Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member suffering succotash in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: July Spoilers; July 7th issue
Topic Started: Jun 24 2009, 10:35 AM (11,217 Views)
Paxton
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jun 24 2009, 10:35 AM
- Philip feels rejected and makes a play for Melanie.

- Stephanie strikes up a friendship with Nathan.

UGH!!! I thought we were DONE with Phelony. This is nightmarish news. Oh good heavens, please SPARE ME Philip/Stephanie/Melanie/Nathan quad. Which of these things is not like the other one, which of these things just doesn't belong? Why, it's Philip, an actual grownup who I want to have an actual grownup romance with an actual grownup woman. :puke:

But, thanks for posting Ellie!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar

Tripp
Jun 24 2009, 01:02 PM

I have to (respectfully) disagree. A classic quad is one where it's natural for all sides to come into contact. I know a few people like Melanie and Philip together, but basically you have the same issues with what we had with Chan and Chex/Stax. The people who are opposed to it are GREATLY opposed to it and thus the show must take precious airtime to try to convince us "give it a chance, you'll like it" when "No, we won't" becomes louder and louder. I know the ratings are improving but I still don't think Days should waste any time on couples who will be going no where. And treating Molly Burnett like she's Heather Locklear coming to save Melrose Place isn't gonna do it. It's almost laughable, except it's just not funny.

Probably the bigger issue is Philip in this quad. The character (and actor) should be about 30 now, so having him hang around people barely twenty is icky. I know Dena has a hard on for age appropriate relationships, but it's getting ridiculous. It was her decision to make Melanie 18 and casting young MB (both in face and voice) keeps her that way. She looks ridiculous opposite guys like Philiip (which is bad enough) and Brady too (which is even worse). I am fine with Nathan for her, and I realize this may just be a means to keep conflicts for the new couple, but Philip is being ruined in the meantime. I can deal with him and Stephanie but barely. I dealt with his chasing after Belle because she was someone from his HS years but now he's a ruthless business tycoon and war veteran. The idea someone as adolescent as Melanie turning his head in any form is just another staple of Dena's ability to ruin characters.
Great post, especially the parts I bolded. It's not just that I think Molly and Jay have zero sexual or romantic chemistry. It's that the age difference literally appalls me. There are couples I don't like on the show or that I'm indifferent to, but none nauseate me the way Melanie does when paired with anyone over 25. Even that is stretching it for me given her stated age of 18. I'm not going to be changing my mind about this no matter what the show tries, and in fact it's the kind of thing that would lead me to turn the show off permanently. Philip used to be my favorite character and now I don't even watch him. I hardly notice his name in the spoilers unless something I truly hate like this pops up. I skim over his parts in Prevuze. Regardless of how long or short term his relationship with Melanie might be, the fact that he would consider her a romantic prospect AT ALL brings me close to actually hating him. I already hate her.

Paxton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2009, 01:26 PM
So many of soaps supercouples had an older man and younger woman. Bo was older then Hope. Steve was older then Kayla. Austin was older then Carrie (although not by much, I don't believe) but he was older then Sami.

And I'm tired of it. It's cliched and disrespectful to women, like, if you're over 20. good luck on getting a man in your age bracket because you're not only competing with women your own age, you're competing with all the younger women as well. Show me the examples of older women/younger men pairings that went anywhere and that didn't involve Kate. I'm not a Bope fan, not a Carrie/Austin fan and it took me years to believe that the show actually expected me to believe Austin and Sami were viable or that she could expect he would look twice at her given how young she was.

I don't mind the occasional relationship with an older man/younger woman but it's very irritating to me when it's the norm. Look how many times Dena alone has done it: Chelsea/Daniel, John/Ava, Steve/Ava (in flashbacks, LOTS of flashbacks), Philip/Melanie, Nick/Melanie, Brady/Melanie, even Philip/Stephanie--a less egregious example because at least Stephanie is out of her teens but Philip is still older. Now show how many times she has done the reverse: once. With Kate and Daniel, which primarily happened offscreen and as a vehicle to break up Chelsea and Daniel.

Paxton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2009, 01:38 PM
I do admit the older guy/younger woman cliche is overused but cliche isn't overused in soaps?

It seems when soaps go away from cliches and what worked in the past, they fall apart. I do wish that they did a bit more of older woman/younger guy. It happens but not as often as the other way around.
I would just prefer it if couples were in similar age groups and maturity levels. Obviously couples don't each have to be the exact same age. I don't mind, say, a 40 year old dating a 30 year old because they are more likely to be at similar maturity levels. And I don't mind the occasional significant age gap in relationships when the story makes sense, but it irritates me to no end when it always plays out in one direction: older man gets hot young babe.

Paxton
Member Avatar

jane1978
Jun 24 2009, 03:18 PM
As for Phillip, I think the Phillip you are talking about died when Belle left. They sort of reseted the character, except the war experience but apparently minus his war injuries, and the last two years there are no signs he should be or he is at the same experience level as the rest of his original age group. Yes, he is CEO of Titan, but only because his father owns the company. And he is still heavily under his control. He is still in training to be CEO as much as Nathan is in training to be doctor. I see no big difference.
And some of us hate the way Philip has been de-aged and softened and pussified and we're entitled to our opinions. He ain't much of a playboy if he's in one relationship where he's constantly telling the woman he loves her and wanting to marry her. Most playboys are defined by dating/screwing multiple women and not being serious about any one of them. Philip in no way qualifies under that definition. We never even see him flirting with anyone other than Stephanie. Basically, he isn't cool, he isn't tough, he isn't sexy or charming any more. He's just some guy who's a perpetual victim and who doesn't know his ass from his elbow unless Victor tells him the difference. That isn't how I like him at all. In fact, when he's like this, I don't like him, period.

Quote:

you probably think she should be fighting with Mia, etc.

IMO Melanie is out there in a no-man's land age-wise. She is the ONLY character on the show in her age range right now. She doesn't have a single candidate to be a female friend other than Maggie. I thought the whole point of bringing Nathan on was to give her an age-appropriate love interest, and the other spoilers Angie posted bear that out a little more. I could easily see a Melanie/Nathan/Stephanie triangle, though I hate to see Stephanie having to compete with Melanie for a man--but leave Philip out of it.

Paxton
Member Avatar

BradyDiva06
Jun 25 2009, 09:33 AM
To me Philip was never more pussified when he was married to Belle. He turned a blind eye to everything she did even cheating with his nephew. But I don't see Philip's love for stephanie as any different from any love in the past. When he's dating or in love with a woman he's instantly loyal. He never strays or cheats. It's when he is burned by that love he becomes the playboy and dates multiple girls. I love Philip's relationship with Stephanie because this is the first relationship to me where he doesn't have to worry about another man in the way. With Belle and Chloe they were in love with Shawn and Brady more. I felt that hurt his character when he chased behind them blindly when it was obvious they loved his nephews more. Sure Stephanie and him have problems no relationship is perfect. He doesn't have to doubt if she really loves him or worry about another man in the picture.
I hated Philip with Belle too. As far as him being a playboy dating multiple women after he's been burned . . . when was that? I don't recall him ever dating multiple women. The closest he came to that was when he was FWB with Chloe while using Morgan. Then when Chloe broke it off with him he stayed with Morgan and they were building that "romance," which I hated, until KR got fired.

You like Philip and Stephanie, which is fine. However, I have to say I don't get the point that "at least Philip doesn't have to worry about another man." That doesn't strike me as a huge point in Stephanie's favor. The problem for me is that (1) JKJ and SH have no romantic or sexual chemistry in my eyes, which I acknowledge is completely subjective but, less subjectively (2) Stephanie is extremely underwritten. She simply isn't interesting at all, which is a shame because she absolutely could be. I want better for Philip--shit, I want better for Stephanie--than a bland sugar cookie whose strongest asset is that she isn't in love with someone else.

Paxton
Member Avatar

BradyDiva06
Jun 26 2009, 07:31 PM
What I meant about Philip not having to worry about another man is him not having to play second fiddle. To me Philip has alot going for him. It's ridiculous that he always has to play second fiddle in a triangle. He comes off as wimpy and needy to me when he was in the triangles in the past. I like he should not play second fiddle. With Stephanie he has someone that truly loves him.

I agree that he shouldn't have to play second fiddle; the problem for me is he hasn't sparked with anyone who had a clean slate with him, i.e., Morgan, Stephanie or Melanie. And again, that for me has a lot to do with age difference/life experience issues. I would enjoy seeing him tested with Arianna, because she's closer to his age and she strikes me as feisty and as someone who would legitimately have some class issues with Philip but might dig the advantages of a top shelf lifestyle. But again, for me it really comes down to not liking Philip when he's paired with someone he doesn't--for me--click with (and I actually like Shelley and I feel like the character of Stephanie has potential if they'd just write her a story). So right now, I don't FF when Philip's on but I can't even make myself pay attention. I have tried and tried, but I can't make myself interested in him and Stephanie. I vastly prefer Philip and Stephanie to Philip and Melanie, but I really would rather Philip be single than be with either. Which is a shame, because at one point I really was hoping they would try out Philip and Stephanie. They did, and for me, it just doesn't work. Which, needless to say, doesn't mean you can't enjoy them!
Edited by Paxton, Jun 26 2009, 07:50 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply