Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TVGC: Galen Gering discusses Days and James E. Reilly; Also: Why Passions failed
Topic Started: Jul 22 2009, 02:15 PM (4,672 Views)
mer4santo
Member Avatar

six
Jul 23 2009, 08:54 PM
It always comes back to EJ, doesn't it. I'll never understand why so many try to defend a character to EJ fans by saying some variation on "EJ's not an upstanding citizen." Nope, he isn't, and that's what draws a lot of his fans to him. People who'd support two people like EJ and Sami probably don't consider the qualities that Rafe has to offer all that great in a soap character. DR is probably the most anti "any Sami relationship" board out there, so it's definitely not overrun with ejamis and Rafe still isn't getting much love here.
applause for the above.

I'm an EJ fan and lord knows they've douched him in the past year and a half so there isn't much to root for in a witty and charming villian anymore. I care for my characters to have some complexity to them and at the very least, Dena and Co have destroyed that about every character on screen in her reign. Why I keep hanging on to the show is unexplainable since for this fan there isn't much to root for. Show, why can't I quit you?

The thing I don't understand is why people think that Sami is such a good girl? I don't mean to start any argument, this is a genuine request. The Sami that I've known forever is not a hero and I agree with whoever said that she is at her most annoying when she is happy over a man.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

mer4santo
Jul 23 2009, 09:41 PM
six
Jul 23 2009, 08:54 PM
It always comes back to EJ, doesn't it. I'll never understand why so many try to defend a character to EJ fans by saying some variation on "EJ's not an upstanding citizen." Nope, he isn't, and that's what draws a lot of his fans to him. People who'd support two people like EJ and Sami probably don't consider the qualities that Rafe has to offer all that great in a soap character. DR is probably the most anti "any Sami relationship" board out there, so it's definitely not overrun with ejamis and Rafe still isn't getting much love here.
applause for the above.

I'm an EJ fan and lord knows they've douched him in the past year and a half so there isn't much to root for in a witty and charming villian anymore. I care for my characters to have some complexity to them and at the very least, Dena and Co have destroyed that about every character on screen in her reign. Why I keep hanging on to the show is unexplainable since for this fan there isn't much to root for. Show, why can't I quit you?

The thing I don't understand is why people think that Sami is such a good girl? I don't mean to start any argument, this is a genuine request. The Sami that I've known forever is not a hero and I agree with whoever said that she is at her most annoying when she is happy over a man.
I don't get it either. She's not at her must sneaky right now, but she's done plenty of lying, sneaking around, snooping, etc. She's not going to be sainted any time soon, and she's definitely still annoying.

Livie

As one who is looking at EJ from a new direction since I have not watched the show for over a year until recently, there is a definite change going on here.

I will say the fiery chemistry of EJ and Sami does not show up in Rafe and Sami, but the way I have seen Sami and EJ in the few scenes I do not see it existing with them anymore either. I find the acting of James Scott to be rather bland, but I also see it being caused by the ridiculous character he is now playing. To see him played like a brook trout ( very easy fish to land) by Nicole and Stefano makes him seem more wooden than others are accusing Rafe of being.

I almost wonder if Tomlin is bringing on more and more Passions actors to use as a way to push both James Scott and Ali Sweeney to the outer fringes of Days. Theresa was always a Sami-like character.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Taelyn
Jul 23 2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the Interview, I really enjoyed it.

The simple truth is, many Ejami fans will always find fault with Rafe simply because he stands in the way of what they want. They might blame their vitriol on different things, He is boring, He cant act, He threatened to leave Sami, ETC.. But his real crime is ... He is not EJ.

I happen to agree that He has definate "Hero quality" I saw it even before they paired them up with Sammi.
Its funny to me how anyone can get so worked up and angry over a character that's worst crime isnt even in the same neighborhood as their favorite hunk.. And Rant about what an awful person Rafe is just because he stands up to Sami and refuses to be manipulated by her .. I mean .. How dare he LOL.

Is he keeping a secret from Sami? Yes.. Should he? probably not.. But what important here is his intention, and that is to NOT HURT Sami, And protect his sister..
In my opnion Rafes very worst crime is that "Sami Loves Him".. He has a part of her that EJ has never had , and likely never will.

Its just kinda funny that when it looked like the writing was going in Ejami's direction all I read was "This is the direction they are taking us, and we need to let go of the past and accept it" But now that the direction has changed again, The sky is falling... My My how things change.

Again, Thanks for the interview GG was charming and funny, and it sounds like he and AS are having a great time together, and Im enjoying the SAFE story.
If you really go back and read this thread (and others) with an open mind you will find that it is not just the EJ or EJami fans that dislike Rafe or find GG to be boring actor. You may wish to lump everyone in that same category - but it just isn't so. And a good number of folks who are speaking out against Rafe hate EJ and/or Sami with a passion. :lol:

Quote:

I happen to agree that He has definate "Hero quality" I saw it even before they paired them up with Sammi.

I have to ask...when exactly was this? Because from what I've seen he's been 'paired' with Sami from the moment he hit the screen.

Quote:

Is he keeping a secret from Sami? Yes.. Should he? probably not.. But what important here is his intention, and that is to NOT HURT Sami, And protect his sister..

We have no idea why he's keeping this 'secret' - it hasn't been revealed in the writing yet. Now...to be honest I don't think it will turn out that Rafe is a bad guy or has nefarious plans for Sami because, frankly, I don't think they can trust that GG could pull off the material. But still... we have no idea why Rafe is keeping this secret. And I can't speak for everyone else, but if my significant other ever told me they were keeping a major secret from me because they didn't want to "hurt" me we'd be headed for major problems.

Quote:

In my opnion Rafes very worst crime is that "Sami Loves Him".. He has a part of her that EJ has never had , and likely never will.

Didn't Sami just tell EJ a couple of months ago that a part of her will always love him? Yes...I do believe she did. :smile:

Quote:

Its just kinda funny that when it looked like the writing was going in Ejami's direction all I read was "This is the direction they are taking us, and we need to let go of the past and accept it" But now that the direction has changed again, The sky is falling... My My how things change.

Again, I can't speak for anyone else but nothing has changed for me. I still see the writing as going in EJami's direction. The baby reveal is going to be a major catalyst. And GG referred to the story with Rafe, Sami and EJ as a triangle and indicated there is some stuff coming up on that. Oh yes...I absolutely see the writing going in the direction of EJami. But it doesn't change the fact that I disagree with touting Rafe as a hero. He's not.

Taelyn

lysie
Jul 23 2009, 08:46 PM
Taelyn

The simple truth is, many Ejami fans will always find fault with Rafe simply because he stands in the way of what they want. They might blame their vitriol on different things, He is boring, He cant act, He threatened to leave Sami, ETC.. But his real crime is ... He is not EJ.

Its funny to me how anyone can get so worked up and angry over a character that's worst crime isnt even in the same neighborhood as their favorite hunk.. And Rant about what an awful person Rafe is just because he stands up to Sami and refuses to be manipulated by her .. I mean .. How dare he LOL.

Again, Thanks for the interview GG was charming and funny, and it sounds like he and AS are having a great time together, and Im enjoying the SAFE story.
I don't know if I'm one of who you're talking about, but I just wanted to throw out there that I don't think Rafe is a hero and I hate everything about EJ. I don't care for Rafe, but at the moment I prefer him and GG to EJ and JS.
I wasnt talking to or about any one person, and ofcourse different opinions come from all directions.
By the same token some Ejami's Like Rafe, or GG just not with Sami.

It just seems that sometimes the level of hatred directed towards him is Bizarre. Especially considering he has not done anything to warrant the emotion..And its hard to buy into the "he bores me so much I feel nothing" claim when some post seem to be dripping with hatred. I understand not everyone likes him, or that he makes them feel like I feel, I just dont get the hatred. I mean I dont like EJ with Sami, but I dont hate EJ or JS.. I didnt even Hate EJ when he was doing things I hated ecause .. hey .. that was his role and Salem needs a Villian.

But thats just me, I dont hate any character or pairing that way.. Even my least favorites might leave a bad taste in my mouth, or leave me uninterested but I just FF thru them.

sungrey

Livie
Jul 23 2009, 09:59 PM
As one who is looking at EJ from a new direction since I have not watched the show for over a year until recently, there is a definite change going on here.

I will say the fiery chemistry of EJ and Sami does not show up in Rafe and Sami, but the way I have seen Sami and EJ in the few scenes I do not see it existing with them anymore either. I find the acting of James Scott to be rather bland, but I also see it being caused by the ridiculous character he is now playing. To see him played like a brook trout ( very easy fish to land) by Nicole and Stefano makes him seem more wooden than others are accusing Rafe of being.

I almost wonder if Tomlin is bringing on more and more Passions actors to use as a way to push both James Scott and Ali Sweeney to the outer fringes of Days. Theresa was always a Sami-like character.
If he is, then he deserves to be fired. This is Days of our Lives, not Passions 2.0.

That said, I do not think this is the case. James and Ali do have huge fan followings and NBC would be nuts to tamper with that (then again, this IS NBC we're talking about here... lol)

To me, Bryan and Ali will always have the best chemistry, but I am liking the Safe story. As for Galen's acting being wooden in the last several years of Passions, I think the acting of the Days cast was pretty bad during Reilly's last go-round. It all depends on whether or not you believe in the material you're performing.

Manda1

Taelyn
Jul 24 2009, 12:36 AM
lysie
Jul 23 2009, 08:46 PM
Taelyn

I don't know if I'm one of who you're talking about, but I just wanted to throw out there that I don't think Rafe is a hero and I hate everything about EJ. I don't care for Rafe, but at the moment I prefer him and GG to EJ and JS.
I wasnt talking to or about any one person, and ofcourse different opinions come from all directions.
By the same token some Ejami's Like Rafe, or GG just not with Sami.

It just seems that sometimes the level of hatred directed towards him is Bizarre. Especially considering he has not done anything to warrant the emotion..And its hard to buy into the "he bores me so much I feel nothing" claim when some post seem to be dripping with hatred. I understand not everyone likes him, or that he makes them feel like I feel, I just dont get the hatred. I mean I dont like EJ with Sami, but I dont hate EJ or JS.. I didnt even Hate EJ when he was doing things I hated ecause .. hey .. that was his role and Salem needs a Villian.

But thats just me, I dont hate any character or pairing that way.. Even my least favorites might leave a bad taste in my mouth, or leave me uninterested but I just FF thru them.
There is no point denying it many Ejami's and I am of course not refering to any this board :tounge: are bitter and angry because they have 'waited' 3 years for their couple, sami already had two men and didn't need another one, Rafe is not the father of any of her kids and she should be with one of them, Galen cannot act, Galen is a favourite of GT and that is the only reason why he got the job, Galen is monotone in his delivery, Galen doesn't speak clearly, Galen is boring, Galen was on Passions, Rafe is boring, Rafe is creepy, Rafe is a peodofile, Rafe is a stalker, Rafe is a murderer and EJ will need to rescue Sami from him in the end, Rafe keeps threatening to leave Sami when she disagrees with him, Rafe is not telling everything about his past with Emily, Rafe's lying and Arianna is not really his sister but some undercover person who he has more chemistry with than Sami, Rafe should be Roman's son, Rafe should be paired with Nicole because he has more chemistry with her than Sami, Rafe should have been written off when the WP storyline finished, Rafe should have been written off when Grace died, Rafe tried to adop Grace is is EJ's - not, Rafe should have been placed in scenes and chem tested with all the women in days before being paired with Sami, Ali's pimping Galen as a good co-star to work with is pathetic and not working, Rafe is trying to take the place of Lucas for talking to Will......have I missed anything? I think this covers the comments of all Rafe and Galen haters even the non-Ejami ones and there are a lot on this board but they also hate others and the show in some cases! :laugh:

The woman that does the promo's for days shared info on her twitter that Safe are by far and away the highest scoring pariing on the show at the moment since April 27,that Bope are 2nd and Ejami are 3rd. These are random polls across a range of viewers with different ages, locations and ethnicities which are done with a wider audience and many more viewers than the same posters posting the same topics about Rafe from board to board.

The viewers have spoken by the poll results - they have good taste I think :lol:

mer4santo
Member Avatar

Manda1
Jul 24 2009, 06:26 AM
The woman that does the promo's for days shared info on her twitter that Safe are by far and away the highest scoring pariing on the show at the moment since April 27,that Bope are 2nd and Ejami are 3rd. These are random polls across a range of viewers with different ages, locations and ethnicities which are done with a wider audience and many more viewers than the same posters posting the same topics about Rafe from board to board.

The viewers have spoken by the poll results - they have good taste I think :lol:
The curious fact about her poll numbers is that they totalled to something like 160%. I think she removed them from her twitter because they were seperate polling numbers that she lumped together. Who knows who the original polling involved, what couples, when they were polled, etc.

Her numbers didn't prove anything without the context they were polled in. :huh:

six
Member Avatar

Even if the numbers are accurate, I don't see why any ejami fan would find them disheartening. As many like to point out, ejami never got the chance to be a real couple, yet there they are right behind bope. Safe, meanwhile, has the promotion machine behind it. It'll be interesting to see what happens once this triangle GG referenced really gets going.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I'd like to know the context too. I assume the range of numbers she provided provided snapshots from the lowest to highest; this is the lowest Safe, for example, polled for one week was "x" and the highest they polled for one week was "y." Of course, another thing we don't know is what question or questions were asked. "Who's your favorite couple?" is a different question than "which couples are you responding to favorably?" for example, or "which couple do you enjoy watching?" It's also true that for the time period she cited Safe was receiving the most favorable writing in terms of "should I emotionally invest in this couple": they were happy, they have no secrets between them, they made love, then Grace died and it didn't tear them apart but bonded them further. Possibly the numbers would be different for this next ratings period, if and when there is more suspicion between Sami and Rafe. Oh, and we don't know either when the high and low numbers in the range fell, for any of the three couples she cited numbers for.

I'm not saying I disbelieve the results of the research, I'd just like to see--not that I ever will--the questions that were asked and how the numbers correlated to what was going on in the story at the time. As an Alison Sweeney non-fan, it's very difficult for me to believe any pairing of hers would be the most popular on the show, but Safe is certainly being written as a rooting couple.

I was also curious as to why none of Chloe's pairings or potential pairings made that list. Nor did Lucas's, yet they asked about brand new couples like Melanie and Nathan. It's difficult for me to believe that Danloe was statistically insignificant, so did they not poll for them (and if not, why not?) or did she simply not mention them.
Edited by Paxton, Jul 24 2009, 10:50 AM.

mer4santo
Member Avatar

Paxton
Jul 24 2009, 10:49 AM
I'd like to know the context too. I assume the range of numbers she provided provided snapshots from the lowest to highest; this is the lowest Safe, for example, polled for one week was "x" and the highest they polled for one week was "y." Of course, another thing we don't know is what question or questions were asked. "Who's your favorite couple?" is a different question than "which couples are you responding to favorably?" for example, or "which couple do you enjoy watching?" It's also true that for the time period she cited Safe was receiving the most favorable writing in terms of "should I emotionally invest in this couple": they were happy, they have no secrets between them, they made love, then Grace died and it didn't tear them apart but bonded them further. Possibly the numbers would be different for this next ratings period, if and when there is more suspicion between Sami and Rafe. Oh, and we don't know either when the high and low numbers in the range fell, for any of the three couples she cited numbers for.

I'm not saying I disbelieve the results of the research, I'd just like to see--not that I ever will--the questions that were asked and how the numbers correlated to what was going on in the story at the time. As an Alison Sweeney non-fan, it's very difficult for me to believe any pairing of hers would be the most popular on the show, but Safe is certainly being written as a rooting couple.

I was also curious as to why none of Chloe's pairings or potential pairings made that list. Nor did Lucas's, yet they asked about brand new couples like Melanie and Nathan. It's difficult for me to believe that Danloe was statistically insignificant, so did they not poll for them (and if not, why not?) or did she simply not mention them.
She did have numbers for some of the other pairings but iirc there were no polls with Philip demonstrated. And I don't believe that there aren't any fans of Philip out there at all myself. Many pairings were lumped together at the end. It was really ad hoc and again, I'd like to see the context for the numbers.

Like any of it matters, the writing for the entire show is not good and that is what ultimately floats or sinks the ship.

six
Member Avatar

Someone on another board posted the numbers as heyjude tweeted them: DOOL FANS:Here's the research for the top couples on Days from week of 4/27 to last week... SAFE ON TOP ranging from 66% to 80%;

BOPE 2nd top couple ranging from 52% to 64%; EJAM 3rd couple ranging from 45% - 60% and the rest range in order EJOLE; continued

Philip & Stephanie; Brady & Arianna; Melanie & Nathan; Brady & Nicole and Will & MIa

Yea, as Mer said, those percentages don't jibe, and ITA about danloe. I just don't believe they're behind non couples like nel and brianna who are just getting started, and Nathan wasn't created until after April.

mer4santo
Member Avatar

six
Jul 24 2009, 11:11 AM
Someone on another board posted the numbers as heyjude tweeted them: DOOL FANS:Here's the research for the top couples on Days from week of 4/27 to last week... SAFE ON TOP ranging from 66% to 80%;

BOPE 2nd top couple ranging from 52% to 64%; EJAM 3rd couple ranging from 45% - 60% and the rest range in order EJOLE; continued

Philip & Stephanie; Brady & Arianna; Melanie & Nathan; Brady & Nicole and Will & MIa

Yea, as Mer said, those percentages don't jibe, and ITA about danloe. I just don't believe they're behind non couples like nel and brianna who are just getting started, and Nathan wasn't created until after April.
thanks for finding that; I missed Philip, my mistake. :)

Paxton
Member Avatar

Well, I don't think you're supposed to be adding the percentages, though. I think it's just a range of numbers. For example:

BOPE 2nd top couple ranging from 52% to 64%

I take that to mean that during the polling period conducted, fans were asked some question or questions about Bo and Hope per week. The lowest favorable rating they scored was 52%. The highest favorable rating they received was 62%. Bope's numbers are independent of Safe's, or EJami's, or EJole's, or anyone else's. I don't think you're supposed to see it as 80% of the audience has Safe as their favorite couple plus 62% has Bope as their favorite, etc. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're saying about how the percentages don't add up.

And that's why I think the question was more, "do you view this couple positively?" than "who is your favorite couple?" I could see how the majority of the audience could have a positive view of Safe but that's not the same as whether they're the favorite of the majority of the general audience. That's why I find the question(s) asked to be very relevant to knowing how these numbers were obtained, so although this info is interesting and I'm glad she put it out there, there's certainly a lot that's left out.

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

That poll does not mean a damn thing this is from a woman who makes prom vids...whats important is the ratings,,and they SUCK..for a third week in a row..DOOL lost viewers,can't blame golf,tennis,or even poor MJ's funeral,,the show sucks outloud.Guess the viewers HAVE spoken,,with their remotes!hehe..that snorefest,the rooting couple!!!??I KNOW different!!hehehe ;) !!!
Edited by EjsGaGirl, Jul 24 2009, 11:36 AM.

mirabella

Paxton
Jul 24 2009, 11:17 AM
Well, I don't think you're supposed to be adding the percentages, though. I think it's just a range of numbers. For example:

I take that to mean that during the polling period conducted, fans were asked some question or questions about Bo and Hope per week. The lowest favorable rating they scored was 52%. The highest favorable rating they received was 62%. Bope's numbers are independent of Safe's, or EJami's, or EJole's, or anyone else's. I don't think you're supposed to see it as 80% of the audience has Safe as their favorite couple plus 62% has Bope as their favorite, etc. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're saying about how the percentages don't add up.

And that's why I think the question was more, "do you view this couple positively?" than "who is your favorite couple?" I could see how the majority of the audience could have a positive view of Safe but that's not the same as whether they're the favorite of the majority of the general audience. That's why I find the question(s) asked to be very relevant to knowing how these numbers were obtained, so although this info is interesting and I'm glad she put it out there, there's certainly a lot that's left out.
Paxton, I think you are right. When the promo person tweeted some casual questions, she was bombarded with some not so nice replies from some fans. She answered a fans question regarding the show's research on SAFE vs Ejami by saying that for several months, Safe had been polling higher than Ejami. A fan then demanded that she show proof. She said she did not have their inhouse results at home and would tweet them when she got back to work on Monday. That was the results that she sent out. I don't think that she felt that she had to post all of the research on a board somewhere. This was just some casual conversation that she was having with the fans on Twitter. Those surveys must be conducted by Days weekly but they don't publish the results but use them to know what direction to take storylines and to know what is and is not working. We will probably never know exactly what the questions were but we don't really need to. As you said, it is obvious that they are currently writing Safe as the rooting couple.

six
Member Avatar

Paxton
Jul 24 2009, 11:17 AM

That makes more sense. I took it to mean a series of "who's your favorite" polls with each couple getting a share of the 100%. IIRC, it was her wording of the response that led to her posting the numbers that caused people to read it that way, but since those posts are gone, I don't want to put words in her mouth. They were quickly snatched, though, which is unfortunate.

Funny banner btw. Poor Phil.
Edited by six, Jul 24 2009, 11:35 AM.

Paxton
Member Avatar

six
Jul 24 2009, 11:33 AM
Funny banner btw. Poor Phil.
Thanks! It's not as pretty as your banner, but it expresses my current feelings so well . . . .

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm confused by this:

"Maybe James used the religious angle '

Where was he going with that?
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I wish this question would have been followed up on:

"To me, it felt like the show was being driven into the ground on purpose."

Um, that's a scoop! He needs to spill.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply