Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wally Kurth to return as Justin Kiriakis
Topic Started: Jun 16 2009, 12:48 PM (7,096 Views)
granolagirl
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jun 16 2009, 10:02 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jun 16 2009, 09:57 PM
Here is the way I think about it:

40% cut= Drake and Dee, pay cuts of production staff and crew, axing of crew members, pay cuts by cast members, adjustments made to save money on sets and studio usage, maybe cuts of SN and MBE.

New additions/returns: Cuts of SN/MBE/TP, loss of Melvin and Brooks, money saved from JER no longer on the books, revenue garnered from saved money and from ratings/etc.

That is the way I see it. Perhaps I'm wrong but I do know the show is in a much better financial situation then it was and in a much better creative situation then it was so I can totally understand how they are pulling this off and how they can even add a few more people to the mix.
We're just going to have to disagree on all of this. I have no idea why you're choosing to put MBE/SN et al after the 40% cuts, but it never appeared to me that that was the case.

I agree, for a few reasons. One is that together, DH and DH were probably making $2 million/year at the outside, or $40,000/week. The last time Days had budget cuts, I remember they had to cut $1 million/week. I'm assuming that the 40% cut was at least that drastic. Even if you calculate it so that you're only talking about weeks that the show is taping, it looks like those two salaries were just a fraction of the required cut.

The other is that Days had been reducing costs in various ways for a long time, which means there probably wasn't as much fat to cut in production costs as might be imagined. I don't know the details of the shooting schedule now, but it had been pared down before, too. The reduced number of sets wasn't quite as noticeable before, but it's been creeping up on us.

I also somewhat doubt that any extra revenue is coming in from the ratings at the moment. They're up somewhat, but ad revenues are down with the recession, so it seems like a wash.
Edited by granolagirl, Jun 17 2009, 12:19 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jason47
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jun 16 2009, 10:24 PM
IMissAremid
Jun 16 2009, 10:18 PM
As annoying as these people coming back when other more-loved (at least by me) actors have been sent packing, I don't buy the idea that these hirings are automatically proof that the release of the DHs, TP and SN and MBE had nothing to do with money.

Yeah, a part of it was story but someone (and more than likely more than one someone) is going to get fired to pay for CC and WK and whoever else is coming back.

Don't Nadia and Shawn have contracts coming up again soon at the end of the summer/early fall? I could see them sending Lauren Koslow and/or Bryan Dattilo out at the conclusion of this story as well.
Good post, and, yes, Nadia's contract is up in November. Shawn's is up in March but that won't stop them, as we've seen before. Lauren's is up in January and Bryan is up in February.

In fact, here is the contract info from Jason47's site:

Kristian Alfonso (Hope): June 2009
Nadia Bjorlin (Chloe): November 2009
Darin Brooks (Max): June 2010
Molly Burnett (Melanie): July 2011
John Callahan (Richard): December 2009
Shawn Christian (Daniel): March 2010
Bryan Dattilo (Lucas): February 2010
Galen Gering (Rafe): October 2012
Shelley Hennig (Stephanie): April 2010
Jay Johnson (Philip): January 2011
Renee Jones (Lexie): June 2009
Lauren Koslow (Kate): January 2010
Eric Martsolf (Brady): November 2012
Joseph Mascolo (Stefano): August 2009
Peggy McCay (Caroline): July 2009
Rachel Melvin (Chelsea): May 2009
Dylan Patton (Will): February 2012
Wes Ramsey (Owen): April 2012
Peter Reckell (Bo): August 2009
Frances Reid (Alice): Lifetime
James Reynolds (Abe): May 2010
Suzanne Rogers (Maggie): June 2009
James Scott (E.J.): May 2011
Taylor Spreitler (Mia): February 2012
Alison Sweeney (Sami): September 2009
Josh Taylor (Roman): May 2010
Felisha Terrell (Arianna): April 2012
Arianne Zucker (Nicole): March 2010

http://sites.google.com/site/jason47days/actor-news

I think Wes Ramsey's is wrong, unless he is returning at some point but there are many contracts up. I don't think we have to worry about Peter and Kristian now with Carly returning and especially since we know they took cuts back in November. Same goes for Sweeney. I think she is here to stay.

I will say that Nadia and Shawn will be gone. Lauren will stick around as she has seen a surge in material since Tomlin came on. I think she will take another cut and stay. Bryan...who knows. Ali Sweeney may step in and save his job but I can see him on the chopping block.

They never seem to report contracts much anymore. I'm just left to do my best guessing, since only major renewals are announced in the magazines. Looks like it's time to update Kristian, Renee and Suzanne to 2010. We'd have heard something by now if they were leaving. As it states on my site, I try to be as accurate as possible, but there always might be an error or two.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jane1978

granolagirl
Jun 17 2009, 12:14 AM
Ellie
Jun 16 2009, 10:02 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jun 16 2009, 09:57 PM
Here is the way I think about it:

40% cut= Drake and Dee, pay cuts of production staff and crew, axing of crew members, pay cuts by cast members, adjustments made to save money on sets and studio usage, maybe cuts of SN and MBE.

New additions/returns: Cuts of SN/MBE/TP, loss of Melvin and Brooks, money saved from JER no longer on the books, revenue garnered from saved money and from ratings/etc.

That is the way I see it. Perhaps I'm wrong but I do know the show is in a much better financial situation then it was and in a much better creative situation then it was so I can totally understand how they are pulling this off and how they can even add a few more people to the mix.
We're just going to have to disagree on all of this. I have no idea why you're choosing to put MBE/SN et al after the 40% cuts, but it never appeared to me that that was the case.

I agree, for a few reasons. One is that together, DH and DH were probably making $2 million/year at the outside, or $40,000/week. The last time Days had budget cuts, I remember they had to cut $1 million/week. I'm assuming that the 40% cut was at least that drastic. Even if you calculate it so that you're only talking about weeks that the show is taping, it looks like those two salaries were just a fraction of the required cut.

The other is that Days had been reducing costs in various ways for a long time, which means there probably wasn't as much fat to cut in production costs as might be imagined. I don't know the details of the shooting schedule now, but it had been pared down before, too. The reduced number of sets wasn't quite as noticeable before, but it's been creeping up on us.

I also somewhat doubt that any extra revenue is coming in from the ratings at the moment. They're up somewhat, but ad revenues are down with the recession, so it seems like a wash.
DAYS never had to cut $1 million/week, thatīs crazy. The highest fee NBC paid for DAYS was around 1,7 million/week. The last time we heard about the negotiation it was reduced to 1,3 million/week. Now it is somewhere under 1 million/week, but nobody knows the exact number.

As for the reduction, the biggest part is the studio time. All this decade DAYS is taping in quicked and quicker mode. The show used to tape even on saturdays during big storylines, now they are doing 7 shows in 4 days so there can be week long studio dark each month. There are no rehearsals and no second takes unless you really screwup.
I remember how many times I read about actors taping till midnight, now TPTB would hate and probably get rid quickly of anyone who is not able to keep the pace and causes overtime.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

I feel like a broken record mentioning this, but I can't believe nobody else has - the show is saving a FORTUNE by not having to pay JER and/or his estate any longer:
- His contract was for 6 years I believe
- His first credit date was 11 August 2003
- Head writers are normally hired and being paid for a month or 2 before they actually appear
- the end of his contract would be approximately now.

Thats where the money is coming from.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

jane1978
Jun 17 2009, 02:05 AM
DAYS never had to cut $1 million/week, thatīs crazy. The highest fee NBC paid for DAYS was around 1,7 million/week. The last time we heard about the negotiation it was reduced to 1,3 million/week. Now it is somewhere under 1 million/week, but nobody knows the exact number.
I'm looking for the quote; I think it was in an interview with an actor or actress in 2006 or so. If it wasn't a million, the number was given as a fraction of a million -- so an order of magnitude larger than what the DH's salaries were probably eating up each week.
Edited by granolagirl, Jun 17 2009, 02:55 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Southofsoap
Jun 17 2009, 02:37 AM
I feel like a broken record mentioning this, but I can't believe nobody else has - the show is saving a FORTUNE by not having to pay JER and/or his estate any longer:
- Head writers are normally hired and being paid for a month or 2 before they actually appear

I actually mentioned this at least twice and it seemed glossed over so maybe you mentioning it will make a difference LOL.

Your right,,,that is saving a bundle right there and that may certainly play into the timing of these returns.

I also agree with Jane's post. The way the show is filming now is saving money too.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Jason47
Jun 17 2009, 01:56 AM
PhoenixRising05
IMissAremid
As annoying as these people coming back when other more-loved (at least by me) actors have been sent packing, I don't buy the idea that these hirings are automatically proof that the release of the DHs, TP and SN and MBE had nothing to do with money.

Yeah, a part of it was story but someone (and more than likely more than one someone) is going to get fired to pay for CC and WK and whoever else is coming back.

Don't Nadia and Shawn have contracts coming up again soon at the end of the summer/early fall? I could see them sending Lauren Koslow and/or Bryan Dattilo out at the conclusion of this story as well.
Good post, and, yes, Nadia's contract is up in November. Shawn's is up in March but that won't stop them, as we've seen before. Lauren's is up in January and Bryan is up in February.

I think Wes Ramsey's is wrong, unless he is returning at some point but there are many contracts up. I don't think we have to worry about Peter and Kristian now with Carly returning and especially since we know they took cuts back in November. Same goes for Sweeney. I think she is here to stay.

I will say that Nadia and Shawn will be gone. Lauren will stick around as she has seen a surge in material since Tomlin came on. I think she will take another cut and stay. Bryan...who knows. Ali Sweeney may step in and save his job but I can see him on the chopping block.

They never seem to report contracts much anymore. I'm just left to do my best guessing, since only major renewals are announced in the magazines. Looks like it's time to update Kristian, Renee and Suzanne to 2010. We'd have heard something by now if they were leaving. As it states on my site, I try to be as accurate as possible, but there always might be an error or two.
Your hard work is greatly appreciated, Jason.

It must be hard, especially now, since the show doesn't seem to confirm or provide info on contracts anymore. You may be right that it's time to extend Renee, Peter, and Kristian because it is mid-June and we have nothing on their leaving yet. Not surprised as I expected all three to stay anyway.

ytumbler8
Member Avatar

i am glad that he is returning but i hate that jarlena and stayla left cause their kids need them now. i hate how somwtimes they get rid of good actors for new ones and then complain about the money issues. really how are all these people getting payed????????

misch
Member Avatar

ytumbler8
Jun 17 2009, 07:58 AM
i am glad that he is returning but i hate that jarlena and stayla left cause their kids need them now. i hate how somwtimes they get rid of good actors for new ones and then complain about the money issues. really how are all these people getting payed????????

I agree wholeheartedly that j/m should be on cavas because of the family. But PR mention above about the JER estate not having to be paid anymore and the production model. I do hope they will eventually return. I am siked the CC is coming back for CC and DHall are the reasons, with their storylines, I began watching the show.
Edited by misch, Jun 17 2009, 08:11 AM.

lene
Member Avatar

Since their bringing back people, I hope they bring back Christie Clark too......

sungrey

PhoenixRising05
Jun 16 2009, 10:16 PM
I actually felt Tomlin liked MBE and wanted to keep her. Afterall, we started seeing her more then Steve. It was clear that he despised SN because he hardly even got any lines under Tomlin.
My biggest fear about Gary Tomlin is that he was under orders from NBC to create "Passions 2.0". The idiots that run NBC will do anything to keep the memory alive by bringing on Galen, Eric, etc.

Surprisingly, his vision for Days hasn't been that bad. Galen still can't act, but he has some chemistry with AS and the couple has a following. The newbies they're adding have some story behind them (and I noticed in the new SOD they've backed away from saying Nathan is Pete's son... I guess we find out because he comes on today) and they're using characters like Caroline and Maggie in decent situations.

I like the fact Crystal's coming back and Wally, although I think you could bring Judi back and not do much damage to the budget. After all, it seems like people are responding to Days again.

daysfan
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jun 17 2009, 03:05 AM
Southofsoap
Jun 17 2009, 02:37 AM

I actually mentioned this at least twice and it seemed glossed over so maybe you mentioning it will make a difference LOL.

Your right,,,that is saving a bundle right there and that may certainly play into the timing of these returns.

I also agree with Jane's post. The way the show is filming now is saving money too.
Indeed, both of you are very right about JER....hell, it shocks me that he died yet Days was still BOUND to pay his estate through 2009....but it is probably, at long last, coming to a close now....and didn't he have one HELL of a paycheck?

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

The thing that's frustrating me about this thread is the total lack of hard data. Everybody's just guessing because nobody has a clue about how much the vets actually made, how much the newbies will make, how much the show will save not paying JER's estate (and are they still paying Sheffer too?), or even what the show's budget is, right? I mean, are there hard numbers out there somewhere?

lysie
Member Avatar

Paxton
Jun 17 2009, 09:33 AM
The thing that's frustrating me about this thread is the total lack of hard data. Everybody's just guessing because nobody has a clue about how much the vets actually made, how much the newbies will make, how much the show will save not paying JER's estate (and are they still paying Sheffer too?), or even what the show's budget is, right? I mean, are there hard numbers out there somewhere?

Oh, there are. But why on earth would we have access to them? LOL, I can't even remember how much I make year.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Ellie
Jun 16 2009, 11:14 PM
I can't figure the guy out. He always makes comments that indicate he's miserable, yet he always sticks around. I remember the comments you're referring to when Thaao was fired, and it did sound like Joe was really upset about that. He's made comments in the past as well when Stefano was written poorly. I can't imagine he's thrilled with the writing now. But none of that in the past has seemed to impact whether he stays or not - yet on B&B, it did. Maybe he just wants to be on Days above anything else.

He's a whore. It's probably very good money for doing very little, and the character is all important and whatnot, even if the feud reveal made him, imho, pathetic, ridiculous and weak. And stupid. And annoying.

Here's the thing for me- wherever the money came from to hire these particular people back...why these particular people?

If it's going for cast members, I'd rather they use it to try and secure guest spots for Marlena/Steve/Kayla when necessary. Like when someone gets kidnapped or their lover gets shot. Or a baby dies.

What's the point of full-on returns for people who are sort-of connected to a core family; people who weren't THAT missed?

I dunno. Guess it's better than Melanie's long-lost mother (though...that could be fun, depending on who they cast) or more Rafe-relatives.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

lysie
Jun 17 2009, 09:46 AM
Paxton

Oh, there are. But why on earth would we have access to them? LOL, I can't even remember how much I make year.
Well, I know that Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili will make $12,600,000 and $10,728,130 respectively for the '09-10 season, for example. The numbers are out there for pro athletes. Even in the acting field it seems like the information is available at least sometimes, like I vaguely remember when it was a big deal when the actors on Friends were negotiating their salaries. I've just always found it weird that we seem to have literally almost no idea what these people make.

lysie
Member Avatar

px780
Jun 17 2009, 09:48 AM
Ellie
I can't figure the guy out. He always makes comments that indicate he's miserable, yet he always sticks around. I remember the comments you're referring to when Thaao was fired, and it did sound like Joe was really upset about that. He's made comments in the past as well when Stefano was written poorly. I can't imagine he's thrilled with the writing now. But none of that in the past has seemed to impact whether he stays or not - yet on B&B, it did. Maybe he just wants to be on Days above anything else.

He's a whore. It's probably very good money for doing very little, and the character is all important and whatnot, even if the feud reveal made him, imho, pathetic, ridiculous and weak. And stupid. And annoying.

Here's the thing for me- wherever the money came from to hire these particular people back...why these particular people?

If it's going for cast members, I'd rather they use it to try and secure guest spots for Marlena/Steve/Kayla when necessary. Like when someone gets kidnapped or their lover gets shot. Or a baby dies.

What's the point of full-on returns for people who are sort-of connected to a core family; people who weren't THAT missed?

I dunno. Guess it's better than Melanie's long-lost mother (though...that could be fun, depending on who they cast) or more Rafe-relatives.
I agree. Aside from the time that Adrienne was back, I've never seen anyone rallying for the show to bring back Justin Kiriakis. Same can be said for Carly.

KathyRon

PhoenixRising05
IMissAremid

Jason hasn't updated yet, but Kristian & Peter already have renewed their contracts! :dance:

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Paxton

Maybe someone can find the link about the 40% cut (I remember reading an interview where it was mentioned, but can't recall the specifics), but this variety article (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117995680.html?categoryid=14&cs=1) mentions the pre-renewal budget of $1.7-1.8m per week. Assuming the 40% cut is true, that would leave Days on a weekly budget of around $1m. (The other interesting tidbit in the article is that should the show meet certain targets (i.e. ratings) it will automatically get another year renewal - I'd be keen to know what that rating threshold is - knowing NBC, its probably related to Women 18-49 rather than total viewership).

The only other "hard" data I have seen published was from the thread about Dee Hall's divorce where it implied she earned $1.3m per year or $25,000 per week.

jane1978

lysie
Jun 17 2009, 09:57 AM
px780
Jun 17 2009, 09:48 AM
Ellie

I agree. Aside from the time that Adrienne was back, I've never seen anyone rallying for the show to bring back Justin Kiriakis. Same can be said for Carly.
You are right, but Tanna, Stayla, Carrie/Austin or Jack/Jennifer were all big returns promoted by Corday and the show and they were brought back as the leading characters. We donīt know anything about what WK return is about. There is no big announcement from Corday, no big hallo or attempt to build the publicity. All we have is short blurb about his arrival and the first airdate. Who knows why Tomlin or Higley needs the character. In the state soaps are now EPīs can pick and point at almost anyone and he/she will happily accept any offer he gets. For all we know his return can be shortterm and he will be killed in some climax of a upcoming storyline after being mysterious characters having a few lines for weeks.

So far the only one who makes these return big are media and we fans. The show is mum. In fact, if WK first appear on screen in early August that means he is about to start taping and that means the deal had to be done some time ago. That the show didnīt even bother to get the news out as soon as he signed is very telling.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply