Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Days nationally preempted on Tuesday (7/7)
Topic Started: Jul 6 2009, 01:33 PM (2,037 Views)
Jason47
Member Avatar

"Days of Our Lives" will be preempted nationally on Tuesday, July 7 for coverage of the Michael Jackson funeral/memorial. This will be the 278th overall preemption in "Days" history. This will be the 5th preemption of "Days" for a funeral (along with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in 1968, President Harry S. Truman in 1972, President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1973 and President Ronald Reagan in 2004). Episode # 11117, which was scheduled to air on Tuesday, will now air on Wednesday, July 8. Upcoming debut dates will be changed accordingly: Rachel Kimsey and Nick Stabile will now debut on Monday, July 20 (instead of July 17). Catherine Wadkins will now debut on Tuesday, August 4 (instead of August 3). Wally Kurth's return as Justin Kiriakis will now be on Tuesday, August 11 (instead of August 10). http://www.jason47.com
Online Profile Goto Top

doolcrazy
Member Avatar

Thanks Jason. I was posting the same thing while you were too. Of course yours is much more interesting with the added info you could give us. Thanks
Offline Profile Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Jason47
Jul 6 2009, 01:33 PM
"Days of Our Lives" will be preempted nationally on Tuesday, July 7 for coverage of the Michael Jackson funeral/memorial. This will be the 278th overall preemption in "Days" history. This will be the 5th preemption of "Days" for a funeral (along with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in 1968, President Harry S. Truman in 1972, President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1973 and President Ronald Reagan in 2004). Episode # 11117, which was scheduled to air on Tuesday, will now air on Wednesday, July 8. Upcoming debut dates will be changed accordingly: Rachel Kimsey and Nick Stabile will now debut on Monday, July 20 (instead of July 17). Catherine Wadkins will now debut on Tuesday, August 4 (instead of August 3). Wally Kurth's return as Justin Kiriakis will now be on Tuesday, August 11 (instead of August 10). http://www.jason47.com
So . . . a civil rights giant, three former presidents and an entertainer? I really think this is completely unnecessary, especially when NBC has MSNBC that could easily carry the coverage if they honestly felt it was newsworthy, which, frankly, I do not consider the death of any entertainer, no matter his or her pop icon status, worthy of complete live coverage.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

I so agree with you Pax. All this coverage just isn't necessary.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Thanks Jason!

I don't mind the soaps being pre-empted for Jackson's memorial. Like him or not, he's an American icon.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lastDays
Member Avatar

ArizonaDaze
Jul 6 2009, 02:19 PM
I so agree with you Pax. All this coverage just isn't necessary.
I agree.The media have been going non stop covering his death.You'd have thought the prez was assassinated for gods sake.Pop icons are not deserving of a pre-emption to show their effing memorial service,which is a joke in itself.The taxpayers have to foot the bill for it,in a state that is drowning in debt.The thing shold have been scheduled for the weekend becuz it will cause a nightmare for working folks :redface:
Offline Profile Goto Top

mer4santo
Member Avatar
whaaaaaat?

I don't need to see MJ's memorial coverage thanks. There are plenty of other outlets for that stuff. Pop idol or not.
Online Profile Goto Top

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Hmmm today's Canadian episode did air today though. Usually in this case, it doesn't, and would air tomorrow.
Offline Profile Goto Top

mirabella

I agree with you all. I don't need to see MJ's memorial service. I was interested in the news surrounding MJ and watching many of the tributes in the form of his life story on so many channels, but after 12 of almost nothing but MJ on most of the stations and cable news networks, I am so ready to move on and I know everything I needed to know about him. I don't need to see the funeral/memorial service, too.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

I agree, mirabella. I have watched so many tributes to MJ already, and I have learned more about the poor man than I needed to know.

I am a fan of his, but to have all of this broadcast is unnecessary. If anything I am going to watch to see the mob of people overcome the LAPD and have total chaos in the streets.
I would love to know if these 9,000 VIP people had even talked to Michael in the past few years.
Offline Profile Goto Top

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I going with the others saying that this is too much. Grant it I will probably end up having the service on. Mainly now because there will be nothing else on to watch. But this is really getting out of hand. I feel like everyone from the news media, promoters, people who got tickets selling them on EBAY all the way to his family are now trying to cash in on the man's death. People have been riding on his coattails for years. It is pretty clear that he needed help and no one would bothered to tell him "no" because they didn't want to rock the boat.

We have three cable news channels along with E!, MTV, and VH1 that could (and probably will) air it. And for those people that don't have cable, put it on local PBS stations which you can get without cable. There is no reason the main ABC, CBS and NBC needs to air the exact same thing others are. For their part this is all about ratings and not wanting to be the ones left out.

Sorry for the rant, but really enough is enough with this.
Offline Profile Goto Top

mesagirl
Member Avatar

You know what gets me? The state of California is having to cough up money to help pay for this tribute, most notably the extra police protection and security that will be necessary. Los Angeles is operating at a $500 million deficit! Our education system is getting hit the hardest, with larger classrooms, less teachers, no librarians, no after school programs, no summer school programs, etc, etc... and yet Los Angeles/California is now expected to help cover these costs.

Where are they going to come up with the money? Heck maybe we should just close to the doors to the entire school system for a few months. :drunk:

There are much better ways to have a tribute to a man who most likely OD'd on a nasty mix of pain meds, that won't fall upon a state that is already struggling to stay afloat financially, with our children getting hurt the most.

Now don't get me wrong, I was an MJ fan, especially of his early work, and I understand he had a huge impact on the entertainment world, but this to me is not being able to see the forest for the tree.

Rant off lol
Offline Profile Goto Top

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Thanks, Jason! They should have kept the memorial on the news channels (CNN, MSN, FOX, etc).
Offline Profile Goto Top

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Let's look at the flip side. If NBC chose to air Days and the other two major networks air coverage of the funeral, how many people would actually watch Days? They know that day will be a wash programming wise, may as well join 'em if you can't beat 'em.

Having said that, this has all turned into a media circus. I think MJ's funeral should've been private and they could've arranged a memorial concert to be televised later in primetime, not this clusterfuck. Michael was a showman, but this is too much, even for him. The poor man, let him rest in peace.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

MJ will have a private service, this is suppose to be for "the fans." From the line-up I read, it sounds more like a tribute.

Being a resident of LA, I think the Jackson family/AEG should be paying for this. If the group that owns the Staples Center and Nokia want to do a tribute..FINE, but all those cops didnt donate their salaries.

They'll probably sell this tribute as well as MJ's final rehearsal and maybe merch, program, etc... and make a profit, but LA City can't re-coop all the overtime for the cops. (And the freeway's going to be a mess!...that's not news!)
Liz
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

Why don't they charge people for the "funeral"...isn't it a concert with a bunch of musicians paying tribute?
That way, they can cover costs for putting on the show, and the rest of the money can go towards his poor kids' therapy.
Rest in peace, MJ! Goodness knows you couldn't when you were alive.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

There not charging for the ticket, but I have read that people are selling their apartment parking spots near the Staples Center for $200-400 bucks!!!

I love MJ's music..but not at the expense of my city!
Liz
Offline Profile Goto Top

duchiekat

maybe the city is hoping that this memorial will bring in revenue from the people coming over . . . the businesses around staples center, restaurants and whatnot . . . much like when they had the lakers' parade. they city made some money out of that. poor michael, living or dead, his life is a media circus.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alin89
Member Avatar

i have days seculded to record tomorrow and it will i think
Offline Profile Goto Top

christngirl

you people are so disrespectful towards the dead wheather you like him or not he is dead leave
him alone and let him rest in peace soap opreas will be on the next day where they left off it
is only right for him to have a proper send off because michael jackson was a good man
and he deserves to rest in peace stop dissing the man when he cant defend himself to me
thats disrespectful towards his family and children they deserve to say goodbye the right way
its what michael would have wanted to see everyone who loved him to say goodbye oh and bye the way he is not a freak he is and always will be the king of pop
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic