Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TVGC: Galen Gering discusses Days and James E. Reilly; Also: Why Passions failed
Topic Started: Jul 22 2009, 02:15 PM (4,588 Views)
Sindacco
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 22 2009, 11:34 PM
GG can act. Is he great? No. He doesn't have to be and he seems to know he isn't. If you write to his strengths, he's fine and that is what Days has done pretty much. He just gave up on Passions, like many of the actors did and I can understand why. JER just went all "shock and awe" in those last few years and the show no longer felt planned. It was a mess.
The writers should not have to adjust their writing after how weak or strong an actor is. And yes, he has to be great, all actors should be.

IMO GG is the absolute worst actor on the show, even the new teens that don't have acting experience are better.
Edited by Sindacco, Jul 23 2009, 04:51 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lazydazes
Member Avatar

Quote:

Yeah, Sami was the cause of most, if not all, of the problems in the safehouse. That doesn't change the fact that Rafe didn't do anything heroic. He may have tried, but he wasn't successful. She's only out of the safehouse now because someone else managed to get the killer. If he were a real soap hero, he would have protected her and taken out the killer. I don't know what your description of Bo has to do with anything that I said. Maybe I gave the impression that I think all "heroes" should have a squeaky clean record?

I was comparing Rafe to the other heroes of DAYS. I'm kind of confused with your post of what qualities a character must have in order for them to be considered a "hero". As I said earlier, Sami wasn't safe because she was always sneaking out all the time and not staying within the safehouse.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

hunterforrester
Jul 22 2009, 06:29 PM
I wasn't comparing Bo to Rafe. I was just saying a new hero is in town. And let's face it — Days is missing a few heroes. The show used to have a bunch of heroes on their canvas — John, Patch, Shane, Abe, Roman, etc. Today, there are too many villains on the show. All I said was move over.... as a style choice. It wasn't literal. Yikes — you are guys are literal so I'll be careful with that next time. Sorry! Rafe is a hero — he stood by Sami and Grace unconditionally. I think that's cool in Salem. This is a show where you have to blackmail a woman into having sex. I love that Rafe told Sami: I don't want to marry you yet! I thought that was cool. Are you guys liking Days these, er, Days?
Okay, color me confused. How is it that in the interview you state this:

Quote:

TVG: I agree, and this is coming from a major Sami and EJ fan.

but in the post I'm quoting now you toss out:

Quote:

Rafe is a hero — he stood by Sami and Grace unconditionally. I think that's cool in Salem. This is a show where you have to blackmail a woman into having sex.

The two statements don't jibe very well, IMO. :shrug:

And as for Rafe being a hero...nope. Not buying it. Heros don't lie and falsify legal documents to illegally adopt another man's child when they know full well the other dude has no idea about the child's existence. They also don't threaten to leave every time the woman they 'luv' disagrees with them. And they REALLY don't keep secrets from the same woman about their past - particularly when they know it could affect her custody status with her children.

Hilda was a hero. Rafe is a failure.

lysie
Member Avatar

lazydazes
Jul 23 2009, 08:48 AM
Quote:

Yeah, Sami was the cause of most, if not all, of the problems in the safehouse. That doesn't change the fact that Rafe didn't do anything heroic. He may have tried, but he wasn't successful. She's only out of the safehouse now because someone else managed to get the killer. If he were a real soap hero, he would have protected her and taken out the killer. I don't know what your description of Bo has to do with anything that I said. Maybe I gave the impression that I think all "heroes" should have a squeaky clean record?

I was comparing Rafe to the other heroes of DAYS. I'm kind of confused with your post of what qualities a character must have in order for them to be considered a "hero". As I said earlier, Sami wasn't safe because she was always sneaking out all the time and not staying within the safehouse.
There aren't specific qualities, but Rafe hasn't done anything but stand there and fail at his job. Good guy doesn't equal hero, IMO. The other heroes of Days actually saved people from things.

peaches179

Sindacco
Jul 23 2009, 04:48 AM
PhoenixRising05
GG can act. Is he great? No. He doesn't have to be and he seems to know he isn't. If you write to his strengths, he's fine and that is what Days has done pretty much. He just gave up on Passions, like many of the actors did and I can understand why. JER just went all "shock and awe" in those last few years and the show no longer felt planned. It was a mess.
The writers should not have to adjust their writing after how weak or strong an actor is. And yes, he has to be great, all actors should be.

IMO GG is the absolute worst actor on the show, even the new teens that don't have acting experience are better.

:applause:

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Nelson this was a very good interview. I agree with Galen about why Passions failed. I loved it the first five years, but then it became stale and uber creepy. I just quit tuning in.

mer4santo
Member Avatar

peaches179
Jul 23 2009, 09:31 AM
Sindacco
PhoenixRising05

I agree GG is pretty darn bad and the only reason he doesn't come off as worse is because his character is nice and bland; completely one-note.

As for Rafe and his 'hero'ness I recall in the safe house the Rafe left Sami to buy some penguins at which point he was attacked by the killer. Had writing been one bit realistic he would have just followed the injured and bleeding Rafe home. Lucky for Sami.....Rafe then chose not to call it in, became really sick and lost consciousness at which point I didn't think he was doing a great job of protecting Sami. He never let anyone know he had been wounded or that his cover had been blown. Those were bad FBI decisions and certainly not in the interest of protecting his witness.

I think the character is supposed to be an overall good guy but I'll tone down his hero characteristics. Brady is a good guy, Nathan is a good guy, Bo and Roman are good guys. Will is good, Lucas is good enough....we have plenty of 'good' guys but it seems that we really only have four villians: EJ, Philip, Victor and Stefano, half of which are rarely on the show. They aren't even really good villians anymore either.

six
Member Avatar

Sindacco
PhoenixRising05

I don't think he's the worst, and do think there can be a place for people who aren't necessarily spectacular, but being a major player in the lead story definitely isn't that place.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

mer4santo
Jul 23 2009, 10:07 AM
peaches179
Jul 23 2009, 09:31 AM
Sindacco

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep

I agree GG is pretty darn bad and the only reason he doesn't come off as worse is because his character is nice and bland; completely one-note.

As for Rafe and his 'hero'ness I recall in the safe house the Rafe left Sami to buy some penguins at which point he was attacked by the killer. Had writing been one bit realistic he would have just followed the injured and bleeding Rafe home. Lucky for Sami.....Rafe then chose not to call it in, became really sick and lost consciousness at which point I didn't think he was doing a great job of protecting Sami. He never let anyone know he had been wounded or that his cover had been blown. Those were bad FBI decisions and certainly not in the interest of protecting his witness.

I think the character is supposed to be an overall good guy but I'll tone down his hero characteristics. Brady is a good guy, Nathan is a good guy, Bo and Roman are good guys. Will is good, Lucas is good enough....we have plenty of 'good' guys but it seems that we really only have four villians: EJ, Philip, Victor and Stefano, half of which are rarely on the show. They aren't even really good villians anymore either.

I love this post. :cheers:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
PhoenixRising05

Even some of the best actors have to have writing that plays to their strengths. It happens. Not everyone can make everything work, no matter how talented they are.

If you expect every actor to be great, then that is just unrealistic. Yes, every actor has to bring their all to their scenes. They have to make the material work, whether it suits them or their character or not. However, I've seen talented actors take on roles and they were awful. Does that make them awful? No. It just means they don't fit the role. Sometimes TPTB think an actor or actress is good for a role and that ends up not being the case. So, IMO it's hard to judge an actor or actress on just one role. Galen has had two. He was ok as Luis early on and at times later on but he had many bad moments. However, trying to make that material work after awhile had to be difficult. Playing love scenes opposite a chimp? I would have difficulty making sense out of all that too.

Galen Gering to me is almost on par with Matt Cedeno. Galen IMO showed he could handle emotional material with the Grace stuff with what little he was given. Matt never did that as Brandon but he was better at other stuff like the everyday scenes. He always had an energy to him in those scenes. Galen tends to underplay those sort of scenes alot.

In the end, acting is just as subjective as anything else so the only point I can really argue is that writers do have to write to an actor's strengths, especially if they only have a certain actor in mind for a role. Not everything is always a perfect match and not every actor can always be great. Actors have to do what it takes to make the material work but the writing has to be there too. Every actor can't make shit turn into gold. Some are gifted enough to do so but they are a rare breed.

AngelOB
Member Avatar
Life is awesome

SocRMum1
Jul 23 2009, 09:14 AM
hunterforrester
I wasn't comparing Bo to Rafe. I was just saying a new hero is in town. And let's face it — Days is missing a few heroes. The show used to have a bunch of heroes on their canvas — John, Patch, Shane, Abe, Roman, etc. Today, there are too many villains on the show. All I said was move over.... as a style choice. It wasn't literal. Yikes — you are guys are literal so I'll be careful with that next time. Sorry! Rafe is a hero — he stood by Sami and Grace unconditionally. I think that's cool in Salem. This is a show where you have to blackmail a woman into having sex. I love that Rafe told Sami: I don't want to marry you yet! I thought that was cool. Are you guys liking Days these, er, Days?

Quote:

Quote:

Rafe is a hero — he stood by Sami and Grace unconditionally. I think that's cool in Salem. This is a show where you have to blackmail a woman into having sex.

And as for Rafe being a hero...nope. Not buying it. Heros don't lie and falsify legal documents to illegally adopt another man's child when they know full well the other dude has no idea about the child's existence. They also don't threaten to leave every time the woman they 'luv' disagrees with them. And they REALLY don't keep secrets from the same woman about their past - particularly when they know it could affect her custody status with her children.

Hilda was a hero. Rafe is a failure.
Amen! Can't wait till the next time our hero threatens to leave Sami for having the audacity to ask him some basic questions about his past.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I want to know more about the "he used the religious..." and how Reilly thought his vision would be better executed on DirectTV. What the hell did he really want the show to be? Why would he take on Days, too, if there were interference at Passions?

Good interview, managed to make me like the guy for the first time. I've never really connected with him by watching.

Alligato
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
hunterforrester

Quote:

Quote:

Sure they do.
I am an EJ and Sami fan (sometimes not together though)....but no matter, EJ still blackmailed Sami to have sex with him.
What's the problem being both.
I am an EJ fan regardless of the whole rape thing, torture thing, etc. I just like (liked) the character and how the actor portrayed him.

I also see Rafe as the hero type, who did anything to please the woman he loved...be it, getting those damn peguins or trying to protect her secret that she begged him to keep, and even going so far as to go along with her on her stupid lie to EJ. Rafe persuaded her to tell EJ, but when he realized that she was truly scared for her life and the baby's and hated EJ that much, he did anything to help her.
I guess he is a hero in Sami's eyes.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

Alligato
Jul 23 2009, 12:29 PM
SocRMum1
hunterforrester

Quote:

Quote:

Sure they do.
I am an EJ and Sami fan (sometimes not together though)....but no matter, EJ still blackmailed Sami to have sex with him.
What's the problem being both.
I am an EJ fan regardless of the whole rape thing, torture thing, etc. I just like (liked) the character and how the actor portrayed him.

I also see Rafe as the hero type, who did anything to please the woman he loved...be it, getting those damn peguins or trying to protect her secret that she begged him to keep, and even going so far as to go along with her on her stupid lie to EJ. Rafe persuaded her to tell EJ, but when he realized that she was truly scared for her life and the baby's and hated EJ that much, he did anything to help her.
I guess he is a hero in Sami's eyes.
My point is that from reading the interview I thought he was stating himself as a fan of the Sami/EJ pairing. His comment about being a 'major' Sami and EJ fan was in response to GG stating:

Quote:

I had known Ali before I joined the show. Obviously, she has a fiery personality, and she brings that element to her character, so I knew I’d have fun working with Ali. I love working with her and I think we have a lot of chemistry. She respects what I bring to the table, and vice versa.

From that, I don't think he was talking about the individual characters but rather the pairing.

With that said, he goes on to use in his argument about whether Rafe is a hero a plot point that happened 2&1/2 years ago. Many, many people have had sex on the show since then without blackmail being involved - including Sami and EJ, both together and with others. So it struck me as odd that a 'major' Sami and EJ fan would use the most controversial plot point from their history to prop the 'hero' he's defending.

It sounded like bullshit to me. :shrug:

And as for whether Rafe is a hero in Sami's eyes...I have to agree with what EJ told her last week. She's never been the best judge of character. :lol: EJ was once a hero in her eyes, as well. ;) As was Austin, Franco, Lucas, Brandon, etc, etc, etc....

desertgal

hunterforrester
Thanks Hunterforester for the Galen interview.

It was a great interview and I always enjoy hearing what Galen has to say. I couldn't agree more that Days needs a hero and Galen is just the man. In fact I believe he is working undercover at the moment and we just don't know it yet.

I know there are many on this board that don't like Galen but there also many viewers that love watching Galen and Ali on Days.

Great news about Lindsay coming to the show as well.

daisy132

Dragonish1
Jul 23 2009, 10:00 AM
Nelson this was a very good interview. I agree with Galen about why Passions failed. I loved it the first five years, but then it became stale and uber creepy. I just quit tuning in.
I'm at the same point with Days. I agree, GG is a nice guy. I can just look at his pictures.

Alligato
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Jul 23 2009, 02:09 PM
With that said, he goes on to use in his argument about whether Rafe is a hero a plot point that happened 2&1/2 years ago. Many, many people have had sex on the show since then without blackmail being involved - including Sami and EJ, both together and with others. So it struck me as odd that a 'major' Sami and EJ fan would use the most controversial plot point from their history to prop the 'hero' he's defending.

It sounded like bullshit to me. :shrug:

And as for whether Rafe is a hero in Sami's eyes...I have to agree with what EJ told her last week. She's never been the best judge of character. :lol: EJ was once a hero in her eyes, as well. ;) As was Austin, Franco, Lucas, Brandon, etc, etc, etc....
Because of alll of the hoopla and controversy, the blackmail/rape/whatever will be a huge part of EJami history for a long time. It just doesn't seem to go away...and even the supposed fans keep bringing it up. :shrug:

It's okay for Rafe to be a hero...everyone always says that he is boring, and usually the heroes have that tendency. I am not a fan of Rafe and think that his intro to the scene was a totally unnecessary device to appease AS...and for some reason when Sami is gushy happy over a man, she is at her most boring and annoying.

That being said, I find myself really like GG and EM so it is hard for me to wish them off the show. And as pissed as I am about LH joining, I'll probably like her too.

Taelyn

Thanks for the Interview, I really enjoyed it.

The simple truth is, many Ejami fans will always find fault with Rafe simply because he stands in the way of what they want. They might blame their vitriol on different things, He is boring, He cant act, He threatened to leave Sami, ETC.. But his real crime is ... He is not EJ.

I happen to agree that He has definate "Hero quality" I saw it even before they paired them up with Sammi.
Its funny to me how anyone can get so worked up and angry over a character that's worst crime isnt even in the same neighborhood as their favorite hunk.. And Rant about what an awful person Rafe is just because he stands up to Sami and refuses to be manipulated by her .. I mean .. How dare he LOL.

Is he keeping a secret from Sami? Yes.. Should he? probably not.. But what important here is his intention, and that is to NOT HURT Sami, And protect his sister..
In my opnion Rafes very worst crime is that "Sami Loves Him".. He has a part of her that EJ has never had , and likely never will.

Its just kinda funny that when it looked like the writing was going in Ejami's direction all I read was "This is the direction they are taking us, and we need to let go of the past and accept it" But now that the direction has changed again, The sky is falling... My My how things change.

Again, Thanks for the interview GG was charming and funny, and it sounds like he and AS are having a great time together, and Im enjoying the SAFE story.

lysie
Member Avatar

Taelyn
Jul 23 2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the Interview, I really enjoyed it.

The simple truth is, many Ejami fans will always find fault with Rafe simply because he stands in the way of what they want. They might blame their vitriol on different things, He is boring, He cant act, He threatened to leave Sami, ETC.. But his real crime is ... He is not EJ.

I happen to agree that He has definate "Hero quality" I saw it even before they paired them up with Sammi.
Its funny to me how anyone can get so worked up and angry over a character that's worst crime isnt even in the same neighborhood as their favorite hunk.. And Rant about what an awful person Rafe is just because he stands up to Sami and refuses to be manipulated by her .. I mean .. How dare he LOL.

Is he keeping a secret from Sami? Yes.. Should he? probably not.. But what important here is his intention, and that is to NOT HURT Sami, And protect his sister..
In my opnion Rafes very worst crime is that "Sami Loves Him".. He has a part of her that EJ has never had , and likely never will.

Its just kinda funny that when it looked like the writing was going in Ejami's direction all I read was "This is the direction they are taking us, and we need to let go of the past and accept it" But now that the direction has changed again, The sky is falling... My My how things change.

Again, Thanks for the interview GG was charming and funny, and it sounds like he and AS are having a great time together, and Im enjoying the SAFE story.
I don't know if I'm one of who you're talking about, but I just wanted to throw out there that I don't think Rafe is a hero and I hate everything about EJ. I don't care for Rafe, but at the moment I prefer him and GG to EJ and JS.

six
Member Avatar

It always comes back to EJ, doesn't it. I'll never understand why so many try to defend a character to EJ fans by saying some variation on "EJ's not an upstanding citizen." Nope, he isn't, and that's what draws a lot of his fans to him. People who'd support two people like EJ and Sami probably don't consider the qualities that Rafe has to offer all that great in a soap character. DR is probably the most anti "any Sami relationship" board out there, so it's definitely not overrun with ejamis and Rafe still isn't getting much love here.
Edited by six, Jul 23 2009, 08:57 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply