Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wally Kurth to return as Justin Kiriakis
Topic Started: Jun 16 2009, 12:48 PM (7,097 Views)
Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Southofsoap
Jun 17 2009, 10:49 AM
Paxton
Jun 17 2009, 09:33 AM
The thing that's frustrating me about this thread is the total lack of hard data. Everybody's just guessing because nobody has a clue about how much the vets actually made, how much the newbies will make, how much the show will save not paying JER's estate (and are they still paying Sheffer too?), or even what the show's budget is, right? I mean, are there hard numbers out there somewhere?

Maybe someone can find the link about the 40% cut (I remember reading an interview where it was mentioned, but can't recall the specifics), but this variety article (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117995680.html?categoryid=14&cs=1) mentions the pre-renewal budget of $1.7-1.8m per week. Assuming the 40% cut is true, that would leave Days on a weekly budget of around $1m. (The other interesting tidbit in the article is that should the show meet certain targets (i.e. ratings) it will automatically get another year renewal - I'd be keen to know what that rating threshold is - knowing NBC, its probably related to Women 18-49 rather than total viewership).

The only other "hard" data I have seen published was from the thread about Dee Hall's divorce where it implied she earned $1.3m per year or $25,000 per week.
Interesting, thank you. Are the licensing fees from NBC the only sources of the show's revenue?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

KathyRon
Jun 17 2009, 10:05 AM
PhoenixRising05
Jun 16 2009, 10:24 PM
IMissAremid
Jun 16 2009, 10:18 PM
As annoying as these people coming back when other more-loved (at least by me) actors have been sent packing, I don't buy the idea that these hirings are automatically proof that the release of the DHs, TP and SN and MBE had nothing to do with money.

Yeah, a part of it was story but someone (and more than likely more than one someone) is going to get fired to pay for CC and WK and whoever else is coming back.

Don't Nadia and Shawn have contracts coming up again soon at the end of the summer/early fall? I could see them sending Lauren Koslow and/or Bryan Dattilo out at the conclusion of this story as well.
Good post, and, yes, Nadia's contract is up in November. Shawn's is up in March but that won't stop them, as we've seen before. Lauren's is up in January and Bryan is up in February.

In fact, here is the contract info from Jason47's site:

Kristian Alfonso (Hope): June 2009
Nadia Bjorlin (Chloe): November 2009
Darin Brooks (Max): June 2010
Molly Burnett (Melanie): July 2011
John Callahan (Richard): December 2009
Shawn Christian (Daniel): March 2010
Bryan Dattilo (Lucas): February 2010
Galen Gering (Rafe): October 2012
Shelley Hennig (Stephanie): April 2010
Jay Johnson (Philip): January 2011
Renee Jones (Lexie): June 2009
Lauren Koslow (Kate): January 2010
Eric Martsolf (Brady): November 2012
Joseph Mascolo (Stefano): August 2009
Peggy McCay (Caroline): July 2009
Rachel Melvin (Chelsea): May 2009
Dylan Patton (Will): February 2012
Wes Ramsey (Owen): April 2012
Peter Reckell (Bo): August 2009
Frances Reid (Alice): Lifetime
James Reynolds (Abe): May 2010
Suzanne Rogers (Maggie): June 2009
James Scott (E.J.): May 2011
Taylor Spreitler (Mia): February 2012
Alison Sweeney (Sami): September 2009
Josh Taylor (Roman): May 2010
Felisha Terrell (Arianna): April 2012
Arianne Zucker (Nicole): March 2010

http://sites.google.com/site/jason47days/actor-news

I think Wes Ramsey's is wrong, unless he is returning at some point but there are many contracts up. I don't think we have to worry about Peter and Kristian now with Carly returning and especially since we know they took cuts back in November. Same goes for Sweeney. I think she is here to stay.

I will say that Nadia and Shawn will be gone. Lauren will stick around as she has seen a surge in material since Tomlin came on. I think she will take another cut and stay. Bryan...who knows. Ali Sweeney may step in and save his job but I can see him on the chopping block.

Jason hasn't updated yet, but Kristian & Peter already have renewed their contracts! :dance:
Thanks. That is good to know, although not very surprising. I just wish the mags would report this like they used to.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Paxton
Jun 17 2009, 09:33 AM
The thing that's frustrating me about this thread is the total lack of hard data. Everybody's just guessing because nobody has a clue about how much the vets actually made, how much the newbies will make, how much the show will save not paying JER's estate (and are they still paying Sheffer too?), or even what the show's budget is, right? I mean, are there hard numbers out there somewhere?

Hogan went FiCore during the 2008 strike right before he was fired....now its been so long i can't remember, but does that make it that after the FiCore writer is fired you don't have to pay them like you would a WGA Writer?

But at the same time, JER went FiCore and they still had to pay him...then again, THAT had to be one contract that I'm sure Hogan or no other writer in Days HISTORY has ever gotten. Its been confirmed by many many reliable sources that JER had a 6 year contract, and that it was very high paying...I mean, the man died and they still have to pay him, so who really knows about whether they are still paying Hogan.

His contract would probably be over now anyway, though, or just ending....usually, writers only get 2-4 year contracts, right? Not sure on that though.

Paxton
Member Avatar

I guess what I'm still getting at is, what does "very high paying" mean in this context? Half a million a year? A million a year? I mean, I literally haven't the slightest clue what soap head writers make, which is why it makes it very hard to figure how much effect JER's ending contract would have. I'm still puzzled at how a contract for personal services couldn't terminate on the writer's death; I'd like to see that contract. Or, why didn't Corday try to buy it out? I guess maybe he did and we don't know.

I will say that this discussion is more interesting to me than any storyline involving Danloe/Lucas, Melanie, Will and Mia, or Stephanie (as currently written), so there's that.

jane1978

Paxton
Jun 17 2009, 01:31 PM
I guess what I'm still getting at is, what does "very high paying" mean in this context? Half a million a year? A million a year? I mean, I literally haven't the slightest clue what soap head writers make, which is why it makes it very hard to figure how much effect JER's ending contract would have. I'm still puzzled at how a contract for personal services couldn't terminate on the writer's death; I'd like to see that contract. Or, why didn't Corday try to buy it out? I guess maybe he did and we don't know.

I will say that this discussion is more interesting to me than any storyline involving Danloe/Lucas, Melanie, Will and Mia, or Stephanie (as currently written), so there's that.
Deidre was paid 1,3 mil. for her last year, after all the budget cuts and with limited guarantee. No way was JER pair worse than her, so accounting much better financial situation of the show in 2003 and JER being the biggest name in the biz (with the biggest ego), I think 4-5 mil. a year is a good quess.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Paxton
Jun 17 2009, 01:31 PM

How much exactly? I'm not sure, everything I've read for years is always that its huge...back when Hogan was still with the show, I also read a few times that he cost alot too, but I think his contract would be expired by now either way.

Was JER paid more than Drake/Deidre? Honestly, I don't know about THAT...but I would say maybe just a little less or around the same? Oh, I don't know an exact number, its always just been said that it was a very hefty paycheck...and I think its because NBC loved him and probably forced Corday's hand, which is why he got such a long, expensive(apparently), even-have-to-pay-after-death contract.

Mason
Member Avatar

daysfan
Jun 17 2009, 04:16 PM
Was JER paid more than Drake/Deidre?
It wouldn't surprise me. I've read about how the writers in daytime are often paid even more than the actors, and especially JER, I'm sure.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Oh God I just had a horrible thought.

With the show so quiet about this... what if Justin Kiriakis is simply a short return like for Victor's funeral or something?

Kenny
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Jun 17 2009, 04:41 PM

With the show so quiet about this... what if Justin Kiriakis is simply a short return like for Victor's funeral or something?
I wouldn't be surprised if this was short-term at all. I can't see them writing any kind of long-term story for Justin Kiriakis, LoL.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

IMissAremid

:'(

Ellie

IMissAremid

Where do you see that the show's been quiet?

Paxton
Member Avatar

IMissAremid

Eee . . . that's kind of a scary thought. Because with JM's contract up in August, and this recent changing of the guard stuff, I can see a situation where Victor and Stefano both wind up dead. I really can. Well, that's depressing.

evilD
Member Avatar

I don't think that anybody would make that big of a deal of his return if it was a short-term "guest" stint. My guess is that his return definitely has something to do with the succession in the Kiriakis empire. Don't wanna go as far as to say that this has anything to do with the Kiriakis vs DiMera rivalry but my best theory would be that he's back because Philip screws up big time somewhere.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Judi Evans won't be popping up on Days in her role as Adrienne. SOD is reporting that Judi has joined ATWT.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

Quote:

Don't look for Judi Evans (ex-Adrienne/Bonnie, DAYS; ex-Paulina, AW; ex-Beth, GL) to join Wally Kurth at DAYS. Soap Opera Digest got the exclusive with Evans, who is joining the cast of AS THE WORLD TURNS on August 26. "I need to get back to New York; I have a 20 by 20 storage unit full of furniture that I have to clean out," Evans laughs. "I was going to go this summer anyway, so it was very out of the blue and it was certainly welcome. I'm looking forward to working with Chris Goutman [executive producer, who she worked with on AW] again and I can't wait to see Julie Pinson [Janet; ex-Billie, DAYS]. I miss her!" Details of her character and who she'll interact with are being kept under wraps for now.

LovingDays

Why ATWT the show sucksss.Hope its a short term

Deleted User
Deleted User

LovingDays
Jun 23 2009, 10:58 AM
Why ATWT the show sucksss.Hope its a short term
EVERYTHING is short term on ATWT :laugh:
Quote Post Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Bummer. :-/

mirabella

Ali tweeted this...

OMG. Wally Kurth in the makeup room!!! :)
40 minutes ago from TwitterBerry

I guess he is filming today.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

YEAH!!! Cannot wait for this!

mesagirl
Member Avatar

This is awesome news! I had such a crush on Justin back in the day! I can't wait to see him back on screen.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply