Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: Steph to Philip: I can't marry you!; July 7th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Jun 24 2009, 10:53 AM (2,176 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOW features an interview with Shelley Hennig.

Stephanie breaks off her engagement to Philip this week. First, Steph talks to Father Matt about the Kiriakis lifestyle. Hennig explains that "Father Matt is someone Stephanie has known her whole life", and that Father Matt "knows her family". Hennig continues that while Steph is talking to Father Matt, she starts considering her options for her relationship with Philip, and by the end of Steph and Father's Matt's conversation, Steph has made a decision.

Steph goes to the Kiriakis mansion to talk to Philip, but before she can say anything to him about their relationship, he holds up the bottle of her anxiety pills and confronts her about them. Hennig explains that "Steph's a little caught off guard, but here's her chance to tell him the truth, and maybe it will help him understand why she has to say goodbye." Steph tells Philip that she's been abusing the pills to help her through things.

Steph then tells Philip their relationship is over. Hennig says that this is difficult for Steph, but she knows she has to do it, so she fights to get the words out. Philip tries to tell Steph that they can work things out, but Steph tells Philip that they've already tried to do that.

Then Steph removes her engagement ring and puts it down in front of Philip. Philip begs Steph to reconsider, but as Hennig says, "for [Steph's] safety and peace of mind, she has to break things off with him." Hennig concludes that Steph "kisses Philip goodbye and walks out before she completely loses it."

[Note: This is the only Days story article in SOD or SOW this week.]

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I guess Father Matt is the handy confessor to all the young women in town whose parents and other family are "away." This is news to me that he's known Stephanie "all her life."

Thanks for posting, Ellie!

lysie
Member Avatar

Of all people for Stephanie and Kayla to keep in touch with when they lived in California (CA, right?), they kept in touch with Father Matt. I'm glad he was able to be such a positive influence in her life that she now knows he's the one person she can turn to. :huh:

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Yikes! Gonna be a slow week at Days...that's for sure.

And I just have to comment...didn't Kayla and Stephanie live away from Salem most of Stephanie's life? So not only was I of the assumption that Father Matt has not been in Salem all that long (didn't it used to be Father Jansen?) but now we're to believe that Stephanie has known him her entire life?

Mason
Member Avatar

I really don't know how anyone can stand Stephanie. To me, she's one of the most annoying characters on the entire show. I know it won't happen, but I would love it if, when Stephanie comes crawling back yet again, Philip totally blows her off. How many times would you really keep taking back a person who breaks up with you every other week? Philip is not a doormat, but that's what he's becoming with Stephanie.

aimees76
Member Avatar

LOL, the part about knowing Father Matt all her life stuck out to me, too. Kayla raised Stefanie in L.A., I thought. Whatever, more rewriting.

I hope this is truly the end for Phillip and Stefanie, she ruins all my enjoyment of him.

Thanks for posting!

esp13
Member Avatar

I like Stephanie. I don't (or didn't) like the stupid contrived make-up, break-up cycle they put Philip and Stephanie on a couple of months ago. But, this one actually makes sense. The problem is that it comes after all the stupid ones that didn't make sense. So, once again, the writers take out the dramatic impact of this stuff by the crap they did before.

I think that this break-up is intended to stick, if not permanently, then at least for a while. While I like Philip and Stephanie, I'm perfectly fine with that because, as written, the relationship doesn't work. Without all the prior break-up, make-up crap, this could be compelling because it's one person saying "I love you, but that's just not enough to make this work." That creates drama and angst and all those good soapy things. Or it would, if they hadn't screwed it up.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Well I hope this one "sticks" too!
I so want to like Stephanie but she's a total bore! Its sad that it takes a priest instead of her grandma that makes her break up. I would have liked Steph calling Caroline over and telling her what she's thinking instead of Father Matt. But whatever gets Phil out of that relationship!
Thanks for posting!
Liz

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Their relationship longer than I expected! I kinda feel bad for Phillip though ... he can't seem to hold any relationship down. Although no relationship is better than being with Stephanie for him, IMO!

doolcrazy
Member Avatar

Thanks for the summary. I am not a Princess Stephanie fan at all. Not since TPTB so drastically changed the character and actress. I had to LOL at the Father Matt comment. Was he part of the LA daisies and then came to Salem just as Kayla and Stef did? Again TPTB make up things as they go :o(. I'm glad she and Phil call it off. Both are spoiled brats and it would never work. Besides Phil won't change for her and she can't control him. LOL Stef is a user from the get go. She used Jeremy for the high life and good times. She used Max to help Jeremy provide that good life and now she is using Phil. TPTB should pack her up and send her to be with her much missing parents.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Here we go again...

Don't worry fans. They'll be back together by the following Wednesday.
Edited by DrewHamilton, Jun 24 2009, 12:14 PM.

sungrey

Having been a Stax fan (don't throw things at me! lol) I can't say I'm bitterly disappointed about this story ending too. They might be best to create one or two new male characters and have one come on as a love interest for Stephanie, to take the character in an all new direction.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

esp13
Jun 24 2009, 11:11 AM
I like Stephanie. I don't (or didn't) like the stupid contrived make-up, break-up cycle they put Philip and Stephanie on a couple of months ago. But, this one actually makes sense. The problem is that it comes after all the stupid ones that didn't make sense. So, once again, the writers take out the dramatic impact of this stuff by the crap they did before.

I think that this break-up is intended to stick, if not permanently, then at least for a while. While I like Philip and Stephanie, I'm perfectly fine with that because, as written, the relationship doesn't work. Without all the prior break-up, make-up crap, this could be compelling because it's one person saying "I love you, but that's just not enough to make this work." That creates drama and angst and all those good soapy things. Or it would, if they hadn't screwed it up.
I agree, although I don't think the previous breakups take away from this. For one thing, they've been together for awhile (their last "split" was back in early March) and I never took their "breakups" as actual breakups. She just wasn't sure of what they had or if she could accept him and alot of it was driven by fear of being hurt and such. It all made sense to me and this one really makes sense.

I don't think this will be a short breakup. I don't think we will see them together for awhile but I don't think they are done at all and that makes me happy. Both the couple and the characters can benefit from this and I look forward to the scenes.

mandy

If Wes Ramsey were returning as Owen's twin brother, I might think Philip and Stephanie are really over for good. From what I've seen of Nathan, I'm not convinced he would be a good choice for a love interest for Stephanie. Although I think Days is really promoting Philip and Stephanie, I don't see them ever being the Supercouple the show might think they have on their hands. Too many people seem to dislike them together for that to happen.
Edited by mandy, Jun 24 2009, 12:48 PM.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Mason
Jun 24 2009, 11:01 AM
I really don't know how anyone can stand Stephanie. To me, she's one of the most annoying characters on the entire show. I know it won't happen, but I would love it if, when Stephanie comes crawling back yet again, Philip totally blows her off. How many times would you really keep taking back a person who breaks up with you every other week? Philip is not a doormat, but that's what he's becoming with Stephanie.
She is ruining Philip, and I have never liked the character with any of the personalities the writers have given her. I also don't think SH is that great of an actress, either.

But I'm sure they'll be back together soon...and then break up soon after that...to reunite a few days later...only to call it quits for good again...because that is the only drama this couple has, and the only possible conflict that the writers can come up with for them.

I think if the only thing you can do to create drama and conflict for your couple is to have them break up/make up every few days, then it's time to call it and let this boring relationship go.

Bradyclan

I hope they are over for good!They are a cute couple but totally boring mainly because of Stephanie.
As long as Steph's character is like that, I cannot see her with anyone. She really needs to work on herself before getting into another relationship.

littlemony
Member Avatar
Queen of the Underground

Thanks for posting, Ellie!

Stephanie has always dated older guys. I think Nathan might be a little too young for her (I'm thinking they are the same age).

As far as Phillip and Steph go, I don't think they could get any more real with it. Love really isn't everything, you need so much more than just love to make a relationship last.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

More of the same with these two. Change it up! Thanks, Ellie!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Taelyn

Well I cant help but think they mentioned Own having a brother for a reason, more than likely a "twin" who will at first scare Steph, but then she will be drawn to him.. I rather like that Idea, as long as she does not ruin 'that character' .. I swear this actress is so pretty and talented but Soooooo one dementional.. She really needs to go back to being the bad ass racecar driver, maybe that is how she deals with her anxiety instead of pills she returns to the thrill of racing.

Otherwise she needs to go find her parents and go off canvass.
As for Philip, I always enjoyed him with Chloe, but maybe he can bring life to Arianna, or a new girl even .. or just play the field for awhile.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Phillip should find a nice guy and settle down. I mean...his taste in women is not so great, he's got this weird desperate kind of edge (marry Stephanie? really dude?). Might be time to try something different.

Where is Kate? Shouldn't Kate be around here somewhere manipulating Stephanie, deciding whether she's worthy, beating her ass for hurting Kate's spawn?
Edited by px780, Jun 24 2009, 08:19 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply