Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Ed Scott Interview!; Did he save "Days of Our Lives?"
Topic Started: Jun 23 2009, 03:15 PM (4,046 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

Did This Guy Save Days of Our Lives?

Posted Image

Ed Scott worked a miracle and was fired for his efforts. But he may get the last laugh—and an Emmy to boot. Scott took over the exec producer reins at Days of Our Lives in 2007, turning a show that was close to unbearable and threatened with cancellation into a true contender. Not only did Days end 2008 as the only soap to gain viewers, it’s currently nominated for 13 Daytime Emmys—the most for any soap this year.

Even after Scott’s shocking departure (Days owner Ken Corday bounced him because he tangled too often with head writer Dena Higley), the soap has stayed on a creative roll and is still picking up viewers, no small feat in this era of audience erosion. Days recently upped its cache—and made big news—by announcing it will bring back past faves Crystal Chappell (Carly) and Wally Kurth (Justin). Most important, NBC is showing renewed interest and pride in the program.

“It’s proof a show can turn around in these difficult times, a soap can be saved,” Scott says. “There needs to be leadership, drive, positive energy and a respect for the audience—but that’s nothing new. It’s old-school stuff. Of course, you don’t have all the time in the world. You need to work hard and work fast.”

Several of Days’ Emmy nods, including one for best soap, came as a direct result of Scott’s piece de resistance—the crash of a private jet carrying several top characters. It was raw, harrowing, emotionally transcendent stuff, and it brought a first-ever nomination for daytime superstar Peter Reckell (Bo), who joined the show 26 years ago.

“Ed inspired our entire company,” Reckell says. “He gave us back what made Days a part of American culture to begin with. Sure, the devil possession was a big conversation piece, but our show deeply mattered to people when it was about love and loss, family and relationships. Ed understood that.”

Scott, who has three feature films in development, bears no ill will about his ouster. “My time at Days was the best of my career,” he says. “It validated all the years I spent producing at The Young and the Restless. I learned all my stuff from [Y&R creator] Bill Bell, which was not an easy experience. Bill was a tough guy, a master sergeant in boot camp. But I learned a lot and I feel that Bill’s spirit was with me when I showed up to work at Days.” Did Corday acknowledge Scott’s contribution when the Emmy nominations were announced? “He sent me a plant,” says Scott, “and a very nice note that said, ‘We’re all very proud of you.’”

Scott left the soap before Corday fired a slew of major players, including Deidre Hall (Marlena), Drake Hogestyn (John), Thaao Penghlis (Tony), Stephen Nichols (Steve) and Mary Beth Evans (Kayla). Scott calls the slaughter “very sad. Firing them hasn’t hurt Days so far, apparently, but I think there was a wealth of possibilities for those actors. It’s a shame.”

The mass exit left Reckell and longtime TV love Kristian Alfonso (Hope) as the veteran couple on the show. “It’s kinda strange,” Reckell says. “Some days on the set, Kristian and I will look at each other and just laugh. We’re like, “How did we get here? How did this happen?” It seems like only yesterday that we were the new kids on the block. Suddenly, we’re the patriarch and matriarch of Salem. We’re Tom and Alice!”

Source: TV Guide
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Kenny
Jun 23 2009, 03:15 PM
“My time at Days was the best of my career,” he says.
Wow, that's a strong statement. Ken must have sent a really nice plant.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Paxton
Jun 23 2009, 03:20 PM
Posted Image

Mason
Member Avatar

I'm glad he took the high road, even though, IMO, he has plenty to be bitter about.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Just as I suspected - the guy is a total class act.

LOVE the picture with PR and TB!
Edited by SocRMum1, Jun 23 2009, 03:35 PM.

peaches179

LOL! What a nice read! Thanks for posting, Kenny! :)

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Get him back to Y&R STAT!! Buy him an ORCHARD if that will get rid of my arch enemy Paul Rauch and give us an EP at Y&R who knows how to handle people without a sledghammer!!!

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Kenny
Jun 23 2009, 03:25 PM
Paxton
Posted Image
:drunk: THAT explains a WHOLE lot Kenny! I think Kenny C saved most of the plant for himself and Dena Higley!

pspcindy
Member Avatar

I agree with the sentiment that Ed Scott has a lot of class. He can grouse and complain in private, which I'm sure he is very entitled to do. But to be gracious and utterly humble in this post-Days interview is a very welcome sight.
Edited by pspcindy, Jun 24 2009, 09:41 AM.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Kenny

Ed Scott worked a miracle and was fired for his efforts. But he may get the last laugh—and an Emmy to boot.Scott took over the exec producer reins at Days of Our Lives in 2007, turning a show that was close to unbearable and threatened with cancellation into a true contender.Not only did Days end 2008 as the only soap to gain viewers, it’s currently nominated for 13 Daytime Emmys—the most for any soap this year.

[/b]
I have no strong opinion on Scott vs Tomlin but that's just inaccurate. Scott's final week of episodes (Sept 15, 2008) drew a 1.8 and 7th place and- Olympic weeks excepted- ratings were terrible during his final 2-3 months. To speak of DOOL "ending 2008 as the only soap to gain viewers" when another EP was in charge for Oct.-Dec. is misleading journalism on Logan's part.
Edited by Ponz, Jun 23 2009, 04:08 PM.

mesagirl
Member Avatar

Kenny
Paxton
Posted Image
LMAO!

Kriss4

Days got their nominations when the vets were front and center, which is kinda strange and sad, actually, cuz so many of them are gone.

Not to take anything away from what Tomlin's doing cuz people seem at least a bit hopeful about the direction of the show.

I just wish it hadn't come at the expense of some of my favorite performers.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

I thought ED did an amazing job. They were fools to let him go.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I prefer Ed Scott over Gary Tomlin any day..The quality of Ed's shows were so much better...So glad he got nominated for the plane crash episodes..

Ives
Member Avatar

Kenny
Paxton
Posted Image
That is about the loudest I have laughed out loud in a long time.

:applause:

Ives
Member Avatar

Kenny
Did This Guy Save Days of Our Lives?

Posted Image

“Ed inspired our entire company,” Reckell says. “He gave us back what made Days a part of American culture to begin with. Sure, the devil possession was a big conversation piece, but our show deeply mattered to people when it was about love and loss, family and relationships. Ed understood that.”

Source: TV Guide
I love this quote from Peter.

Ed Scott certainly brought a renewed spirit among the cast and crew when he started. I can't believe Days ended up with Higley over him. :frustration:

JoshBingh
Member Avatar

I really liked his work on days.

laurenp

His work on Days really improved the show I wish he'd go back to Y&R stat!

Ariel

Ponz
Jun 23 2009, 04:05 PM
Kenny

Ed Scott worked a miracle and was fired for his efforts. But he may get the last laugh—and an Emmy to boot.Scott took over the exec producer reins at Days of Our Lives in 2007, turning a show that was close to unbearable and threatened with cancellation into a true contender.Not only did Days end 2008 as the only soap to gain viewers, it’s currently nominated for 13 Daytime Emmys—the most for any soap this year.

[/b]
I have no strong opinion on Scott vs Tomlin but that's just inaccurate. Scott's final week of episodes (Sept 15, 2008) drew a 1.8 and 7th place and- Olympic weeks excepted- ratings were terrible during his final 2-3 months. To speak of DOOL "ending 2008 as the only soap to gain viewers" when another EP was in charge for Oct.-Dec. is misleading journalism on Logan's part.
It is very misleading journalism, the ratings under ES last summer were the lowest in Days history. Like or hate Tomlin's tenure as EP, the ratings only started to improve in October. The real turn around occured in late December/January. The plane crash sequence was excellent, but a lot of younger viewers like myself were turned off by his treatment of Philip & Chloe and especially throwing Chloe into a "romance" with Lucas while ignoring her history with Brady.

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

Quote:

Chloe and especially throwing Chloe into a "romance" with Lucas while ignoring her history with Brady.

There will always be a question as to how much of that was Scott and how much of that was Higley. I'm more inclined to think Higley was behind it considering what we're seeing today.

Quote:

I totally agree with that statement. If anything it was under Scott that DAYS started to regain some of its respect back in the genre and became a true contender in the Emmy's.

Great interview. I adore Ed. He's truly a talented EP. Y&R definitely needs Scott right now.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply