Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Insider Blog: The Emmy-nominated Makeup Team
Topic Started: Jul 30 2009, 11:11 PM (534 Views)
Ellie

http://blog.nbc.com/days_production/2009/07/road_to_the_emmys_pt1.php

Posted Image

Road to the Emmys - Pt.1 July 30, 06:36 PM

With the Daytime Emmys only weeks away, I wanted to introduce the fans to the nominees from the show that you don't see every day on your television screens.

To kick off my Road to the Emmys blog feature: the Emmy-nominated makeup team from the show. I can't imagine how the makeup team can make all these beautiful actors even more beautiful, but they manage to do it. Besides that, they also manage to make actors look like they've been shot, in a plane crash, and beat up, just to name a few.

How did you first find out you were nominated for Outstanding Achievement in Makeup for a Drama Series?

Deidre Decker:
I was working on "The Biggest Loser" and Alison Sweeney got a phone call informing her of all the nominees. She immediately told me the great news of my nomination and the entire crew was very congratulatory.

How did you start your career on "Days of our Lives?"

Glen Alen Gutierrez:
One day I got an exciting call from the head of makeup and hair for "Days of our Lives," Gail Hopkins. She said they needed help with the makeup for extras that were going to be in a Halloween party scene. I made up a glittery fairy, a sultry geisha girl and a shimmering genie. It was a very fun introduction into the world of daytime drama.

How long have you been working in makeup? Any inspirations?

Joleen Rizzo:
Do I dare say it's been 29 years!?! Where has the time gone?! I get inspired almost every day. The beauty of makeup is that it is always changing. There are new products always coming out and there really are no rules. There's always something new to learn, which makes our job pretty fun and exciting.

Any particular stories that stick out among your greatest achievements in makeup that you care to share?

Gail Hopkins:
I have been so lucky and honored to work with some of the most talented makeup artists and hair stylists during my 25 years (15 years as department head) at "Days of our Lives." I feel this is my greatest achievement, to be able to say I learned from the best. Those who have shared their fabulous talent include, Keith Crary, Lucia Bianca, Corina Duran, Ed French, and Richard Snell. Last year, our hairstylists Margie Puga and Matthew Holman and their team won the Emmy and I thought that was a great achievement for all their talent and hard work. Being able to see Margie and Matthew take home that Emmy was a wonderful experience, and I would love to see our talented makeup team win this year for all of their hard work.

Care to share any amusing stories involving the cast?

Nina Wells-Orme:
On one quiet morning in the makeup room, all of a sudden something rolled across the room and it was a fake eyeball! We all screamed, the actor grabbed the eyeball and popped it back in his eye socket. He said we thought he knew he had only one eye, but how the heck would we have known! Wow!

They seem like such a fun crew. Let's all wish them the best of luck this year at the Daytime Emmys for of the wonderful work they do to bring out the best in your favorites from "Days of our Lives." Make sure to check back for more of my interviews from the talented crew of your favorite daytime drama.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

How did I miss this? So these are the people responsible for setting the makeup gun to "whore."

And who had a fake eye? A real one, right?

Thanks for posting, Ellie!

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

^Lmao! No kidding! They need to lay off the orange glo tanning cream, too.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply