She told Steve that she, Justin, and the kids were moving to Dubai.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply