Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; Week of 8/24 - 8/28
Topic Started: Aug 24 2009, 01:28 PM (5,389 Views)
Ellie

DAYS OF OUR LIVES
8/24 - 8/28

Discuss. :smile:

Classic clip: Nancy tells Craig that Chloe is her daughter...

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

Today's show annoyed me to no end with the total Ransom rip off. I mean, even with Bo standing there showing the briefcase filled with millions to the three bad guys trying to figure out what to do. The whole rip off thing is really ruining my enjoyment of this show, which is sad because the actors are doing a really good job.

I am kind of liking the Chad/Mia angle much better than the Mia/Will angle. Thought their trivia was a little lame though.

Loved that Dr. Baker's shirt matched the plant in his room perfectly.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Bo is really pissing me off right now. So if they pay the ransom Ciara will die. But doesn't Bo realize that if they don't pay there is even a bigger chance she will die? I am totally on Hope's side in this.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

I dont mind the teens but it was nice getting a break from them.

Even the lady kidnapper is starting to grow on me. LOL when Dean was shouting with the cigarrette dangling from his mouth. They sure aren't sublte with their clues.

KA is giving great performances but man is she's a bitch to Bo when the going gets rough.

I'm ok with the baby switch reveal never happening but I cant stand this going round and round with Nicole stewing in her own juices evertime she turns around. And boy do those little girls like Ari or did Ari pinch her to get her to cry like that when the nurse took her away both times.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

Well, you obviously haven't seen the movie "Ransom." ;)

I find the rip-off annoying because it removes whatever suspense might exist. Granted, I'm a spoiler-ho so I generally know what is going to happen. But, I usually don't know exactly how it will happen. In this case, I do. Thus, there is not a tiny bit of suspense in this whole thing. It's all just about waiting for FancyJudgmentalFace to blow up at Bo again. Yay!!

I'm totally confused about Rafe's "ah hah" moment at the clinic. It wasn't a secret (to him) that Sami gave birth at the clinic was it? And I don't think it was ever a secret that Nicole allegedly gave birth there, since EJ went there after he found out. And, the show has made an excessively big deal about how Grace and Sydney were born on the same day. So, it hardly seemed necessary for Rafe to get a secret informant and access the clinic files to put those pieces of the puzzle together. But, maybe I'm missing something.

I can't tell you how much I don't care about Will, Mia, and Chad.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

i don't get the rafe/sarah convo either. rafe kept making this huge deal about sami being seen, but not being in the records and vice versa with nicole. he knows sami wasn't on record and that no birth certificate was filed. he also knows that sami went to the clinic without any planning involved, because they were on the run and she was hidden away in the convent for the time being. so that doesn't back up his idea that nicole knew sami was giving birth at the clinic and went there with nefarious plans for grace. i guess there is a disconnect with me because for one, rafe is finding out info he should already know and two, he's taking this supposedly 'new' info and leaping to some mighty big conclusions with it. yes, he's close to the truth, but in my mind, he doesn't really have the evidence to assume that nicole did something to grace. i know i've said this a million times, but today once again made it painfully obvious that rafe is the wrong person to oust nicole. plus his line about how he knows nicole is capable of harming a child is a little overboard. he doesn't even know the woman for heaven's sake.

i totally disagree with hope. again, i just wish bo would give her her way so she'd shut up for once. seeing her pull out her patented 'i will never forgive you for this' is so tiresome. they're really pushing a future justin/hope pairing. i thought bo's comment to justin about him getting too close to all this was a little weird, but it's also a ltitle weird that justin hasn't left hope's side in the last week.

sounds like stefano is going to have baker killed. i'm shocked that nicole hasn't said anything yet to stefano about the infamous letter baker wrote, but i suppose that will come back later to bite her if the writers haven't forgotten about it.
Edited by luvpumpkns, Aug 24 2009, 05:06 PM.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

luvpumpkns
Aug 24 2009, 05:05 PM
i don't get the rafe/sarah convo either. rafe kept making this huge deal about sami being seen, but not being in the records and vice versa with nicole. he knows sami wasn't on record and that no birth certificate was filed. he also knows that sami went to the clinic without any planning involved, because they were on the run and she was hidden away in the convent for the time being. so that doesn't back up his idea that nicole knew sami was giving birth at the clinic and went there with nefarious plans for grace. i guess there is a disconnect with me because for one, rafe is finding out info he should already know and two, he's taking this supposedly 'new' info and leaping to some mighty big conclusions with it. yes, he's close to the truth, but in my mind, he doesn't really have the evidence to assume that nicole did something to grace. i know i've said this a million times, but today once again made it painfully obvious that rafe is the wrong person to oust nicole. plus his line about how he knows nicole is capable of harming a child is a little overboard. he doesn't even know the woman for heaven's sake.
Glad it's not just me who can't figure out what was so "wow!" about that info, all of which I would have thought he already had. And ITA that he has no reason to say Nicole would harm a child, particularly because (1) he has no evidence she ever has, in fact, hurt any child, including when she was previously a stepmother to Will, Sami's child and (2) supposedly what made him so suspicious is that Nicole was too devastated over Grace's death. And exactly what long-range plan did Nicole set in motion? Grace was what, six months old almost at the time of her death? She had been in Sami's care for that time frame, not Nicole's, so what exactly is it he think Nicole did? I would agree that taking a child from her mother is hurtful to the child, but I think Rafe has something physical in mind, and Sydney is, as far as we know, in perfect health and Nicole had no access to Grace around the time of her death, so I don't get it.

I don't really care that it's Rafe (if it is) who unravels the whole thing, but I stupidly hoped the way he did it might at least make some sense. I have got to stop giving this show the benefit of the doubt.
Edited by Paxton, Aug 24 2009, 05:17 PM.

esp13
Member Avatar

This whole "aha" moment would have made a lot more sense if Rafe had discovered there was no record of Nicole giving birth at the clinic, or actually, that the records were incomplete or doctored. Then he would have reason to question why it's common knowledge that Nicole did give birth there, but the records don't back it up or at least seem suspicious in some way. That, in turn, would logically lead to Rafe investigating the circumstances surrounding Sydney's birth. But, this makes it seem like the show just forgot that it was no secret that Nicole gave birth there. The monkeys strike again.

jane1978

esp13
Aug 24 2009, 05:22 PM
This whole "aha" moment would have made a lot more sense if Rafe had discovered there was no record of Nicole giving birth at the clinic, or actually, that the records were incomplete or doctored. Then he would have reason to question why it's common knowledge that Nicole did give birth there, but the records don't back it up or at least seem suspicious in some way. That, in turn, would logically lead to Rafe investigating the circumstances surrounding Sydney's birth. But, this makes it seem like the show just forgot that it was no secret that Nicole gave birth there. The monkeys strike again.
But he did almost exactly what you say. He went there knowing Nicol had her baby there, met a sister who helped Sami during the delivery so he knows for sure she was working that night, yet the sister doesnīt remember anything about assisting Nicol even if her delivery record is in the computer. He even told Ari later itīs a very small clinic and that sister was working with Baker for an entire night, itīs simply impossible she wouldnīt remember Nicol if she really had her baby there that night. IMO, it makes perfect sense. Now, his theory about Nicol wanting to hurt Samiīs baby is a little weird, but he knows EJ was there (because the sister remembers him) and he knows Nicol never delivered her baby there, so she had to have some different reason.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

well, part of the problem is that he told arianna that he is suspcious because nicole, ej and sami never ran into one another. as he knows himself, sami took off with grace and teresa not very long after she gave birth...so why would sami and nicole have seen one another, especially if nicole was there legitimately--nicole and ej would have been there for longer than just a couple of hours, unlike sami.

another problem i have with this nurse story is that she actually isn't the nurse we saw working with sami and baker that night. the woman attending during sami's birth was an older woman, not this girl we saw talking to rafe. even if i forget all of that and assume she was the only person around, why would she remember ej and sami, but not nicole? nicole was there the night sami gave birth. she was actually confronted by a nurse when she was holding grace/sydney and was questioned as to why she was there handling the babies. of course baker rushed in and smoothed things over, but nicole was seen at the clinic that night by a member of the nursing staff.
also, like someone else said above, i don't understand why rafe is certain that nicole is lying about giving birth at the clinic just because a nurse he met online doesn't remember her. these are all events that happened over six months ago. her not remembering a specific patient on a specific night of the year is par for the course, in my mind.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

esp13
Aug 24 2009, 04:53 PM

I find the rip-off annoying because it removes whatever suspense might exist. Granted, I'm a spoiler-ho so I generally know what is going to happen. But, I usually don't know exactly how it will happen. In this case, I do. Thus, there is not a tiny bit of suspense in this whole thing. It's all just about waiting for FancyJudgmentalFace to blow up at Bo again. Yay!!
Rip-off, rip-off, rip-off. That's all I hear, seriously. Yes this is like Ransom, and that movie is a remake of another movie also called Ransom, from 1956. And that film was based on a popular episode of "The United States Steel Hour" titled "Fearful Decision," which aired in 1954.

The United States Steel Hour (1954)
Ransom! (1956)
Ransom (1996)
Days of our Lives (2009)

Do you really expect a show that's been on for over 40 years to come up with something original that has never been done before?
Edited by Sindacco, Aug 24 2009, 06:15 PM.

esp13
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Aug 24 2009, 06:14 PM
esp13
Aug 24 2009, 04:53 PM

Rip-off, rip-off, rip-off. That's all I hear, seriously. Yes this is like Ransom, and that movie is a remake of another movie also called Ransom, from 1956. And that film was based on a popular episode of "The United States Steel Hour" titled "Fearful Decision," which aired in 1954.

The United States Steel Hour (1954)
Ransom! (1956)
Ransom (1996)
Days of our Lives (2009)

Do you really expect a show that's been on for over 40 years to come up with something original that has never been done before?
Expect? No. Hope? Well that springs eternal I suppose.

In any case, the problem is not that the show didn't do something original in the first place, the problem is that the show didn't do (or certainly hasn't thus far done) anything remotely original with the ripped off material. As I said above, following the other storyline detail for detail makes it lose any sense of suspense for me. There are certainly ways to borrow basic storyline ideas and add new twists to the whole thing. Thus far, the show hasn't done that.

So, I'm going to keep calling it a rip-off because that's exactly what it is. It's not similar, it's a duplicate and that bugs me and so I post about it. If it doesn't bother you, that's fantastic.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

I get Hope wants her daughter back,but man she was a bitch today,getting mad at Bo for having her go on camera and ask people for help to find the people who took her kid,nice mom,what kind of mom doesn't want help finding her kidnapped kid,I like Hope,SOMETIMES,but I am sick to death of the ''Bo you did this,I never wanna see you'' crap that she does whenever Bo does something she doesn't agree with.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I'm sorry but Hope is a bitch. I hated the way she treated Bo. I know its her daughter in danger, and there is a conflict of opinion, but I'm so over her. When things get tough, she always blames everything on him and threatens to leave him.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Oh, and that ending with Justin and Hope being close better not be foreshadowing. I like Justin as a character and I don't want him ruined by connecting with Hope.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

☼ Jinx ☼
Aug 24 2009, 09:09 PM
I'm sorry but Hope is a bitch. I hated the way she treated Bo.
What about how Bo is treating Hope??? He's not giving her the light of day! One minute he's talking about them having to be on the same page & working together to bring Ciara home & the next minute he's off making a speech to the media turning the ransom into a reward! He's acting worse than Hope! I support what Hope's doing! there's no way that Bo could be 100% sure that Ciara would've died at the exchange... he's assuming that his vision must be true & isn't letting anyone change his mind!

Manda1

Paxton
Aug 24 2009, 05:12 PM
luvpumpkns
Aug 24 2009, 05:05 PM
Glad it's not just me who can't figure out what was so "wow!" about that info, all of which I would have thought he already had. And ITA that he has no reason to say Nicole would harm a child, particularly because (1) he has no evidence she ever has, in fact, hurt any child, including when she was previously a stepmother to Will, Sami's child and (2) supposedly what made him so suspicious is that Nicole was too devastated over Grace's death. And exactly what long-range plan did Nicole set in motion? Grace was what, six months old almost at the time of her death? She had been in Sami's care for that time frame, not Nicole's, so what exactly is it he think Nicole did? I would agree that taking a child from her mother is hurtful to the child, but I think Rafe has something physical in mind, and Sydney is, as far as we know, in perfect health and Nicole had no access to Grace around the time of her death, so I don't get it.

I don't really care that it's Rafe (if it is) who unravels the whole thing, but I stupidly hoped the way he did it might at least make some sense. I have got to stop giving this show the benefit of the doubt.
Rafe was totally out of the picture being tortured by the killer the night Sami gave birth and he wasn't told much more detail about that from Sami other than she used an alias. I don't believe Rafe entered this investigation knowing that Nicole 'gave birth' at the same remote clinic as Sami I'm sure she expected her to have a private room at the best hospital being a Dimera - so it makes sense to me why he would be surprised.

Also Rafe watched Sami trying to 'leave' witness protection on too many occasions and rant and go balistic when she realised that Nicole 'the criminal' and I quote who was accused of murdering her ex-husband, she was currently arrested for attempted murder was being step mom to Johnny etc. Sami went on and on about their bad relationship and how evil Nicole was.

Rafe saw Nicole bawling at Grace's grave! Now you would wonder why Nicole arch enemy of Sami would be devastated at her enemies baby's death? He is going on a hunch, he doesn't know what is off with the situation he just knows that something is, hence all the guesses about what Nicole could be up to. There's the whole Mia bit which he has pieces to but doesn't yet know that the clues are connected. It is a deeply complex number of 'happenings' that Nicole was engaged with to get this baby switch done and I doubt Rafe will unravel it all. Others will start unravelling other parts I think.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I really can't wait until Dr. Baker is off my screen. I hated the character when he first came on, and I still hate him.

I'm still enjoying Stefano and Nicole working together. They're a match made in hell. I wouldn't mind a Stefano and Nicole pairing. after Nicole's secret is exposed and EJ dumps her lying ass.

I don't get Rafe's conclusion either. I feel like he hasn't solved a damn thing, but apparently he has? :shrug:

I really like Dean and Brenda, but there's no point in getting invested in either character because they won't be here long, not with these writers. Both have staying power, but it's not going to happen. They're only here to serve a plot purpose, not be characters. After the plot point is over, so are they. Sad really. :shame:

I'm already rooting for Justin and Hope. :cheer: And I was one of those that said Bo and Hope don't need another person coming between them. However, Wally Kurth and Kristian Alfonso are great together, and I would be okay with Hope going to Justin if she and Bo's marriage ends.

Without the visions, this is a great storyline and one that I really enjoy. It's when the visions become a part of the storyline that my eyes go a-rolling and I become annoyed.

Add me to those that find Mia better with Chad than Will. At first, I didn't think Mia had much of a connection with either character, but after a few scenes of just Chad and Mia the last few episodes, I'm becoming a fan of theirs. I wouldn't mind Chad and Mia being endgame, Chad turning into the good guy in the triangle, while Will, scorned by Mia's going back to Chad, decides to make their lives hell. He'll then prove that he's Lucas and Sami's son.

Oh! And why did Tad have that sappy love song on his iPod? :lol:
Edited by DrewHamilton, Aug 24 2009, 11:54 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Aug 24 2009, 11:53 PM
I really like Dean and Brenda, but there's no point in getting invested in either character because they won't be here long, not with these writers. Both have staying power, but it's not going to happen. They're only here to serve a plot purpose, not be characters. After the plot point is over, so are they. Sad really. :shame:
I really like Brenda, as well (Dean, however, does nothing for me). Obviously, it won't happen, but I think she'd be a great permanent addition to the show. And this show is desperately in need of female characters in her age range.

Quote:

Without the visions, this is a great storyline and one that I really enjoy. It's when the visions become a part of the storyline that my eyes go a-rolling and I become annoyed.

That's exactly how I feel.
Edited by Mason, Aug 25 2009, 12:00 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Aug 24 2009, 11:53 PM

Does the show really need more characters though (especially new ones)? I like Brenda and Dean and their portrayers but you can't keep every character that comes onscreen forever. There are short-term roles for a reason. Sometimes that is all a character is meant to be is short-term. That is the case here. They both have a role, they serve it, and the show moves on. The show is doing such a good job casting that they have people wishing everyone casted should remain on. Days really needs to limit the short-term roles for a bit though. In the past 3 years, they've had way too many. However, I don't necessarily mind it only because we get to see some great actors and actresses and it's realistic. In real life, people pop in and out of people's lives. Not everyone sticks around. Not every bad guy can get redeemed. It's just the way it is.

Totally agree about Justin and Hope. To me, it's been clear since Wally came back what they wanted to do. Also, is Wally really recurring like Corday said he was? He's been on every day since he came back! There is great chemistry there and considering the history between the characters, it works. Plus, fans like Justin and I think that makes a possible pairing work even more.

I also agree that this story works so much better without the visions and I'm happy with how they've been used so far. We got them alot in the beginning but they are no longer a major player in this now. I like how they laid this out too. Even without the visions, Bo has his reasons for feeling the way he does and Hope has her reasons. I can see both sides. Is it a ripoff of a movie? Yes. But, as Sindacco says, what isn't a ripoff nowadays? Most movies that come out nowadays are. True, the show could've added something new and fresh but I guess the visions makes it somewhat new and fresh so there you go.

I love Nicole and Stefano. I may be the only one but, to me, the vibe between them is very much like Stefano and Kristen. It's very father/daughter like. I like it and hope it continues.

Love Dr. Baker. I really wish he could stick around but his time is up, sadly.

It's sad how the SPD could not hire Rafe, who is figuring out the baby switch mess 10X faster then a Salem cop can figure out a crime has been committed. Remind me again why the SPD would not hire Rafe? I guess you have to be a Brady to get anywhere in that department. No wonder why Dean is pissed...

I do like Rafe and Arianna's scenes though. I will miss Felisha. She really become more consistent in her performances over the last several weeks, even opposite Eric Martsolf.

I also have to say that this teen set SUCKS. Seriously, I could care less. This is the first time in years that I can't muster almost any emotion about an aspect of this show. Sure, I like Dylan Patton's Will and Tad (and the actor who plays him). I also like Taylor Sprietler as Mia (her and Patton rocked during Grace's death) but I just feel like this story is nothing but filler. There is no focus on it whatsoever. When there is focus, it all feels forced and generic. Taylor has sucked as Mia since Grace's death, the only exception being when she acts opposite adult characters like she did Nicole today. Ari tends to help her raise her game anyway. Then again, Dylan Patton does better with the older characters too. Can someone please tell these teens to stay alive in all their scenes? When together, they all are lifeless. It doesn't help that Chad looks about 8 years older then Will, Mia, and Tad. Miscasts all around. Gotta also love how Days is trying to cover up their lazy excuse for character naming? Calling Tad "T" or "T-Unit?" Really, Days? Between that crap and the horrible dialogue for these teens, I feel like OLTL's dialogue team is scripting these scenes. Ugh.

Did like Will out looking for Ciara though. I enjoy little things like that.

Not a bad episode today.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply