Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The 36th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards!; FULL LIST OF WINNERS
Topic Started: Aug 30 2009, 03:13 PM (26,160 Views)
Ellie

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2009/08/daytime-emmy-ratings-are-in-new-low-in.html

From Broadcasting & Cable:

The 36th Daytime Emmy Awards hit another record low on the CW Sunday night, a year after delivering its lowest ratings on ABC in June 2008. This year's show delivered a 0.5/2 from 7-10 p.m. and averaged 2.2 million viewers. It scored a 1.6/3 in households. That's a dramatic decrease even from last years' 4.1/8 household number and 5.3 million viewers.

The Daytime Emmys have steadily declined throughout the decade, drawing a fraction of the viewers that turned to it in the mid-90s. The high-water mark of the last two decades came in 1993 when the awards show averaged a 16.4 household rating and 21.9 million viewers.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I read on SON that it did better then that.

I wonder which source is right?

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

Quote:

It all seemed so wrong. From the days of radio thru the digital era, and without ever ceasing production, GL brought compelling entertainment to its fans. It was there during the Great Depression, the Second World War, the Korean War, the Cold War, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Vietnam War, the assassination of a president, years of riots in our cities and calamitous protests on our campuses, Watergate, the resignation of a president, multiple recessions and energy crises and natural disasters, the Gulf War, 9/11 and the ongoing wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, among other national and international hardships and challenges. After that titanic trajectory, the circumstances under which GL was made to take its final bow were insulting to all of the people who ever worked on the show and all who ever listened to and/or watched it.

It's hard to believe that GL was there during all those trials and tribulations of the company. It makes the tribute even more disappointing (and perhaps even the finale as well).

I completely agreed on everything he said about GL and the entire telecast in general. Didn't catch the second performance from Williams, but I can see where that should have been taken out to give more time to B&B's win and GL's tribute.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Just looked and apparently those numbers are right as the earlier numbers were inflated, it seems..

I expected that though. No doubt the CW did too. I mean, it's the unofficial last week of summer. People are away. It was stupid to do them during this time. They need to move them back to May or June and consider moving them to daytime. This was far too late and at the completely wrong time of the year.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Although it's the lowest rated Daytime Emmys, it's also the highest rated Sunday night CW has ever had. Besides, it's on the CW, people. It's the network of tweens and teens who think "OMG" is actually a complete sentence.

esp13
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Aug 31 2009, 01:47 AM
Tamara is one to make subtle digs when she doesn't like something. She did at GH. She never did any of that with Days. I can actually see Kenny's point about it not feeling like home to her but how would it? She was there for 6 months. The fact that she was that well-liked and seemed to love the cast just as much tells me she would've felt it was home had she stayed.
Tamara did make subtle digs about the writing at Days. There was an interview she did with Stephen Nichols for some Australian soap magazine where it was clear (at least to me) that she was not thrilled with the way the Ava/Steve/Kayla storyline was just dropped and she was suddenly moved into John and Marlena's storyline. I got the feeling, although this was more subtle, that she wasn't thrilled with the immediate redemption of the character either.

Given all that was going on in the summer of 2008, I totally understand why Tamara got out of Salem as quickly as possible.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

esp13
Aug 31 2009, 12:32 PM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 31 2009, 01:47 AM
Tamara is one to make subtle digs when she doesn't like something. She did at GH. She never did any of that with Days. I can actually see Kenny's point about it not feeling like home to her but how would it? She was there for 6 months. The fact that she was that well-liked and seemed to love the cast just as much tells me she would've felt it was home had she stayed.
Tamara did make subtle digs about the writing at Days. There was an interview she did with Stephen Nichols for some Australian soap magazine where it was clear (at least to me) that she was not thrilled with the way the Ava/Steve/Kayla storyline was just dropped and she was suddenly moved into John and Marlena's storyline. I got the feeling, although this was more subtle, that she wasn't thrilled with the immediate redemption of the character either.

Given all that was going on in the summer of 2008, I totally understand why Tamara got out of Salem as quickly as possible.
I don't remember her ever coming out and saying that. I remember SN saying that though. Maybe I'm wrong but, even if I am, she was very vocal about enjoying the show and what was given to her after that. Once things settled in, you could sense how much she enjoyed herself.

Regardless, I have no doubt she would come back if the deal was right (allowing her to do other things) and if the story was there. No matter what happened at Days, what happened at AMC was much worse considering the story she was involved in pissed off and offended alot of people.

Back to the ratings though, I can see The CW thinking this was a success. I can see the Academy disagreeing. It also seems there are rumors of ABC taking back the Emmy's next year. I won't hold my breath on that but considering ABC did pretty well last night, maybe there is something behind that.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Looks like the CW is the new home for the Daytime Emmy's

Nielsen Media Research

36th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards 2.7 million | 18-49 - 0.6/2
Daytime Emmy Awards Live Red Carpet Special 1.2 million | 18-49 - 0.4/1

Edited by Rick, Aug 31 2009, 12:56 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

R!ck
Aug 31 2009, 12:52 PM
Looks like the CW is the new home for the Daytime Emmy's

Nielsen Media Research

36th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards 2.7 million | 18-49 - 0.6/2
Daytime Emmy Awards Live Red Carpet Special 1.2 million | 18-49 - 0.4/1

These are the numbers I originally read on SON so what is with the numbers Ellie posted?

I'm guessing those numbers averaged the Red Carpet show with the awards telecast and that lowered the overall number? If that is the case, the number for the telecast is decent when you consider the time of year it is and that it was on the CW on a Sunday night.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

The numbers posted before are probably overnights. The 2.7 million are the fast nationals

CW Season Average
Sundays: 1.0 million | 18-49 - 0.3
Edited by Rick, Aug 31 2009, 02:24 PM.

Ellie

Sara's Bibel's very interesting behind-the-scenes details and comments on the show:

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/deep-soap/deep-soap-the-bluelight-special-emmys/

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

R!ck
Aug 31 2009, 02:19 PM
The numbers posted before are probably overnights. The 2.7 million are the fast nationals

CW Season Average
Sundays: 1.0 million | 18-49 - 0.3
Isn't CW ending programming on Sundays?

Assuming that is the case, it may not matter to them how well it did on a Sunday night. That being said, the numbers were still good by their standards so they would probably have no issue with keeping it and moving it to another night.

lene
Member Avatar

That's decent ratings. I hope that means the emmys will be aired next year too. :)

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

I had no problem with Tamara Braun winning. In fact, I figured she would a long time ago. She is a wonderful actress.

The one that surprised me was Darin Brooks. I really, really thought Blake Berris would take it.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

The show did better than Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill and 90210 on a typical day so there should be no excuse not to air them next year.

aveRex
Member Avatar

There's nothing that could save face for the tacky production when they cut off the main event. Absolutely nothing. Think about it: I've never, EVER seen a football game, basketball game or any sporting event cut in the last moments of the game. It was beyond disrespectful. If they couldn't negotiate this production to always, always show the final award presentation and acceptance speech, then they should never have aired the show in the first place.

I've not watched CW before this and will not be watching them again.

speedbump210

Quote:

As for GL, I remember that 1997 tribute. That was nice. I would've taken something like that. The one we got was just too short and I would've liked someone on stage to at least speak before it was over.

I disagree with that last part. We haven't had a "cast spokesperson" that the fans have seen and respected since Jerry ver Dorn was fired. And, as much as I would have loved it, Jerry speaking for the GL cast while on OLTL would have been awkward. Irna Phillips is dead and Agnes Nixon is more recognized for creating OLTL and AMC then for writing GL in the late 1950s. Charita Bauer is no longer with us nor are any of the longer-running castmembers. And I sure as Hell wouldn't have wanted Zimmer and Newman doing it, much as I do love them to pieces. I think all we needed was not having it abruptly fade to black right in the middle of the thing and a better choice of clips for the montage (and a better song, but that's just personal taste).

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

OneBadKitty
Aug 31 2009, 03:40 PM
I had no problem with Tamara Braun winning. In fact, I figured she would a long time ago. She is a wonderful actress.

The one that surprised me was Darin Brooks. I really, really thought Blake Berris would take it.
I did too. The only other thing I felt could happen is Brooks and Berris canceling each other out because I felt the GH girls would do that in younger actress. However, I do recall alot of insiders and voters citing Darin's work and appreciating it so it's really no surprise he won, I guess.

~bl~
Member Avatar

Thanks for the links to the articles.

With the GL tribute, like speedbump210 said the show no longer has a spokesperson, as no one stepped into Jerry verDorn's shoes in these last four years. Kim Zimmer and Robert Newman while known to people outside of GL just didn't inherit the job and in 2005 at the holidays they pretty much said how they couldn't take his place. Since they included a Gus and Harley clip in the montage, they shouldn't have had a problem with including clips with other GL alums on other soaps some of whom actually have won Emmy awards that weren't from fan balloting like Judi Evans, Rick Hearst, Vincent Irrizarry, the aforementioned verDorn and Laura Wright. I really just want to know if the montage was cut, as it didn't flow very well with things totally being out of context, and what else was missing in the tribute if the rumors are to be believed. If the montage clips were better meaning sequential focusing more on the past than EW GL. I would have had a voiceover mentioning the social issue stuff as it was pretty impossible to tell what things were and clips where characters were happy. The bow should have been slightly longer, I would have been fine with what was shown. It wasn't the quantity that I had a problem with but the quality.

For me Tamara's win was one of those thanks for being in the industry and doing a great job in three roles wins not an OMG Ava on Days thing. Julie Marie Berman's win was more of a finally situation for me. Was suprised about Darin Brooks.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Ava was a disaster, as was most of the show last year. Kidnapping a bunch of people to her bedroom, wtf.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply