Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Victoria Rowell LIVE on BuzzWorthy Radio!; Monday, August 24, 2009 at 8 PM E/5 PM P
Topic Started: Aug 20 2009, 12:24 PM (1,646 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

That was a great interview Navvy!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

I have a new quote I should put in my sig: "You can't write for what you don't know!"

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

NavJLee8785
Aug 24 2009, 08:20 PM
I have a new quote I should put in my sig: "You can't write for what you don't know!"
You could replace the Palin one with that.....

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

Rhi
Aug 24 2009, 08:42 PM
NavJLee8785
Aug 24 2009, 08:20 PM
You could replace the Palin one with that.....
And done!

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

I told her on Twitter that "You can't write what you don't know" was the best quote about soap writing I had ever heard, and she tweeted me back. :wave:

Goddess! Goddess I say!

MTSRocks
Member Avatar

You can't write what you don't know is a good quote, albeit contradictory and pretty obvious.

cassie1013

MTSRocks
Aug 24 2009, 10:24 PM
You can't write what you don't know is a good quote, albeit contradictory and pretty obvious.
I agree, but she's implying that there needs to be someone African American, Jewish, or whatever on the staff to get it right. I disagree - I think with proper research, it is possible to get things right. Unfortunately, soaps are lazier now than they were before to do the kind of research necessary.

I love listening to VR, but that's only because it's pure entertainment value. Some of the things she says really make you say WTF! The problem I see with some (or the majority) of her ideas is she thinks the black characters need special treatment because other black people are watching them. What if someone said this about white people? If she had her way, the black characters would be segregated into their own PSA style storyline...isn't the better solution to have all the characters mixing on the canvas as equals?

MTSRocks
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Aug 24 2009, 11:50 PM
MTSRocks
Aug 24 2009, 10:24 PM
I agree, but she's implying that there needs to be someone African American, Jewish, or whatever on the staff to get it right. I disagree - I think with proper research, it is possible to get things right. Unfortunately, soaps are lazier now than they were before to do the kind of research necessary.

I love listening to VR, but that's only because it's pure entertainment value. Some of the things she says really make you say WTF! The problem I see with some (or the majority) of her ideas is she thinks the black characters need special treatment because other black people are watching them. What if someone said this about white people? If she had her way, the black characters would be segregated into their own PSA style storyline...isn't the better solution to have all the characters mixing on the canvas as equals?
The funny part is, everybody is different. Even if they brought a black writer on board (which they should), who's to say that her views aren't different from other black people? Everybody has a different upbringing and that's what the writers fail to realize. They try to characterize these people based on their pigment, and tell stereotypical stories straight off of BET. If the writers were smart enough, they'd write them like they should, as everyday people. Look at Shonda Rhimes. Okay, her writing may be debatable but her casts are diverse, and she is a black writer, and yet she doesn't segregate her characters. Why is it so hard for daytime to adapt this concept?

I just don't like the quote, because it makes it feel like only certain people should write about certain stuff because they've experienced it. When people stop making everything about race and using stereotypes from mainstream media, then and only then will we see good television. For instance, Six Feet Under - I've never watched, but from the synopsis that seemed like a show which truly got it. I would also use "Slumdog Millionaire" as an example, which again may be debatable. Now some writers just suck, and should just not write, but for those who truly take their time to tell a story (RESEARCH), then I don't care what/who they are as long as the result is good.

For the record, I don't think VR wants the black characters off in their own PSA storyline at all. I think it's obvious that she's all for equality, and want to see the minority characters mixing up with the rest of the cast. There's no reason why the Winters need special stories, or guest appearances.

ETA: I do think the behind the scenes should be more diverse across the board.
Edited by MTSRocks, Aug 25 2009, 07:12 PM.

cassie1013

^ My internet cut out as I was listening, but I'll give you an example of where she expects the black characters to have their own 'special' story - she brought up the idea of a prayer circle for Lily, saying that that would be the first thing a black family would do. What about just general praying? What is she trying to say, white people don't have prayer circles? To be honest, I don't REALLY know what a prayer circle is (I'm guessing everyone gets together and prays for the person - in this case, Lily). Her rationale behind this is that black women keep the show at #1, so they should have something to relate to. And looking at her big story suggestion, I think the Devon story line was one big PSA for the longest time.

She then proceeded to say that a black family would all be by her bedside, thus discrediting the Lily cancer story by saying that random grandparents - whom I've never even SEEN on the show - would be at her bedside. So, what, chinese people don't sit at their sick childs bedside too? It's not just black characters that get the shaft on not having 'family' characters around, it's ALL characters. It's a SOAP - they're on budgets. Why should they break the bank to bring back only BLACK characters for this type of story? They didn't bring Nikki's sister back, considering all the trauma that character has been through the past few years. I don't really see a different between bringing back Casey vs. Lily's grandparents.

And if you REALLY want to look at race, what's Y&R trying to say by having the majority of it's black characters portrayed by mixed actors? That full African Americans aren't attractive? It's just so ridiculous. I'm not discrediting Kristoff, Victoria, Christel, Shemar, Bryton or any that I may have missed...but when it takes me under 10 seconds to count 5 major 'black' characters on the show portrayed by bi-racial actors, it makes you think. And then you have Eva Marcille who's a model, lol.

I completely agree with you that it's not skin color that matters, it's upbringing. 100%. For example, I'm indian, but fourth generation - my great GREAT grandparents came from India! My family is white as can be, my brothers are in fact half, and yet, people still assume I have the typical immigrant parents etc. I have NO connection to indian culture because my family is so assimilated into Canadian culture, starting with my grandparents in their 70s (who think they're white anyway, LoL).
Edited by cassie1013, Aug 26 2009, 02:31 AM.

baybeefaat

^Victoria Rowell herself is half white, so I dont know why she's complaining about black characters being portrayed by mixed actors, when she is one of them. Eva nor Jamia are mixed, and the were hired, but neither of them could act. I was sad when they left that Y&R was losing more AA's, but simply having dark skin doesnt equate to having talent.

I agree with her that Mamie should return, instead of having "guest-star" Della Reese (who I love, but her appearance on the show was really pointless).

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

Quote:

It's not just black characters that get the shaft on not having 'family' characters around, it's ALL characters. It's a SOAP - they're on budgets. Why should they break the bank to bring back only BLACK characters for this type of story? They didn't bring Nikki's sister back, considering all the trauma that character has been through the past few years. I don't really see a different between bringing back Casey vs. Lily's grandparents.

Bringing Casey back or Lillie Belle and Walter or Mamie wouldn't cost them anything. Look at all the pointless day player roles they cast (for plot driven reasons), then drop after a few episodes. It wouldn't cost them any more than those actors and it would benefit the show more. She focused on the black storyline since that was her storyline. I think she's an advocate for family in general.

Also, at least with Nikki whenever she goes through things, she does have a large family on the canvas. She has Katherine (the closest thing she's had to a mother), two children, Victor and other supportive characters who are prominent. With Lily, her family is hardly featured so it seems especially hollow. When Nikki almost died, Casey returned and everyone was at her bedside. Go look back at that story in 1998 and compare it to Lily's vanity cancer. It was gutwrenching, this is garbage.

Quote:

And if you REALLY want to look at race, what's Y&R trying to say by having the majority of it's black characters portrayed by mixed actors? That full African Americans aren't attractive? It's just so ridiculous. I'm not discrediting Kristoff, Victoria, Christel, Shemar, Bryton or any that I may have missed...but when it takes me under 10 seconds to count 5 major 'black' characters on the show portrayed by bi-racial actors, it makes you think. And then you have Eva Marcille who's a model, lol.

Shows tend to avoid dark skinned actors, daytime or primetime. I don't think they purposely seek out biracial people, but just light skinned. Y&R used to show a wide variety of shades, not just with black people but asians and hispanics as well. Now you can definitely see something has changed. It's not even just about skin tone either. Devon is a more urban (but light skinned) black character and they seem afraid of him and his sexuality especially. Lily has been turned into the most white washed valley girl ever and she's heavily featured. Tatyana Ali a proven star is a day player and I know it's only because she's black. They never attempted anything with her.

I don't feel like going into it again, but the show is full of racism with the writing for black characters. It's sad because I never thought it would happen to Y&R. I thought they'd continue towards MORE diversity. Seeing how gays and blacks are handled here, I feel we'll never see Keemo or an Asian characters. It makes me sad.

MTSRocks
Member Avatar

^^^I hate that word "white-washed," it assumes that someone must act accordingly to their ethnicity (although I DO see your point). The only context I understand the meaning behind the word is when somebody tries to dissolve their heritage because they are ashamed of it, and try vigorously to adapt and fit into mainstream society. However, I just call that self-hate.

For the most part I agree with your post. It boggles my mind why television refuses to show dark skinned actors, and don't even begin to tell me they're not many of them. Once again, another reason why I tend to hate Network Television.

ETA: I also feel like in most parts Americans have no identity, with the whole "BEING AMERICAN" mantra. I also hate the term African-American and how Canada is trying to bring in African-Canadian its a blatantly ignorant. Why would you call a black person from say St. Lucia, African American? It's dumb and causes further segregation, especially in America where everyone is supposed to be united (which is what I loved about Obama, breaking that down)
Edited by MTSRocks, Aug 27 2009, 06:53 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply