Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD and SOW: Steph sees Philip's sex tape!; Sept 15th issues; Summary of Articles
Topic Started: Sep 2 2009, 01:31 PM (2,599 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOD and SOW each feature an interview with Shelley Hennig.

The candy stripers at the hospital are giggling and watching something on the internet. They turn the laptop towards Stephanie, and she sees that it's a video of Philip and Melanie having sex! Hennig tells SOD, "Stephanie is in shock. One hundred percent embarrassed." Then, Melanie walks over.

Melanie tries to tell Stephanie that the video isn't real and that someone just made it up and put Stephanie's and Philip's faces on other people's bodies. But, as Hennig says, "Stephanie is like, 'Are you kidding me? Who would do that?'" Then Nathan tells Melanie to just tell the truth.

Melanie confesses, but she makes a point of noting that Steph and Philip had broken up at that point in time. Stephanie calls Melanie a slut. "She thinks what Melanie did was gross, nasty and disgusting," Hennig tells SOW. Stephanie even accuses Melanie of having put the video on the internet, but Melanie says she didn't.

As Stephanie and Melanie are arguing, Philip comes in. Stephanie tells Melanie to leave, and then she shows Philip the video. Philip "is in shock", says Hennig, but he tells Stephanie that he and Stephanie had broken up then. He asks Stephanie to forgive him. As Hennig says, "Stephanie doesn't even respond. She just walks out."

Philip goes to Bo to try to find out where the tape came from. Bo says that Melanie had nothing to do with it. Then Stephanie comes in, and she and Philip have a huge argument. Stephanie says she'd given Philip the opportunity to tell her if there were anything going on between Melanie and him, but he didn't. Philip tells Stephanie that he didn't say anything because he didn't want Stephanie to break off their engagement. Stephanie says she might not have, if he'd been honest.

Stephanie tells Philip their engagement is off. She leaves, and as Hennig says, "Stephanie is devastated... as much as she loves Philip, she has to end things with him."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Sep 2 2009, 01:31 PM
Stephanie says she'd given Philip the opportunity to tell her if there were anything going on between Melanie and him, but he didn't. Philip tells Stephanie that he didn't say anything because he didn't want Stephanie to break off their engagement. Stephanie says she might not have, if he'd been honest.

As much as I have no interest in Philip and Stephanie being together, I do like both of them independently and I'm glad to see that Stephanie's motivation for breaking off the engagement (again) is that Philip lied to her, not out of jealousy.

Otherwise, my reaction to anything relating to Melanie and Phelony remains unchanged: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Thanks for posting, Ellie!
Edited by Paxton, Sep 2 2009, 01:37 PM.

aimees76
Member Avatar

Ok all I can say is that is a crock of shit. If Phillip had been honest and told Stephanie that he slept with Melanie while they were broken up, she never would have gotten back with him. I understand her using the "I gave you a chance to tell me and you lied" rationale as an excuse to break it off again, but seriously, she is full of shit saying that she might not have broken off the engagement again if he had told the truth. I just really hate her. Even when she kind of makes sense, she still makes it so bitchy and snotty and entitled that I can't support her. Argh. And poor Melanie, she does not deserve to be screamed and called a slut every other minute by Princess Stephanie. As if Steph is so pure. Puh-lease.
Can't she leave Salem now? Please. Ack!

peaches179

Zzzzzz. Vivian can't come soon enough! Thanks, Ellie! :)

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

The cycle continues. They'll be back together by the end of the month.

PHELLE FOREVER

Do you think the writers finally got the message that no one cares about this couple, and they are finally ending them for good? Philip/Stephanie were a total flop. I hope the writers are finally correcting their mistake of ever putting them together in the first place

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I care about Philip and Stephanie as a couple. They're great together. The writing for them has just been sucking for months now.

I say give the two a break, let Stephanie get involved in a triangle with Nathan and Melanie, while Philip moves on into a storyline with Chloe (the only other woman currently on the canvas that he should be paired with).
Edited by DrewHamilton, Sep 2 2009, 01:56 PM.

lastDays
Member Avatar

This whole quadrangle sucks! Nathan is alright without Mel or Steph.I have come to have nothing but disgust forPhillip,and both Mel and Steph - :puke:

esp13
Member Avatar

PHELLE FOREVER
Sep 2 2009, 01:49 PM
Do you think the writers finally got the message that no one cares about this couple, and they are finally ending them for good? Philip/Stephanie were a total flop. I hope the writers are finally correcting their mistake of ever putting them together in the first place
I care about them and I know of other people that do as well. Whether they are ending them for good or not remains to be seen. I do think that if they had intended to end them for good, they would have never put them back together (however briefly) this time.

As for the actual article, like Paxton, I'm glad that Stephanie's rationale is that Philip lied to her. Whether she would have reconciled with him or not had he told her the truth, the fact is that she asked and he lied. It doesn't matter that they were broken up at the time. If he felt it wasn't any of her business because of that, he should have told her that, not lied to her.

As for Stephanie calling Melanie a slut? Maybe she doesn't deserve it, but what would any person think of the woman who was caught in a sex tape with her fiancee?

jane1978

I love this quadrangle. I totally understand motivations of everybody involved, I can feel the emotion and there is no bad or villain side involved, just a lot of conflicted feelings. Im really happy Higley or whoever is writing the show decided not to go the usual Melanie is the obsessed interlopper route, but put everybody on even ground. I quess people are still used for the supercouple vs. interlopper kind of conflict, but IMO this is much fresher and more fun, especially if everybody involved has so great chemistry with the rest. Im constantly torn what couples I want to be the endgame.

And another thing, I think its great sex is finally just sex on this show. Remember JERs crazy half year long storylines just so some supercouple member finally beds an interlopper? Boring and predictable. This is much better.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

I like the quadrangle. I do think Stephanie sucks the life out of Phillip and if they are going to keep doing this breakup makeup routine then pour their resources into getting some good dialogue writers to make it interesting. The only time I find Stephanie interesting is in her scenes with Melanie, then I end up feeling bad for the both of them. However, looking at this quad as a whole the "villians" to me are Stephanie and Nathan...their crime; being boring.

I dont buy that if Stephanie had known she wouldn't have stayed broken up but if she would have reconciled in spite of the hook up then she's one dumb bunny. Phillip may be in love with Stephanie but Melanie is under his skin.

Also, I dont blame Phillip, "they were on a BREAK!"

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

To me, there was nothing wrong with Philip and Melanie sleeping together. Like everyone said, Philip and Stephanie were on a break. However, Philip could've came clean with Stephanie when she asked him if there was anything he was keeping from her before accepting his proposal. That's where Philip screwed up and I'm glad that's the reason Stephanie is upest, not so much the Melanie part.

pspcindy
Member Avatar

I despise the silly little twit Stephanie-or wankani as I call her. She thinks she is so superior to Philip and Melanie that it's sickening. I don't believe she loves Philip. She "loves" him as long as he does just what she says, otherwise she prances out. And sorry but Hennig and Johnson have zero chemistry to me. I had hopes for them but the writing for Stephanie ruined it, along with no heat.

I am ready for Philip to be free. At least with Melanie he has some chemistry. And Melanie has worked to make herself a better person. Stephanie goes around like she is entitled to whatever her little heart wants and looks down on Melanie because she has nothing and no one. Shame on her.

I really hope this break is the final one. It's as boring as the dumbing down of EJ has been.

thanks Ellie.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Sep 2 2009, 02:45 PM
I love this quadrangle. I totally understand motivations of everybody involved, I can feel the emotion and there is no bad or villain side involved, just a lot of conflicted feelings. Im really happy Higley or whoever is writing the show decided not to go the usual Melanie is the obsessed interlopper route, but put everybody on even ground. I quess people are still used for the supercouple vs. interlopper kind of conflict, but IMO this is much fresher and more fun, especially if everybody involved has so great chemistry with the rest. Im constantly torn what couples I want to be the endgame.

And another thing, I think its great sex is finally just sex on this show. Remember JERs crazy half year long storylines just so some supercouple member finally beds an interlopper? Boring and predictable. This is much better.
I agree. I really like this quad too because it reflects what Days is trying to do. They've taken classic style soap stories (baby switches, long quads, etc) and put modern spins on them. Soaps need to keep up with the times and I like the way they've approached this. All four are making mistakes and paying for them and what I like is that it's not stupid misunderstandings causing the splits. It's something that would cause a breakup. First, it was Philip's dark side and business dealings. Now, it's the sex tape. I just hope this breakup lasts for a long while because the pacing for the Philip/Stephanie stuff has been messed up. They need a long-term break from each other.

I think the show was smart to move Melanie away from Philip and Stephanie for a bit and have her go through a little development and redemption first. Now, you can feel for all 4 characters and alot of people have come around to Melanie. That was a good move.

I also agree with Drew in that I'm glad the breakup is not because she's jealous. I look forward to seeing how things unfold from me now that the show seems to have setup the story they wanted all along with Melanie/Philip/Stephanie with Nathan in the mix too.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Stephanie is more pure than I thought if she's not jealous that Phillip FINALLY slept with Melanie. Common sense should tell her that he's had a "thing" for her since he tried seducing the AFP out of her. If I were Stephanie, I'd wonder how is he going to justify being her with her again, being drunk again? boredom? Nightingale effect? Or maybe Stephanie thinks he's gotten her out of his system. Maybe Stephanie is too good to be jealous of Melanie but she should be worried.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

PhoenixRising05
Sep 2 2009, 03:42 PM
I think the show was smart to move Melanie away from Philip and Stephanie for a bit and have her go through a little development and redemption first. Now, you can feel for all 4 characters and alot of people have come around to Melanie.
I disagree with you that now people are feeling for all four characters, at least on the message boards--overwhelmingly I've seen people bash Stephanie no matter what she does and defend Melanie on the grounds that she's "trying to change her life and be a better person." Personally, I don't really see that, but whatever. I'm guessing the show's research, which is a better gauge of general, overall audience reaction than the boards and certainly less susceptible to agenda-based manipulation, must show something more in line with what you're seeing (i.e., that Stephanie is rootable also), or they'd just give up on Stephanie/Philip altogether.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Paxton
Sep 2 2009, 04:09 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 2 2009, 03:42 PM
I think the show was smart to move Melanie away from Philip and Stephanie for a bit and have her go through a little development and redemption first. Now, you can feel for all 4 characters and alot of people have come around to Melanie.
I disagree with you that now people are feeling for all four characters, at least on the message boards--overwhelmingly I've seen people bash Stephanie no matter what she does and defend Melanie on the grounds that she's "trying to change her life and be a better person." Personally, I don't really see that, but whatever. I'm guessing the show's research, which is a better gauge of general, overall audience reaction than the boards and certainly less susceptible to agenda-based manipulation, must show something more in line with what you're seeing (i.e., that Stephanie is rootable also), or they'd just give up on Stephanie/Philip altogether.
I see what your saying, Paxton, because I've seen it too. However, Stephanie is a legacy character so even if people seem to despise her on the boards, I know there are people out there that care about her. She is the daughter of a beloved supercouple and a member of one of the show's core families so those affiliations alone help put her over to some fans. Melanie doesn't have that same advantage. That is why I think it was wise for the show to take a step back and focus on Melanie on her own, trying to rebuild her life and reputation. They had her become interested in being a nurse, gave us more scenes with her and Maggie, and focused on her as comic relief and helping people, including Philip and Stephanie, in an effort to make up for her misdeeds. It really put the character over. Last winter and spring, there was alot more Melanie hate then there is now. The show did a good job with that IMO and it was needed big time before they could explore this quad full force because the other 3 characters in it are all from core families so there needed to be more effort put into Melanie. Not saying the majority cares about all 4 or even most of these characters but I do appreciate the writers at least putting alot of effort into the Melanie side of the equation. Now, I hope they do the same with Stephanie and focus on developing her a bit more. I really liked what they were doing with her this summer until they threw her and Philip back together briefly again.

esp13
Member Avatar

Yes, the show put effort in the Melanie side of things. Far more effort than they have ever put into developing Stephanie's character (or pretty much anybody else's lately). They've let Melanie be involved in almost every storyline and have thrown both Stephanie and Philip under the bus in the race to make her the bestest character evah.

Well, I suppose it's worked for a lot of people. But, I refuse to drink the Kool-Aid. I don't think Melanie is wonderful and the very essence of goodness and light, no matter how much the writers try to sell me on it. And, in fact, the more they try to sell me on it, the more I resent the very existence of Melanie. But, I'm also sure the writers don't really care what I think.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

SH/Stephanie has had a myriad of s/ls that could have garnered her acting accolades and character development. SH has had some really great material to work with; Daddy doesnt remember me, abusive bf, sority life, rape, plotting murder, being dumped, internship, being a witness to Phillip's attempted assasination, being kidnapped, PTS, pill popping, and countless love scenes and makeups/breakups. The problem is the writers have failed to weave all these experiences together to develop her character and SH has failed a few times at connecting with the audience in her performances. I would think a lot of actors would jump at the chance to have the kind of material SH has had to work with.

esp13
Member Avatar

Halloween Family
Sep 2 2009, 04:49 PM
The problem is the writers have failed to weave all these experiences together to develop her character and SH has failed a few times at connecting with the audience in her performances. I would think a lot of actors would jump at the chance to have the kind of material SH has had to work with.
Yes!! Exactly my point.

Let's see, they set up conflict for Steve and Stephanie and then abandoned it, making Stephanie look like an immature brat without allowing for the growth to come from that. Then they set up the potential abusive storyline with Jeremy, only to drop it, again eliminating any character growth for Stephanie. The rape storyline did actually have some follow through, but then it was never mentioned again. The kidnapping aftermath and the pill popping were dropped as soon as Stephanie broke off her engagement with Philip. Again, no follow through. The writers use absolutely none of these things to explain why Stephanie may feel a certain why or act a certain way. It's like none of it ever existed.

Meanwhile, Melanie can't go 5 minutes without somebody mentioning how her father treated her, how horrible her childhood was, and how hard she's trying to be a better person. It's the go to excuse for everything she does. Nobody holds anything against her because well, she's just Melanie and she's trying to be a better person.

IMO, if they had put half the effort into developing the character of Stephanie as they have into Melanie, a lot of the issues people have with the character of Stephanie would not exist. But they haven't, and they won't. It's much easier (and lazier) to simply keep her as Melanie's foil.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply