Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Crystal Chappell Tweets Days Teasers!
Topic Started: Aug 19 2009, 02:37 PM (3,408 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

You can follow Crystal Chappell (Carly) on Twitter by following this link.

Quote:

[Peter Reckell] is a sweetheart Can't wait to work with everyone there. Kristian is amazing....it'll be soo much fun!

It's a really cool intro. Nothing I would have expected. And I've seen everything!

I'm sooo excited about sooo many things. Days intro is awesome!!!!! I laughed. It's sooo good!

No love interest for quite some time. Not what people would expect. I like it though!

No, Carly 2.0 is not Bo/Carly redux. It's not what most would think. Watch!

Michael will indeed pop up on DOOL

[Carly is] a doctor of Soap. Therefore, she can do ANYTHING

Had a great couple days on Days! Lovely group. Lovin the story. Miss my GL

Dont think Carly would have blace nailpolish but a tatoo. Getting that in next 2 weeks. What?

Love how NBC promotes. Smart Cookies

Thanks to James0479 for the heads up!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

I can't even describe how excited I am for her and Vivian's returns.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Crystal sounds more excited than she was previously. She was probably dealing with the emotions of GL ending at the same time.

However, while I think Crystal's fans will be happy to see her, I would still expect "Carly 2.0" here. Even if Crystal is trying to keep Carly in character as before (which honestly, it doesn't sound like she is), I'd have no expectation at all that this writing team would try to do that. I'd expect a new version of Carly, and I'm not even sure there could be flashbacks except for Carly/Vivian scenes, since the actors in the other roles have either been fired or recast. In other words, I think people excited for Crystal's return will be pleased, but people excited for Carly's return might not be.

lysie
Member Avatar

It sounds like they're trying to do something ridiculous. That's been going over real well the last few years...

Can403

Ellie
Aug 19 2009, 03:04 PM
Crystal sounds more excited than she was previously. She was probably dealing with the emotions of GL ending at the same time.

However, while I think Crystal's fans will be happy to see her, I would still expect "Carly 2.0" here. Even if Crystal is trying to keep Carly in character as before (which honestly, it doesn't sound like she is), I'd have no expectation at all that this writing team would try to do that. I'd expect a new version of Carly, and I'm not even sure there could be flashbacks except for Carly/Vivian scenes, since the actors in the other roles have either been fired or recast. In other words, I think people excited for Crystal's return will be pleased, but people excited for Carly's return might not be.

I agree. I don't trust TIIC to write Carly in character either.

james0479
Member Avatar

Thanks for the thread and for the shout-out, Kenny!! :) I usually don't give this show too much hope these days....but, I gotta say, I am giving it another chance to WOW me. I really think after letting so many vets go that Days is really going to step their game up. Especially with renewal talks looming. Since it was obvious TPTB were not going to bring back anyone they let go, I think the casting decisions they made were smart and interesting. Crystal is an emmy award winning genre fave, Louise Sorel is an all-time fan fave, Wally Kurth could hold his own among them and has totally impressed me....and Michael Sabitino returning as Lawrence is music to my ears. Now, I know we are all different and have our own feelings of what Days should be. As a HUGE Marlena fan, I have surprised myself recently. That character did it all. Aside from being filler or recapturing something we always knew she was....there wasn't alot there for her. I'd rather see her go away than be Caroline. If the money it took to pay her to do what she did goes to the returns of some classic characters that still have story left in them, I say go for it. I'm open to anything that can keep this show afloat. It's been picking up steam this week and, hopefully, it will continue rocking out for along time. I hope these old and great characters breath some new life in this show....and inspires TPTB. Maybe inspiration is all they needed.

lastDays
Member Avatar

Ellie

I agree .Carly 2.0 is coming.Thats what this whole kidnapping/Hope pissed at Bo thing is all about.A wedge for Carly to come in.CC is excited now,but I expect complaints before the end of the year (with good reason).Why would the way this regime writes be any different for old favs returning?

james0479
Member Avatar

I do wanna give a big shout out to the CC and friends website ( Crystal's fan club) for always posting her remarks on twitter and everywhere else. It's a cool website to check out if you are a fan like myself! :)

james0479
Member Avatar

lastDays
Aug 19 2009, 04:01 PM
Ellie

I agree .Carly 2.0 is coming.Thats what this whole kidnapping/Hope pissed at Bo thing is all about.A wedge for Carly to come in.CC is excited now,but I expect complaints before the end of the year (with good reason).Why would the way this regime writes be any different for old favs returning?
I agree and disagree with this. Yes, fans of Carly could be disappointed that the writers could reinvent the character. But, as a Carly fan, I think they should. It's been ....what?,.,,like 16 years since we've seen the character? Haven't we all changed since 16 years? Plus, she left with Lawrence Alamian....and who knows how long she stayed with him. He wasn't the kindest man on the block. Carly could be ANYTHING now.....that's what makes her so fresh and exciting. I hope the writers take full advantange of that and use this actress for what's she is worth. She seems to be having fun so far.....even though it hasn't been a full week yet (lol).... I'm glad that Carly isn't going to be the same Carly as when she left. It would be bland storytelling if she was.

Harmony233

james0479
Aug 19 2009, 04:18 PM
lastDays
Aug 19 2009, 04:01 PM
Ellie

I agree and disagree with this. Yes, fans of Carly could be disappointed that the writers could reinvent the character. But, as a Carly fan, I think they should. It's been ....what?,.,,like 16 years since we've seen the character? Haven't we all changed since 16 years? Plus, she left with Lawrence Alamian....and who knows how long she stayed with him. He wasn't the kindest man on the block. Carly could be ANYTHING now.....that's what makes her so fresh and exciting. I hope the writers take full advantange of that and use this actress for what's she is worth. She seems to be having fun so far.....even though it hasn't been a full week yet (lol).... I'm glad that Carly isn't going to be the same Carly as when she left. It would be bland storytelling if she was.
I loved Carly but watching old clips.She was eaisly manipulated and always a victim ecspecially of Vivians.I mean they had Vivian tell her her baby was dead while Viv kidnapped him and then buried her alive.

Ellie

james0479
Absolutely, people change over the years, but I guess where I'm coming from is that when someone says he's a fan of a character, there are certain elements about the character which appeal to him. Those should still be present even after a period of time like this. The 'real life' model I think of is a high school reunion. While everyone's external circumstances are different, there are basic personality traits and dynamics which usually rise to the surface if the same group of people is together again. I think that's what should happen here. Whatever appealed to fans about Carly should still be there, whether it was something about her personality, or the way she interacted with others. What I was trying to say in my post was that unfortunately, I don't think the writers will try to accomplish this in the slightest. That would leave it to Crystal, and based on previous comments she's made, it looks like she may be trying to reinvent Carly as well. Because of this, what appealed to fans of the character in the first place may no longer be there when Carly returns.

Can403

Ellie
Aug 19 2009, 05:06 PM
james0479
Absolutely, people change over the years, but I guess where I'm coming from is that when someone says he's a fan of a character, there are certain elements about the character which appeal to him. Those should still be present even after a period of time like this. The 'real life' model I think of is a high school reunion. While everyone's external circumstances are different, there are basic personality traits and dynamics which usually rise to the surface if the same group of people is together again. I think that's what should happen here. Whatever appealed to fans about Carly should still be there, whether it was something about her personality, or the way she interacted with others. What I was trying to say in my post was that unfortunately, I don't think the writers will try to accomplish this in the slightest. That would leave it to Crystal, and based on previous comments she's made, it looks like she may be trying to reinvent Carly as well. Because of this, what appealed to fans of the character in the first place may no longer be there when Carly returns.

I fear TIIC will have Carly 2.0 who will be more like the GL character than the Days character. Gary Tomlin seems to like cancelled soaps and characters from cancelled soaps.

jane1978

Ellie
james0479

I donīt know how anyone else, but itīs really hard to talk about Carly and some elements defining her character. I quess if we are talking about the original big romantic heroine and Hopeīs replacement Carly from 1990 till summer 1991. But after that the character got through change after change finally ending with JER, who first turned her into some high society snot to accentualize the differences between her and Billie and next let her left Salem to live happily ever after with the man who raped her best friend. There are really only two things important for the character. She is a good doctor and Boīs ex. Everything else can be rewritten into whatever the writers and CC feels is best for them now.

Ellie

jane1978
Aug 19 2009, 05:40 PM
There are really only two things important for the character. She is a good doctor and Boīs ex. Everything else can be rewritten into whatever the writers and CC feels is best for them now.
But if that's the case, that doesn't explain why some here are saying they're huge Carly fans and they're excited for Carly to return. If they're excited for Crystal to return, fine. But my point was that those excited for Carly to return may be disappointed.

Harmony233

jane1978
Ellie
james0479

I donīt know how anyone else, but itīs really hard to talk about Carly and some elements defining her character. I quess if we are talking about the original big romantic heroine and Hopeīs replacement Carly from 1990 till summer 1991. But after that the character got through change after change finally ending with JER, who first turned her into some high society snot to accentualize the differences between her and Billie and next let her left Salem to live happily ever after with the man who raped her best friend. There are really only two things important for the character. She is a good doctor and Boīs ex. Everything else can be rewritten into whatever the writers and CC feels is best for them now.
It did seem like her character went through character changes more after PR BO left.I actually liked Carly and Lawrence but before they had wrote her character as strong and independant and who didn't want the lifestyle that she was born into.The fact that she had spent her entire life running away from the arranged marriage to Lawrence.Then they brought on RKK Bo who I don't think worked as well as PR Bo and Carly.I've tried to watch old clips of Bo and Carly with RKK.But after watching that scene of when Carly tells Lawrence about the baby.RRK Bo got angry and was going on about how she betrayed him.They really made his Bo an jerk ecspecially during that time.I don't know his Bo only seemed to fit with Billie.

james0479
Member Avatar

Maybe I am not the best person to argue....or have a conversation on the Carly return. I was ten when I first started watching this show. LOL I have revisited clips and even have some videotapes of storylines involving Carly. I loved the character because she was a good and sincere character....someone you rooted for. I do agree with some posts that her character changed a bit duirng her final year on the show. The Buried Alive story, IMO, was awesome, simply because Crystal acted the crap out of it. Crystal and Lousie Sorel sold that story and I bought it! Maybe I am just excited to have Crystal back as Carly....more so than Carly herself. But, honestly, I don't know if that really matters. When MaryBeth Evans came back as Kayla, I was excited to have Kayla back but ALSO excited to see MaryBeth on my screen again on my fave show. Same with Crystal as Carly. I loved Carly and love Crystal....I'm excited to see them both. The difference will be that Carly has obviously changed, while Kayla was pretty much the same as she was when she left. Which is fine. But, I just find it more exciting not knowing what to expect. This is a character that not too many people remember.....or so the powers that be expect.....and it's an interesting situation they have found themselves in. An old character.....a familiar face.....connections to Bo, Hope Victor......they could do anything. I'm down with it. lol Let's see how they roll. :)

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Aug 19 2009, 05:54 PM
jane1978
There are really only two things important for the character. She is a good doctor and Boīs ex. Everything else can be rewritten into whatever the writers and CC feels is best for them now.
But if that's the case, that doesn't explain why some here are saying they're huge Carly fans and they're excited for Carly to return. If they're excited for Crystal to return, fine. But my point was that those excited for Carly to return may be disappointed.

Yes, I agree. The thing is, she's been off canvas for so long that the writers probably feel they have carte blanche to re-make her. Now, that could be perfectly fine, as long as they don't make her a totally different character in the process. Everybody changes as they get older, and most of us are quite different at 35 than we were at 20, for example, but like you said earlier in the thread, there are certain basic character elements that don't really tend to change. When Carly returns, hopefully those who remember her (and I remember her and liked her fine) will find her recognizable, even if she's not exactly the same she was all those years ago. I'm curious to see, but with this writing team she probably won't have a defined character anyway--or it'll change to suit the plot as needed.

Harmony233

james0479
Aug 19 2009, 06:31 PM
Maybe I am not the best person to argue....or have a conversation on the Carly return. I was ten when I first started watching this show. LOL I have revisited clips and even have some videotapes of storylines involving Carly. I loved the character because she was a good and sincere character....someone you rooted for. I do agree with some posts that her character changed a bit duirng her final year on the show. The Buried Alive story, IMO, was awesome, simply because Crystal acted the crap out of it. Crystal and Lousie Sorel sold that story and I bought it! Maybe I am just excited to have Crystal back as Carly....more so than Carly herself. But, honestly, I don't know if that really matters. When MaryBeth Evans came back as Kayla, I was excited to have Kayla back but ALSO excited to see MaryBeth on my screen again on my fave show. Same with Crystal as Carly. I loved Carly and love Crystal....I'm excited to see them both. The difference will be that Carly has obviously changed, while Kayla was pretty much the same as she was when she left. Which is fine. But, I just find it more exciting not knowing what to expect. This is a character that not too many people remember.....or so the powers that be expect.....and it's an interesting situation they have found themselves in. An old character.....a familiar face.....connections to Bo, Hope Victor......they could do anything. I'm down with it. lol Let's see how they roll. :)
IA the thing is they never really showed what being buried alive did to her.I mean that would have to be a traumtic experience.Heck even they had Stephanie popping pills for a bit after her experience.It always kinda annoyed me when she got her meomory back.It was more focused on her love for Bo and Lawrence.I know its because CC and MS was leaving the show.But they had her acting like it was nothing.At the very least the girl should be clausaphobic.I also always wondered what they told Nikki how that Carly was still alive.Talk about a kid that should be screwed up.LOL

Dr. Chip

Maybe we'll see Carly arriving from the viewpoint of a shaky, hand-held camera. Then when she gets to University Hospital, the camera will stop shaking and the picture will improve. That'd make me laugh!

james0479
Member Avatar

Dr. Chip
Aug 20 2009, 09:54 AM
Maybe we'll see Carly arriving from the viewpoint of a shaky, hand-held camera. Then when she gets to University Hospital, the camera will stop shaking and the picture will improve. That'd make me laugh!
LMAO.....Now, that's hysterical. Awww I feel bad for GL tho even though I'm not a viewer. Seems like a great group of people over there that really tried hard. But that comment made me laugh. lol

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply