Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: July Spoilers; July 7th issue
Topic Started: Jun 24 2009, 10:35 AM (9,165 Views)
Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Tripp
Jun 24 2009, 01:02 PM

I have to (respectfully) disagree. A classic quad is one where it's natural for all sides to come into contact. I know a few people like Melanie and Philip together, but basically you have the same issues with what we had with Chan and Chex/Stax. The people who are opposed to it are GREATLY opposed to it and thus the show must take precious airtime to try to convince us "give it a chance, you'll like it" when "No, we won't" becomes louder and louder. I know the ratings are improving but I still don't think Days should waste any time on couples who will be going no where. And treating Molly Burnett like she's Heather Locklear coming to save Melrose Place isn't gonna do it. It's almost laughable, except it's just not funny.

Probably the bigger issue is Philip in this quad. The character (and actor) should be about 30 now, so having him hang around people barely twenty is icky. I know Dena has a hard on for age appropriate relationships, but it's getting ridiculous. It was her decision to make Melanie 18 and casting young MB (both in face and voice) keeps her that way. She looks ridiculous opposite guys like Philiip (which is bad enough) and Brady too (which is even worse). I am fine with Nathan for her, and I realize this may just be a means to keep conflicts for the new couple, but Philip is being ruined in the meantime. I can deal with him and Stephanie but barely. I dealt with his chasing after Belle because she was someone from his HS years but now he's a ruthless business tycoon and war veteran. The idea someone as adolescent as Melanie turning his head in any form is just another staple of Dena's ability to ruin characters.
Great post, especially the parts I bolded. It's not just that I think Molly and Jay have zero sexual or romantic chemistry. It's that the age difference literally appalls me. There are couples I don't like on the show or that I'm indifferent to, but none nauseate me the way Melanie does when paired with anyone over 25. Even that is stretching it for me given her stated age of 18. I'm not going to be changing my mind about this no matter what the show tries, and in fact it's the kind of thing that would lead me to turn the show off permanently. Philip used to be my favorite character and now I don't even watch him. I hardly notice his name in the spoilers unless something I truly hate like this pops up. I skim over his parts in Prevuze. Regardless of how long or short term his relationship with Melanie might be, the fact that he would consider her a romantic prospect AT ALL brings me close to actually hating him. I already hate her.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I really don't get the age argument.

So many of soaps supercouples had an older man and younger woman. Bo was older then Hope. Steve was older then Kayla. Austin was older then Carrie (although not by much, I don't believe) but he was older then Sami.

I just don't get that. I get if you just dislike the couple together or the character but I think age should have very little to do with whether a couple can be successful or not. I think it all comes down to the writing and chemistry.

Bradyclan

End the Danloe/Kate storyline now. Right now , I'm ast the point that I wouldn't care if Kate poisoned both of them and herself to end it all.

Phelony??? again. Steph and another man? I rather watch touch the sky storylines ( hey , we still had Chick..).

Paxton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2009, 01:26 PM
So many of soaps supercouples had an older man and younger woman. Bo was older then Hope. Steve was older then Kayla. Austin was older then Carrie (although not by much, I don't believe) but he was older then Sami.

And I'm tired of it. It's cliched and disrespectful to women, like, if you're over 20. good luck on getting a man in your age bracket because you're not only competing with women your own age, you're competing with all the younger women as well. Show me the examples of older women/younger men pairings that went anywhere and that didn't involve Kate. I'm not a Bope fan, not a Carrie/Austin fan and it took me years to believe that the show actually expected me to believe Austin and Sami were viable or that she could expect he would look twice at her given how young she was.

I don't mind the occasional relationship with an older man/younger woman but it's very irritating to me when it's the norm. Look how many times Dena alone has done it: Chelsea/Daniel, John/Ava, Steve/Ava (in flashbacks, LOTS of flashbacks), Philip/Melanie, Nick/Melanie, Brady/Melanie, even Philip/Stephanie--a less egregious example because at least Stephanie is out of her teens but Philip is still older. Now show how many times she has done the reverse: once. With Kate and Daniel, which primarily happened offscreen and as a vehicle to break up Chelsea and Daniel.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2009, 01:26 PM
I really don't get the age argument.

I just don't get that. I get if you just dislike the couple together or the character but I think age should have very little to do with whether a couple can be successful or not. I think it all comes down to the writing and chemistry.
Bo and Hope were both quite young. Bo was maybe 21. 22? He was also an out of work guy who's maturity had a long way to go. Same with Steve and while Kayla "was younger" she was an established professional in her mid twenties. I never liked Carrie or Austin (talk about boring) but this is a good point. When Sami was initially interested in Austin, it took years before Austin looked at her in that way, and even when he did, he was still...a guy in his early 20s who was trying to make it as a piano player initially.

I honestly don't care for large age gaps and the constant "older man/younger woman" dynamic that has been handed to us for decades but if the story is right (and it requires planning) I might. If Melanie was in her mid twenties I could look the other way even if Victor was interested in her. It's about maturity and I don't see how Philip (a war veteran, crime boss, business man) would have anything in common with a girl barely out of high school who has spent most of her life "partying". He might be attracted to her just for looks, but he can have anyone out there, so why chase a girl 10 years his junior?

Chemistry is important for a couple and I don't see it with Phelony either but even if I do, it can't be the only thing. I am not someone who will just accept any couple because they are "hot" together (which is why I don't support Danloe.) It's the writers job to make me root for the couple and I can't just do it because they say so. And that's how Phelony is coming across.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2009, 01:06 PM
Secondly, all I was saying is that you can't base viewing decisions on a couple of vague tidbits in a magazine. Hell, you can't even when it's more comprehensive. That goes for ANY show. not just Days. All the tidbits are like this for the shows, some worse then Days, so my point is simply this. If your already down on the show, fine. However, to those who may be trying it out or watching sparingly or consistently, I wouldn't let these tidbits deter me from watching but, again, that is just my opinion.
But aren't these supposed to make us want to watch?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I do admit the older guy/younger woman cliche is overused but cliche isn't overused in soaps?

It seems when soaps go away from cliches and what worked in the past, they fall apart. I do wish that they did a bit more of older woman/younger guy. It happens but not as often as the other way around.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Sindacco
Jun 24 2009, 01:36 PM
PhoenixRising05
Secondly, all I was saying is that you can't base viewing decisions on a couple of vague tidbits in a magazine. Hell, you can't even when it's more comprehensive. That goes for ANY show. not just Days. All the tidbits are like this for the shows, some worse then Days, so my point is simply this. If your already down on the show, fine. However, to those who may be trying it out or watching sparingly or consistently, I wouldn't let these tidbits deter me from watching but, again, that is just my opinion.
Hee, good point. And it's always a bad sign when most people describe spoilers as "lame" "sucks" or "dammit!"

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
PhoenixRising05
Sure but obviously not everyone is always going to be pleased (I mean, not everyone likes every story or character on every show) and obviously more is going to happen then what is said here. That is my point. I have no issue with people bashing the spoilers. I just have a hard time understanding how you can base a viewing decision on just these tidbits alone. I mean, sure, if we had countless spoilers and a more comprehensive preview or something, then maybe I could see it although I always think seeing what weekly spoilers have to say is a bit more telling. I just think these tidbits aren't worth getting upset about it or aren't even worth getting happy about because there is hardly anything here to react too LOL. Same goes for all the soaps. I've seen the tidbits for other soaps and none of them particularly excite me or anger me. It's just indifference because there isn't alot to go on.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Tripp
Jun 24 2009, 01:38 PM
Sindacco
PhoenixRising05
Hee, good point. And it's always a bad sign when most people describe spoilers as "lame" "sucks" or "dammit!"
When it comes to Days, there is always a mass of people that react that way, regardless of who is writing/producing/etc. It's the most polarizing show ever :laugh: .

Paxton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
I do admit the older guy/younger woman cliche is overused but cliche isn't overused in soaps?

It seems when soaps go away from cliches and what worked in the past, they fall apart. I do wish that they did a bit more of older woman/younger guy. It happens but not as often as the other way around.
I would just prefer it if couples were in similar age groups and maturity levels. Obviously couples don't each have to be the exact same age. I don't mind, say, a 40 year old dating a 30 year old because they are more likely to be at similar maturity levels. And I don't mind the occasional significant age gap in relationships when the story makes sense, but it irritates me to no end when it always plays out in one direction: older man gets hot young babe.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

BTW, where in the hell are Abe/Lexie???????? I forget they're even on the show. Like I said in the previous post, why don't they just fire these two and bring back Martha Madison and a recasted Shawn. Bo/Hope will have Carly to interact maybe when she comes so I don't see the point in them staying.

Another thing, Steve/ Kayla should be brought back on recuring status. I really don't like them giving Stephanie all this drama, and her parents haven't been there in the least bit. I don't care about that half-ass excuse of her and Steve being in a third world country helping out people.

Bradyclan

PhoenixRising05

Older woman/younger man doesn't really appeal to me . And knowing Days, only Kate is allowed to be paired with younger men.

Last time they did with Kan, it was disgusting and stained both Kate's and Daniel's character.A triangle granma/grandaughter is barf worthy!!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Paxton
Jun 24 2009, 01:43 PM
PhoenixRising05

I would just prefer it if couples were in similar age groups and maturity levels. Obviously couples don't each have to be the exact same age. I don't mind, say, a 40 year old dating a 30 year old because they are more likely to be at similar maturity levels. And I don't mind the occasional significant age gap in relationships when the story makes sense, but it irritates me to no end when it always plays out in one direction: older man gets hot young babe.
They should mix it up and stop going in one direction BUT I don't think they should shy away from something just because it's been done so often. If it works, go with it. It just shouldn't be forced and I don't see Days really doing that but that's just me.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Sariah
Jun 24 2009, 12:53 PM
I keep thinking JKJ just can't be happy about this. He didn't like being part of the teen scene the first go-round and wanted more mature storylines...and now here he is seven years later after he first left and dating girls the same age as before.
I think Jay regret signing a new two year contract, and I don't blame him.

heartsaver

The crappiness of these spoilers is not surprising. If you are over 40 on Days and your character has any kind of a history on the show, you will not have a storyline of your own. You will either be seldom used (Roman, Abe, Lexie) or you will be meddling in storylines involving much younger characters (Kate, Maggie, Stefano).

Bo and Hope have spent the last year either doing nothing or being on the brink of a storyline that never really develops. We'll see whether that is about to change. The Stefano-Victor interactions were only tolerated because that storyline involved EJ, Phillip and Stephanie at its core. I would love to see a story or two involving the vets and only the vets. But Tomlin will not allow that because he is a horse's ass who cares nothing about the show's rich history.

Edited by heartsaver, Jun 24 2009, 02:19 PM.

littlemony
Member Avatar
Queen of the Underground

Ellie
Jun 24 2009, 10:35 AM
Please link to DR.

This week's SOW includes a list of spoilers for the month of July.

- Stefano plots to break up Sami and Rafe.

- Philip feels rejected and makes a play for Melanie.

- Stephanie strikes up a friendship with Nathan.

- After Arianna learns about Brady's history, she backs off.

- Sami encounters a woman from Rafe's past.

- Chloe's health deteriorates as Kate slowly poisons her.

- Will butts heads with Chad over Mia.

Thanks for posting Ellie.

I'm thinking Stef wants to break up SAFE because it will benefit him in some way. Probably same as someone else mentioned... he knows to much. Or maybe he's changed his mind and wants to get EJami back on track.

The Phelonie spoiler could just be nothing... like he goes to her for comfort, or friendship. It's too vague to read into. Same with Steph/Nathan.

I'm thinking Arianna finds out about Brady's past with Nicole, in addition to his addictions.

SO SICK OF THE KATE STORYLINE!!! Get this shit over. Ugh.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Jun 24 2009, 01:58 PM
Sariah
Jun 24 2009, 12:53 PM
I keep thinking JKJ just can't be happy about this. He didn't like being part of the teen scene the first go-round and wanted more mature storylines...and now here he is seven years later after he first left and dating girls the same age as before.
I think Jay regret signing a new two year contract, and I don't blame him.
I doubt it.

He loves Shelley. They went to the Emmy's last year (many thought they were dating) and both seemed interested in the idea of being in a story together on the show when the idea was presented. He clearly loves working with her and Molly Burnett. I remember an SOW article a few months ago talking about how much fun the three of them have. Plus, they put him in the center of the Dimera/Kiriakis feud and he's gotten to work with John Aniston alot, who he loves.

He may not be as happy when the contract is up for renewal but, right now, my sense is that he is pretty happy.

lastDays
Member Avatar

Kate's slowly poisoning Chloe while her health is deteriorating? Kate has become a completey vile character.I sense the end of her time in Salem is appraoching.She will be brought up on charges when all is said and done.Too bad the writers decided to take her in this direction

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

lastDays
Jun 24 2009, 02:26 PM
Kate's slowly poisoning Chloe while her health is deteriorating? Kate has become a completey vile character.I sense the end of her time in Salem is appraoching.She will be brought up on charges when all is said and done.Too bad the writers decided to take her in this direction
No, nobody has to pay for their crimes on this show. Well, except my boy Nick. But I'm sure they won't get rid of her.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply