Follow @DaytimeRoyalty
| Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty! For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member suffering succotash in any form. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features. |
| It's official: T.R. Knight exits 'Grey's Anatomy' | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Jun 17 2009, 05:16 PM (719 Views) | |
| Nubia | Jun 17 2009, 05:16 PM Post #1 |
![]()
The Queen
![]()
|
It's official: T.R. Knight exits 'Grey's Anatomy' Jun 17, 2009, 03:44 PM | by Michael Ausiello Categories: Grey's Anatomy, News Fall's still months away, but one of last season's bigger Grey's Anatomy cliffhangers has already been resolved: Sources confirm to me exclusively that T.R. Knight's wish to be released from his contract has been granted. The official decision, I'm told, came down in the past few days, just as many of his castmates began receiving their formal pickup letters from ABC. What does this news mean for George? What will Knight do next? And what about Izzie? Find out after the jump... The actor's exit closes yet another rocky chapter for the embattled primetime soap, one that opened with Isaiahgate and worsened when, amid rumors that Knight was clashing with series creator Shonda Rhimes, George O'Malley was backburnered. Finally, Knight grew so fed up with his character's lack of storyline that he asked if he could check out three years before his deal expired. After that, all indications were that he would be let go, although Rhimes didn't make a final decision until recently. (Contractually speaking, she had until June 30 to make up her mind.) Last month, Rhimes told me that George's relatively light storyline this year was the result of the normal "ebbs and flows" of ensemble television. But she did acknowledge that he was intentionally written lighter during the last half of the season so that viewers wouldn't think it odd that he was absent from the season finale -- something that was necessary to preserve the episode's biggest twist: that George was actually a disfigured John Doe who had been hit by a bus. "I really wanted you to not notice that he wasn't there for most of this episode," she said. "I don't think anybody noticed because of the way we laid it out this season." Knight's departure would seem to confirm that George doesn't survive, although fans have wondered whether Rhimes is planning to pull an Elizabeth Reaser (Jane Doe/Rebecca) and have him live, only to be replaced by another actor, thanks to plastic surgeon Sloane's handiwork. That's "hilarious, ridiculous," the boss has said. However, I've heard that she was interested in having Knight appear in next season's first three episodes, but a short-term deal could not be brokered. What will Knight do now? Per an insider, the theatrically-trained thesp is in talks to start 2010 by headlining a Broadway revival of Lend Me a Tenor, the classic farce he recently did a reading of with Alfred Molina, Tony Shalhoub, and Marian Seldes. Reps for Knight and ABC declined to comment. Now that the question of George's future seems to have been answered, another puzzler moves to the forefront: What's going to happen to Katherine Heigl's Izzie, whose life also hung in the balance in last May's capper? Stay tuned... In the meantime, proceed to the comments and weigh in on Knight's departure. EW.COM |
![]() |
|
| Kevc1980 | Jun 17 2009, 05:19 PM Post #2 |
![]()
|
This is great news...Hopefully this mean Katherine Heigl will stick around.. |
![]() |
|
| Mason | Jun 17 2009, 05:24 PM Post #3 |
![]()
|
Good riddance. I've hated George since Day One. |
![]() |
|
| MTSRocks | Jun 17 2009, 05:41 PM Post #4 |
![]() ![]()
|
Chanting...Izzie too! Izzie too! IZZIE TOO! |
![]() |
|
| Mason | Jun 17 2009, 05:42 PM Post #5 |
![]()
|
Since Knight and Heigl are BFFs, I could see this making her even more inclined to leave the show as soon as she can. |
![]() |
|
| KMan101 | Jun 17 2009, 05:44 PM Post #6 |
![]()
|
Meh. She said she'd stay if they would have her. I dunno. I couldn't care less, really. |
![]() |
|
| King | Jun 18 2009, 01:56 AM Post #7 |
![]() ![]()
|
The last two seasons, George has been awful. |
![]() |
|
| Mason | Jun 18 2009, 10:49 AM Post #8 |
![]()
|
Fixed, LoL! |
![]() |
|
| KMan101 | Jun 18 2009, 11:46 AM Post #9 |
![]()
|
Agreed. I only liked George, mostly, in season one. Once he became some manwhore, I dunno, sorry, that wasn't George. |
![]() |
|
| Rick | Jun 18 2009, 01:59 PM Post #10 |
|
Dreamlander
![]()
|
I'm actually glad he's gone. I'd rather not have him on the show that wastes his talent by basically using him as an under-five each week. I honestly don't think he want's to be a big star. He seems happier to be on Broadway than on ABC's #1 Drama |
![]() |
|
| lene | Jun 19 2009, 02:23 PM Post #11 |
![]() ![]()
|
:( :( :(: I like George (and TR)! I wish Katherine was leaving too, cause i can't stand Alex and Izzie. |
![]() |
|
| Rick | Jun 30 2009, 03:41 AM Post #12 |
|
Dreamlander
![]()
|
T.R. Knight to star in Stanley Tucci's "Lend Me a Tenor" by Michael Ausiello I can now confirm what I first (strongly) hinted at two weeks ago: T.R. Knight is headed to the Great White Way! The ex-Grey's Anatomy thesp, who earlier this month confirmed that he was leaving the ABC drama, has signed on to star in the upcoming Broadway revival of Lend Me a Tenor. Knight will play the role of Max in the classic farce, which is being directed by Stanley Tucci and is scheduled to open in February 2010. Additional casting will be announced in the coming weeks. Prior to Tenor, Knight will headline a production of Jason Robert Brown's Tony-winning Parade at Los Angeles' Mark Taper Forum. |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic » |















2:00 PM Jul 11