Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; Week of 8/17 - 8/21
Topic Started: Aug 17 2009, 10:51 AM (4,638 Views)
Ellie

Days of Our Lives
Week of 8/17 - 8/21

Discuss. :smile:

Classic Clip: Bo and Hope give JT to the Reibers.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

james0479
Member Avatar

I never have posted here before, but watch the site regularly. I think this is the best Days board online. After watching today's show, I felt compelled to post. I was truly shocked when I saw Ciarra today. Now, I knew this story was coming and I was thankful for a little excitement on what mostly has begun a rather bland show. But I wasn't prepared for a baby girl to be bound by her little wrists with rope and then blindfolded with little pink bows sticking out. That's not a nice image by no means....and this is not a nice story. I wish we had a little foresight into where this thing is going. Anyway, I was totally taken back.....hopefully, this will not last too much longer. I'm ready for the return of the Alamians....and I wonder how much, if any, this story has to do with the big returns. Time will tell.

james0479
Member Avatar

And BTW...That clip kills. Love the part with John and Marlena at the end. But, KA's performance to end all performances was the scream she let out when she realized Zach was dead. That was gut wrenching. I was reminded of that with today's episode.....they sure don't give Bo and Hope much luck with their kids.

Ellie

james0479
Aug 17 2009, 04:06 PM
And BTW...That clip kills. Love the part with John and Marlena at the end. But, KA's performance to end all performances was the scream she let out when she realized Zach was dead. That was gut wrenching. I was reminded of that with today's episode.....they sure don't give Bo and Hope much luck with their kids.
Welcome to the board! Agree with what you're saying about the clip and about Kristian when Zach died. I put this clip up because of its relation to the current story, but I don't think it was Kristian's best work. I completely understand that sometimes 'no tears' means more than sobbing, but if that is the case, the performance should still resonate emotionally with the viewers, and imo hers didn't. I think it was more the nature of the story, the palpable sense that time was running out, and the ensemble feeling in the room that gave this scene the 'punch' that it had. As for the scenes after Zach died, I agree that was some of Kristian's best work ever, and her performances were what drove that story.

james0479
Member Avatar

I agree Ellie...and thanks for the welcome. I loved that clip and it gave me chills....just reminded me so much of the Zach story...and now this with Ciarra. Man, TPTB sure don't let up on Bo and Hope in regards to their children. I'd hate to have to play out this SL....but I hope it is worth something in the long run.

Ellie

james0479
Aug 17 2009, 04:26 PM
Man, TPTB sure don't let up on Bo and Hope in regards to their children.
I'm not sure why that is. I'm sure whatever needs to happen to Bo and Hope could come about in a different way than kidnapping. It tells me that the writing is very plot-based and that the writers don't think about the fact that Bo and Hope have gone through something like this with almost all of their children. I know that Kristian discussed that in this week's magazine articles, but that's different than the writers' having considered it beforehand. Her statements just mean that she's trying to keep Hope in character even if the writers are not.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Ellie
Aug 17 2009, 04:49 PM
james0479
Aug 17 2009, 04:26 PM
Man, TPTB sure don't let up on Bo and Hope in regards to their children.
I'm not sure why that is. I'm sure whatever needs to happen to Bo and Hope could come about in a different way than kidnapping. It tells me that the writing is very plot-based and that the writers don't think about the fact that Bo and Hope have gone through something like this with almost all of their children. I know that Kristian discussed that in this week's magazine articles, but that's different than the writers' having considered it beforehand. Her statements just mean that she's trying to keep Hope in character even if the writers are not.

It's almost...it reminds me of Passions and why I was glad they had Tabitha around actually telling the viewer "yep, Evil Forces are after those two." That way it was more an intentional theme than this.

Love that clip- thanks!

Ellie

px780
Aug 17 2009, 05:22 PM
It's almost...it reminds me of Passions and why I was glad they had Tabitha around actually telling the viewer "yep, Evil Forces are after those two." That way it was more an intentional theme than this.

Love that clip- thanks!
lol! Evil forces is definitely way more thematic than this. Unless you want to count Tomlin and Higley as evil forces.

And you're welcome!

esp13
Member Avatar

I thoroughly enjoyed today's show (well, except for the Phelony kiss). I loved Philip and Victor squaring off. I've wanted to see Philip step out and be his own man for a long time, so I hope this one sticks. JA and JKJ were really wonderful in those scenes.

I enjoyed Nathan and Stephanie. I think they have a very nice friendship vibe. I'm glad that Stephanie wanted to try and smooth things over with Melanie (even though I don't think she really did anything wrong). I can't blame Nathan for not wanting to deal with Melanie at that moment. He may have screwed things up, but the girl has been a major drama queen and I can't blame him for not wanting to have another Melanie emotional blackmail moment.

Brady/Daniel was mildly intriguing in that I like the idea of Brady helping Daniel save Chloe (not that I care about saving Chloe all that much). I still think Arianna is an undercover cop, but she's clearly a very stupid one.

The Bo/Hope conflict is clearly starting already. I don't know why TPTB insist on torturing their children in order to give them conflict.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

yea, i have to agree that ari is probably a cop, but her behavior doesn't make sense if she is. for one, she could tell brady that she was a cop and rafe, too. as far as i know, narcotics officers aren't like spies. their families know what they do for a living. secondly, she is tasting, weighing, and bagging up drugs. that is not something she would be doing as an undercover cop. she'd be recieving drugs, possibly tape recording the transaction, and then handing the evidence over for processing. it's not like i'm a cop, this is just common sense stuff. i guess i just can't see the rationale for her bagging up that cocaine that way unless she intends to sell it, and cops can't do that.

victor had the line of the year, telling philip that all he does is bitch lately. and poor nathan. first he's the victim of drama queen melanie and then hothead philip busts in and sucker punches him. he probably wants to run away from salem and quickly.

i'm not really feeling the bope stuff. i think it's because we've gone through all this with bo and hope before. it definitely lends credence to the idea that super couples are hard to write for. what story could they do for bo and hope that they haven't already?
Edited by luvpumpkns, Aug 17 2009, 07:32 PM.

heidi
Member Avatar

I'm not interested in revisiting the Zack story in any way. I have a son named Zach that was born the same week as Zack (although he was Isaac then). The only time in my life this show really upset me was those couple of weeks. I saw it coming in the previews and said to myself then, "This is going to be hard." I actually had nightmares for a month after that. I don't think that the very little kids being hit by cars and being kidnapped for ransom is good for the show. What's next, molestation?

heidi
Member Avatar

On another note: Am I the only one who remember a couple of years ago when Bo and Hope where going to start their detective agency, they found out that all her trust fund money was gone. That's why they sold the Fancy Face, to get the money they needed because she was no longer an heiress.

Now somebody is after her kids because they know she has money? I hope they aren't asking for more than she makes on her part time cop salary.

peaches179

luvpumpkns
Aug 17 2009, 07:32 PM
i'm not really feeling the bope stuff. i think it's because we've gone through all this with bo and hope before. it definitely lends credence to the idea that super couples are hard to write for. what story could they do for bo and hope that they haven't already?

I have to agree with this. As much as I love Bope, I'm just not interested in another kidnapping storyline. They'll break up again because of some trust issue (Probably something Bo kept from Hope to protect her). Then they'll get back together again. :sleep: Rinse, wash, repeat. Same ole, same ole. Zzzzz

Alligato
Member Avatar

^I am getting that feeling too. I just know those two are going to blame each other for something, especially Hope blaming Bo and his visions or a reason just a stupid, and she will move to Aunt Maggie's and Justin will comfort her.
And I really don't care. And if they didn't make them so squeaky clean and happy all of the time, I might buy it. They have been together for 20-something years, but Hope has trust issues? Seriously?

And the tying up and ransoming a child crap is pretty sick, especially after they had us watch an infant die a few months ago. I swear the writers are sadistic with children.
I am just not feeling this story at all...and I feel that we saw this grief with Bope a few months ago with Zach...and Sami with Grace...and Kayla with Joe...and Nicole with baby EJole, etc. Sigh.

jane1978

james0479
Aug 17 2009, 02:57 PM
I never have posted here before, but watch the site regularly. I think this is the best Days board online. After watching today's show, I felt compelled to post. I was truly shocked when I saw Ciarra today. Now, I knew this story was coming and I was thankful for a little excitement on what mostly has begun a rather bland show. But I wasn't prepared for a baby girl to be bound by her little wrists with rope and then blindfolded with little pink bows sticking out. That's not a nice image by no means....and this is not a nice story. I wish we had a little foresight into where this thing is going. Anyway, I was totally taken back.....hopefully, this will not last too much longer. I'm ready for the return of the Alamians....and I wonder how much, if any, this story has to do with the big returns. Time will tell.
I really donīt think they want overboard with Ciara. You could tell she is perfectly confortable, the ropes were lose and the scarf around her eyes looked like a satin and very thin. I think if they tried to do the same with the girl who plays Ali it wouldnīt work, but the Ciara actress seems to be very into anything they ask her to do.

Anyway, if anyone will ever ask again why were Tanna, Jarlena, Stayla, Jannifer etc. let go, this thread is the answer. This is the first story Bope have after almost a year and people are already complaining. Thanks god the show has only one supercouple anymore.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

jane1978
Aug 18 2009, 09:22 AM
Anyway, if anyone will ever ask again why were Tanna, Jarlena, Stayla, Jannifer etc. let go, this thread is the answer. This is the first story Bope have after almost a year and people are already complaining. Thanks god the show has only one supercouple anymore.

I hardly think a handful of opinions on one message board is "the answer" to anything. As for people complaining, name a story that people don't complain about--it's not hard to find people complaining here or elsewhere about the baby switch, the Philip/Stephanie/Nathan/Melanie quad, and/or the Danloe/Kate poisoning drama. The fact that these writers can't think of anything to do with Bo and Hope that isn't a repeat of things they've been through before doesn't necessarily mean a better writing team couldn't. I'm not even a particular fan of any of those that you mentioned, but I see this as a writing problem, not a "these couples are played out no matter what they do with them" problem.

james0479
Member Avatar

Jane...I wasn't complaning. I love Bo and Hope...they are among the few core vets still on this show, obviously. I was just stating that it totally surprised me. Usually, you'd kind of expect to not see Ciarra during this. I assumed it would all kind of be behind the scenes. So, I was just totally caught off guard when I saw her tied up. Now, that did add to the seriousness of the story and I suppose I'm glad it was all in your face. I just hate this so much for Bo and Hope because there's always something horrible going on with their children. Someone mentioned molestation and I was sooooooo afraid they were about to go there and that would've been a horrible mistake. So, looking back on the episode, I think it was what it was....a total blow to my senses and that's exactly what they were going for. So, in that case, I think it worked. Let's just see how this thing goes from here.

peaches179

Paxton
Aug 18 2009, 09:39 AM
jane1978

I hardly think a handful of opinions on one message board is "the answer" to anything. As for people complaining, name a story that people don't complain about--it's not hard to find people complaining here or elsewhere about the baby switch, the Philip/Stephanie/Nathan/Melanie quad, and/or the Danloe/Kate poisoning drama. The fact that these writers can't think of anything to do with Bo and Hope that isn't a repeat of things they've been through before doesn't necessarily mean a better writing team couldn't. I'm not even a particular fan of any of those that you mentioned, but I see this as a writing problem, not a "these couples are played out no matter what they do with them" problem.

ITA.

jane1978

Paxton
Aug 18 2009, 09:39 AM
jane1978

I quess Iīm just sad because I like the show and I want it to continue and seeing so many people being unhappy even when the vets are on frontburner and just a few episodes after the story started is a sign it probably really run its course. (like all the soaps). Because I honestly donīt see any original or new story still available for Bope or any other vets and Iīm afraid we will see exact the same reaction with Vivian and Carly. Years ago the show atleast could do those amazing romantic adventures. Now there are no money for additional sets, additional extras and added working hours, so the writers have to tell story only by using the 6+ permanent sets we see each day. The only thing you can really focus on are relationships, so anything happens will eventually result into a relationship conflict. But if people donīt want to see that, there is really not much left to tell.
Edited by jane1978, Aug 18 2009, 11:22 AM.

esp13
Member Avatar

I don't think it's that people don't want to see relationship conflict. The problem is that Bo and Hope had this exact same conflict just a couple of years ago with Zach. I think this storyline (or something similar) could have worked for Steve and Kayla because it wouldn't have been something we just saw a couple of years ago. It would have been a new conflict for them to deal with. I think there are ways to give Bo and Hope conflict, it just needed to be something new. What if someone/something had come back from Hope's days as Princess Gina? There are about a thousand ways to play that without it being an interloper or putting their kids in direct danger.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply