Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
SOD: Do or Die for Days! Ken Corday interview; UPDATED with SOD Insider info; July 14th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Jul 1 2009, 10:05 AM (11,780 Views)
oldschoolfan

Kenny
Jul 1 2009, 10:30 AM
Ellie

"For the ardent John and Marlena and Patch and Kayla fans, great, you can still see them at their luncheons. That was then, this is now."
WHAT. A. DICK.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Why do they allow this man to speak??? These four actors were some of the best that brought Days to it's most popular era and this is what he has to say about them.... Fuck off Corday. :flipoff:
Offline Profile Goto Top

angelatil
Member Avatar

Ok what he said about the John and Marlena fans and Steve and Kayla fans was completely f*cked up! OMG Corday is SUCH an ass....why do they keep having him do interviews????? Also, I pray they do not make Daniel Victor's son....they do not need anyone else related in Salem!!!!!!!!! Also, so Chelsea...Chelsea then made out and almost slept with her uncle last year then if that is true????? So Chelsea basically making out and went out with two of her uncles???? Who is next, Lucas?? WTF???? As far as Chelsea fans, Dansea fans, they just keep insulting more and more IF that is what they are doing. I pray to all the soap gods to please do not let this happen!!

This interview was very insulting for so so so many reasons! I will be calling the comment line as well as the higher ups about Corday! I think you guys should too! The number for the comment line is 818-840-4444 or 818-840-2067 or 818-295-2821. You can believe I will be calling! I have been a fan for over 20 years and I will not be disrespected like this!
Offline Profile Goto Top

sungrey

"For the ardent John and Marlena and Patch and Kayla fans, great, you can still see them at their luncheons. That was then, this is now."

I can see NBC canceling Days in March 2010. When Corday asks why cancel the show when they were so excited about it this summer, the network exec will say that was then, this is now.

And payback will be a BITCH, Ken. Have some more goddamn class for the veteran fans of this show, why don't you.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ponz
Member Avatar

Corday exemplifies this quote:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."- Abraham Lincoln

Offline Profile Goto Top

sungrey

heartsaver
Jul 1 2009, 02:13 PM
This is just going to be Bo/Hope/Billie, part 72 with Crystal Chappell playing the Billie role. Carly hasn't even been mentioned on the show in 16 years and suddenly she's going to be an obstacle for Bo and Hope. They could have brought in a completely new character to throw into a triangle with Bo and Hope and it would have been no less "viable." This storyline hasn't even started and it already sucks.
Not to mention Lawrence gets dicked around again. First the writers couldn't even remember he had Patch's IV poisoned and now Carly comes back alone. Wow. What did Michael Sabatino ever do to Ken?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kriss4

Ken Corday's a jerk. Look how he put down fans of John, Marlena, Steve, and Kayla. I mean, it was an "in your face" insult to their fans. "That was then, this is now...see them at their luncheons?"

What's so different about now? What? The show's doing marvelous in the ratings? People are RUSHING home from work and school to watch this "can't be missed" program?

The show was better THEN. It was well-planned, well-written, well-directed, and well-acted. It's not better NOW.

And insulting fans of two of the biggest couples to be on Days (among others), couples whom fans have loved for years and still love to this day?

That solves everything.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tammy
Member Avatar

Granted I am a J&M fan... and I haven't watched DAYS since J&M left. So I can't comment on if the show is better or worse after their departure.

I can comment however on the fact that Corday is douche! The way he can dismiss J&M and Steve and Kayla fans is beyond me. Those are two LARGE fan bases who served him and his fucking show VERY well over the years. Granted these fan bases don't play much purpose to his agenda at the moment... but I do believe that his show wouldn't have had a easy time getting THIS FAR without those fan bases!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

I wonder if these interviews he gives happens during lunch and he's had one too many? I guess since he's the ultimate boss nobody can tell him he's insulting fans while giving current story endings away.

What is really surprising is how hardly anyone in daytime will cross him. I don't get it. Corday screwed Hogan after the writer's strike. Then Ed Scott begins to improve the show so Corday fires him and keeps Hackley and yet Scott says nothing. As far as I know, the DHs, MBE nor SN have said anything aganist him in their dismissal. A major cast cut comes through and in typical Corday fashion gives the survivors "t shirts". And almost everyone always raves about what a nice guy he is.

I just don't get the power he holds out there, especially given how Days many times is thought of the joke of the industry.
Offline Profile Goto Top

michelle
Member Avatar

I do agree Corday could have phrased things differently, but as much as I loved John and Marlena and Steve and Kayla (and Bo and Hope), their stories played out already. I watched and loved them for years and years, but now I get bored with all the vets. Bad writing doesn't help, but I'm ready to move on to the "newer" characters/relationships, ie. EJ, Sami, Nicole, Philip, Daniel (and I don't mean the teens) and maybe even some of the "old" characters/relationships, ie. Justin and Carly, and let the chips fall where they may.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVED Jarlena, Payla, Bope and Jack/Jennifer, but I have seen every possible storyline with them and frankly now find them a bit dull. Just as actors on tv shows and movies continually cycle in and out, the soap world is no different.

Give me passion, give me angst. Just not indifference.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

Paxton
Jul 1 2009, 10:22 AM
I realized recently that I'm really only watching the show for Nicole. I doubt Corday actually meant that Nicole would be done for good, but if she is, that certainly makes the decision not to watch very easy. I'm really not interested in the rest of the show, and Corday being so enthusiastic about my second most-hated character, Melanie, makes me think that my viewership is going to dwindle. Was this article supposed to make me want to watch?

Thanks for posting, Ellie! This one must have been hard to do.

Pax - after some thought, I think Nicole is the reason that I am still watching this show daily. I hope they aren't writing her off permanantly, and I wonder if it would have been different if she wouldn't have been pregnant. Guess I'll never know.
Funny how SHE is the one who gets the break for maternity leave. The one who can actually carry a story decently. (yes, still bitter that I have had to sit through a totally shitty story so AS could have as much screen time as possible even though she needed a break/I needed a break from her.).

But I must say...that was the worst, spit in the face to your fans, condescending interview I have ever read.
Days audience is happy with what they have? Really? I know ratings are better, but damn, I Neilsen and I am so not too thrilled with the show lately.
And what a fuck you to the Jarlenas and Paylas. That was awful!

And Bo/Hope/Carly? Bo works better in a triangle? Did he really just say that the only thing they have left for Bope are triangles?

This dude is an obnoxious asshat.

He has got to be high when he gives these interviews. Doesn't Days have a publicist to avoid crap like this?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Alligato
Jul 1 2009, 07:59 PM
Doesn't Days have a publicist to avoid crap like this?
I don't think there's any publicist in the world that would want to have to deal with Corday. He's a publicist's worst nightmare.
Edited by Mason, Jul 1 2009, 08:07 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

michelle
Jul 1 2009, 07:52 PM
I do agree Corday could have phrased things differently, but as much as I loved John and Marlena and Steve and Kayla (and Bo and Hope), their stories played out already. I watched and loved them for years and years, but now I get bored with all the vets. Bad writing doesn't help, but I'm ready to move on to the "newer" characters/relationships, ie. EJ, Sami, Nicole, Philip, Daniel (and I don't mean the teens) and maybe even some of the "old" characters/relationships, ie. Justin and Carly, and let the chips fall where they may.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVED Jarlena, Payla, Bope and Jack/Jennifer, but I have seen every possible storyline with them and frankly now find them a bit dull. Just as actors on tv shows and movies continually cycle in and out, the soap world is no different.

Now? BOPE are the only ones you mentioned that are even on. I see what you're saying, but here's the thing. We haven't seen every possible storyline with these characters. We haven't seen John and Marlena support Sami through her daughter's death. We haven't seen Steve hunt down the man who kidnapped his daughter and rip his arms off, and then take those arms and use them to pin EJ against a wall before he uses him as a shooting target. They don't have to be the romantic leads to be the parents of the younger generation on the show. These "new" characters (which Sami, Nicole, and Philip are not) have very little family support, and IMO that's really one of the biggest problems with getting rid of who they get rid of...other than me just preferring them.
Offline Profile Goto Top

KathyRon

michelle
Jul 1 2009, 07:52 PM

If you are looking for real romance and angst, you're not going to get it from the younger group in my opinion! Nobody does romance and angst like Bo & Hope, Steve & Kayla, Marlena & John even Sami & Lucas! :applause: These writers are too quick to put these people into a quick sex romp in an elevator rather than give them romance and angst! :frustration: Just don't think Carly really brings anything to the table in the Bo & Hope triangle unless you have Bo in some sort of memory loss where he doesn't remember Hope! She's his soulmate damnit! :smooch: Carly was the woman that got him through when he thought Hope died. To rewrite this storyline and make it anything else, is a slap in the face to Bope fans!
Offline Profile Goto Top

pnelsen

The NBC studios at Alameda Ave in Burbank Calif. have been bought by some company. I am assuming that it will cost huge money to move all of the "Days" warehouse (which they do stock at Alameda Ave. I have taken the NBC tour numerous times). I have a feeling that "days" will be no longer because they will not have a studio to go to. I really don't think NBC will build a new one for a lowly poor rated soap opera.
Offline Profile Goto Top

daisy132

I just had a thought....

For those who think that Nicole will run away with Sydney... Didn't that happen on Passions with Luis and Sherridan's son? Are we going to have Rafe and Sami chase Nicole around? Is Nicole going to run to Italy? I really hope not....
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tammy
Member Avatar

For me its not even the fact that J&M & Payla aren't on anymore. For the most part I am over that (for the most part lol).

It is the fact that he basically said "Tough shit if you liked those couples, if you want to see them go to one of their events". He pretty much told those groups of fans "Fuck you we don't need you anymore!"

Offline Profile Goto Top

misch
Member Avatar

♥ Tammy ♥
Jul 1 2009, 07:10 PM
Granted I am a J&M fan... and I haven't watched DAYS since J&M left. So I can't comment on if the show is better or worse after their departure.

I can comment however on the fact that Corday is douche! The way he can dismiss J&M and Steve and Kayla fans is beyond me. Those are two LARGE fan bases who served him and his fucking show VERY well over the years. Granted these fan bases don't play much purpose to his agenda at the moment... but I do believe that his show wouldn't have had a easy time getting THIS FAR without those fan bases!
I haven't either and I absolutely agree with your comment.
I actually wanted to tune back in whe Carly came back for I am a big Crystal Chappell fan and I loved the character of Carly.
But I am a huge J&M fan and they were a big reason i kept watching the show. And I really feel, and this article proved that, these characters were not given their due justice or proper storyline upon their exit. I will probably now watch the Carly snippets on youtube when she returns.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ariel

Bo & Hope are a pair of married police officers with ties to a mafia family that is currently involved in an ongoing vendetta with an international crime syndicate and the best they can come up with is another triangle?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Can403

Ken Corday never fails to remind everybody that he is an asshole. When Corday fired Ed Scott in Aug/2008, he fired the wrong Executive Producer. He should have fired the other one instead, that being himself.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

BAHAHA at the luncheon line! What an "oh snap" moment.

Apparently Days numbers have gone up, so yeah - he's cocky. Whatever. What honestly were people expecting in an interview from him after all this time? Apparently firing those 4 stagnant characters has done what was needed, as most online sources are saying the show has gotten alot better.
Online Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic