Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Melrose Place
Topic Started: Sep 8 2009, 09:27 AM (7,277 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

Amello
Sep 8 2009, 09:14 PM
Speaking of Hayley, looks like she's the bore of the season. Snooze-fest LOL

Seriously. The actress's character on 90210 was much more interesting. I wish they would have just had her play that character instead of boring Riley.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Scott
Member Avatar

Not sure how I feel about the new version yet...I see some promise, but I found the whole thing to be kind of boring.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Let me preface this by saying that 99% of the time I find myself annoyed watching the first episode of anything because alot of times the dialogue is forced and the episode moves rather slowly since there is so much character description and plot introduction. Tonight was no exception. From the point Sydney is killed right until the episode's ending montage, things moved slowly BUT that happens with any new show. I think that is why they had Sydney killed off so early. It grabs your attention right away and really helps keep the viewer through the whole episode.

I think it's best to divide my comments into positives and negatives:

Positives

-I LOVE the style of the show. It's superb. They said they wanted to capture the LA vibe and they did right from the start. I love the camerawork and the use of slow-motion in some scenes. The all around technical aspect really need impress me. The building also looked good.

-Katie Cassidy is AWESOME. I couldn't take my eyes off her. When she was offscreen, I wanted to see more of her. I know they tried way too hard to make her Amanda (more on that later) but I didn't care because the show covered their base by making sure there are some clear differences.

-I like that they are letting the rivalries develop rather then starting the show with some characters hating each other already. They are doing it like the original Melrose and I like that. You can already see some tension between Ella and Riley coming. One of the reasons why I think they laid it on so thick concerning everyone getting along was to make it all the more entertaining when the rivalries do start.

-The characters all interest me, except for Riley. They all have something about them that makes me want to know more. That is a very good sign. It helps too that the acting isn't too bad, except for ASW. Granted, the acting wasn't perfect but it was so much better then many of the originals on Melrose when it first started and I expected far worse but was pleasantly surprised.

-Laura Leighton and Thomas Calabro are great and look great. I really wish we could see more of Sydney outside the flashbacks. Loved their flashback scene together and I like that they hinted at Sydney having a pain medication addiction as a result of her accident. Loved Micheal's car too.

-The ending montage rocked. Every story got turned on it's ear a bit. The ending with Auggie was really good. I was worried because he was the only one who really got little focus in the episode but it became clear why that was at the end of the episode. It's clear they want to go the mysterious route with him and that is why the corny makeshift service for Sydney at the end didn't bother me because I saw it as Auggie, who clearly cared about Sydney at one point, maybe feeling guilty or maybe trying to make himself look good so suspicion doesn't fall on him. I did like how the episode really gave each character ample amount of attention. Balance is always a good thing.

Negatives

-Ashlee-Simpson-Wentz is awful. I want to give her a chance but...ugh. Violet actually seems interesting (it's clear to me she is going to be Sydney's daughter) but Ashlee takes the life out of every scene. I think Violet is going to end up going psycho at some point which may be for the best as awful actors sometimes become more tolerable when they go crazy LOL.

-Drew's point about Sydney sounding like Amanda was so true. My God, I felt like Sydney was possessed by Amanda Woodward. I understand characters can change and we still have alot to find out about Sydney and what happened but it was painfully obvious they didn't change much, if any at all, of the dialogue. I credit Laura Leighton with helping me to still think "Sydney" when I was seeing her because a lesser actress couldn't have done that.

-I felt Micheal was too dark. Like Leighton, Calabro did enough for me to still see "Micheal" but he came off very cold and almost like he was tormented. Again, I realize we have alot that has to unfold here and there maybe reasons for this but it bothered me a bit. Sure, people change but...it just bugged me. I did like his scenes with David and the background info we got concerning both of them.

-The show itself was missing it's camp factor. I know they want to be different and want to go the darker route but the old Melrose was able to do that and be fun and campy too. Now, it is only the first episode but I didn't see a whole lot that made me think the show will do what the original did and balance things out as well. The good thing is that it looks like it will do serious drama well and the tone and feel is good but it could be great when they add some more camp and fun. I'm still optimistic but it was so shocking to see how dark the show was. Hell, even the lighting was pretty dark.

-The dialogue needs work. First episodes always feature forced and cliched dialogue so, hopefully, it improves in the weeks ahead.

-The character of Riley is a bit too stereotypical. She has no layers whatsoever. I suppose that may be the idea because every show needs it's good girl. That way when Jonah inevitably cheats on her with Ella or someone else, it comes off more naughty and makes him seem more alive. Jessica Lucas is gorgeous and her acting is not bad. I just wish they gave her more layers. Maybe they will come but I doubt it. It's not a bad thing for her to be this way but I just wish she wasn't because then I would be interested in every character. Oh, and that video Jonah made for her right before proposing was horribly cheesy LOL. I can usually enjoy cheesy crap but that was too much for even me :laugh: .

-I really wish we had an opening but I guess I shouldn't be surprised as most shows now just show the cast names on the bottom of the screen as the episode goes on.

All in all, an ok first show. I really look forward to the show now that all the introductory junk is out of the way.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Are you sure there's opening Phoenix? I say that because all pilot episodes never show the opening.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

I'm sure what we saw tonight will be the standard as far as the opening (or lack thereof) goes. For whatever reason, it's the trend these days.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason
Sep 8 2009, 10:40 PM
I'm sure what we saw tonight will be the standard as far as the opening (or lack thereof) goes. For whatever reason, it's the trend these days.
A horrible, horrid, stupid trend! HATE IT!
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Amello
Sep 8 2009, 10:41 PM
Mason
You're preaching to the choir.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason
Amello
Mason
You're preaching to the choir.
Thank God most of my shows like Dexter, Nip/Tuck, Rescue Me all have such things. Does True Blood?
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

True Blood has a normal full-length opening. Thank God for cable.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Amello
Mason
I hate it too but, sadly, I've come to accept it ever since ER cut it's opening in 2006. That was the point where I realized that long, comprehensive openings were a thing of the past. It seems the shows want to allow more time for actual story and while that is all fine and good, it bugs me because openings are important in how people identify a show. You hear the ER theme and you know what show it is. You hear the Days theme and you know what show it is. You hear the Melrose theme and you know what show it is. It's important and I hate that it seems this version of Melrose is not using an opening.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

I thought it was a solid pilot. I will be tuning in next week. Ella, Jonah and the school teacher remind me of early Amanda, Billy and Allison.

Also, as widely speculated, I think Violet is Sydney daughter (the bad dye job isn't very subtle).....however, ASW was awful. They better call in an acting coach for that girl.

Deleted User
Deleted User

PhoenixRising05
Sep 8 2009, 10:53 PM
Amello
Mason
I hate it too but, sadly, I've come to accept it ever since ER cut it's opening in 2006. That was the point where I realized that long, comprehensive openings were a thing of the past. It seems the shows want to allow more time for actual story and while that is all fine and good, it bugs me because openings are important in how people identify a show. You hear the ER theme and you know what show it is. You hear the Days theme and you know what show it is. You hear the Melrose theme and you know what show it is. It's important and I hate that it seems this version of Melrose is not using an opening.
I would think it has to do more with that fact that advertisers want more time for commercials, so the shows themselves cut their opening in favor of cutting the show's episode itself.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Now, was it just me or did anywhere else practically miss every word David ever spoke. All I thought about when I was looking at him was how pretty he was. Dumb, but severely pretty LOL And Phoenix, totally with you on the Katie Cassidy love.

Now, I hope in the future Cameron Richardson is cast. Love that girl to bits.
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Amello
Sep 8 2009, 10:55 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 8 2009, 10:53 PM
Amello
Mason
I would think it has to do more with that fact that advertisers want more time for commercials, so the shows themselves cut their opening in favor of cutting the show's episode itself.
That could be it.

One thing I will say is if Jessica Lucas' Riley is this Melrose's "Alison," then that would be quite ironic. Courtney Thorne-Smith was IMO a crappy actress in what I felt was a meaty role in Alison. Jessica Lucas is IMO a decent actress in what I feel is a one note role in Riley. Go figure LOL.

I will say that Micheal Rady is much better then Andrew Shue ever was. If Jonah is this Melrose's "Billy" and he gets as much focus and story as Shue got, I will be good with that.

Deleted User
Deleted User

No one can be as bad Shue. LOL

Michael Rady though is pretty good actor. He was in the Travelling Pants movies and held his own with Alexis Bledel.
Quote Post Goto Top

KMan101
Member Avatar

Jonah, Ella and Lauren are the three I'm most enjoying at the moment. ASW ruins any liking I could have for Violet.

I agree with everyone who says it was obviously Amanda's words coming out of Syd's mouth. I finally saw Syd in her flashback with Michael at the hospital. I loved their interaction.

David/Shaun Sipos was better than I expected, sill not great. Jessica Lucas was good but Riley is SO blah. I hope she becomes a raging alcoholic like Alison was. Then maybe she'd be interesting.

Jonah and Michael Rady are very endearing.

I wish we'd get an opening sequence. I'd die to hear a new version of the old theme but I won't hold my breath.

Overall, it was decent for a pilot. I think we'll get dirtier, campier and more typical Melrose as the season progresses. As much as we may find it boring, you really can't have everyone hating each other right from the first episode. Rivalries and stuff have to have to time to develop. Next week, in just the few snippets, looks way better.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Okay. The episode is over and I have to say that I'm a Melrose Place fan again. The production is the best part of the show. The writing is here and there, but hopefully, that gets better as the season continues. That's what happened on 90210. Hopefully, it'll happen on Melrose too.

Ella is my favorite character so far. I love that they made her bisexual. It adds to the sexiness of the character, despite Katie Cassidy accomplishing that already by just her looks. She's gorgeous and she's the character I kept wanting to see all night. I did notice something in Ella's eye when she was in scenes with Jonah, especially that last scene in the courtyard after Jonah and Riley announced their engagement. Ella looked like she wanted Jonah all for herself. Ella = Amanda, Jonah = Billy, Riley = Alison. It's perfect!

Jonah is my second favorite character so far. He's a good guy in the end, but he was conflicted about doing the "wrong thing" and taking the money from that guy. I like that. It shows that despite being labeled a good guy, he's willing to think about bending the rules if it could benefit him or Riley.

Riley is a total bore and a total Alison. I hope they give this bitch an alcoholism storyline or something because she needs something to spice up her life. She's a freaking teacher! Out of all the jobs in LA you can have, she's a teacher.

I like David so far, but I'm worried that I'm not going to like him for long. I feel that he's going to constantly blame Michael for his problems and I don't want to see that. I love his friendship with Ella. It's so obvious that he wants her, but it doesn't look he's ever going to get her until she needs to get with him for her own agenda. I love that.

I like Lauren so far too. Her storyline is the one that really has me interested. I'm glad that they have her taking the deal in the very first episode rather than drawing it out over the first few episodes. I would have rather saw Lauren in scenes with Michael, who offers to help her rank in the medical world if she sleeps with him rather than some random person, but whatever. I'm still hopeful for a Michael/Lauren hook up in future episodes, or at least just a scene, maybe?

I don't really know much about Auggie to form an opinion of him. They really failed at drawing any attention on him throughout the episode. I forgot all about him until the end in the alley. And by then, I just no longer cared about the character. Like Riley, the writers really need to spice up his character and soon.

Violet is the worst part of the show. And I'm not saying it's just becaues of Ashlee Simpson-Wentz either. I just don't like the character so far. I feel like I'm going to be very annoyed by her. Also, I'm convinced that she's going to turn out to be Sydney's daughter like everyone else, even though I hate that. From what we saw on the first Melrose Place, Jane and Sydney's parents were pretty involved in their lives. I don't believe for one second Sydney would've gotten pregnant as a teenager and gave the baby up for adoption, and Jane nor her parents would ever discuss it. That makes no sense. Amanda on the other hand, who I believe was originally supposed to be Violet's mother, has a very checkered and secretive past. It's totally believable that she would've gotten pregnant and gave the baby up for adoption and the secret would never have to come up because we didn't know much about Amanda's past. I mean, her father and mother appeared in the first show, but they were the type of parents that would totally want to cover Amanda's pregnancy and hide it, so they would never mention it.

If it's not obvious that Laura Leighton was the show's second choice, and Heather Locklear was their first, just in this premiere episode, I don't know what is. And the sad part is, aside from that one Michael and Sydney scene at the hospital, and David and Michael's scenes in the car, the show made no attempts to change Sydney's dialogue and story from what they had original planned for Amanda. I can't wait until the murder mystery is over and Sydney is never heard from again. Because if they're going to continue writing the character without actually writing for the character of Sydney, I don't want to even see her.

Shylock

The only reason I tuned into this show is Katie Cassidy and she didn't disappoint. The only thing this show kinda lacks is that extra punch that gets you watching week to week. Some things fell flat, but I'm open to watching future episodes though.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Shylock
Sep 8 2009, 11:32 PM
The only reason I tuned into this show is Katie Cassidy and she didn't disappoint.
She was great on Harper's Island.

I bet Henry or Wakefield killed Sydney. :P

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Jane and Sydney's parents kept their share of secrets. Remember, they dropped the bomb that Jane was adopted. So, I could imagine them keeping Sydney's secret.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply