Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD online Joe Mascolo interview
Topic Started: Jun 24 2009, 05:31 PM (1,131 Views)
Ellie

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/features/days-of-our-lives/interviews/5_questions_for_joseph_mascolo_stefano_days/

5 Questions For ... Joseph Mascolo (Stefano, DAYS)
By Stephanie Sloane

You recently hosted a mystery cruise. How did that go?
"That turned out rather fantastic. There were about 30-40 people in the group and it was a great time. They all wanted to do it again the following week, so you know it was successful. Every day on board, they had a clue or two and went around and tried to figure out the clues on the ship. It was fun. The people running it did a very good job. At the end, someone is accused of the crime. The only thing is, this was a little tricky and nobody came up with [the culprit] so they made one up. It was really cute. We stopped in the Cayman Islands, which was fun. I didn't realize, but Stefano should run for governor of the Cayman Islands! They really like him there. I didn't even think about the banks and money that goes there; I should have taken advantage of that [laughs]. What an idiot."

How are you involved with the City of Hope charity?
"It's an important charity and it's quite wonderful because of what they do for people. I was at an event and Kevin Dobson [Mickey] was there and Patrika [Darbo, ex-Nancy], too. I helped sell things during the auction. You know the ship the Andrea Doria that sunk [in 1956]? Well, they asked me if I would raffle off some paper money that was found from the Andrea Doria and I said, 'Yes, and you don't even have any idea that I have been on that ship.' So, when I was up there in front of the crowd, I told them this story about how my mom and dad went to Europe on the Andrea Doria and I went on the ship to see them off. I was in school and they were supposed to come back on the trip that it sunk and I thought they were on it. I went bonkers. I flew back to Connecticut and I finally got a telegram that they decided to stay in Italy for another month. So, when I told then that story, the auction price went up to $4000-$5,000."

How is work?
"I'm enjoying it. The thing that I find rather interesting at the moment is that they kind of have Stefano dealing with Nicole in a different kind of way. She's happy about it and I am, too, because Arianne [Zucker, Nicole] is a nice gal. The writing for Stefano has been better, so that's always encouraging. Gary [Tomlin, co-executive producer] is actor-friendly and he has some insights that are good."

What do you think about all the Emmy nominations?
"I don't have a lot in my heart about these prizes for actors, but what I was happy about is that the show got nominated. That's the main thing for me, especially going through all the stuff we've gone through. That part of it was gratifying."

Do you remember your first day at DAYS?
"Holy moly! Thaao Penghlis [ex-Tony/Andre], who knew me, called me up the night before and said, 'I hear you're going to be Daddy.' I was lucky because of the writer at the time, Pat Falken Smith she's the one that created Stefano. It was very interesting because I had not done soaps before and I didn't know how long I wanted to do it, but with Smith there, it was a wonderful experience. I came on the set talking like Stefano because once we had decided that he was European, I said, 'I'll do an accent,' so I spent time talking to people to try and figure out where he was from. I remember I had asked for a cigarette and one of the producers came running down on the set and said, 'You can't smoke.' I said, 'Are you crazy? This guy is from Europe. They smoke so much over there.' I did it anyway, but it was for a specific reason in the script because I don't smoke! I noticed in the following weeks, they had him smoking every five minutes and I called them and said, 'I don't want to smoke! It was only for a particular moment!' "

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting, Ellie.

I love JM (mostly) but this:

Quote:

Gary [Tomlin, co-executive producer] is actor-friendly and he has some insights that are good."

just made me laugh out loud.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jun 24 2009, 05:31 PM
"Gary [Tomlin, co-executive producer] is actor-friendly and he has some insights that are good."
I see Ken Corday sent Joe the same plant he sent to Ed Scott.

Sindacco

esp13
Jun 24 2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Gary [Tomlin, co-executive producer] is actor-friendly and he has some insights that are good."

I think Joe knows Tomlin better than we do.

Thanks for posting Ellie.

Ives
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jun 24 2009, 05:47 PM
Ellie
"Gary [Tomlin, co-executive producer] is actor-friendly and he has some insights that are good."
LMAO :lol:

peaches179

Kenny
Jun 24 2009, 05:47 PM
Ellie

:roflol:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I'm shocked that Joe said that about Tomlin because we hardly hear much about him and how people react to him. I remember James Scott made a comment similar to Joe's. I guess I can see why they both are happy as they've gotten some good material, especially of late.

I agree that the writing for Stefano has improved. I love his scenes with Nicole and I can tell Ari and Joe enjoy each other. Ari seems to get along with everyone.

Good interview.

Kenny
Member Avatar

By "actor-friendly," I think Joe means that Tomlin lets them do whatever the hell they want. If that means letting them phone it in every day to keep from being "un-actor friendly," then so be it.

Tomlin SUCKS ASS.

esp13
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Jun 24 2009, 06:09 PM
esp13
Jun 24 2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:

I think Joe knows Tomlin better than we do.

Thanks for posting Ellie.
Well, Joe's opinion is hardly universal and I tend to agree with those who have expressed a different opinion.

Ellie

esp13
Jun 24 2009, 07:32 PM
Well, Joe's opinion is hardly universal and I tend to agree with those who have expressed a different opinion.
LOL - saying that an EP "has some insights that are good" is one of the most backhanded compliments I've ever heard. I'm not so sure Joe disagrees with the masses on this one.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jun 24 2009, 07:37 PM
LOL - saying that an EP "has some insights that are good" is one of the most backhanded compliments I've ever heard. I'm not so sure Joe disagrees with the masses on this one.
Mhmm.

With that particular quote, it can really be taken so many ways depending upon how it's said, LoL. The word "some" really makes all the difference.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I dunno. I think we try to pick apart what actors say a little too much these days.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

KMan101
Jun 24 2009, 08:46 PM
I dunno. I think we try to pick apart what actors say a little too much these days.
Ain't that the truth.

I'm to blame too because I'm always analyzing comments like that. Half the time these actors don't even know what they say when they say it or they say something all wrong and end up having to backtrack. They are just like us where they make mistakes.

Plus, alot of the time they are speaking from a position of ignorance because most of them know about as much as we do, if not less.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I agree.

We all read so much into what the actors are saying. I think we over analyze.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply