Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: A Closer Look: Hope; August 25th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Aug 12 2009, 11:42 AM (2,004 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOW features an interview with Kristian Alfonso.

Bo and Hope find Ciara's teddy bear in the woods. SOW says that Hope had taken the bear away from Ciara because of Bo's vision. Bo gets upset at Hope because he thinks she gave the bear back to Ciara, but Hope tells Bo she didn't.

Later, Ellen and her daughter Tracy come to the police station. Ellen tells Bo and Hope that she gave Ciara the teddy bear, which just happens to look like Ciara's other bear. Tracy tells them that a man at Ciara's birthday party gave Ciara candy. Alfonso says, "All of a sudden, it clicks! ... The kidnapper was there."

A ransom note is delivered asking for money. Alfonso explains that Hope is "devastated", because she thinks this may be related to her charity donation. But then, Hope thinks that this may be related to the DiMera/Brady feud. Alfonso explains, "Who do the DiMeras hate more than anybody? The Bradys. And now they hate the Kiriakises, too." Hope thinks that since Bo is both a Brady and a Kiriakis, maybe this is why Ciara was abducted.

Victor comes to the police station willing to provide ransom money. Bo and Hope receive instructions that Hope must come alone and unarmed. Alfonso says that Bo wants to send Hope with surveillance, because he thinks Hope is walking into a trap. Bo and Hope argue, and as Alfonso says, "Hope insists she's going and tells Bo not to follow her. Bo finally gives her the ransom money and the directions. The last thing he says to Hope is, 'Make sure you come back, and come back with our daughter.'"

However, while Hope is on her way to the prearranged meeting place, Bo has another vision! In his vision, the money is given to the kidnappers, and Ciara dies. Bo shows up and tells Hope the meeting is off. At first, he doesn't tell Hope he's had a vision, but she soon realizes, and he tells her what the vision was.

Bo tells Hope that they can't pay a ransom. Alfonso says that "this causes a huge rift between [Bo and Hope]. Hope tries to explain to Bo that not all his visions have come true and that they can't live by them."

Hope gets a phone call about a new meeting place, but Bo takes the phone and says there will be no meeting. Alfonso says that "if something happens to Ciara, Hope tells Bo she will never forgive him."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Thanks, Ellie!

This is ridiculously detailed.

Dr. Chip

Gosh, I wish they would get rid of the visions and tell the story without them. This is silly.

Mason
Member Avatar

Dr. Chip
Aug 12 2009, 12:48 PM
Gosh, I wish they would get rid of the visions and tell the story without them. This is silly.
Same here. They're not needed and this could be a really decent story without them.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I agree. This could be a good story without the visions crap.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I was thinking the same thing. The vision crap is taking away from what could be a good story!

jane1978

Angie79
Aug 12 2009, 01:27 PM
I was thinking the same thing. The vision crap is taking away from what could be a good story!
But you need the visions. Itīs the only way how to make Bo react so unusual. Otherwise he would never stopped Hope, he would followed her and next tried to take all the guys just himself. We know the show would never dare to kill Ciara after Zack, so the story would turn into another Bo and Hope try to save things, Hope is eventually kidnapped too and Bo saves the day story.

This is much better. It reminds me the movie Ransom with Mel Gibson, but he was motivated by his hard and long background in high business. Bo needs some external motivator why he is suddenly reacting so OTT and the vision gives perfectly good explanation. No matter how far fetched they are itīs not something he can ignore.

Ellie

jane1978
Aug 12 2009, 02:23 PM
Angie79
But you need the visions. Itīs the only way how to make Bo react so unusual.
But why does Bo have to react unusually? Why can't they write a story where Bo reacts in-character?

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

jane1978
But you need the visions. Itīs the only way how to make Bo react so unusual. Otherwise he would never stopped Hope, he would followed her and next tried to take all the guys just himself. We know the show would never dare to kill Ciara after Zack, so the story would turn into another Bo and Hope try to save things, Hope is eventually kidnapped too and Bo saves the day story.

This is much better. It reminds me the movie Ransom with Mel Gibson, but he was motivated by his hard and long background in high business. Bo needs some external motivator why he is suddenly reacting so OTT and the vision gives perfectly good explanation. No matter how far fetched they are itīs not something he can ignore.

That shows you how lazy the writers are. Instead of coming up with a realistic reason why Bo would react the way he is, they have to write in these ridiculous visions as his motivation. Stupid!

jane1978

Ellie
Aug 12 2009, 02:26 PM
jane1978
Angie79
But you need the visions. Itīs the only way how to make Bo react so unusual.
But why does Bo have to react unusually? Why can't they write a story where Bo reacts in-character?

Because we already saw many of kidnapping Bope stories where Bo reacted in character. Itīs not interesting anymore. We know Bo is a hothead and he will violate every cops recommendation, we know he will tell Hope to stay away from it but because she is stubborn she will follow him and eventually ends in danger/kidnapped too, and finally we know the show will never kill her, Bo or Ciara so Bo will save the day at the end (again) and everything will be as before.

The visions are a violation of the rules which gives the story a chance to swith into a diffrent and less explored route. We never saw Bo reacts this way before and that makes it interesting.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Well, to me the visions are just stupid. They don't make anything interesting.

Mason
Member Avatar

How about we just come up with a storyline for Bo and Hope that doesn't involve kidnapping? That way, we don't have to come up with these "interesting" little twists like the visions.

Mason
Member Avatar

Angie79
Aug 12 2009, 02:46 PM
Well, to me the visions are just stupid. They don't make anything interesting.
Ditto.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

jane1978
Aug 12 2009, 02:42 PM
Because we already saw many of kidnapping Bope stories where Bo reacted in character. Itīs not interesting anymore. We know Bo is a hothead and he will violate every cops recommendation, we know he will tell Hope to stay away from it but because she is stubborn she will follow him and eventually ends in danger/kidnapped too, and finally we know the show will never kill her, Bo or Ciara so Bo will save the day at the end (again) and everything will be as before.

The visions are a violation of the rules which gives the story a chance to swith into a diffrent and less explored route. We never saw Bo reacts this way before and that makes it interesting.
So instead of coming up with a new angle to a kidnapping/adventure storyline, which Bo and Hope are famous for, we're just going to throw in a stupid plot device that makes no sense, just to explain why Bo would react differently? That sounds like a great idea.

Ellie

jane1978
Aug 12 2009, 02:42 PM

Well, "interesting" is a matter of opinion, so we'll just have to disagree on that. But I agree with what DrewHamilton and Mason are saying. The writers seem to be starting with a needed ending (I'd guess, Bo and Hope's relationship becoming strained, and enter Carly). As a means to that end, they're using the visions as a plot device. I think the visions come off as silly, but besides that, I don't think they're even keeping Bo and Hope in character given the visions. Would Bo and Hope really not be able to work out this issue in their marriage at this point? Really? I think they would.

If the writers are for some reason set on using the visions (which is a mistake, I think), they should have thought the whole thing through. Wouldn't Bo try to talk to someone about these visions? Why is he just taking it as a given that he's suddenly psychic? Wouldn't Hope think it's a little strange that someone she's been married to for so long would suddenly have this happen to him? Where were his visions when Zach was run over?

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Ellie
Aug 12 2009, 03:05 PM
If the writers are for some reason set on using the visions (which is a mistake, I think), they should have thought the whole thing through. Wouldn't Bo try to talk to someone about these visions? Why is he just taking it as a given that he's suddenly psychic? Wouldn't Hope think it's a little strange that someone she's been married to for so long would suddenly have this happen to him? Where were his visions when Zach was run over?

Agreed. Where the hell is Celeste when you need her?

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I agree too. The only thing we know is that he had a fall (and it wasn't that bad) and now he is psychic. So stupid! The visions are probably going stop just as quickly as they started with no explanation either.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I'm not a fan of the visions story either but not because of the concept but because they never made it any more then a plot point. They made it even worse by seemingly abandoning it even as a plot point for months. If they focused on it a bit like they did early on, it would strike my interest more.

Having said that, I agree with Jane with the exception that I hope the vision aspect only plays a role in the early part of this. I don't mind the role it plays in the early part of this because it makes sense but I don't see a need to use it as much going forward. In fact, I wish somewhere along the line in the coming weeks that Bo gets hurt or something and loses the ability to have these visions.

I'm just glad that the visions stuff is being used for something. I don't like just dropping stories, even if they are not very good. At least all the stuff this winter with Bo coming to terms with the visions and realizing not6 every vision is what it seems will be used for something.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Aug 12 2009, 03:11 PM
Ellie
Aug 12 2009, 03:05 PM

Agreed. Where the hell is Celeste when you need her?
That just pisses me off, especially since so much of the focus early on was on Bo's visions being tied to Theo. Abe knew of the visions so why not bring his mother in law into it?

I've accepted the visions as nothing more then a plot point and not so much a story but the worst part is they've barely played it between April and now. That is the big problem I have. If your going to do this, at least play it every now and then. Then again, it was clear the writers did not give a damn about Bo and Hope earlier this year. They are only focusing on them and all this now because of the returns and wanting to make a big ratings push this Fall. It's all about whether or not the regime gives a damn on all these soaps. If they don't, the characters and stories they don't like suffer big time and so do many fans.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Aug 12 2009, 03:19 PM
DrewHamilton
Aug 12 2009, 03:11 PM
Where the hell is Celeste when you need her?
That just pisses me off, especially since so much of the focus early on was on Bo's visions being tied to Theo. Abe knew of the visions so why not bring his mother in law into it?
Couldn't agree more with both of you on this point. Celeste was a well-developed character who was psychic as part of who she was. Including her in this story would have made so much sense. Celeste is an example of something farfetched being used correctly, because with Celeste, 'visions' are character-based and not plot-based. Even if Bo had sought out Celeste for help with his visions, that would have grounded the story a bit and made the visions less of a shallow plot device.

Tim, as for your point about the timing, I think the point that Angie and others in this thread are making is that given the fact that the viewers had some time off from the visions, this re-emergence of Bo and Hope could very easily have been 'vision-free'. The viewers probably wouldn't have thought twice about it, and imo if viewers did notice, they would have been grateful.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply