Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; Week of 8/10 - 8/14
Topic Started: Aug 9 2009, 03:53 PM (4,670 Views)
jane1978

esp13
Aug 14 2009, 02:49 PM
luvpumpkns
Aug 14 2009, 02:32 PM
today was an all-around good episode. there was a lot going on, so even if you were bored by something there wasn't much of it.

loved the maggie/stephanie/sami stuff. i was kind of thrown when stephanie vehemently defended sami in the custody battle, since they never shared a scene before to my knowledge. i like that the show is at least acknowledging the family tie. also, it was kind of odd that maggie was still around sami's place after she returned from the hospital. it seems like that scene should have come before the hospital scenes.

i was surprised melanie reacted that way towards stephanie in front of nathan. again, i can't see why nathan would want to have anything to do with her, given that she all of a sudden has some major insecurity issues. i do admit that it was bitchy of stephanie not to explain herself better, and i also think it's unfair of her to consider dating nathan when melanie clearly has feelings for him. i also found it kind of heartless that those two went on to have a good time knowing melanie was so upset over a mistaken impression.
I thought the Sami/Stephanie scene was a very nice touch. Neither of them have any real friends (or mothers) around anymore, so it's nice that the show has decided to use the family connection to create that relationship between them. I hope it's not a one-off thing and they actually keep that relationship going.

I don't understand why Nathan would have any interest in Melanie at this point either. She's stood him up to go off with another guy once, gave him the cold shoulder and then turned around and did the whole "poor, pitiful me" routine until he agreed to go out with her again. Then she catches him talking to Stephanie and she goes ballistic and storms out. Who needs that much drama?

I don't think it was bitchy of Stephanie not to explain herself better simply because Melanie gave her no opportunity to explain anything. She just assumed, chewed them both out, and left. Stephanie was in the wrong when she didn't give Melanie a chance to explain anything a few weeks ago, and Melanie was totally wrong here. I don't know why it's wrong for Stephanie to consider dating Nathan, though. I mean, I don't really think she is, I think she just wants to be friends, but it's clear that Melanie and Stephanie are not friends. It's also clear that Melanie and Nathan are not in a relationship. So, if Philip and Melanie are free agents who can do what they want, then so are Stephanie and Nathan.
I think Melanie had all the reasons to be angry. Nathan and Stephanie were already out one time and now they started to plan another "nondate" in the middle of his dinner with Mel. Yes, Mel seems to loose her self-confidence around Nathan because she really likes the guy but she is not stupid. Stephanie already stole her one guy. And her oh so innocent letīs just hang out as friends act is the oldest trick in the book. No stright single guy wants to be "just friend" with a girl looking like Stephanie and Nathan is already totally enamoured by her. He was honestly interested in Mel till the moment he met Steph and she started to flirt with him. No wonder Mel is hurt.

Stephanie can have any guy she wants, she can have Phillip the guy Mel is still hopelesly in love with, yet she chooses to give fake hope to the only guy Melanie had some real chance with? Not nice at all and IMO if the writers wanted to motivate Mel to sleep with Phillip and still stay a sympathetic character they did very good job.

Edited by jane1978, Aug 14 2009, 04:17 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

Wait a minute. When did Stephanie "steal" Philip from Melanie? Melanie never had Philip except in her mind. Melanie pulled every trick in the book to try and get Philip from Stephanie, not the other way around.

I think they set Melanie's motivations up quite well. But that doesn't mean she wasn't wrong in jumping to conclusions. Whether she likes it or not, Stephanie and Nathan are just friends. Maybe it has potential for going elsewhere, but that's all there is to it now. If Melanie can't handle Nathan being friends with another woman, then she's never going to have a relationship with the guy. Not to mention the fact that Melanie and Nathan don't even have a relationship yet. The girl has major issues and those issues aren't Stephanie or Nathan's fault.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

i don't know if stephanie is interested in nathan as more than a friend. i would say yes, but maybe i'm wrong. the reason i say she's wrong for going after nathan is because of the way she reacted when she heard philip left the pub with melanie. she acted as if she and melanie were friends, and that melanie shouldn't even think of dating philip. so i figure if stephanie feels that way, then perhaps she should show melanie the same respect and back off since it's obvious melanie is interested in nathan.

esp13
Member Avatar

I agree that Stephanie was wrong in the way she reacted to Philip and Melanie. And she got smacked down (literally) for it and apologized. It was made clear to her that Philip and Melanie were free to do whatever they wanted. So, maybe she took those words to heart.

In any case, here's the reason I don't think Stephanie has to back off. First, I don't think that she and Nathan are anything but friends at this point. Second, while we may all know that Melanie really likes Nathan, how would Stephanie know that? She knows that Melanie stood Nathan up to go off with Philip. But that's it. Melanie and Stephanie have never talked about Nathan. Nathan certainly isn't acting like a guy who's taken. For all Stephanie knows, Melanie and Nathan are just friends, like she and Nathan are. If Melanie and Nathan were in an actual relationship, I might agree that Stephanie was in the wrong. But they aren't. And Stephanie and Melanie aren't friends. They might be friendly, but they aren't friends. Way too much history there for that.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Watching an episode of Days of our Lives when Bo and Hope are featured is like watching an episode of That's So Raven. This entire storyline is ridiculous, and it's only the beginning. I'm sure we're going to see more visions, like of where Ciara may be, who has her, and what the ending of the kidnapping can be. What's the point? Aren't the viewers supposed to be surprised at what happens? Instead, we know what's going to happen weeks before it even does. It's so stupid.

I am enjoying Wally Kurth as Justin though. I love that he's involved in two major storylines right now. It was a smart idea to have him start interacting with Bo and Hope upon his return. It gives the character a sense of familiarity since the majority of DAYS' current audience probably doesn't know who Justin Kiriakis is. He hasn't really been mentioned in years, besides a few mentions from Adrienne's brief return in 2007.

I do see something there between Kurth and Kristian Alfonso though. Justin and Hope could potentially work, I think. And with Carly coming back, it's perfect timing. Who needs Daniel involved in this story? Justin has history with Bo, Hope and Carly. And it's history that we've actually seen, unlike the rumored romance that Daniel and Carly had in the past.

I see the damn uniform has made it's return again... :hmmph:

I don't get why Maggie was used today rather than Caroline. I feel that Caroline would've fit in more with Sami and Stephanie. It also would've given reason as to why she wasn't at the pub when Arianna was doing her drug dealing. Rather than just saying she was at bingo, they could've had Caroline comforting her granddaughters. With Marlena out of town, I'd rather see Sami turning to Caroline than Maggie

I did enjoy the writers bringing Sami and Stephanie together though, even for that brief period. They're cousins. It's nice to be reminded that they each other and hang out in their free time.

I'm starting to fall for Brady and Arianna. I'm a littel disappointed that the role is being recast. Hopefully, Lindsey Hartley will work in the role opposite Eric Martsolf.

I'm glad to see the old Melanie is still there. She reacted very in character upon hearing about Nathan and Stephanie's past times together. I loved Melanie insulting Stephanie before storming out. I hated the little friendship they were developing. They work much better as enemies. And I'm starting to like Nathan and Stephanie together.

Why do the writers insist on making Victor such a one note grumpy bastard? He's a bad man. We get that! But he also has a heart, and I can't believe for one second that if a close employee of his dies, he would be so cold about it.

Alligato
Member Avatar

First off, in case I don't mention it enough, Suzanne Rogers is hot. She just rocks the bright red wild hair. Beautiful woman!

And while it is nice to see Sami and Stephanie hang out (better easier to watch than Nicole and Sami being best friends), I am trying hard to see why Sami is so "devestated" about Rafe. She has known him briefly, and granted that it has been a tense relationship, I wouldn't call him her "soulmate". Seriously, Sami? I guess she always moved a bit fast with men.
And how tall is Shelley Hennig? She looked really tall compared to everyone today.
And I don't see it between Melanie and Nathan anyways...she gets a little flighty when Nathan is around and he comes off as mature and serious.

And can't Rafe just give a little where Sami is concerned? Just tell her that he can't tell her yet, or its confidential or something instead of making it such a big deal and bringing more attention to it?
Why is Brady's body orange and his face pale white? Looked weird. And can't the man dry off?

I like Justin back, and also see the chemistry between Hope and Justin, and can't wait to see what happens in this story. Really some must see TV coming up!

I keeping thinking of "does a bear shit in the woods" whenever they start talking about the bear in the woods. And while I love seeing Bope in action knowing that Justin is there and Carly/Lawrence is coming back, I just can't get into this stupid visions of Ciara/ransom story.

Lots of characters on today. Rafe, Melanie, Nathan, Phillip, Victor, Hope, Justin, Bo, Abe, Maggie, Dr. Baker/creep, Arianna/creep...and lots of jump around scenes. Not the best Friday show.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

If the kidnappers not suppose to be a molester than why did he sniff the bear? Did the actor just sneak that ad lib in? Plus his sweating added to his creepiness.

Melanie looked like trailer trash next to Stephanie in spite of her cleavage, lol. Where did that cleavage come from? I dont remember her looking so busty during her Touch the Sky days. Melanie's outburst was good, she was jealous and hurt. I feel bad for her that she's into Nathan but he doesnt seem to be into her at all, he's into Stephanie tho. Nate and Steph aren't a very exciting couple. I dont think Stephanie is out of line in pursuing whatever it is she wants with Nathan, if 20 guys want to hook up with her then so be it. It's not Stephanie's job to pity Melanie. I do like Stephanie and Melanie as frenemies and this incident is showcasing that very well, I like it.

Looks like they are cooking up something for Justin and Hope. When the going gets tough, Hope turns on Bo so she's going to lash out at Bo for Ciarra's kidnapping and turn to Justin. Justin's already giving her a shoulder to cry on.

Drew, when I saw Melanie in the candystripper outfit I thought to myself "poor Drew and that damned outfit". They need to put her in scrubs.

ETA: Brianna sucked just as always. Some more ackward moments that seemed forced, more crappy dialogue for these two. FT seemed very umcomfortable with her awesome body; stiff and like she was sucking her abs in. I cant wait for FT last day.
Edited by Halloween Family, Aug 14 2009, 08:08 PM.

Days4Life

Much to my surprise, I'm also picking up on Hope/Justin chemistry. I don't remember anything at all between them before, but that was a very long time ago. The Ciara kidnapping has been very creepy and Bo and Hope's reaction gut-wrenching, but I'm already dreading the inevitable Hope-blames-Bo-and-shuts-him-out-and-turns-to-another-man part of the story.

I love Dr. Baker. I wish they would keep him around because he and Nicole would make a wonderful scheme team!

Melanie's reaction was a little over the top, but she's always had a competition with Stephanie and felt that everything comes easily to the "Princess", while her life has been hard and she's had to fight for everything she wants, so I think that's why she reacted so badly. She finally had a shiny new toy to play with and along comes Princess Stephanie, with her amazing cleavage and awesome hair, to steal it away. Melanie should have stayed and let Nathan explain instead of just running off, but then I also think Stephanie should have gone after her and tried to talk to her. They are supposed to be friends now, right? Stephanie acted inconsiderately, IMO, but I hate Stephanie and love Melanie, so I'm not exactly unbiased here!

Maggie was so gorgeous today! I just love seeing her on my TV, and I don't care when or why or how (it's amazing that she can find time to do all this babysitting AND run a restaurant); I just want her around. It was a little jarring, though, how they had Maggie, Sami and Stephanie hanging out and then all of a sudden Sami's at the hospital and Stephanie's at the Cheating Heart and then Sami's back home again, having tea with Nanny Maggie. And Arianne's flying around all over Salem, too--first at the mansion, then the Pub, then the mansion again. It makes me dizzy. Maybe she was dizzy as well because that would help explain how awkward she looked in her bikini scene.

lysie
Member Avatar

Finally! A Marlena/Sami/Belle scene! Only with lame substitutes. And what was with Maggie mentioning Melissa but not Sarah? Not that you always have to list all your children, but I found it odd in that context. Also, I may be the only one, but Wally Kurth got on my nerves. I have other comments, but they'll have to wait until I'm not typing on my phone.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

I think Rafe has told Sami many times before that he can't tell her the truth, which, if Sami thought about it, could mean it is confidential. Why have him tell her that he can't tell her yet, if he isn't ever going to? That would be worse and she would bug him even worse as to when are you going to tell me?

Just because Sami and Rafe haven't been together for years, doesn't mean that they are not truly in love and soulmates and aren't both devastated over the split. They have known each other for almost 10 months now and spent close time in the safe house. Some people fall faster than others, and apparently these two did exactly that! I have known people who dated for 6 months and married and have stayed married for many years, so this relationship isn't out of the ordinary.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

magicsteacher
Aug 14 2009, 09:43 PM
I think Rafe has told Sami many times before that he can't tell her the truth, which, if Sami thought about it, could mean it is confidential. Why have him tell her that he can't tell her yet, if he isn't ever going to? That would be worse and she would bug him even worse as to when are you going to tell me?

Just because Sami and Rafe haven't been together for years, doesn't mean that they are not truly in love and soulmates and aren't both devastated over the split. They have known each other for almost 10 months now and spent close time in the safe house. Some people fall faster than others, and apparently these two did exactly that! I have known people who dated for 6 months and married and have stayed married for many years, so this relationship isn't out of the ordinary.
The out of the ordinary part is the whole "I can't tell you anything about my past, and how dare you ask even though my not saying anything just makes you believe the overwhelming evidence that I killed my previous fiance". I don't think most couples deal with issues like that...pretty much...ever.

Confidential or not...if the man I love, the man I am inviting in to my life and to spend time with and influence my children has huge gaping holes in his past that he refuses to talk about and basically makes me feel like shit for asking about...he can take a hike. Rafe is making all kinds of choices here...but not one of them puts Sami first.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Days4Life
Aug 14 2009, 09:00 PM
They are supposed to be friends now, right? Stephanie acted inconsiderately, IMO, but I hate Stephanie and love Melanie, so I'm not exactly unbiased here!
I dont know that Stephanie necessarily considers them as friends, she is very cautious and reluctant when it comes to Melanie. I still think they are frenemies more than anything. I too am biased and I loved when Melanie called her "Princess".

Marian

Has anyone else wondered - when Ari didn't want to go for a swim, could it be because she was driving the car that killed Emily and she has a burn scar or something on her body that she doesn't want anyone to see?

Marian

I take that back - obviously she had no scars. Just saw the end of that episode. It WOULD have been a nice twist though...

jcar03
Member Avatar

LorrieOw
Aug 14 2009, 02:33 PM
I have decided that I want Chad involved with vivan somehow, maybe as his aunt, who has guardianship of him.
I initally thought they should connect him to the canvas by having him being Carly and Lawrence's son that they had after they left town. But a few weeks ago Nicole threatened his mother possible appointment to a federal bench if he didn't leave Mia alone.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

six
Aug 14 2009, 03:00 PM
Bope has the worst luck with unrelated baby-sitters ever. They should have added a little more action there, and maybe had Abe try to rescue Ciara and get knocked out or something. It's a little sad that three separate adults, two of them ex cops, let a little girl wander off with a stranger under their care.
I don't understand why they made Abe the mayor in the first place. I mean we never saw him do anything and now he is acting like a cop again so why not just have him go back to the Salem PD.

lysie
Member Avatar

I'm going to need Abe and Lexie to get on the same page about something. They've haven't been on the same page for years, and this week when Lexie was cheering about Justin coming in for Daniel, and Abe looked pissed about it, it just annoyed me. Do these two ever talk? I almost wonder if the actors are on different pages and and it's not even a part of the writing, because their marriage problems rarely focus on the problems that I see with them.

It got on my nerves on Friday (I think) when Victor told Philip that he had one word for him, and then he said three words. I don't remember what the three words were, but it's not like Victor to have such poor grammar. It bugged me so much that I missed the rest of the scene.

What a lame carnival. When you're at a carnival and you end up playing duck duck goose, you know the carnival blows.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

i'm not sure if it was friday's show, or one from earlier in the week, but victor also used the word 'gonna.' i couldn't believe my ears.

ITA about abe and lexie. it really threw me for a loop that abe would seem to distrust daniel so vehemently when lexie considers him to be a trusted colleague. i thought maybe they were trying to play the old 'abe is jealous' card, but i'm not sure that was intended, either.

peaches179

lysie
Aug 15 2009, 06:40 PM
What a lame carnival. When you're at a carnival and you end up playing duck duck goose, you know the carnival blows.

:roflol: :roflol:

six
Member Avatar

I think the approaches to Daniel are in character for Abe and Lexie. Lexie has always let her emotions color her opinions about the facts (see her relationship with her paternal relatives), and Abe has always been by the book. He's not going to be swayed by Lexie's, or anyone else's feelings. The evidence points to Daniel, so it's Daniel. If Chloe wakes up tomorrow mumbling about Theo, Abe will have him at the station for booking within the hour. That might not make for the most harmonious marriage, but frankly, the only reason labe is still together is because the show doesn't want to hire two more black people as love interests for them.

I don't understand why Abe is the mayor, instead of a cop, either. He's in the same role - yell at Bo to follow procedure, then disappear.
Edited by six, Aug 16 2009, 08:55 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply