Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD and SOW: Crystal Chappell discusses her return as Carly; July 7th issues
Topic Started: Jun 24 2009, 11:08 AM (2,566 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

Crystal Chappell is interviewed in this week's SOD and SOW. Following are the new Days-related points mentioned in the interviews.

- Gary Tomlin contacted Chappell to ask her if she'd be interested in coming back. She says she'd never considered it before, because she's never reprised a character.

- Chappell wants a "fresh take" on the character of Carly. She wants Carly to be "fun, vibrant and funny", and she says that she wants to "try to throw a few bits of Olivia into Carly". She says that her husband is referring to the character as "Carly II", and she says she's "not married to anything that happened 16 years ago." She likes that Carly "has a lot of strength, and she's smart", but she wants the writers to bring Carly back "with a lot more edge and a sense of humor".

- SOD asks Chappell if Michael Sabatino (Chappell's husband) will be returning to Days. Chappell says, "not that I know of".

- SOW asks Chappell if she's prepared for "the wrath of Bo and Hope fans" if she works with Peter Reckell again. Chappell answers, "I don't know that they're necessarily bringing me back for that", but then she continues that if they did go that route, "it wouldn't be any different than the first time I stepped in."

- Chappell mentions that during her first run as Carly, Hope had just been killed off, "so the fans were being lovely and loyal to their favorite couple". Chappell says that the fans said, "You'll never be Hope", so Chappell responded, "You don't need two of us. Just one great one. Then, I'll be Carly."

[Note: The Otalia-related portions of these interviews are posted here.]

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

I know it's been 16 years since we've last seen Carly and people can change a lot in that much time, but I really hope she doesn't play Carly too much differently. I feel like Crystal still wants to play Olivia to some degree, but Olivia and Carly are two completely different characters.

darraholic
Member Avatar
#TeamBeastModePrincess

I can see Carly having a bit of a edge after being married to Lawrence. When Carly lost her memory after being buried she was bitchy.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Jun 24 2009, 11:08 AM
- Chappell wants a "fresh take" on the character of Carly. She wants Carly to be "fun, vibrant and funny", and she says that she wants to "try to throw a few bits of Olivia into Carly". She says that her husband is referring to the character as "Carly II", and she says she's "not married to anything that happened 16 years ago." She likes that Carly "has a lot of strength, and she's smart", but she wants the writers to bring Carly back "with a lot more edge and a sense of humor".
I'm on board with this. People change over time. I'm not the same person I was at 23, 16 years ago, so why should Carly be? Everything can change with time and perspective. We don't know what she's been up to and whatever that is, could have affected her tremendously.

Thanks for posting, Ellie!

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

^Ditto...I want Carly w/an edge! We have too many goody-goody types on the show. I can't wait for her return!
Thanks for posting!
Liz

Nicole Walker

As long as she's not boring which is probably what Chappell is trying to tell the writers.

JoshBingh
Member Avatar

I for one am sorry too see her leave guiding light, but i can't wait to see her return to day.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I actually want her to be different because it opens up more story and any person who is the same after all these years and after all she has been through...well, that wouldn't make sense.

I just don't want to see her being Olivia. She can take a little of Olivia but don't make her a replica. I expect her to be different though and that is fine as Days is essentially a different show now anyway. It works. She was watered down a bit when she left so her having an edge again will be refreshing. Can't wait!

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

"I actually want her to be different because it opens up more story and any person who is the same after all these years and after all she has been through...well, that wouldn't make sense."

Except Sami Brady! LOL!

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
Translation: "I will be turning Carly into Olivia. I don't care about Carly or any of her history or what kind of person she is. The only reason I'm doing this is because the show I really love have been discontinued."

It's so easy to read between the lines.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Kenny
Jun 24 2009, 02:07 PM
Ellie
Translation: "I will be turning Carly into Olivia. I don't care about Carly or any of her history or what kind of person she is. The only reason I'm doing this is because the show I really love have been discontinued."

It's so easy to read between the lines.
Probably but realistically in 16 years people change. And I liked Carly but given she left the show married to a crime boss, I imagine she's not the same person we remember.

I know nothing of Olivia from GL but it bothers me CC stating she will be bringing Olivia in. I would think she would be excited to playing a different type of character unless she's trying to bring over the GL audience to Days.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I'm sure she LOVED GL and liked Olivia best because she's been there for 10 years. It was the character she played the longest and I think that she wants to inject some of Olivia into Carly because she feels Olivia was the better character. I don't think it has anything to do with wanting to be at Days or not.

If she didn't want to be there, she wouldn't be there. She could've found other work.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Crystal is in a tough spot here. If she gets too excited talking about Days the GL fans are unhappy and think she can't wait to bolt to another show. If she's not excited enough than Days fans think she's only coming to Days as a last resort.

I don't think Crystal is going to drastically change how she plays Carly. As an Olivia fan on GL, I don't mind if she brings in some characteristics of that character. As stated, Carly has been off the canvas for such a long time some changes are understandable.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jun 24 2009, 02:24 PM
If she didn't want to be there, she wouldn't be there. She could've found other work.
She said it herself. "I have to work."

I'm sure that's all this is to her. A paycheck.

Kenny
Member Avatar

dc cubs
Jun 24 2009, 02:26 PM
Crystal is in a tough spot here. If she gets too excited talking about Days the GL fans are unhappy and think she can't wait to bolt to another show. If she's not excited enough than Days fans think she's only coming to Days as a last resort.
I don't think it's that way at all.

Guiding Light has been canceled. It's not as if she had the option of staying and decided to bolt instead. The show is done, the character is finished. I doubt the Otalia fans would see it as some kind of a betrayal if Crystal were to express excitement over finding a new job, because she had no choice, so it's a cop out to say that she's not acting excited about Days to keep from hurting her GL fans. JMO.

lastDays
Member Avatar

I think she should hook up with Phillip

Taelyn

Se would be much older than Philip. Almost old enough to be his mom, she will be closer to Bo and Hopes age.. meaning Mid-40's atleast, I think Phil was in elementary school when Bo and Carly were together.

Mason
Member Avatar

Philip wasn't even born yet when Carly was on the show.

Ellie

Mason
Jun 24 2009, 03:56 PM
Philip wasn't even born yet when Carly was on the show.
Right, but Will is older than EJ. These types of details don't concern the writing team.

Kenny - I was thinking the same as you regarding "Carly II". It doesn't sound like CC liked the character of Carly too much if she's planning on redoing her to such an extent. I understand what everyone's saying about "people change in 16 years", but the writers should give her some backstory if that's going to happen. The bottom line is that imo, Crystal fans are going to be much, much happier than Carly fans.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

I still laught at the fact Will and Phillip were both born before EJ yet he is older than both of them.

Can't wait to see Carly return, please writers don't fuck this up.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply