Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD and SOW: Steph sees Philip's sex tape!; Sept 15th issues; Summary of Articles
Topic Started: Sep 2 2009, 01:31 PM (2,512 Views)
Halloween Family
Member Avatar

I agree about Mel and her childhood. The two characters that really have had any sort of major development are Melanie and Nicole. Nicole is still ranked at the top because you have all that plus all the insights into her plight. I dont know if I agree about the part about keeping Stephanie as Melanie's foil, though. As Phoenix pointed out, Melanie was a fervently hated character when she came on, it's been a recent development that people have started to root for her. They needed to throw her a few bones to make people like her in order to make the quad and any other s/l she was going to be in balanced. I'm definitly more a Melanie fan than Stephanie but I dont hate the character of Stephanie. I just fail to see any sort of heat from the Stephanie/Phillip pairing and if they had chemistry then no matter the writing they could prevail. If they were a hot couple, then they could just ride out crappy writing on the steam from the many love scenes theyve had. I did see some fire between stephanie and Owen and they could have done a good Stockholm Syndrome, substance abuse s/l out of it but for whatever reason it seems someone thinks SH and JKJ look pretty together.
Edited by Halloween Family, Sep 2 2009, 05:30 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Can403

peaches179
Sep 2 2009, 01:44 PM
Zzzzzz. Vivian can't come soon enough! Thanks, Ellie! :)
I am with you. This looks BOOOOOOORRRRRRRING!

esp13
Member Avatar

Halloween Family
Sep 2 2009, 05:30 PM
I agree about Mel and her childhood. The two characters that really have had any sort of major development are Melanie and Nicole. Nicole is still ranked at the top because you have all that plus all the insights into her plight. I dont know if I agree about the part about keeping Stephanie as Melanie's foil, though. As Phoenix pointed out, Melanie was a fervently hated character when she came on, it's been a recent development that people have started to root for her. They needed to throw her a few bones to make people like her in order to make the quad and any other s/l she was going to be in balanced. I'm definitly more a Melanie fan than Stephanie but I dont hate the character of Stephanie. I just fail to see any sort of heat from the Stephanie/Phillip pairing and if they had chemistry then no matter the writing they could prevail. If they were a hot couple, then they could just ride out crappy writing on the steam from the many love scenes theyve had. I did see some fire between stephanie and Owen and they could have done a good Stockholm Syndrome, substance abuse s/l out of it but for whatever reason it seems someone thinks SH and JKJ look pretty together.
But the problem is that the quad isn't balanced. I agree that they probably had to do something to make Melanie more likeable. And they did that by getting her out of the AFP thing (where she was totally overmatched) and having her back off her Stephanie hate and Philip lust, and then help Brady and help Philip find Stephanie, etc., etc. Suddenly, everybody thougth she was changed and, heck, I even liked her, mildly.

But then they took a step (or several) too far. Melanie became the center of everything. They made sure that Melanie looked sympathetic at all times and Stephanie looked like the big bitch no matter what. They made Philip look like an idiot and an asshole. And even had the newbie Nathan take heat for hurting poor, little Melanie. So, I don't see a balanced quad. I see one heavily tipped towards Melanie.

And, for me, this isn't even about Philip and Stephanie. I like them together, but I like them individually just as much. If they split them up permanently, that's fine. But, the real problem is that I hate seeing characters I like sacrificed at the alter of another character. I hated when they sacrificed Steve and Kayla (individually as much as a couple) for Ava and I hate seeing the same thing happen to Philip and Stephanie (individually) for Melanie.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Maybe I attribute the unbalance of the quad to SH/Stephanie being a wet blanket at times rather then building up Mel at Steph's expense because that was her problem before Melanie arrived.

I dont think Melanie has been sympathetic the whole time. The Phil/Mel sex thing made her look cheap, stupid and desperate. She looked that way even when you compare the way the two female characters were dressed.

When Stephanie thought Melanie and Phillip hooked up the first time where she called Melanie a whore slut and Melanie said "you know my history, what I went throught w/ my father", I felt bad for BOTH Melanie AND Stephanie. SH played that scene great and that's why I think SH/Stpehanie needs to be paired with a strong overbearing character like your Jeremies, Owens and Melanies.

During the locked in the morgue drawer, there were a couple of scenes that I thought were great like the one where Phillip and Stephanie were holding each other as if the world was racing by too fast. That was a great moment but that was it, no more really to speak of. With that s/l at least now I believe Phillip actually might think he loves her and she's worth fighting for.

esp13
Member Avatar

Halloween Family
Sep 2 2009, 06:11 PM
I dont think Melanie has been sympathetic the whole time. The Phil/Mel sex thing made her look cheap, stupid and desperate. She looked that way even when you compare the way the two female characters were dressed.

When Stephanie thought Melanie and Phillip hooked up the first time where she called Melanie a whore slut and Melanie said "you know my history, what I went throught w/ my father", I felt bad for BOTH Melanie AND Stephanie. SH played that scene great and that's why I think SH/Stpehanie needs to be paired with a strong overbearing character like your Jeremies, Owens and Melanies.

Well, you'd be in the minority at least in how things are expressed on various message boards. And I totally realize (and rely upon) the fact that message boards aren't a true reflection of all fans. Nonetheless, the overwhelming response in most places has been that Melanie is totally sympathetic and has done nothing that can't be explained, overlooked, or ignored. Meanwhile, Stephanie has done nothing that is understandable, forgiveable, or explainable. And, whether I'm the only one who likes her or not, when you like a character, it's beyond frustrating to see that kind of unbalanced writing and response.

I'm not going to debate or contest SH as an actress. I think that, like chemistry, is often in the eye of the beholder. I think SH is better than a lot of people give her credit for, but I also know that's very much my opinion and I don't expect others to share it.

bellebelle

aimees76
Sep 2 2009, 01:43 PM
Ok all I can say is that is a crock of shit. If Phillip had been honest and told Stephanie that he slept with Melanie while they were broken up, she never would have gotten back with him. I understand her using the "I gave you a chance to tell me and you lied" rationale as an excuse to break it off again, but seriously, she is full of shit saying that she might not have broken off the engagement again if he had told the truth. I just really hate her. Even when she kind of makes sense, she still makes it so bitchy and snotty and entitled that I can't support her. Argh. And poor Melanie, she does not deserve to be screamed and called a slut every other minute by Princess Stephanie. As if Steph is so pure. Puh-lease.
Can't she leave Salem now? Please. Ack!

amen! i soooo agree!!!!

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

esp13
Sep 2 2009, 06:47 PM
Well, you'd be in the minority at least in how things are expressed on various message boards. And I totally realize (and rely upon) the fact that message boards aren't a true reflection of all fans. Nonetheless, the overwhelming response in most places has been that Melanie is totally sympathetic and has done nothing that can't be explained, overlooked, or ignored. Meanwhile, Stephanie has done nothing that is understandable, forgiveable, or explainable. And, whether I'm the only one who likes her or not, when you like a character, it's beyond frustrating to see that kind of unbalanced writing and response.

I'm not going to debate or contest SH as an actress. I think that, like chemistry, is often in the eye of the beholder. I think SH is better than a lot of people give her credit for, but I also know that's very much my opinion and I don't expect others to share it.
It seems like sometimes people want to pick a side or have things black and white, have it clealy outlined who's the bad guy/who's the good guy. One of the reasons why I like this quad is that I can see everyone's POV. Nathan is a new character so it's just a given he needs time and he's JUST not that into Melanie as he is Stephanie. Philip thought at the time Steph was done with him so I think he believed everything he was saying to Melanie. Stephanie has fallen victim to that woman's fantasy of 'oh I can change a man for the better'. Melanie has this huge crush on Phillip and while she was weary he said everything she wanted to hear. None of these things make the characters horrible just human.

IMO, SH and MB are about equal in the acting department but you are right you tend to gravitate to whoever engages you more. SH is more consistant, has had a few great moments but never downright horrible. MB is more all over the place, she's had a few moment where she has really stunk to high heaven. As for the chemistry thing, for me it's more about who engages Phillip more. For some reason, Philip looks more alive around melanie. although, that one sex scene looks like he's asleep. It is a personal preference, I tend to like couple who shouldn't be together.

We'll see how the story plays out and see what kind of light all the characters are portrayed in because I can see your point. Usually the pendulum makes exagerated swings to one side to another but eventually it finds balance. It seems like this quad is a big part of the show and I hope they put some effort into it to make it interesting.
Edited by Halloween Family, Sep 2 2009, 07:38 PM.

esp13
Member Avatar

Well, we may not agree on everything, but I do agree that the one thing I like about this quad (although I'm not sure like is the right word) is that I can see everyone's POV and I also agree that nobody is horrible, just human. I'd probably be far less irritated with a lot of this if I just stayed away from message boards, but that's a habit I can't seem to break.

And I have truly enjoyed this discussion. It's nice to be able to discuss various points of view and aspects of a storyline in an interesting and civil manner. So a heapin' heap o' thanks for that. :)

shaw
Member Avatar

What is this stupid girl's problem? Not engaged means just that. She wants to have her cake and eat it too. And really she is right up in nathan and she knows melanie likes him. All is fair in love and war.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply