Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Watch full episodes at NBC.com
Topic Started: Aug 10 2009, 02:07 PM (3,617 Views)
TBLFanGirl
Member Avatar

Kirk
Aug 10 2009, 07:14 PM
TBLFanGirl
Aug 10 2009, 07:10 PM
Ellie
Aug 10 2009, 03:14 PM
Note, I think it's only for U.S. IP addresses, like the promos.

Here is what SOD says:

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

Full Length Episodes of DAYS on NBC.com
DAYS OF OUR LIVES fans now have no excuse to miss their favorite soap. Starting Today, August 10, the past 10 episodes of DAYS can be viewed on NBC.com. Tomorrow at 3 a.m. ET (August 11) the previous day's episode (in this case August 10) will be available. Each episode will be posted for 16 days.

What does it mean it will be posted for 16 days? Im confused, are they only doing this temporarily or am I misreading?
I think that just means after that 16 day period is over another episode will take its place. Meaning the site is only going to keep the 16 most current episodes.
Ooooh, ok. That makes perfect sense. Thanks!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jdawg1077

mirabella
Aug 11 2009, 12:30 AM
Mason
Aug 11 2009, 12:06 AM
mirabella
Aug 10 2009, 10:47 PM
If we watch it on NBC.com, is that counted in the Nielson ratings?
No
Thanks. I didn't think so but some people are so sure that it counts.
I don't think that anyone is under the illusion that it counts towards the Nielsen ratings. But I think it will be taken into consideration of overall viewership w/ ad sales, which in turn has an effect on profitability. I think that the argument of choice for soap operas will be overall reach, not just network Nielsen ratings. It will be viewership on NBC, combined with viewership on SoapNet, combined with viewership on iTunes, combined with viewership on nbc.com, combined with viewership on hulu.com, combined with any other corporate-sponsored form of viewing. One reason that shows like The Office and 30 Rock have done well (despite relatively poor Nielsen ratings comparatively), is because of online viewing. So while it doesn't "count" traditionally, it will still "matter" overall.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Considering that they don't just give the commercial time away for free online, I'm sure that online viewing numbers factor into the online ad rates and revenue. The more people watch online, the more ad time in the online programming costs, the more money the show makes. It's simply another way to repurpose the programming (like reairing the shows on soap net). The show is only produced once, but the more times and more places it airs and can charge money for ad time, the more money the show makes.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Matt
Aug 11 2009, 01:10 PM
Considering that they don't just give the commercial time away for free online, I'm sure that online viewing numbers factor into the online ad rates and revenue. The more people watch online, the more ad time in the online programming costs, the more money the show makes. It's simply another way to repurpose the programming (like reairing the shows on soap net). The show is only produced once, but the more times and more places it airs and can charge money for ad time, the more money the show makes.
All reasons why I'm shocked it took them this long to do it.

One thing I hate is that online viewing, DVR, etc has killed the Nielson ratings but I don't even think that matters anymore. It's a different era now and I think that is why TPTB of the soaps no longer seem to react to ratings drops anymore. They know there are other viewing outlets so they look at the complete picture. A show like Days, for example, is shown on NBC and Soapnet. Then you have to take into account those who may watch episodes at a later date. Now, you have online viewing. The show is aware of people watching on youtube and other sites so this is smart in that now people can watch on NBC.com/Global in good quality and have their viewing measured, which is what you want since that is what the show's future may rely on.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm THRILLED to know I can catch the show, especially now that mY ALLTIME FAVORITE soap star, Lindsay Hartley is coming back to daytime! This is just the best day EVER!!!
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply