Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Married With Children
Topic Started: Jul 12 2009, 10:00 AM (1,544 Views)
☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Never really watched this show too much, but my dad did, so I often sat through episodes. Saw an episode on late last night and tuned in. Good memories.

It was definitely very different from the typical family-type shows on primetime, and I think that's why it was so popular. If opened the doorway to many shows like Roseanne, where the family was not perfect, and it wasn't always happy times.

I know many people questioned if this sort of material is proper to expose to children, but hey ... my opinion is the parents can control that.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

littlemony
Member Avatar
Queen of the Underground

My parents loved this show but never let me watch it. I would still sneak it in on occasion. My favorite episode is the one where Marci's twin cousin comes to visit and she is so jealous of her, always getting all the attention from guys and being so good at sports, etc., and then she comes out of the closet and tells her she's a lesbian. At the end of the episode she hits on Peg and she acts like a little school girl. I thought that was the best episode.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I don't remember most of the episodes since its been so long, but I plan on watching now. My fav from what I do recall is, when Marcie has a one night stand with Steven and they get hitched. She wakes up the next morning and realizes what's happened.

Shylock

I really, really liked this show. I guess I'm fortunate enough to have had parents that didn't mind this show corrupting my youthful mind. Honestly, I didn't think it was *that* bad for kids. Sure some caution is required, but some people tend to forget that kids don't always pick up on certain elements of the more adult humor on this show.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I would say that there were a lot of elements that were inappropriate for young children. But like you said, most don't pick up on it. It was a very dry sense of humor, and its not like there was nudity.

There was a court case though where a lady tried to get the show off the air for its "inappropriate nature":

littlemony
Member Avatar
Queen of the Underground

When I watch a lot of these shows now as an adult, I totally pick up on things I did not get AT ALL when I was a kid. I was pretty sheltered until I was 13, then my parents split up and kinda forgot I existed, lol. But ya, ITA.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Its a lot funnier when I watch it now because I get a lot of the dirty comments and things going on. As a child, I didn't.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Now that TV Land is airing the show every night, I've become a Bundy junkie all over again
Edited by Rick, Sep 8 2009, 03:57 AM.

Daytime
Member Avatar

I am watching the episodes all over again, I am now watching the episodes where Peggy and Marcy are pregnant. What ever happen to the babies, it's like one season they were both preggers then it was totally written off. I don't even recall them giving birth.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I don't think they ever did give birth. Loved when Peggy first announced that she was preggers.

Daytime
Member Avatar

I found out from some of my twitter peeps what happened. Apparently the lady that plays Peg was pregnant in real life but lost the baby at eight months. Out of respect to her, they made it all a dream.

Now, I just have to find out what ever happend to that little boy name Seven.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Oh yeah. Now that you mentioned that, that is correct. She disclosed that info when they did their interview on E Tonight.

JDB

Seven didn't go over well with the fans so he was just dropped, disappeared like a soap opera character.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

In the 7th season, in what appeared to be an attempt to appeal to a more mainstream audience, the producers hired Shane Sweet to play the recurring character Seven.

The storyline (in the 7th season opener) is that relatives come to visit
the Bundys and stick them with their kid.

It quickly became clear that the fans were not happy with the new
direction or the new character. The writers at first wrote fewer lines
for him, and then wrote him out altogether. His disappearance was never explained in the show, although "Rock Of Ages" (NOT his last show) hints at an explanation.

Shane Sweet's last appearance was on "Peggy and the Pirates". However, his face appeared in two later episodes. I will not spoil the jokes by explaining this.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/tv/married-w-c-faq/

Daytime
Member Avatar

Well that explains everything. I always wondered about what happened to him.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I think the show really took a nose dive after the 3rd season. Nothing was really changing in terms of characters or storylines. There was very little developement.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Retro TV Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply