Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; Week of 8/31 - 9/4
Topic Started: Aug 31 2009, 01:18 PM (5,089 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

sungrey
Sep 3 2009, 04:46 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 3 2009, 12:36 PM
sungrey
Sep 3 2009, 12:12 PM
What in God's name is a Cheerios commercial doing on Days IN THE MIDDLE OF A SCENE????
If soaps are to survive, they have to do it. I'm surprised you've never seen it on other soaps before. Product placement is all over the soaps, most of it pretty damn blatant (meaning annoying LOL).

I actually give Days major kudos. It was much better then the one Bo and Hope had in June that got cut from the actual US airing of the show and much better then most of the other product placements they've done. They actually worked it into the scene quite well and Molly and Mark really sold it well. It didn't come off as forced.
As a writer, if a network came to me and said do this product placement, I'd walk. There is no way I'd allow a script to be tarnished like that. But that's just me. For the record, I didn't care for the blatant product placement on GL.

If they're so intent on product placement, have it be one of the actual commercials. I saw something on YouTube last night where Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore were raving about the cleaning power of Joy, all the while in character as Rob and Laura.
SOD actually did an article on product placement about a year ago and in it was several producers who said part of the reason they don't have a choice now is because people skip over commercials. If you tape your shows or DVR them or whatever, you can just skip over the ads. That is why they have to embed them in the show now. It was clear the producers didn't like doing it but that they had no choice because they need the sponsors.

I agree with you that they are annoying but, to me, it's a minor issue and one that I can easily tolerate if it helps the show. There are ways of being clever about it and working product placement in. I thought Days did that well today and I hope they and other soaps continue to handle it that way. If it has to be done, they need to make sure it doesn't come off forced.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Days4Life

They need to turn Lucas bad, really bad. It was fun watching him tell Chloe how much he hated her--it was the most interesting he's been in years. And really, unless he's not got a single brain cell in his head, he has to know Kate is behind this whole thing with Chloe. I know Lucas is usually a clueless idiot, but Kate is being so obvious the way she's buzzing around him, whispering in his ear, doing everything she can to get him to pull the plug, short of actually saying "Kill the lying, cheating bitch!".

I loved when Bo walked out on Hope. She deserved it and more. She KNOWS that a police officer cannot accept a reward for doing his JOB. It's not her money anyway, it's Victor's money. And no matter what Bo had done in the Ciara situation, it would have been wrong in her eyes because Hope never trusts him to do the right thing. Yes, Bo can be a hotheaded control freak but so can she. Even now, with Ciara home safe and sound, Hope won't even entertain the idea that Bo handled the situation correctly. Neither of them should have been on the case anyway, but then we wouldn't have this stupid excuse to break up Bo and Hope again.

Nathan and Melanie are cute together. They handled the Cheerios commercial much better than others in the past so I was okay with it. Maggie and Melanie have a great chemistry in their scenes together; probably the best mother/daughter relationship on the show--and yet they aren't even related!

jane1978

PhoenixRising05
Sep 3 2009, 04:50 PM
sungrey
Sep 3 2009, 04:46 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 3 2009, 12:36 PM
sungrey
Sep 3 2009, 12:12 PM
What in God's name is a Cheerios commercial doing on Days IN THE MIDDLE OF A SCENE????
If soaps are to survive, they have to do it. I'm surprised you've never seen it on other soaps before. Product placement is all over the soaps, most of it pretty damn blatant (meaning annoying LOL).

I actually give Days major kudos. It was much better then the one Bo and Hope had in June that got cut from the actual US airing of the show and much better then most of the other product placements they've done. They actually worked it into the scene quite well and Molly and Mark really sold it well. It didn't come off as forced.
As a writer, if a network came to me and said do this product placement, I'd walk. There is no way I'd allow a script to be tarnished like that. But that's just me. For the record, I didn't care for the blatant product placement on GL.

If they're so intent on product placement, have it be one of the actual commercials. I saw something on YouTube last night where Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore were raving about the cleaning power of Joy, all the while in character as Rob and Laura.
SOD actually did an article on product placement about a year ago and in it was several producers who said part of the reason they don't have a choice now is because people skip over commercials. If you tape your shows or DVR them or whatever, you can just skip over the ads. That is why they have to embed them in the show now. It was clear the producers didn't like doing it but that they had no choice because they need the sponsors.

I agree with you that they are annoying but, to me, it's a minor issue and one that I can easily tolerate if it helps the show. There are ways of being clever about it and working product placement in. I thought Days did that well today and I hope they and other soaps continue to handle it that way. If it has to be done, they need to make sure it doesn't come off forced.
I donīt know this for sure, but I think the money from product placement go directly to Sony/Corday Productions. Itīs the deal between the sponsors and producers, not the network, so if the Cheerios PP helped to pay for the bigger than unusual amount of sets we are seeing this week I welcome it.
Edited by jane1978, Sep 3 2009, 05:25 PM.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Hmmm, never crossed my mind that the sets where light like a vagina (lol) but I do agree sometimes the lighting is really harsh on for some of the actors, especially AZ and MB.

Nathan, Melanie and Maggie were nauseating. They really are laying it on too thick with the poor Melanie stuff. Why cant they just have the huge box of Cheerios as part of the scene as opposed to having all this dialogue around it, it really was a long segment.

I think the hotel manager didn't want the sex tape for blackmail but just to make money off of it by putting it on the net like what happened to Pam Anderson/Tommy Lee.

Bo really cant catch a break when it comes to Hope but I really like this bitchy side of Hope much better than when she's in bitchy cop mode. Maybe because I'm partial to Dean, he's very good looking, I was in her corner for about the reward money. And normally I hate Hope's pseudofeminism, I was cheering her on when she glared at Bo and said something like "dont tell me what to do!" Dean is all kinds of sketchy and shifty, talk about balls asking for a reward for doing his job, lol.

Lucas was great today in his scenes with Chloe and Craig.

Loved Dan in Kate's closet. Maybe the Cheerios plug paid for that walk in closet and Kate's bedroom set, it's nice to see different settings.

six
Member Avatar

Who was it that said they watch Rafe's scenes just to count the crimes he commits? Pulling a gun on an innocent man? WTH does this guy think he is? No wonder he got fired from the FBI.

Will's comments to Sami - ouch. It needed to be said, but when it's the minor child telling the parent, it's a real slap in the face.

Tori

DrewHamilton
Sep 3 2009, 02:01 PM
Loved loved loved Lucas declaring his hatred for Chloe at the start of the episode. Bring on evil Lucas!
I would love Bryan to get some good material for once. Diva of Days is reporting a rumor that BD has been fired. Not sure if it's fact or just rumor though.

shawndbrady1981

ok..ive noticed something the past few weeks...and this week it really hit me..what is with the color purple on this show..everyones wearing a shade of purple..background is all purple....someone fire the set /costume designer!!

Tori

shawndbrady1981
Sep 4 2009, 02:31 PM
ok..ive noticed something the past few weeks...and this week it really hit me..what is with the color purple on this show..everyones wearing a shade of purple..background is all purple....someone fire the set /costume designer!!
Maybe it's color placement. Purple is supposed to be the color of passion perhaps this is a clue that Days is infact turning into Passions!

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

I got a kick out of Rafe today with his crazed look in his eyes.

While I hate how the Nicole/Sami friendship was set up, having Sami watch Syd goes right in line with what I was hoping to happen.

The look on Melanies face was great when she realized what was on the net.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Anyone notice how Mia's letter from Dr.Baker was addressed to 1313 Mockingbird Lane,isnt that the same address as ''The munsters''?

Days4Life

They've used that Mockingbird Lane address for Maggie's house since the days of the SSK.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Days4Life
Sep 4 2009, 07:50 PM
They've used that Mockingbird Lane address for Maggie's house since the days of the SSK.
I hate it. It's so stupid.

Alligato
Member Avatar

As far as product placement, why don't they just show the product like they do in the movies? Have them just eat the Cheerios, or have them just drink the Pepsi, or just have the Midol bottle on the shelf while they do the scene around it, etc.
To throw it in a scene and mention it while in the middle of a story is just eye rolling.

jane1978

Alligato
Sep 4 2009, 10:12 PM
As far as product placement, why don't they just show the product like they do in the movies? Have them just eat the Cheerios, or have them just drink the Pepsi, or just have the Midol bottle on the shelf while they do the scene around it, etc.
To throw it in a scene and mention it while in the middle of a story is just eye rolling.
If DAYS was international blockbuster making huge money and screened in theaters for months (and next on DVD, payTV, normal TV, ...) the sponsors would be happy to pay for merely a lingering shot. But DAYS is watched by cca. 2,8 mil. viewers in US, and I donīt know how much in Canada (I donīt think the Cheerios producer care about other territories) and is aired once and thatīs it. So of course for them to shell the money out the deal has to be much sweeter. With movies the sponsors are begging the producers and happy for anything they get. With DAYS, the producers are the begging ones and willing to do almost anywhere to get the deal.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

i think my biggest problem with rafe wasn't the fact that he threatened hynes(altho that was bad), but that he let himself into sami's apartment. i mean how many of you can honsetly admit you'd be comfortable with your ex-boyfriend keying his way into your place whenever he pleases? i just don't get that behavior. i suppose it's a plot device for rafe to catch nicole hiding the letter, but despite all that, it came off creepy. how hard would it have been for him to call sami and let her know he was on his way, or let her know about the letter?

james0479
Member Avatar

I'm confused about how and WHEN did I start enjoying Melanie???? I have always loathed this character but for the past 2 weeks, I've noticed I haven't used her scenes as a bathroom break. lol It took 2 years, but I think she is finally getting enjoyable. Yea, her pity party thing can get old, but I'd rasther watch her than Stephanie, at this point. Overall, I think it was a pretty good week....not great....but good. I'm ready for October and the build up of the returns. But, so far, the show hasn't lost my attention and for the first time in a long long time, I've found myself looking forward to Monday's show during the weekend. lol

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply