Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Cover and Preview, 8/11 issue
Topic Started: Jul 28 2009, 11:39 AM (2,452 Views)
Ellie

Credit: SON

Posted Image

LATE-BREAKING NEWS
Maureen Garrett Returns to GL
GH: Who's Staying? Who's Going?
Y&R's Nick Learns That Jack and Sharon are Over
Kendall Confesses on AMC!
OLTL Double Wedding Drama
Trouble for ATWT's "Nuke"
GL: Dinah and Shayne Wed
B&B's Jackie Gets Trapped

HOT PLOTS PREVIEW
AMC: Adam and Annie Get Engaged
ATWT: Paul Bankrolls Emily
GL: Phil to Alan: "I'm Dying."
DOOL: Kate Still Digs Daniel

EDITORS' CHOICE: Double the Pleasure, GL & B&B
PERFORMER OF THE WEEK: Hillary B. Smith (Nora, OLTL)

Y&R spoilage: MJ basically rapes Jack. Slips something into his drink. He thinks she's Sharon. She plays along. She blind folds him and has sex with him on the couch. He passes out, she's happy.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Wow...Y&R...really?

After last week's Deacon/Amber scenes and now this MJ/Jack stuff, this has gone from bordering on Guza's GH to bordering on Passions junk with all the misogyny and "shock and awe" crap. Having MJ do that is the one thing I didn't want to see happen because it just takes things too far. The MJ story was one of the few I was still enjoying just for the sheer entertainment of it. Ugh.

This just isn't Y&R anymore. It's lost it's identity. Identity is not about who is on the show and who isn't. It's all about the feel and style of the show and Y&R has abandoned everything that made Y&R what it was. This has just got utterly disgusting.

I pray Burton leaves GH. The show can never see consistent improvement until certain players are gone and he is one of them.

Interesting Safe stuff. I wonder if we learn more about Rafe's past.

Mason
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 28 2009, 11:50 AM
This just isn't Y&R anymore. It's lost it's identity. Identity is not about who is on the show and who isn't. It's all about the feel and style of the show and Y&R has abandoned everything that made Y&R what it was.
LoL, now you know how many of us feel about DAYS.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

I hope this is nothing like Julia's rape of Jack on ATWT.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Jul 28 2009, 11:51 AM
PhoenixRising05
This just isn't Y&R anymore. It's lost it's identity. Identity is not about who is on the show and who isn't. It's all about the feel and style of the show and Y&R has abandoned everything that made Y&R what it was.
No because I'm still watching. I still find some enjoyment. I'm not complaining left and right (but then again, I'm strange like that LOL). I still give things a chance before they air. I don't like this move and think the show is declining but I'm not going to bash the entire show because that won't do any good. I've heard it numerous times that if TPTB read the boards, they want constructive criticism. They want suggestions and they don't respond well to endless bashing and agendas. It's all about the tone so while I dislike alot that is going on, I make sure to express it in a way that won't turn off TPTB from listening to my opinion.

Also, as I said, so many seem to think Days has changed it's identity and identity has nothing to do with the faces on the show, as I said in my last post. It's all about feel and storytelling and this "shock and awe" and misogyny is not Y&R. It's the furthest thing from it.

Sarah
Member Avatar

RogerNewcomb
Jul 28 2009, 11:55 AM
I hope this is nothing like Julia's rape of Jack on ATWT.
oh that was awefull julia was nudge :o

Mason
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 28 2009, 12:08 PM
Mason
PhoenixRising05
No because I'm still watching.
So anyone who's complaining about DAYS must not be watching?

Quote:

Also, as I said, so many seem to think Days has changed it's identity and identity has nothing to do with the faces on the show

And I agree with that. However, DAYS doesn't feel like the same show to me (regardless of who's on and who's not). Why can't you just accept that people feel the way about DAYS that you do about Y&R? Why does there always have to be some kind of fundamental difference where your opinions about other soaps are valid, but others' opinions about DAYS are not?
Edited by Mason, Jul 28 2009, 12:37 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Jul 28 2009, 12:36 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jul 28 2009, 12:08 PM
Mason

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
No because I'm still watching.
So anyone who's complaining about DAYS must not be watching?

Quote:

Also, as I said, so many seem to think Days has changed it's identity and identity has nothing to do with the faces on the show

And I agree with that. However, DAYS doesn't feel like the same show to me (regardless of who's on and who's not). Why can't you just accept that people feel the way about DAYS that you do about Y&R? Why does there always have to be some kind of fundamental difference where your opinions about other soaps are valid, but others' opinions about DAYS are not?
Now where did I suggest any of that?

All I suggested was that I was different. I'm in the minority. I know that. I don't react to things the same way many on this board do. I never said those that complain don't watch nor did I say my opinions were more valid. All I said was that I've heard it's better to not resort to bashing things to get your opinion heard by TPTB. Did I say people couldn't bash or complain the way they want to? No. If people want to do it, go right ahead. I'm just going to continue going about things the way I do. I was speaking from my perspective because you made the comment that the way I feel about Y&R is the way I feel about Days and I responded because that is simply not the case.

Am I down on Y&R? Yes. Do I feel it's not what it should be? Yes. But I haven't reacted anywhere close to the way many have with Days. Plus, you know I don't quite understand the view that Days no longer feels like Days to many. I still don't see that nor will I ever but that is JMO. That is why I took issue with you saying my Y&R view was similar to the view many have in regards to Days.

I still find enjoyment in Y&R and I don't think the show is in dire straights. It just has problems that seem to be getting worse.

Mason
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 28 2009, 12:44 PM
That is why I took issue with you saying my Y&R view was similar to the view many have in regards to Days.
I was simply pointing out that what you said about Y&R was almost identical to what many of us have been saying about DAYS. That's all. And it was mostly just in a teasing manner, more than serious. I didn't mean that you felt exactly the same way. Sheesh...
Edited by Mason, Jul 28 2009, 12:49 PM.

lastDays
Member Avatar

" Kate still digs Daniel"Where the hell are the writers going with this?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Jul 28 2009, 12:48 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jul 28 2009, 12:44 PM
That is why I took issue with you saying my Y&R view was similar to the view many have in regards to Days.
I was simply pointing out that what you said about Y&R was almost identical to what many of us have been saying about DAYS. That's all. I didn't mean that you felt exactly the same way. Sheesh...
That's fine but it's not really how I felt and that was where the problem lied LOL.

I didn't mean to get confrontational so no offense intended. I'm just a little angry working in an office where the AC is broken during one of our hottest days of the year :laugh: .

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

lastDays
Jul 28 2009, 12:49 PM
I don't know. Maybe it's to set up her confessing after Chloe has the amnesia we all assume is likely coming so she can't corroborate Daniel's story that they were going to run off together. Maybe Kate supposedly couldn't stand to see Daniel going to prison. I don't know, I feel like if that's what they were going to do they should have set it up better, but then I could say that about almost everything.

lastDays
Member Avatar

Paxton
Jul 28 2009, 12:59 PM
lastDays
Jul 28 2009, 12:49 PM
I don't know. Maybe it's to set up her confessing after Chloe has the amnesia we all assume is likely coming so she can't corroborate Daniel's story that they were going to run off together. Maybe Kate supposedly couldn't stand to see Daniel going to prison. I don't know, I feel like if that's what they were going to do they should have set it up better, but then I could say that about almost everything.
I think Vic is going to get Daniel out of jail,but its clear he does not want Kate to pay for what she did to Chloe.Vic may keep Daniel from going after Kate as the price for saving him from prison. Something else may be going on with this spoiler.I can see Lucas poisoning CHloe's amnesiactic mind against Daniel so it sounds like there will be a long pause in that coupling.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

The Kate/Daniel thing makes me scratch my head too. Daniel mentioned it alot the past week how Kate's jealousy and pain drove her actions too and that was something that the show only mentioned once since Kate learned the truth and that was in the Daniel/Kate pier scenes back in May. Other then that, they never really focused on he Kate/Daniel part of the story even thought it was implied. That is why I was never so outraged over the writers going this far with Kate because not only did Chloe and Daniel hurt and betray Lucas but they hurt and betrayed her and all that just pushed her over the edge.

I've always felt that if they got Kate out of it, it was going to somehow relate to the drugs she took during treatment. Kind of like Gwen on Passions and what happened with Vivian and the herbs in 1993.

mbdimera
Member Avatar

They should have played out the Kate/Daniel/Chloe stuff as Kate wanting Chloe out of the way so she could have Daniel for herself. Even though that would have left Lucas even more out of the storyline than he is now, it would have made more sense IMO. Her killing Lucas' wife to supposedly spare him the pain of the affair is just stupid.

Although now that the storyline is moving, I am enjoying it. It's the only thing on the show holding my interest at the moment.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

mbdimera
Jul 28 2009, 01:20 PM
They should have played out the Kate/Daniel/Chloe stuff as Kate wanting Chloe out of the way so she could have Daniel for herself. Even though that would have left Lucas even more out of the storyline than he is now, it would have made more sense IMO. Her killing Lucas' wife to supposedly spare him the pain of the affair is just stupid.

Although now that the storyline is moving, I am enjoying it. It's the only thing on the show holding my interest at the moment.
To me, that would be worse because Kate would never go that far for any man. She is more likely to be driven by revenge or feelings for her children then any feelings she has for a man.

I think the way it turned out is ok but I do wish they had done more to build up the Kate/Daniel aspect. They did a little but it needed a bit more rather then just basically implying it and only specifically mentioning it a few times. The brief hiatus this story took in May when Kate left town to see Billie for awhile really hurt this story. While I understand Kate having to go because it would look awful if she didn't visit her hospitalized daughter, that time could've been spent on helping the story along. Then again, they still had ample time to work on it so it still could've been done.

Regardless, it's gotten alot more entertaining now with everything finally moving. I did like seeing how Kate put everything together and orchestrated everything. Too often on soaps we don't get that kind of attention to detail anymore so it was nice IMO.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
This just isn't Y&R anymore. It's lost it's identity. Identity is not about who is on the show and who isn't. It's all about the feel and style of the show and Y&R has abandoned everything that made Y&R what it was. This has just got utterly disgusting.
I'm surprised you don't just say it's "evolving," LoL.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

PhoenixRising05
Wow...Y&R...really?

After last week's Deacon/Amber scenes and now this MJ/Jack stuff, this has gone from bordering on Guza's GH to bordering on Passions junk with all the misogyny and "shock and awe" crap. Having MJ do that is the one thing I didn't want to see happen because it just takes things too far. The MJ story was one of the few I was still enjoying just for the sheer entertainment of it. Ugh.

Yet when DAYS does this kind of stuff it's perfectly OK :laugh:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Jul 28 2009, 01:55 PM
PhoenixRising05
I'm surprised you don't just say it's "evolving," LoL.
I would if there was a cast changeover or some sort of plan in place. There just doesn't seem to be a plan. It seems to be all about one stunt or "shock and awe" tactic after another.

It just sucks that they took this route with MJ because now it's just way too over the top and having her go way too far, especially on the heels of Deacon/Amber last week. It's just too much and it's going to kill their demos because women will not want to tune in for this kind of stuff. Y&R is still the one show that I think the ratings still respond to in terms of quality one way or the other and I think this could hurt the show.

I just hope they don't screw up the Adam/Victor stuff because even thought the Ashley gaslighting stuff has some holes, it's still the one story I feel that works and that is actually going somewhere. It seems to still have a direction. I just hope that doesn't get botched.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

R!ck
Jul 28 2009, 02:00 PM
PhoenixRising05
Wow...Y&R...really?

Yet when DAYS does this kind of stuff it's perfectly OK :laugh:

I actually called out Days the last time they did this stuff consistently...which was in 2004/2005 under JER. I hate shock and awe tactics and all the misogyny. It's what ultimately turned me off to Passions in it's last few years, hence why I complained about it on the boards in it's later years.

I would much prefer Y&R completely changeover it's cast like Days then this this kind of stuff.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply