Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; Week of 8/24 - 8/28
Topic Started: Aug 24 2009, 01:28 PM (5,360 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

Kenny
Aug 29 2009, 08:00 PM
OMG. What happened to the Days opening?
Tomlin.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Mason
Aug 29 2009, 08:49 PM
Kenny
Aug 29 2009, 08:00 PM
OMG. What happened to the Days opening?
Tomlin.
Ugh. It's such a hack job. It doesn't flow at all.

Mason
Member Avatar

It sounds as if someone's holding a gun to poor Mac Carey's head, forcing him to spit out "Like sands through the hourglass..." as fast as he can, before the commercials start. I hate it.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Cupcake06
Aug 29 2009, 02:21 PM
Mason
Aug 29 2009, 02:00 PM
Lindsay Hartley is so much better than Felisha Terrell. For the first time, I can actually see myself potentially coming to like Arianna, instead of just being bored whenever she's onscreen.
Same here. And I tried to like Arianna, and Brady with Arianna. Just couldn't.

Well I thought she (LH) was great, especially considering it was only her first day and hasn't really acted at all in the past year and a half. Like that she never just memorizes and reads her lines, no matter how basic they are. It's little things she does that just make me love her so much! So i'm looking forward to seeing what happens next, and hope she gets even better with time. And that's my lovefest for the day. :wub:

Oh. Didn't think of Passions, Theresa, or Theresa/Ethan one bit while watching, either.

I agree,I already saw this Mondays show,all I will say is Lindsay Rocks.

Days4Life

I would like to comment on the Kate/Dan scenes, but I was so hypnotized by his orange skin and yellow hair that I have no idea what the actual dialogue was. He's a good looking man with a great body--lay off the tanning and hair bleach! It isn't needed and detracts from his scenes. Really, I'm going to have to start wearing sunglasses when Dan is on the screen.

I much prefer Lindsey Hartley in the Arianna role. The former actress was very stiff and robotic, while LH is much more relaxed and natural. Maybe I can finally get into her storyline now. It was good that her first scenes were with GG; they obviously have a nice family chemistry going already.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Arianna is still boring, but I love Lindsay Hartley. She's developed so much as an actress since 1999.

It was so weird seeing her in scenes with Eric Martsolf and Galen Gering, LoL. It's kind of strange seeing them all together again. Even more strange was seeing Lindsay play someone who's not obsessed with Ethan Crane or yapping about fate every five minutes.

Anyway, I think they should pair Arianna with EJ. Lindsay and James would be hot together.

Alligato
Member Avatar

You know, Kenny, I was watching EJ's souless, bitter, whiny portrayal on Friday with Lexie pathetically trying to convince EJ (and me) that he might still be hung up on Sami, and it got me thinking...

...with his constant "she kept my daughter from me, I'll make her pay" bitch about Sami (he still hasn't made her pay yet) and his perma-scowl for Nicole, I feel that EJ needs a reinvention of that suave, cool, sassy character that he once was.

What a better way to slap some spark into him than give him a hot, bad girl type character like Arianna to flirt and fall in love with? I'm with ya! Anything to bring back EJ!

Marian

I'm very frustrated with the fact that the more time goes by, the more they're making it clear that EVERYONE else will piece the baby switch thing together, EXCEPT EJ! It would have been MUCH more exciting if EJ found out and made Stefano and Nicole pay for what they did, while they remained oblivious to his knowing. They've completely ruined his character. The old EJ would have done some digging after Grace died or after Nicole starting acting suspicious, or when he wanted to get Rafe out of the picture or whatever and would have overheard conversations or something (e.g. between Mia and Brady)... EJ is just not being EJ and I think JS knows that and that's why his acting is off... Bring the old EJ back!

sungrey

Please, Kenny, please! If she mentions Brady's name or says the word "fate" every five minutes I'll change the channel! lol

Sounds like Lindsay's second show is better. I wasn't blown away by the first show, but she needs time to grow into the character. I can't really say much about her acting in July 1999 because the acting on Passions was like a third-grade play. :)
Edited by sungrey, Aug 30 2009, 01:04 AM.

Dr. Chip

I never cared for PASSIONS or Lindsay Hartley's character, but I think she's a good recast for Arianna. Felicia had no personality and could put me to sleep. Lindsay's Arianna was relaxed, seemed to connect easily with the other actors, and is a much more believable manager of Brady's Pub. A manager needs some degree of confidence and boldness, and the other actress just didn't communicate that at all.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I enjoyed Lindsay's first day..Finally i can get interested in the character of Arianna...

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason
Aug 29 2009, 08:58 PM
It sounds as if someone's holding a gun to poor Mac Carey's head, forcing him to spit out "Like sands through the hourglass..." as fast as he can, before the commercials start. I hate it.
I broached the subject, but you said it PERFECTLY, Mason. THAT'S exactly what it sounds like. I've been meaning to come up with the right words. But you nailed it. And it sucks.
Quote Post Goto Top

Tori

Unless they want this to be Passions all over again. They need to put Brady with Nicole and perhaps they should put Arianna with Phillip! Or stick her with Lucas so she can break his heart because she really loves his brother Phillip.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Tripp
Aug 26 2009, 09:36 PM
Kenny
Aug 26 2009, 04:16 AM
There's a pedophile on Days now? Lord have mercy...

Has Lindsay Hartley started airing yet?
Yea, his name is Daniel, Philip, Kyle.
I don't remember Daniel and Philip ever having sex with someone underage, maybe you know something I don't.

mirabella

JERSoapsFan
Aug 30 2009, 03:56 AM
Mason
I broached the subject, but you said it PERFECTLY, Mason. THAT'S exactly what it sounds like. I've been meaning to come up with the right words. But you nailed it. And it sucks.
Judi, the lady who does the promos tweeted yesterday that they are going to go back to the old opening but she didn't know the exact date. Here is her tweet........

"They are going back to the old opening...just discussed in a meeting...not sure of the date yet"

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Lindsey Hartley did exactly what I knew she would...brought life to the character. Felisha was slowly improving and was finally doing little things to help the character but she should've been doing that all along. I know this was her first big job but I've seen even the worse actors at least try to do little things to make their character interesting. Felisha was also awkward and uncomfortable with Eric Martsolf a majority of the time, especially in the bikini scene a few weeks ago. Lindsey brought more to the character in one episode then Felisha did her whole entire run. Plus, she didn't play her like Theresa. She showed she can play a completely different character. I can't express enough how much I adore her. She single-handedly kept me watching Passions a few years longer then I would've without her.

Did anyone notice the dialogue in Lindsey's first scene? The way Brady asked if she would be at the Pub for awhile and Arianna responded that she would be there until closing? That felt very tongue in cheek to me.

Lindsey and Galen still have that great sibling chemistry. I know Galen likes her and all but this does hurt him because Lindsey swallows him whole in scenes. Even in their simple scenes together on Friday, she dominated the scene. Galen reminds me alot of Nadia Bjorlin during her first run when she wasn't totally awful and showed signs of being decent. I like Galen and think he can be ok but he falls into bad habits and never seems to expand the character or take chances. He just plays it safe. Nadia used to do the same and it's boring. Galen has more in him then that.

Lindsey and Eric still have the chemistry too. Having watched Monday's already, it's definitely there. Eric and Galen both seemed happy to have her and Lindsey was very comfortable.

As for the rest of the episode, pretty good. I suggested putting Mia and the teens in more scenes with older characters and I got it. Taylor really comes alive as Mia outside the teen set. She felt more comfortable and natural in her scenes with EJ and Brady, just like she does with Nicole. The teens need more scenes outside their own story. I think it will only help their acting.

The Kate/Daniel scenes were intense. Lauren and Shawn were fantastic.

Glad the Chloe stuff is finally moving again. Nice seeing Craig too. Kevin Spirtas looks great. I didn't mind Craig being ok with the situation with Chloe. He's a doctor. He knows how dire the situation is. Lucas hinted at what Chloe did with Daniel and they both clearly didn't feel the need to focus on that at the moment with the big decision that had to be made.

Enjoyed Sami/Nicole. Good ending too with the Baker drama, Sami going off after Rafe, and Nicole calling Stefano and EJ overhearing.

About the opening...I made a comment to the promo producer on twitter regarding it. The opening is such an important part of Days history. They need to get the old opening back and cut something else. I don't want to lose the trivia either. Why not get rid of the daily previews or air them along the side during the credits? The opening in it's current form is trash. I'm sure it was Tomlin's idea but I blame Corday since he handles the music for the show and I'm sure he handled the shortening of the opening. The opening could've been shortened in a much better way.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

mirabella
Aug 30 2009, 01:09 PM
JERSoapsFan
Aug 30 2009, 03:56 AM
Mason
Judi, the lady who does the promos tweeted yesterday that they are going to go back to the old opening but she didn't know the exact date. Here is her tweet........

"They are going back to the old opening...just discussed in a meeting...not sure of the date yet"
That was probably in response to me tweet about it. They must have finally realized people were angry LOL.

Either that or they just did the trivia for the summer, which is what I thought was the case early on when they started it.

ETA: Yep. Just checked the promo producer said they are going back to the opening prior to the shortened version. I'm guessing the trivia will be gone, although I wish they would keep it.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Aug 30 2009, 01:15 PM.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

The LH clip from Passions showing Theresa spilling shit on Ethan is another reminder of why Brianna w/ FT was dead from the get go.

The fact that there are 3 exPassions stars doesnt necessarily mean Days is turning into Passions 2.0. LH and EM could still work together without it being Theressa and Ethan all over again if done right. Richard Gere and Diane Lane have made 3 movies together (although the last one sucked) and so have other actors.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Halloween Family
Aug 30 2009, 09:56 PM
The LH clip from Passions showing Theresa spilling shit on Ethan is another reminder of why Brianna w/ FT was dead from the get go.

The fact that there are 3 exPassions stars doesnt necessarily mean Days is turning into Passions 2.0. LH and EM could still work together without it being Theressa and Ethan all over again if done right. Richard Gere and Diane Lane have made 3 movies together (although the last one sucked) and so have other actors.
Exactly.

LH is already proving that. She's playing Arianna as a different character. If she were trying to make her like Theresa, then there would be an issue . Same with EM, who is much better on Days then he ever was on Passions. As long as the writers write Brady and Arianna different from Ethan and Theresa (which they already are) and as long as EM and LH play them differently then Ethan and Theresa, it's all good.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

I hope they dont lock Arianna into a romantic pairing right off the bat. It seems when they do that then they let character development go by the way side. I know Jack D. was around before Jen but something happened to that character and now whenever Jack is mentioned as a possibility of coming back people say 'oh I can't imagine Jack without Jen'. I think one of the reasons why EM's Brady has been doing well is because he's had other things to do than romance the ladies but the fires are still stoked with the possibilities so there's a little bit of balance.

As for the Passionification of Days, I really don't see it too much. What I see is a heavily JER influenced show that really has nothing to do with the actors but more with technique with the fake outs, red herrings and pushing the sexual limits. Really, even when JER wasn't on the show he still had a major impact on the story telling even during Hogan's reign. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if more of the Passion stars came on the canvas because I see them as a legacy like a fraternity.

IMO last summer was really bad and not just because the s/l's weren't going my way, but because the show seemed schizoid and held together with bubble gum and spit. At least now there's a little bit of cohesion. The dialogue is still spotty but when it's good it's good. They have also taken some chances that have given the actors something to draw deep within themselves like the sex offender stuff and showing EJ grieving over Grace's bodybag. I do hope that they move more towards character driven s/l's but as long as I see the actors/characters connecting with one another and conveying something I as an audience member can relate to even if I am not 16 years old or have had a miscarriage then the show will be good in my eyes. Dont get me wrong, there's still a lot of boring things/pairings going on and lots of room for improvement but there's still hope.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply