Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: A Closer Look: Mia; August 11th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Jul 29 2009, 11:27 AM (1,551 Views)
sungrey

esp13
Jul 29 2009, 12:37 PM
I must have gotten old and crotchety somewhere along the way because I remember when Jennifer's virginity was an issue for her and Glenn and then her and Frankie and I was at least mildly interested in that storyline 20+ years ago. But, this whole thing just makes me giggle. Of course, the fact that I find none of the teens to be particularly decent actors or remotely compelling characters probably doesn't help matters much.
They devoted about 10-15 minutes in one episode to a talk between Alice and Jennifer about the first time and how special it could be. That was one of the best scenes in a long time back then, simply because of Alice's involvement.

I happen to think Will and Mia have cha-razz-ma. They're not the best couple Days has seen in ages, but I've seen much worse. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

I'm glad you like them.

I don't remember that particular scene with Alice and Jennifer, but I'm sure it was well done. I'm also sure that 20+ years ago, the whole thing was something I could relate to a whole lot better.

heidi
Member Avatar

esp13
Jul 29 2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I'm sure that the age thing is part of it. While the other storylines don't have particular relevance to my life, they at least involve emotions I can allegedly relate to. The fear about my maybe boyfriend finding out I'm not a virgin isn't one I can relate to in any way at this point in my life. I suppose the whole thing was more relevant to me 20+ years ago. Although, even then I thought the whole obsession with the virgin girlfriend was overplayed.
These aren't issues I worry about in my life either, or find very interesting. But, for the show to have any chance of surviving, they have to find new, young audience members, and that means new, young cast members. Remember, Lucas and Sami started out as teens conspiring to break up Carrie and Austin. Now look at all the Lumi banners!

esp13
Member Avatar

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it necessarily. However, when I was a teenager watching Days, it was not Jennifer and Frankie and the teen storyline that kept me riveted. It was Steve and Kayla primarily, with RoJohn and Marlena (and then RoJohn and Diana) and Mike and Robin, and Shane and Kim and those stories that interested me far more. I know I wasn't the only teenager that felt that way. I have no reason to believe that today's teenagers are all that different. So, I don't tend to believe that the teen storylines bring in younger viewers as much as people assume they do.

Dorothy595
Member Avatar

I'm sorry but this sounds like a rehash of Lucas and Sami trying to break up Austin and Carrie only this time it's Kinsey and Chad working together. :sleep:
Edited by Dorothy595, Jul 30 2009, 10:51 PM.

bellebelle

mbdimera
Jul 29 2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks Ellie.

It's been more years than I care to count since I was a teenager, but even back in my time I don't remember it being shocking that a 16-year-old was no longer a virgin. :shrug:
riiight! i think it was more like a shock if you were lol. and wasnt will talking about the girls in the swiss mountains or something. id figure his lil judgemental butt isnt a virgin either. and since his mom had him at around 16 i would think that he wouldnt be as likely to judge another person on that.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply