Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Summary: Hartley joins Days!; August 18th issue
Topic Started: Aug 5 2009, 11:14 AM (2,274 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOD features interviews with Ken Corday and Lindsay Hartley regarding the recast of "Arianna" on Days.

The article begins with a quote from Corday explaining the reason for the recast. Corday says, "You cast sometimes with all great intentions and hopes, and none of us are perfect, or sometimes there are other alternatives which appear later which are more efficient and in this case, all of the above applied." Corday continues that "Felisha did her very best work", but "we turned around and realized, 'There's a chance to cast upwards here.'"

Corday says the decision was at his suggestion, and things were settled 24 hours after the decision was made.

Hartley says she had a "quick, lovely meeting" with Gary Tomlin, and two days later she was on the show. Hartley says "the circumstances aren't the best in the world", because while it's a "wonderful feeling for the person coming in", she knows it must be a "horrible feeling" for the person being replaced. She says she met Felisha, who seems like a "lovely person", "and Eric [Martsolf] says nothing but fabulous things about her."

Hartley says the timing is perfect for her, as her daughter starts kindergarten this fall, and Hartley's husband works in Vancouver. She'd been wondering what she was going to do to fill the empty time she'd have on her hands.

Regarding Hartley's working with her former Passions castmates, SOD says Hartley is "thrilled". She says she told Tomlin that she'd just had dinner with Eric and his family, and Tomlin said to her, 'The kicker is you're playing Galen's sister.'" Hartley says that she was able to work with both Galen and Eric her first day on the set, which "makes things a lot easier and a lot more relaxed." She concludes by saying, "I am just so happy and honored and very excited. I can't express it enough."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie.

I still don't get what was so bad about FT that they felt the character needed to be recast. There are certainly worse actors on this show, not to mention couples with less chemistry that Brady/Arianna.

lysie
Member Avatar

Thanks, Ellie.

I can only think of one word to describe Corday after reading that (and everything else he has said...), and it's a word I don't use. I'm sure someone else will later, though. He has really destroyed that cast family illusion he put out there for so long.

I'm still pissed about this, and I don't even care about these characters.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Seriously...can nobody put a gag on Corday's mouth? What an ass!

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Corday is a douche!

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Aug 5 2009, 11:14 AM
The article begins with a quote from Corday explaining the reason for the recast. Corday says, "You cast sometimes with all great intentions and hopes, and none of us are perfect, or sometimes there are other alternatives which appear later which are more efficient and in this case, all of the above applied." Corday continues that "Felisha did her very best work", but "we turned around and realized, 'There's a chance to cast upwards here.'"

More efficient? I confess I don't see how Lindsay is more "efficient" than Felisha. And was that a not-so-subtle swipe at the casting director too?

Say what you will about Ken, his quotes do inspire conversation, lol!

Thanks for posting, Ellie!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I don't think it'd a swipe at the casting director. More efficient seems to imply that Terrell was holding back production, which is understandable. Days is sometimes filming two episodes a day. The filming schedule is alot faster then it used to be and they don't really allow time for too many takes. There is alot of dialogue to be learned and Terrell didn't really have much acting experience, if any. She was a former model and I think that kind of exposes the problem. It wasn't obvious early on because Arianna was not on much but since late May she's been featured more and more so not only could they see the chemistry was not there but they probably realized she couldn't cut it and made the decision to recast.

I just think Corday could've said it all so much better but the fact that he said it all the way he did almost makes me think he and the actress did not get along. Again, merely speculation but Corday, while an asshole, doesn't just go off on newcomers like that. Hell, he hardly speaks on the subject of newcomers to the show. I know Corday seems out of the mix at Days but I'm sure he still comes to the studio and I just can see signs that he and Terrell had a falling out in this interview. He just seemed on a mission to get rid of her and, while there seems to be production reasons to do that, his comments suggest it had a bit more to it then that IMO.

I feel bad for Lindsey though because she is in an awkward position but I'm happy to have her because she will add spark to the role. After seeing Terrell try to place the scenes during yesterday's episode, I probably would've recasted. She was just so lifeless. She's been ok so far but lately she's just showed how limited she is while getting more material so I think Days made the right move.

lysie
Member Avatar

Paxton
Aug 5 2009, 11:32 AM
Ellie
Aug 5 2009, 11:14 AM

More efficient? I confess I don't see how Lindsay is more "efficient" than Felisha. And was that a not-so-subtle swipe at the casting director too?

Say what you will about Ken, his quotes do inspire conversation, lol!

Thanks for posting, Ellie!
They also distract from the crappy stories...I'm starting to think it might be intentional.

doolcrazy
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting this for us. Again it is all about the fan base and upward movement and sadly Felicia was thrown under the bus. I was enjoying her as Arianna and am saddened to see her so brutally replaced. I'm sure TPTB could have still brought Lindsay on board in another capacity but no they had to have her in this roll. I just get so angry with Corday and his asinine actions. Why doesn't he just go play golf and quit making a mess of things?

Mason
Member Avatar

Granted, I am not a fan of Felisha Terrell's, and I don't think she's a particularly good actress...still, you just don't say shitty douchebaggy things like that. That was uncalled for, but then, what else would you expect from this dumbass?

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I don't think this casting had anything to do with Terrell's acting abilities. She was brought on as Arianna for Max and as a replacement for Chelsea. I'm sure Terrell screen tested with Darin Brooks. Unfortunately, Brooks left as Max and Arianna was unevenly matched with Brady. There was no chemistry between Terrell and Martsolf, despite what some people on here thought. Corday and Tomlin had to have noticed and when it apparent that Brady and Arianna would be the end game couple, maybe because of Arianne Zucker's upcoming maternity departure and that would stop any Brady and Nicole pairing, they decided to go along with Hartley, given her past with acting oppostie both Martsolf and Gering. It'll be interesting to see if lightening strikes twice like DAYS is hoping happens. I have my doubts.

But I think it's ridiculous that some of the same posters that used to praise Terrell and talk about how she's decent, now all of a sudden claim she's lacking talent or holding up production. Where was all of this speculation just a few weeks ago before Hartley's news broke? There was none.

I'll miss Terrell. She was a good actress, but was just in a sucky role with a sucky pairing. Hopefully Hartley will come onto the show and give something to the Brady and Arianna pairing, and that'll probably be it, because I doubt the writing for Arianna will change and she'll still be a boring character played by a different actress. It's the pairing of Brady and Arianna that will make the character interesting, not the actress.
Edited by DrewHamilton, Aug 5 2009, 12:32 PM.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Fans talk about the actors all the time but when Corday does it he gets bashed. I seriously think that no matter what Corday say or do he will get bashed.

Mason
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Aug 5 2009, 12:31 PM
Fans talk about the actors all the time but when Corday does it he gets bashed. I seriously think that no matter what Corday say or do he will get bashed.
It's not the same thing. AT ALL.

We're not speaking to the press. We weren't the employer. What we're doing is not unprofessional.

Not the same thing.

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

Wow,,real nice Corday..real fucking nice...

jane1978

DrewHamilton
I don't think this casting had anything to do with Terrell's acting abilities. She was brought on as Arianna for Max and as a replacement for Chelsea. I'm sure Terrell screen tested with Darin Brooks. Unfortunately, Brooks left as Max and Arianna was unevenly matched with Brady. There was no chemistry between Terrell and Martsolf, despite what some people on here thought. Corday and Tomlin had to have noticed and when it apparent that Brady and Arianna would be the end game couple, maybe because of Arianne Zucker's upcoming maternity departure and that would stop any Brady and Nicole pairing, they decided to go along with Hartley, given her past with acting oppostie both Martsolf and Gering. It'll be interesting to see if lightening strikes twice like DAYS is hoping happens. I have my doubts.

But I think it's ridiculous that some of the same posters that used to praise Terrell and talk about how she's decent, now all of a sudden claim she's lacking talent or holding up production. Where was all of this speculation just a few weeks ago before Hartley's news broke? There was none.

I'll miss Terrell. She was a good actress, but was just in a sucky role with a sucky pairing. Hopefully Hartley will come onto the show and give something to the Brady and Arianna pairing, and that'll probably be it, because I doubt the writing for Arianna will change and she'll still be a boring character played by a different actress. It's the pairing of Brady and Arianna that will make the character interesting, not the actress.
I believe this is the main reason too, but sometime itīs really noticable how rare the use Arianna even in the scenes where it would make much more sense. I mean, was there any reason why it was Mel and not Ari who got locked with Brady in the Kiriakis mausoleum? That scene was classic DAYS setup for future couples to get closer and even if I really like Mel and Brady together as friends, it was really weird and kind of pointless they put Mel with him instead. Adn when Chloe got sick, again, it was Mel who was there for him. And we know from MB she will soon pair with Brady yet again.

It seems all the potentionaly poignant and importand scenes where Ari and Brady could really get to know each other are given to him and Mel while Ari and Brady had two months of bumping into each other awkwardness and Melanie trying to jumpstart their relationship with no real reason except using MB funny personality to show Ari in better light.

FT was a newbie and the show could use her as much as it likes so itīs weird her scenes are so limited, especially if Brady is a potential leading character of the show, Eric Martsolf is a first class hunk and the show would certainly benefited from him being in a strong, popular, passionate couple.
Edited by jane1978, Aug 5 2009, 01:39 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Yeah...the two things couldn't be less comparable.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

DrewHamilton
There was no chemistry between Terrell and Martsolf, despite what some people on here thought.
Excuse me? Chemistry is entirely subjective and your opinion on whether a couple has chemistry or not is not superior to mine or anyone else's.

samixxx
Member Avatar

Thanks for the article. Lindsay sounds like a wonderful person, I look forward to reading more interviews from her.

six
Member Avatar

jane1978
Aug 5 2009, 01:36 PM
DrewHamilton

I believe this is the main reason too, but sometime itīs really noticable how rare the use Arianna even in the scenes where it would make much more sense. I mean, was there any reason why it was Mel and not Ari who got locked with Brady in the Kiriakis mausoleum? That scene was classic DAYS setup for future couples to get closer and even if I really like Mel and Brady together as friends, it was really weird and kind of pointless they put Mel with him instead. Adn when Chloe got sick, again, it was Mel who was there for him. And we know from MB she will soon pair with Brady yet again.

It seems all the potentionaly poignant and importand scenes where Ari and Brady could really get to know each other are given to him and Mel while Ari and Brady had two months of bumping into each other awkwardness and Melanie trying to jumpstart their relationship with no real reason except using MB funny personality to show Ari in better light.

FT was a newbie and the show could use her as much as it likes so itīs weird her scenes are so limited, especially if Brady is a potential leading character of the show, Eric Martsolf is a first class hunk and the show would certainly benefited from him being in a strong, popular, passionate couple.
I could see this for the Chloe scene, but Melanie had a larger role to play in the Philip/Stephanie stuff, because of her past issues with them. It would have been contrived for a random, not very warm character like Arianna to risk her life looking for Stephanie, so there's no way she would have been there to get locked in the mausoleum. Also, at that point, Max's character was up in the air, and Melanie needed to have her ties to the remaining characters strengthened.

I still don't see signs of any kind of blow up that others have been searching for. Has Corday ever given a tactful article?

King
Member Avatar

I love this girl. I am so excited for her to be on my screen again - and on a show I can tolerate and watch and enjoy which is more than I can say for her last three years on PSNS.

Bring on, Lindsay!!
Edited by King, Aug 5 2009, 02:02 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply