Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Ed Scott Interview!; Did he save "Days of Our Lives?"
Topic Started: Jun 23 2009, 03:15 PM (3,955 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

heartsaver
Jun 24 2009, 02:06 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2009, 01:18 PM
It has a creative freedom now and it actually has a long-term plan for the first time in ages.

Where is this so-called long-term plan? The show has been spinning its wheels ever since that idiot Tomlin took over. The Dimera-Kiriakis feud was pointless and had nothing at stake. The Kate-Daniel-Chloe-Lucas fiasco has had absolutely no focus, is destroying the character of Kate and is one of the worst storylines in Days history. The baby switch story is the show's centerpiece and doesn't seem to have any direction. None of the vets has been given anything resembling a decent storyline. The newbies are pointless. And so on.

This notion that Gary Tomlin has a plan is ludicrous. The show's ratings may be a bit higher at the moment but they are hardly terrific. The show's quality has rarely, if ever, been worse. The show wasn't great under Ed Scott. It is unwatchable under Gary Tomlin.
The baby switch is far from directionless and I'm not even going to bother to explain because I don't think it would matter since your clearly down on the show. Even the bad stories like Lucas/Chloe/Daniel/Kate have direction.

All I will say is that it's refreshing to still see the same stories in play 6 months later and not having stories ending left and right or beats not being played. The show has not been doing that and that is why I and many others enjoy it. If you and others don't that's fine but the show is getting good reviews from many critics and fans and, while I know the ratings aren't impressive, if you think that any show is ever going to get a significant amount of viewers back, then all I can say is that is being delusional. The only realistic thing a show can aim for is to keep the viewers it has and to stabilize and maybe increase a little in a time of constant viewer erosion. Days is the ONLY show to do that and that is an accomplishment, whether many feel that way or not.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

littlemony
Member Avatar
Queen of the Underground

Kenny
Jun 23 2009, 03:25 PM
Paxton
Jun 23 2009, 03:20 PM
Wow, that's a strong statement. Ken must have sent a really nice plant.
Posted Image
Ahahhahahahahahaha.... that is probably the nicest plant he could send someone, and it explains why the show is going the way it is write now. Please, don't write scripts while stoned.

heartsaver

PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2009, 02:19 PM
heartsaver
Jun 24 2009, 02:06 PM
PhoenixRising05
It has a creative freedom now and it actually has a long-term plan for the first time in ages.

Where is this so-called long-term plan? The show has been spinning its wheels ever since that idiot Tomlin took over. The Dimera-Kiriakis feud was pointless and had nothing at stake. The Kate-Daniel-Chloe-Lucas fiasco has had absolutely no focus, is destroying the character of Kate and is one of the worst storylines in Days history. The baby switch story is the show's centerpiece and doesn't seem to have any direction. None of the vets has been given anything resembling a decent storyline. The newbies are pointless. And so on.

This notion that Gary Tomlin has a plan is ludicrous. The show's ratings may be a bit higher at the moment but they are hardly terrific. The show's quality has rarely, if ever, been worse. The show wasn't great under Ed Scott. It is unwatchable under Gary Tomlin.
The baby switch is far from directionless and I'm not even going to bother to explain because I don't think it would matter since your clearly down on the show. Even the bad stories like Lucas/Chloe/Daniel/Kate have direction.

All I will say is that it's refreshing to still see the same stories in play 6 months later and not having stories ending left and right or beats not being played. The show has not been doing that and that is why I and many others enjoy it. If you and others don't that's fine but the show is getting good reviews from many critics and fans and, while I know the ratings aren't impressive, if you think that any show is ever going to get a significant amount of viewers back, then all I can say is that is being delusional. The only realistic thing a show can aim for is to keep the viewers it has and to stabilize and maybe increase a little in a time of constant viewer erosion. Days is the ONLY show to do that and that is an accomplishment, whether many feel that way or not.
You are vastly overstating the "good reviews" the show is getting. You are in the distinct minority as far as thinking the show is good. Look around at the message boards. There are far more negatives than positives. You make it seem as if virtually everyone is enjoying the show. That is simply not the case.

Saying that the Kate poisons Chloe story has direction is laughable. All we see are the characters involved having the same basic conversations over and over again. There is no attempt to give any reasoning for Kate to behave so insanely towards two people who she not long ago credited with saving her life. I mean Carrie cheated on both of her sons while she was married to them and she never even said a cross word to her. Now it's just "let's turn an interesting character into a psycho because it fits the plot."

Just because storylines are dragged out for months on end doesn't mean they have any direction. The whole baby switch storyline is just a series of isolated events strung together over a long period of time. That is not direction. That's filling time until the writers can figure out what to do next.

Kenny
Member Avatar

The show is getting good reviews from "critics" like Nelson Branco and some blogger for Daytime Confidential. Branco's TVGC column and Daytime Confidential are like "sister sites," so it's not uncommon for one to mirror the other's praise.

Regardless, I wouldn't call them "critics" in any professional sense of the word. The DC blogger is no different than those of us posting here. Just a person with an opinion. As for Nelson, well... let's just say I disagree with him about Days being watchable in any way, LoL.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Jun 24 2009, 03:01 PM
The show is getting good reviews from "critics" like Nelson Branco and some blogger for Daytime Confidential. Branco's TVGC column and Daytime Confidential are like "sister sites," so it's not uncommon for one to mirror the other's praise.

Regardless, I wouldn't call them "critics" in any professional sense of the word. The DC blogger is no different than those of us posting here. Just a person with an opinion. As for Nelson, well... let's just say I disagree with him about Days being watchable in any way, LoL.
Those aren't the only two.

The mags and even Goldderby forums (who usually HATE Days) have people loving the show. There are many sites full of fans who are loving the show. People over at SON are even loving the show. I'm not saying there aren't people out there who still hate it but that is no different then any show at any point in time. Even when a soap is considered the best, there are haters.

I'm not overrating anything. I could care less how many people like the show on here or not. I'm just pointing out that many on here act like the show is trash and has no fans when it evidently it has many who are enjoying it so it's doing something right.

heartsaver

PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2009, 05:02 PM
The mags and even Goldderby forums (who usually HATE Days) have people loving the show. There are many sites full of fans who are loving the show. People over at SON are even loving the show. I'm not saying there aren't people out there who still hate it but that is no different then any show at any point in time. Even when a soap is considered the best, there are haters.

I'm not overrating anything. I could care less how many people like the show on here or not. I'm just pointing out that many on here act like the show is trash and has no fans when it evidently it has many who are enjoying it so it's doing something right.
I'm not going to beat a dead horse after this one last whip. It is simply inaccurate to say that "some people" are hating the show. It is far more than "some people." You are loving the show right now. Fine. But don't pretend that only a few people hate what the show has become or that the sites are full of fans who are loving it. It is simply not true.
Edited by heartsaver, Jun 24 2009, 06:25 PM.

jane1978

PhoenixRising05
Ponz
Jun 23 2009, 04:05 PM
Kenny
Jun 23 2009, 03:15 PM

Ed Scott worked a miracle and was fired for his efforts. But he may get the last laugh—and an Emmy to boot.Scott took over the exec producer reins at Days of Our Lives in 2007, turning a show that was close to unbearable and threatened with cancellation into a true contender.Not only did Days end 2008 as the only soap to gain viewers, it’s currently nominated for 13 Daytime Emmys—the most for any soap this year.

[/b]
I have no strong opinion on Scott vs Tomlin but that's just inaccurate. Scott's final week of episodes (Sept 15, 2008) drew a 1.8 and 7th place and- Olympic weeks excepted- ratings were terrible during his final 2-3 months. To speak of DOOL "ending 2008 as the only soap to gain viewers" when another EP was in charge for Oct.-Dec. is misleading journalism on Logan's part.
AMEN!!!

What piss poor reporting. Scott did nothing to save Days. All he did was make things worst. The show was in chaos the whole time he was there and he didn't do a damn thing to stop it and he could've. Just look at what Tomlin has done. The show is more stable now then it's been in over a decade.

The ratings were never consistent under Scott. He did nothing to help the budget and did not use sets efficiently. Tomlin has done all those things and he finally had the balls to make the decisions needed to help Days not only survive a year at a time but to maybe survive for years to come. I'm sorry but it was time to pass the torch. Long past time. Tomlin was the only one with the guts to get in Corday's ear and make it happen. I wish it had been handled better but the show is better off now in more ways then one. It has a creative freedom now and it actually has a long-term plan for the first time in ages. Tomlin is also the first person to get Corday to stay the hell away from the show. He gets my props for that. He's a leader that does what is necessary and the show needed that.

I don't care how pretty Ed Scott made the show or what he did for the actors. The actors should work that hard for everyone. They are being paid to do a job. They shouldn't have to be "inspired" or have their asses kissed just to do their job and give top grade performances. I used to love Ed Scott but I can't stand him now and part of it has to do with him being worshiped as some kind of martyr. I realize Higley should've gone too and how awful she can be but that is beside the point. The fact that no one else in soaps hired him speaks volumes. The man deserved to be canned. He could've handled things differently but he didn't. Instead, he made things worse and I don't care if the man had the best production values. He needed to go and the show is better off for it. As far as I'm concerned, he's not taking any high road because he was rightfully fired.

As for the Emmy nods, give me a break. Yes, pretty much all the nominations came from his work but who wrote it all? Higley and, in most cases, the strike writers. It had very little to do with quality. He just played the game right. Tomlin isn't chopped liver either. He brought Emmy love back to OLTL when he got there 9 years ago after years of not getting any Emmy love so he's more then capable of doing the same. He knows how to play the game, just like Scott.

On a positive note, I like the picture LOL.
Thank you! Finally someone who isn´t on the Scott love train. The guy did nothing for the show. The budget was still a mess when he left, the casting all over place, characters who should be let go years ago were still hanging around doing nothing and the way he dealt with the writers room was not only unprofessional, but extremely harmfull for the show as well.

Nobody can argue the writing is the most important part of the show. Yet he never adressed the fact Higley is absolutely struggling doing both longterm storylines and outlines. Just contrary, he made it worse and started to interfere as well. Tomlin was not even in the credits and he already saw it as a priority nr.1. The writing room was reconstructed almost overnight and by the beginning of November the main stories got a direction which is mostly held till now.

Anyway, I´m happy for the Emmy nomination. And to be fair, Scott did a wonderfull job producing the plane crash even when he probably drained two months worth of budget in that computer-controlled hydraulic platform.

Kenny
Member Avatar

jane1978
Jun 24 2009, 06:22 PM
Finally someone who isn´t on the Scott love train. The guy did nothing for the show.
Surprise, surprise. You and Phoenix are in agreement yet again, LoL. You're like me and Mason. Anyway, I respect your opinion, but I completely disagree that Ed Scott "did nothing" for the show.

As for Tomlin doing a better job with the budget, that may be true, but I don't watch the show to keep track of how many dollars are spent on new sets and wardrobes. I watch to be entertained. That's the bottom line. For many fans, Higley/Tomlin's version of Days doesn't do that at all, so in that sense, they're a complete and utter flop. Who cares if the show comes in under budget if what we see on the air is a pile of stinking horse shit? I'd rather the show be canceled than to watch it get yanked apart this way, and I say that because I'm a Days fan.

Mason

jane1978
The guy did nothing for the show.
No offense, but that's such a load of bull that he didn't do anything for the show. He made the show look damn good. The acting went up to a higher level when he came in (and subsequently fell as soon as he left). He brought in great directors and a casting director. And he brought some respect back to the show. You really call that nothing?
Edited by Mason, Jun 24 2009, 06:35 PM.

Ives
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
As for the Emmy nods, give me a break. Yes, pretty much all the nominations came from his work but who wrote it all? Higley and, in most cases, the strike writers. It had very little to do with quality. He just played the game right. Tomlin isn't chopped liver either. He brought Emmy love back to OLTL when he got there 9 years ago after years of not getting any Emmy love so he's more then capable of doing the same. He knows how to play the game, just like Scott.

On a positive note, I like the picture LOL.
I suspect the production quality of the airplane crash scenes had a lot to do with the nomination. The writing was fine but it was not stellar. In addition to the great production values, you also had most of Days strongest actors interacting with each other.

eta: changed "all" to "most"
Edited by Ives, Jun 24 2009, 09:04 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

heartsaver
Jun 24 2009, 06:21 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2009, 05:02 PM

I'm not going to beat a dead horse after this one last whip. It is simply inaccurate to say that "some people" are hating the show. It is far more than "some people." You are loving the show right now. Fine. But don't pretend that only a few people hate what the show has become or that the sites are full of fans who are loving it. It is simply not true.
What difference does it make?! My God...

Ok. Fine. There are many out there that hate it, just like there are many out there that like it. Ok now?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Jun 24 2009, 06:32 PM
jane1978
The guy did nothing for the show.
No offense, but that's such a load of bull that he didn't do anything for the show. He made the show look damn good. The acting went up to a higher level when he came in (and subsequently fell as soon as he left). He brought in great directors and a casting director. And he brought some respect back to the show. You really call that nothing?
Well, the actors shouldn't need a certain EP just to give the best performance they can. As I said in my rant on this, if any actors need the EP to cater to their every whim and kiss their ass, then they should be shown the door. Their job is to give their best performance, regardless of who is EP. This crap about how he inspired them and shit is beyond annoying now. They shouldn't need to be inspired. It's their job and if they don't do it, get the hell out. Plain and simple.

Your right. He did do things but I will just agree with Jane in that he did more bad then good. I want my show to live on so I'm glad that Tomlin came on and did what he did but I suppose that is where I differ from many others.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2009, 06:42 PM
Well, the actors shouldn't need a certain EP just to give the best performance they can. As I said in my rant on this, if any actors need the EP to cater to their every whim and kiss their ass, then they should be shown the door. Their job is to give their best performance, regardless of who is EP. This crap about how he inspired them and shit is beyond annoying now. They shouldn't need to be inspired.
Well, there's something to be said about cast morale. Like it or not, I think it does make a difference. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does. That's not Ed's fault. Blame the sub-par shitty cast. :)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Jun 24 2009, 06:54 PM
PhoenixRising05
Well, the actors shouldn't need a certain EP just to give the best performance they can. As I said in my rant on this, if any actors need the EP to cater to their every whim and kiss their ass, then they should be shown the door. Their job is to give their best performance, regardless of who is EP. This crap about how he inspired them and shit is beyond annoying now. They shouldn't need to be inspired.
Well, there's something to be said about cast morale. Like it or not, I think it does make a difference. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does. That's not Ed's fault. Blame the sub-par shitty cast. :)
I think morale matters but not that much.

I think the only time the low morale hurt the show was at the end of JER's second run.

I don't know why your calling the cast under Ed sub-par when that was back before all the cuts when people like Dee, SN, MBE, etc were still there. The fact that so many vets and experienced actors were in the cast and they had to be inspired and needed to have Ed there just to do their jobs at their highest standard does not reflect highly on many of them IMO.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

WTF, a PLANT?!

daysfan
Member Avatar

Kenny
PhoenixRising05
Morale seems to be actually okay on the show...except for with the vets like Peter Reckell. And honestly, I can't blame him...I mean, all the stories have been tolerable except the visions(though Chloe/Daniel is getting tiring). :P

As for Ed doing nothing for the show? No, he did alot...now I hated his lighting some of the time, but he did insert ALOT of excellent production aspects, and again, there were alot of great directors there...and Ed did have good ideas story-wise, they just never got fully transmitted onto the screen.

Now does the show have more direction under Tomlin than it did Ed? Well, absolutely! Though this is partially Higley's fault IMO, during the bulk of the time that Ed was there, the show was a mess vision-wise. Because of that damn power struggle, you'd never know where the show would be going, every few weeks there'd be some new couple and it was out of control...Tomlin's vision for the show seems to pretty much be set.

Ed had the potential to be a great story-teller, and a great producer...BUT, can he manage a show well enough? Not really, and I am not talking about budget-wise. I know Corday loves Higley, but he could've found a better way to get rid of her than secretly hi-jack the show.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

It's better than those dumb TEE SHIRTS!!! LOL!

Ives
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2009, 07:19 PM
Kenny
PhoenixRising05

I think the only time the low morale hurt the show was at the end of JER's second run.

I don't know why your calling the cast under Ed sub-par when that was back before all the cuts when people like Dee, SN, MBE, etc were still there. The fact that so many vets and experienced actors were in the cast and they had to be inspired and needed to have Ed there just to do their jobs at their highest standard does not reflect highly on many of them IMO.
It was not simply morale. Once Ed came in, actors had opportunities for second takes and received Director's notes on their performances between takes.

Here is how SN described the situation prior to Scott:
Early on, a producer told Mary Beth and me that there would be no more second takes for acting. One day, I stood in the booth soon after that and watched two actors in a highly emotional scene do five takes because the producer thought he saw a boom shadow, which no one could identify. Five takes for a phantom boom shadow! If the acting had been off, they would have moved on. Another actor reported that this same producer had told him that he did not care so much about the acting and that the audience would understand enough about the story by simply hearing the words. Can you imagine?

There were a few actors who I could not tolerate prior to Scott but I found them tolerable after he came on.

I am not saying that Tomlin is not doing these things. I hope he is. I am just pointing out that Scott did a lot more than cause some psychological change in the cast. And it was certainly not catering to the actors' whims. I got the impression (not only from Ed's interview above but also from comments from other actors) that a few of the actors who tended to not be prepared were whipped into shape as Ed demanded that they be more prepared.

MTSRocks
Member Avatar

I agree. Bring him back to Y&R.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ives
Jun 24 2009, 09:19 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2009, 07:19 PM
Kenny

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepdoes make a difference. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does. That's not Ed's fault. Blame the sub-par shitty cast. :)

It was not simply morale. Once Ed came in, actors had opportunities for second takes and received Director's notes on their performances between takes.

Here is how SN described the situation prior to Scott:
Early on, a producer told Mary Beth and me that there would be no more second takes for acting. One day, I stood in the booth soon after that and watched two actors in a highly emotional scene do five takes because the producer thought he saw a boom shadow, which no one could identify. Five takes for a phantom boom shadow! If the acting had been off, they would have moved on. Another actor reported that this same producer had told him that he did not care so much about the acting and that the audience would understand enough about the story by simply hearing the words. Can you imagine?

There were a few actors who I could not tolerate prior to Scott but I found them tolerable after he came on.

I am not saying that Tomlin is not doing these things. I hope he is. I am just pointing out that Scott did a lot more than cause some psychological change in the cast. And it was certainly not catering to the actors' whims. I got the impression (not only from Ed's interview above but also from comments from other actors) that a few of the actors who tended to not be prepared were whipped into shape as Ed demanded that they be more prepared.

I get that but they shouldn't need ED for that. They should be doing that even without him. It's almost like saying these actors are children and that they only react to certain people. It shouldn't be that way.

Tomlin has been in the business for awhile. He did very well at OLTL. He oversaw their live week so I think he can cause the same impact among the actors that Scott did, that is if the actors cooperate.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply