Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Louise Sorel (Vivian) Returns!
Topic Started: Jul 27 2009, 04:41 PM (8,752 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 28 2009, 11:32 AM
MichaelGL
Jul 28 2009, 09:47 AM
Tripp
Jul 28 2009, 09:31 AM
I loved LS but there at the end they made her way too campy. I figure she's short term or will just be interacting with Carly some (to explain Carly leaving the Alamains).

But anyone else worried with Dena's fix on age inappropriate relationships...they will hook her up with Nathan?
I'm fearing what Dena will do to her all together, not just relationships wise.
I can't believe some feel Dena still has any control on this show LOL. It's obvious she doesn't and some sources have even came out and said as much on some boards. Ever since November when they took her blog down and the show took on the JER-like style of storytelling (something Higley wanted to do but could never really master because she could never pace things and execute them properly), it's been obvious more and more that the show was in Tomlin and Whitesell's hands. This move by Days alone proves that. The Alamain's were all but forgotten. We never heard about them after they left. In the SOD article on Carly's return, Corday revealed that Tomlin and a writer (which had to be Whitesell since he and Tomlin are best buds) came to him with the idea to bring Carly back for a Bo/Hope story and he went along with it. With the way things ended with Sorel and the way the Alamain's were practically erased once Nicholas and Vivian left, there is no way Corday thought of this.

I can't blame people for being worried because I can understand that. I would say it's more then likely those returning will not be written the same as they once were in some ways, which is fine IMO because people do change over the years. However, this is not the same Days and those who have been enjoying it before the returns will likely enjoy it with them and those that haven't...I just can see them being set up for disappointment because nothing is really changing. They are just bringing on some former faces to add to the canvas. The style won't change. The direction won't change. The only difference is Bo and Hope get more airtime and we get to see Carly, Vivian, and perhaps Lawrence again.

One thing I will say is Days really upped the talent of the cast. It was already pretty talented with the talented newcomers joining those already there but with Hartley, Chappell, Sorel, Kurth, and possibly Sabatino and Evans returning...the show has really upped it's game in the star power department.
I actually agree with you on a lot of this. The only thing I don't agree with is that the current cast is talented. They may be, but it certainly hasn't been showcased for months. There are sporadic moments where individuals shine, but for the most part they've taken some formerly good actors and reduced them to crap, have added some more mediocre ones, and are giving the good ones nothing to work with. I have no confidence that anyone coming in is going to be given anything worth doing. Supposedly, they're not getting more than one take for acting, and IMO it shows.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Jul 28 2009, 11:37 AM
^^ Tim - Dena is still credited as the head writer. Now if, as you've been saying, the show is entirely in Tomlin's hands, then why not just fire Dena? I'm curious as to how you'd explain the fact that she's still around.

I've explained it numerous times. It keeps Corday out of the mix because he loves Higley.

At first, they kept her because there had already been too much drama. Then I believe Tomlin and Whitesell decided to keep her around as basically a glorified co-HW because Corday won't be involved as long as he trusts those in there. We all know after a few months he likes to interfere. He didn't this time and I think the Higley factor combined with the fact that the show was doing better was why.

We've even heard it from numerous sources that Tomlin and Whitesell are steering the ship. Nelson said it. It's been discussed on SON numerous times. The whole feel of the show is nothing like that of Higley. This isn't just interference. The show changed last Fall. Every writer creates a feel and tone on the shows they write for. Her's has been gone for a long time. Her blog was even taken down. She doesn't even talk in interviews anymore. In the SOD article where Corday discussed the future a few weeks ago, he mentioned the EP and the writer when in the past he would come right out and say Higley. I'm sure he knows she isn't in control but I don't think he cares at this point because the show is doing well and I think he just likes the idea of having her there as his mouthpiece if things ever go bad.

I'm also sure there is a degree of fear given all the controversy Higley stirred up. Maybe they are afraid she will say something or expose something that has happened if she gets fired. Higley knows her chances of finding work, at least as a HW, are slim so she would just stick around even if she's not HW.

Whatever the case, I just can't see how people can still feel she is in charge or having any influence. Just because she is credited? We know about network and producer interference in the past so that means nothing. Also, remember summer 2006? JER was credited with pretty much that whole summer and he wasn't HW of pretty much most of it. The show is never going to come out with what is really going on. We've heard nothing from Tomlin at all. Higley doesn't talk. Corday talks and that is it. Even if and when they do get rid of Higley, we won't get the whole story but I don't think it's needed. Enough is out there on the surface to know what is really going on.

lysie
Member Avatar

Ellie
^^ Tim - Dena is still credited as the head writer. Now if, as you've been saying, the show is entirely in Tomlin's hands, then why not just fire Dena? I'm curious as to how you'd explain the fact that she's still around.

I do think there's something fishy going on with her. We haven't heard from her in months, and before she wouldn't shut up. If an actor could rewrite her scripts, it wouldn't surprise me if the co-headwriter is doing all the work now and she's somewhere with just a paycheck getting the credit.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

lysie
Jul 28 2009, 12:09 PM
Ellie

I do think there's something fishy going on with her. We haven't heard from her in months, and before she wouldn't shut up. If an actor could rewrite her scripts, it wouldn't surprise me if the co-headwriter is doing all the work now and she's somewhere with just a paycheck getting the credit.
Exactly.

Not to mention you have Tomlin, the co-EP who is also a Guild member. He can step in and write if he wants. Tomlin and Whitesell are best friends. He's usually followed him wherever he's gone. Pretty much everyone expected Whitesell to get the HW's job at some point and he hasn't OFFICIALLY but it's obvious from the campy nature, pacing, and focus and feel of the show that Tomlin and Whitesell are those in control.

daysfan
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 28 2009, 12:16 PM
lysie
Ellie

Exactly.

Not to mention you have Tomlin, the co-EP who is also a Guild member. He can step in and write if he wants. Tomlin and Whitesell are best friends. He's usually followed him wherever he's gone. Pretty much everyone expected Whitesell to get the HW's job at some point and he hasn't OFFICIALLY but it's obvious from the campy nature, pacing, and focus and feel of the show that Tomlin and Whitesell are those in control.
Isn't Tomlin FiCore? He wrote for OLTL during the strike in 2008 I think....but still FiCore writers can legally write and everything(Obviously since most of the HWs on Daytime are FiCore).

Ellie

Tim, just to clarify, my post was not about who's doing the writing. What I'm wondering is, given what you're saying about Tomlin and/or Whitesell doing the writing, why is Dena still around - and credited as head writer, no less. Thanks for the explanation, Tim, though it doesn't make complete sense to me. You're saying that Corday is happy if Dena's in place as head writer, but then you're saying the fact that Corday gives the story interviews and previews shows that Dena's doing nothing. If Corday realizes that Whitesell's writing, because he gives the interviews, then why would it be necessary to keep Dena there for his sake?

Sindacco
Member Avatar

I don't buy that Higley is still on because Corday loves her. I think it's more about money. I mean they had to pay JER for so long and I think they are still paying Sheffer so maybe they just want to wait untill Higley's contract is up this coming fall.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Jul 28 2009, 12:26 PM
Tim, just to clarify, my post was not about who's doing the writing. What I'm wondering is, given what you're saying about Tomlin and/or Whitesell doing the writing, why is Dena still around - and credited as head writer, no less. Thanks for the explanation, Tim, though it doesn't make complete sense to me. You're saying that Corday is happy if Dena's in place as head writer, but then you're saying the fact that Corday gives the story interviews and previews shows that Dena's doing nothing. If Corday realizes that Whitesell's writing, because he gives the interviews, then why would it be necessary to keep Dena there for his sake?

Because his mouthpiece is still in the room.

Let's say the ratings tank and things go bad. Unlike in the past where he personally got involved, he would could just work through Higley because he trusts her. He's happy now with what is going on so he won't do anything because he trusts the direction the show is going in. Tomlin does have a way of influencing Corday but if things ever did go bad, Corday would not let Tomlin stop him from making whatever changes he would want through Higley. So, in essence, Tomlin and Whitesell keep Higley there as their best chance of keeping Corday at bay for as long as possible (and probably because they don't want to take the risk of her causing an uproar by bringing out some of the drama from last year after she is released) and Corday is ok with Tomlin and Whitesell at the moment but feels much better about it having Higley there IF things don't go as hoped.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Jul 28 2009, 12:31 PM
I don't buy that Higley is still on because Corday loves her. I think it's more about money. I mean they had to pay JER for so long and I think they are still paying Sheffer so maybe they just want to wait untill Higley's contract is up this coming fall.
That could be a part of it too, sure.

I'm sure it's a number of factors but if not for the drama of last year and Corday's habit of interference, she would be gone by now even with whatever money they may owe her because it's definitely not anywhere close to the JER contract LOL.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

daysfan
Jul 28 2009, 12:24 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jul 28 2009, 12:16 PM
lysie

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
Exactly.

Isn't Tomlin FiCore? He wrote for OLTL during the strike in 2008 I think....but still FiCore writers can legally write and everything(Obviously since most of the HWs on Daytime are FiCore).
Yep. He is. I think that is one reason why Corday wanted him even more then he did in 2007 before Scott was forced on him. If Tomlin wants to step in and write, he can without much of an issue.

lysie
Member Avatar

Sindacco
That's my guess, too. That and the show really can't afford anymore bad writer press.

It's purely speculation, I just think it's suspicious that the woman hasn't spoken a word, and the last words we heard from her she didn't sound happy with the changes going on.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Hmm...this makes me wonder how long Hogan's contract is?

I started thinking about it, and if Dena has a two year contract like you basically said, then wouldn't Hogan have something similar? And I heard he re-signed after his one year deal in 2007....so maybe that factors into being able to bring on these people too, if he did get a two year contract, and I think Hogan didn't come cheap either.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

daysfan
Jul 28 2009, 01:24 PM
Sindacco
Hmm...this makes me wonder how long Hogan's contract is?

I started thinking about it, and if Dena has a two year contract like you basically said, then wouldn't Hogan have something similar? And I heard he re-signed after his one year deal in 2007....so maybe that factors into being able to bring on these people too, if he did get a two year contract, and I think Hogan didn't come cheap either.
That is an interesting point.

I would assume his contract has ended though.

I think with the rumblings that Days no longer has to pay for JER's contract we can assume where they may have gotten this money from. I mean, it makes sense. JER signed on around May/June of 2003 and we started hearing about all these returns around June so that may be what is helping Days pull this off. I know it's likely those returning agreed to less money but I still don't see Days going through with all these returns under Tomlin, who has really helped the show improve financially.

SaveDaysNow

I don't know about anyone else, but I am just happy that with all these new cast additions. . .it means LESS of Sami, the Queen of Glitter. Thank goodness.

darraholic
Member Avatar

SaveDaysNow
Jul 28 2009, 01:42 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I am just happy that with all these new cast additions. . .it means LESS of Sami, the Queen of Glitter. Thank goodness.
I think we'll still see alot of Sami.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Yeah, that's the brilliance of casting Hartley- who has talent and enough charisma to maintain a following: the show can be less dependent on Sweeney.

As to who's really in charge...to me it doesn't matter. They've wasted promising possibilities for years now, regardless of who gets credit for writing. I can't imagine that pattern will reverse itself.

Still- yay- Vivian is coming back! What of Ivan and his fortune?

Mason
Member Avatar

px780
Jul 28 2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah, that's the brilliance of casting Hartley- who has talent and enough charisma to maintain a following: the show can be less dependent on Sweeney.
I don't think that'll happen. I predict that Arianna will become a more frontburner character once Lindsay's in the role, but I don't think Hartley will have anywhere near the status of Sweeney (or Zucker).
Edited by Mason, Jul 28 2009, 03:43 PM.

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

Love Louise...she is a wonderful actress..I doubt she will get the writing she deserves

lazydazes
Member Avatar

Hellllllllllll yeah! This is what I'm talking about! Can't wait to see old aunt Vivian.

MTSRocks
Member Avatar

Congrats DAYS fan.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply