Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD and SOW: Kate still digs Daniel!; August 11th issues; Summary of Articles
Topic Started: Jul 29 2009, 11:14 AM (2,982 Views)
heartsaver

The current regime at Days has done a lot of things wrong but nothing is worse than the way they have destroyed the character of Kate. I don't even recognize her anymore. It's bad enough that she's psychotic but now she's being portrayed as being hung up on Daniel. The real Kate would never have any lingering feelings for him after she found out about him and Chloe.

A couple of other points. Why is Kate living at the Kiriakis mansion? It made sense for her to stay there when she was recovering from her chemotherapy but she's been fully recovered for months. She has plenty of money and can afford a nice place of her own. She has always been an independent woman and it's ridiculous for her to be staying at Victor's.

Also, where in the heck is Roman in all of this? Kate and Roman have always had a unique relationship in that he brought out her good side and he always had a soft spot for her despite her sins. But they have had about twenty seconds of screen time together over the last year. Even if the writers don't want to reunite them they should still have them interact. After all, Roman is a cop and it would be interesting to see him involved in the investigation of Chloe's poisoning. it would be a chance to bring some of Kate's history into this crappy storyline.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I see no point to go back to this. I get that Kate's still not over the fact that Daniel took their break up so smoothly because he had Chloe, and I get that Kate would be pissed about that. However, I really don't want to see Kate pining over the man that's partially responsible for breaking her baby's heart. I don't believe Kate would do that. Lucas is her world and she would cross off anyone that hurt him, including Daniel.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

fenderbabe
Jul 29 2009, 01:15 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jul 29 2009, 11:44 AM
That breakup scene with Kate and Daniel did have a feeling of Kate not wanting to do it but feeling as though it was best at the time for her and for Daniel. Daniel seemed distracted and Kate had no sex drive and felt that her cancer could return at any moment so she cut him loose. As I said, I just wish the element was played more because it was there and was implied at times thanks to the actor's performances and one scene where they actually came out and mentioned it. Now, it's become a major plot point again as it should be.
The break-up came out of nowhere but eventually made sense when it was fully explained by Kate. By the time she was ready to get back together with Daniel (10 seconds after she found out she was in remission), he'd already slept with Chloe. In fact, Daniel had sex with Chloe the morning after Kate broke up with him, so there you go. Less than 24 hours and he was riding someone else. I felt bad for Kate, and I can understand why finding that out would hurt... even if she was the dumper and not the dumpee. When someone moves on THAT fast after such an intense relationship... it hurts. So, yes, I can understand why she'd feel like there was no closure to that relationship.

HOWEVER, I don't see why Kate would still be sexually invested in Daniel. Emotionally attached? Yeah, I could accept that considering how involved he was in making sure she survived... but still sexually invested? HELL NO. Forget all the icky things she's done in the past... the nasty sight of Daniel macking on Chelsea made Kate pass right the fuck out. The thought of him banging Chloe while Lucas sat at home shouldn't be any different. How could she still look at him and be attracted? ESPECIALLY after Daniel arrogantly stated to Kate that he didn't give a damn about how his affair with Chloe was going to affect Lucas. Kate's never been attracted to a man who's hurt her family to the degree Daniel has... and I'm sorry, it IS out of character for her to be going after Chloe this intently because of a lingering attraction to "her" man. To me, it's just more proof that the writers have an obessesion with Daniel. It's bullshit, actually. Thank God LK is as good of an actress as she is... because this material has totally ruined Kate.
I get what your saying but I think your missing the fact that it's not just about the feelings she still has for Daniel. It's about being made to look like a fool. She went out of her way to praise both Chloe and Daniel. She accepted Chloe. She opened her heart to Daniel and put her relationship with Chelsea on the line to be with him. Then they both stabbed her and her son in the back. Add in the history she already had with breaking Philip's heart and how vulnerable Kate was coming off of cancer treatment and it's recipe for her going over the edge. Kate is not one who likes being made a fool of and she's also hurt. Just because Daniel did something with Chloe does not mean the feelings go away either. She went through some heavy stuff with Daniel. Let's remember Kate has slept with and had feelings for two men her daughter, Billie, dated (Nicholas, Roman) and had no problem going after Daniel when her own granddaughter was with him. Kate's a screwed up character, The whole Roberts family is screwed up. It's not unrealistic for her to still have feelings for Daniel and be attracted to him despite everything. I don't see it as her longing for him or necessarily wanting to be with him again. She just still has feelings for him and deep down I think she cares about him. She's made her own mistakes, especially with infidelity as Victor noted today. I think it's just the emotions and pain that is driving her and I think sooner or later she will realize she just lost control of things because of her vengeful acts, just like she did after what happened in 2001.

The character of Kate has had poor writing for her for eons. Her crimes are consistently slept under the rug and most times all she ever does is interfere in Lucas' life. At least this regime seems to stick with a consistent direction and at least gives her some motivation beyond just doing things for her son. This is personal for her. To me, this is no worse then 2000-2001 when Kate went completely nuts and turned on Victor and helped orchestrate the coronation massacre. She came back from that and she will most likely come back from this.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jul 29 2009, 02:46 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 29 2009, 02:44 PM
The character of Kate has had poor writing for her for eons.
As bad as the writing for Kate has been in the past, at least she was never written as being pathetic like she is now. That's one thing that Kate Roberts is NOT.
Edited by Mason, Jul 29 2009, 02:48 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Jul 29 2009, 02:47 PM
PhoenixRising05
As bad as the writing for Kate has been in the past, at least she was never written as being pathetic like she is now. That's one thing that Kate Roberts is NOT.
The fact that she has done pretty much nothing else for the past decade but interfere in her childrens' lives is not pathetic? Ok...

Even her romance with Roman was flawed because they chose to slide all of her crimes under the rug. All Kate is to every writer since Langan is a meddling mother and maybe once in awhile she gets tossed a romance bone but usually that doesn't last long. The writing for her has been pathetic before this regime and has been since JER left the first time pretty much. I will give Langan and Tomlin/Whitesell credit. They at least make it about more then just her doing this for her children. They make it personal for her too.

It's no coincidence, also, that the two times Kate has resorted to extreme measures like murder it's been under Whitesell's pen. He wrote in 2001 when she went vengeful psycho the first time and here he is writing now.

Mason
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 29 2009, 02:54 PM
Mason
PhoenixRising05
The fact that she has done pretty much nothing else for the past decade but interfere in her childrens' lives is not pathetic? Ok...
That was shit too, but at least that was true to her character.
Edited by Mason, Jul 29 2009, 02:57 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Jul 29 2009, 02:55 PM
PhoenixRising05
Mason

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
That was shit too, but at least that was true to her character.
It's all she became about for nearly a decade, with the exception of the Roman and John stuff. That is an issue in and of itself.

I don't think this is out of character at all but whatever.

heartsaver

PhoenixRising05
Mason
PhoenixRising05

Even her romance with Roman was flawed because they chose to slide all of her crimes under the rug. All Kate is to every writer since Langan is a meddling mother and maybe once in awhile she gets tossed a romance bone but usually that doesn't last long. The writing for her has been pathetic before this regime and has been since JER left the first time pretty much. I will give Langan and Tomlin/Whitesell credit. They at least make it about more then just her doing this for her children. They make it personal for her too.

It's no coincidence, also, that the two times Kate has resorted to extreme measures like murder it's been under Whitesell's pen. He wrote in 2001 when she went vengeful psycho the first time and here he is writing now.
Kate does not pine after men who hurt her family or who have no interest in her. To write her in any other way indicates that Tomlin and Co. do not understand the character or simply don't care. She has never been written worse than she has been under Tomlin's regime.

Mason
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 29 2009, 02:58 PM
Bullshit it's not out of character! Kate would never act this way because of a man.

Sariah
Member Avatar

WTF are they doing to Kate? This is so ridiculous!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Jul 29 2009, 03:00 PM
PhoenixRising05
Bullshit it's not out of character! Kate would never act this way because of a man.
As I said, it's not so much about Daniel as it is that he and Chloe made a fool out of her and not only betrayed and hurt her but hurt Lucas too. Pining means she still longs to be with him. I don't see that as the case. I think she still has feelings for him and is attracted to him. That won't go away when you've spent more time being angry and vengeful instead of processing what happened and dealing with it. She went through some heavy stuff with Daniel. It will take time.

I've made my view known. I think many are not seeing all the angles to this and just assume it's as black and white as her still wanting to be with Daniel when that is not the case. Having feelings for someone and still being attracted to them is not the same as longing to still be with them. I see none of that in this article or on the show.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

STUPID.

Mason
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 29 2009, 03:08 PM
I think many are not seeing all the angles to this and just assume it's as black and white as her still wanting to be with Daniel when that is not the case.
So basically we're a bunch of idiots? LoL, good to know.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Jul 29 2009, 03:10 PM
PhoenixRising05
I think many are not seeing all the angles to this and just assume it's as black and white as her still wanting to be with Daniel when that is not the case.
Why do you always have to get defensive? You always make some claim that I'm trying to be insulting or degrading to someone. Can't you ever debate and discuss without resorting to that kind of crap?

I just think people hate the storyline so much that it's a possibility they aren't noticing some of the layers that are there. That doesn't mean people are idiots. You don't have to be stupid to not see something. That is what boards like this are for. We debate and discuss and sometimes have our eyes opened to things we have not seen.

I would appreciate it if you stop putting words in my mouth because all I was doing was participating in a discussion. If you have a problem with the way I post or think I'm being disrespectful in any way to anyone, send me a PM. Otherwise, I'm done.

Mason
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 29 2009, 03:16 PM
Why do you always have to get defensive?
Don't patronize me and I won't get defensive.

fenderbabe
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
fenderbabe
Jul 29 2009, 01:15 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jul 29 2009, 11:44 AM
That breakup scene with Kate and Daniel did have a feeling of Kate not wanting to do it but feeling as though it was best at the time for her and for Daniel. Daniel seemed distracted and Kate had no sex drive and felt that her cancer could return at any moment so she cut him loose. As I said, I just wish the element was played more because it was there and was implied at times thanks to the actor's performances and one scene where they actually came out and mentioned it. Now, it's become a major plot point again as it should be.
The break-up came out of nowhere but eventually made sense when it was fully explained by Kate. By the time she was ready to get back together with Daniel (10 seconds after she found out she was in remission), he'd already slept with Chloe. In fact, Daniel had sex with Chloe the morning after Kate broke up with him, so there you go. Less than 24 hours and he was riding someone else. I felt bad for Kate, and I can understand why finding that out would hurt... even if she was the dumper and not the dumpee. When someone moves on THAT fast after such an intense relationship... it hurts. So, yes, I can understand why she'd feel like there was no closure to that relationship.

HOWEVER, I don't see why Kate would still be sexually invested in Daniel. Emotionally attached? Yeah, I could accept that considering how involved he was in making sure she survived... but still sexually invested? HELL NO. Forget all the icky things she's done in the past... the nasty sight of Daniel macking on Chelsea made Kate pass right the fuck out. The thought of him banging Chloe while Lucas sat at home shouldn't be any different. How could she still look at him and be attracted? ESPECIALLY after Daniel arrogantly stated to Kate that he didn't give a damn about how his affair with Chloe was going to affect Lucas. Kate's never been attracted to a man who's hurt her family to the degree Daniel has... and I'm sorry, it IS out of character for her to be going after Chloe this intently because of a lingering attraction to "her" man. To me, it's just more proof that the writers have an obessesion with Daniel. It's bullshit, actually. Thank God LK is as good of an actress as she is... because this material has totally ruined Kate.
I get what your saying but I think your missing the fact that it's not just about the feelings she still has for Daniel. It's about being made to look like a fool. She went out of her way to praise both Chloe and Daniel. She accepted Chloe. She opened her heart to Daniel and put her relationship with Chelsea on the line to be with him. Then they both stabbed her and her son in the back. Add in the history she already had with breaking Philip's heart and how vulnerable Kate was coming off of cancer treatment and it's recipe for her going over the edge. Kate is not one who likes being made a fool of and she's also hurt. Just because Daniel did something with Chloe does not mean the feelings go away either. She went through some heavy stuff with Daniel. Let's remember Kate has slept with and had feelings for two men her daughter, Billie, dated (Nicholas, Roman) and had no problem going after Daniel when her own granddaughter was with him. Kate's a screwed up character, The whole Roberts family is screwed up. It's not unrealistic for her to still have feelings for Daniel and be attracted to him despite everything. I don't see it as her longing for him or necessarily wanting to be with him again. She just still has feelings for him and deep down I think she cares about him. She's made her own mistakes, especially with infidelity as Victor noted today. I think it's just the emotions and pain that is driving her and I think sooner or later she will realize she just lost control of things because of her vengeful acts, just like she did after what happened in 2001.

The character of Kate has had poor writing for her for eons. Her crimes are consistently slept under the rug and most times all she ever does is interfere in Lucas' life. At least this regime seems to stick with a consistent direction and at least gives her some motivation beyond just doing things for her son. This is personal for her. To me, this is no worse then 2000-2001 when Kate went completely nuts and turned on Victor and helped orchestrate the coronation massacre. She came back from that and she will most likely come back from this.
I'm not missing anything. I get why Kate's furious. I am by no means happy with her truly insane antics this time around, but I get why she's hurt overall. What I'm trying to say is this is THE WORST thing Kate's character has suffered from in a long time, if not the worst. I've prided myself on the fact that I loved Kate because she never let men influence her life to the point where'd she'd fight or scheme to "win" them, or even ruin their relationships with rival woman. She's never had to convince a man to love her when he didn't. I realize you don't think that's what's going on, but it's dangerously close to that if you ask me. It's pretty obvious with Daniel emphasizing how he only "loves" Chloe. Now we have Kate fantasing about Daniel in the most disgusting and innapropriate manner... all for what? She must be on drugs... like, hardcore drugs, because this is ridiculous. Kate's motivation should have just stayed centered around her anger over Chloe cheating on Lucas, and of course her own personal heartache with Daniel. There's no reason for her to NOW want to fuck Daniel. I mean, come on, who the hell thinks I want to see this guy makeout with everyone? I don't. I don't think Daniel is a desireable guy, and I don't see why Kate would still want ANYTHING to do with him, especially sexually.

The only evidence I can offer you that this storyline is in fact murdering Kate's character is that I've turned on her myself. I've always been able to defend Kate and stick by her side... but this time I just can't. If Kate tried to murder Chloe for the sake of Lucas, fine, whatever, but if Kate tried to murder Chloe for the small hope that she could get back with Daniel...well, then FUCK THIS SHOW TO HELL.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Jul 29 2009, 03:18 PM
PhoenixRising05
Why do you always have to get defensive?
Don't patronize me and I won't get defensive.
And where was I doing that?

You know what? Never mind. I'm out.

fenderbabe
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Mason
Jul 29 2009, 03:00 PM
PhoenixRising05
As I said, it's not so much about Daniel as it is that he and Chloe made a fool out of her and not only betrayed and hurt her but hurt Lucas too. Pining means she still longs to be with him. I don't see that as the case. I think she still has feelings for him and is attracted to him. That won't go away when you've spent more time being angry and vengeful instead of processing what happened and dealing with it. She went through some heavy stuff with Daniel. It will take time.

I've made my view known. I think many are not seeing all the angles to this and just assume it's as black and white as her still wanting to be with Daniel when that is not the case. Having feelings for someone and still being attracted to them is not the same as longing to still be with them. I see none of that in this article or on the show.
I just don't think that's the "view" the show is going for, it's certainly doesn't sound that way from the artical. What else could be the intent of the writers to show Kate obviously still longing for Daniel in such a dirty, seuxal way? They WANT us to believe she wants him back again, that she's still "digs" him despite trying to frame him. It's sick and twisted, and not in an entertaining way... more in the 'Who the hell is this bitch I want to stab my tv with cutting sheers' way.

I mean, even LAUREN can't defend this shit... and that's something she's always been able to do. Every time I've come across her explaining her character, it's clear she tries to keep Kate's integrity in tact.... and this is the first time I've ever read her basically say "Eh, I can't defend this shit." LOL. I don't blame her.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

So what they are doing now, instead of making Kate poisoning Chloe and framing Daniel be about her beloved Lucas' cuckolding, it's actually about Kate having the hots for Daniel? Um, sorry, cannot agree with those that say this is to give Kate further motivations or help redeem her (how does it redeem her? Doesn't it make it even worse that she would be doing this because of jealousy and ignoring what it's doing to her SON?) I think this just says they think we're right on the message boards, we've been sayng it makes no sense for Kate to "protect" her son from finding out about the affair so she decides to slowly poison his wife instead. So now it's not about that anymore, it's about Kate having fantasies on her ex boyfriend and is jealous! TOTALLY DIFFERENT!

I liked/loved Kate in spite of her Sami obsession "stay away from my Lucas" obsession. I wanted the character to be more! This is not what I had in mind, and because I've watched my favorite character wind up going to jail over a crime he committed while actually being addicted to medications, I'm forced to wish they at least hold Kate responsible since she's done so much in the past and she just can't walk away from this. (My peace of mind is maybe LK can get a job she deserves. She's too good for this show).

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Mason
Jul 29 2009, 03:10 PM
PhoenixRising05
Why do you always have to get defensive? You always make some claim that I'm trying to be insulting or degrading to someone. Can't you ever debate and discuss without resorting to that kind of crap?
Actually, I think Mason has a point. You basically said that the reason people don't like this story is because they're making assumptions and "not seeing all the angles." That's kind of a patronizing comment. While you might not mean it this way, it basically sounds like you're saying, "The reason you don't like this story is because you don't understand it the way I do."

Your statement gave off sort of a patronizing implication, even if you didn't mean it that way. People don't like being told that they're basically too stupid to understand a story, LoL. If you had simply said that you liked the Kate/Daniel thing for this reason or that reason, I don't think it would've been an issue. But you tossed in the extra tidbit of people "making assumptions" and "not seeing all the angles" (the way you see them) and it did sound kind of patronizing -- even if you didn't mean it that way. JMO.

By the way, I'm really not trying to hang you out to dry for this. I've made similar comments in the past that came off as patronizing, so I'm not claiming perfection, LoL. It's just that some things don't always come off the way we intend when we're communicating via the internet.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply