Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
SOD Cover Sept. 22nd
Topic Started: Sep 8 2009, 04:47 PM (3,982 Views)
Harmony233

wkline
Sep 8 2009, 10:00 PM
Guilding light has been on for 72 years.. They should of got some coverage.. gessh
It seems like Passions got more respect when they was cancelled than poor GL is getting.
Online Profile Goto Top

Harmony233

cebryan333
Sep 9 2009, 05:38 AM
Why do they have to drag it out so long!?
I always assumed that it wouldn't come out until November sweeps but then I remeber how long it took on OLTL for Todd to find out that Marcie had his son and I can't even remeber if Dena was writing when that came out.
Online Profile Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

jane1978
Sep 9 2009, 02:05 AM
angmc
Sep 8 2009, 10:15 PM
Alligato
Sep 8 2009, 09:49 PM
So wait. What is revealed? Or exposed?
I am not caught up too much on spoilers so what is exposed? Just Rafe finds out and that's it? Does Nicole know that Rafe knows?

Shit! So when does everyone know?
Rafe knows about the miscarriage and is thinking that Sydney is EJ and Sami's baby.. I think Nicole thinks Rafe knows. Nicole thinks EJ knows but he really doesn't . I don't think Sami knows anything yet and EJ is wandering around the park because he knows squat.
I think EJ is involved too. There is a spoiler for next week saying Mia finally admits to Chad she had his child. And the actor playing Chad twittered some time ago he tapes some scenes with James. I think what will be exposed now is the miscarriage, so everybody (including Chad, EJ and Mia) will believe Sydney is really Mia´s child.

Rafe is the only one who will discover the rest, but he will disappear before he can tell it anyone.
You know, this storyline is confusing enough with all of the baby switches, and who is who's daddy, and who is who's baby. To just drag it out longer makes it more confusing.
As much as I loved it and everyone who was involved and how soapy it got, I am really over all of it. Isn't that a shame?
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Alligato
Sep 9 2009, 09:41 AM
jane1978
angmc
Alligato
Sep 8 2009, 09:49 PM
So wait. What is revealed? Or exposed?
I am not caught up too much on spoilers so what is exposed? Just Rafe finds out and that's it? Does Nicole know that Rafe knows?

Shit! So when does everyone know?
Rafe knows about the miscarriage and is thinking that Sydney is EJ and Sami's baby.. I think Nicole thinks Rafe knows. Nicole thinks EJ knows but he really doesn't . I don't think Sami knows anything yet and EJ is wandering around the park because he knows squat.
I think EJ is involved too. There is a spoiler for next week saying Mia finally admits to Chad she had his child. And the actor playing Chad twittered some time ago he tapes some scenes with James. I think what will be exposed now is the miscarriage, so everybody (including Chad, EJ and Mia) will believe Sydney is really Mia´s child.

Rafe is the only one who will discover the rest, but he will disappear before he can tell it anyone.
You know, this storyline is confusing enough with all of the baby switches, and who is who's daddy, and who is who's baby. To just drag it out longer makes it more confusing.
As much as I loved it and everyone who was involved and how soapy it got, I am really over all of it. Isn't that a shame?
I think a great many people feel just as you do. They've completely over played the story to the point of nobody caring all that much. It's gone on so long, and taken so many twists and turns and involved such a variety of characters that it's gotten lost within itself. At this point, it's long past time to reveal the whole danged thing. Having more partial reveals, which really result in not much more than false alarms, just frustrates the viewers and dilutes the huge impact that having the entire truth come out at once could have.
Offline Profile Goto Top

mbdimera
Member Avatar

I don't mind the reveal coming out in two parts, but it should have happened months ago.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Sep 9 2009, 09:57 AM
Alligato
jane1978
angmc

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

I think a great many people feel just as you do. They've completely over played the story to the point of nobody caring all that much. It's gone on so long, and taken so many twists and turns and involved such a variety of characters that it's gotten lost within itself. At this point, it's long past time to reveal the whole danged thing. Having more partial reveals, which really result in not much more than false alarms, just frustrates the viewers and dilutes the huge impact that having the entire truth come out at once could have.
I think it was good even though I hated that it wasnt an original s/l but IMO what ruined it was all the fake outs. You dont even have to follow the internet boards or spoilers to know that this is the M.O. of Days/JER/Soaps so to me these fake outs have ran their course and they should either stop doing them all together or keep them to a minimum. Ari's a talented actress but I can only take her "oh shit, I'm busted, let me grovel, take pity on me, I did it for my family, dont kill me" facial expressions for so long. Not to mention how unsavory EJ has become in all this; blowing up at Nicole everytime she leaves the house because she's not at his beck and call and how fucking stupid he looks having 2 not very smart women scamming him when said scams are fueled on sheer dumb luck.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Nicole Walker

Seems like EJ has become a side player in this story.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Sep 9 2009, 09:57 AM
Alligato
jane1978
angmc

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

The weird thing is that I have followed this story since the beginning and watched it unfold, but now I am getting all confused as it drags out longer, forgetting about who is whose baby and who is a major player.

So EJ and Sami's baby has Nicole for a mother and EJ for the daddy, but they think that Mia is the mom and Chad is the dad, but really Mia and Chad's baby had Sami and Rafe as her parents, but EJ wanted to be the daddy not Rafe, etc. etc.

What TF!!! Since the beginning, they have brought in so many other people as main characters that EJ is an extra in the story...and in the beginning, it was all about him.

I just don't care anymore, and don't want to think about it anymore.
Offline Profile Goto Top

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

ITA. This s/l was only added b/c of Ali's own pregnancy which was over almost 8 months ago. It needed to be revealed this summer and gotten over with. I have heard that they may try and incorporate Carly and maybe even Bo and Hope into all this at some point when they are in Europe. I agree that the viewers are frustrated with the whole thing. It could have been a good s/l if TPTB would have wrapped it up months ago.
Online Profile Goto Top

Manny
Member Avatar

Fish comes out to his parents? Awesome! I thought it would take longer. I was sure Layla would play his girlfriend for a while or something.. but this is great!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Marian

Actually, I wouldn't mind what one of the posters proposed.... that while Rafe is all tied up, EJ learns about the miscarriage and thinks that Sydney is Mia's and Chad's. It would mean that he will feel like he has lost BOTH his baby girls completely (since he will think that Sydney was never his and will realise that Nicole miscarried theirs), it would also mean that he would gladly throw Nicole out and let her take Sydney with her when she leaves (best way for her to go on maternity leave), it would finally give James Scott some really great scenes to get his teeth into without having his moment overshadowed by Sami realising her baby is alive, and it will make the moment when he and Sami realise that Sydney is truly THEIRS all the more dramatic for both characters. They will BOTH want to be reunited and will feel that they were cheated. Up until now, EJ has had his daughter with him, it was just the mother that was a secret. I think that would be great!
Edited by Marian, Sep 9 2009, 07:42 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

I don't know. I really am not looking forward to anything that has JS yelling his fool head off. I know it may require it, but that is just one emotion from him that I haven't liked.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Taelyn

I understand that many here are frustrated and upset that the story has not resolved, and some claim to have lost interest alltogether .. But the numbers say that Days is doing much better than it was in 2007, and 2008 .. So while many here say they are over it , its clear that other Days fans feel otherwise and are interested and even enjoying what they are watching.. They may be frustrated too .. Days has always been frustrating .. but they keep tuning in and hoping that today will be the day something happens.. That 'Something' being different for everyone.. Lucky for DOOL the majority of its viewers are probably not on this board, or any other site.. They simply watch shows they like.. I know that *I* am the only person I know who watches soaps and takes part in any message boards.. We infact are the minority..As most just watch TV.
Edited by Taelyn, Sep 10 2009, 03:41 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

Taelyn
Sep 10 2009, 03:38 AM
I understand that many here are frustrated and upset that the story has not resolved, and some claim to have lost interest alltogether .. But the numbers say that Days is doing much better than it was in 2007, and 2008 .. So while many here say they are over it , its clear that other Days fans feel otherwise and are interested and even enjoying what they are watching.. They may be frustrated too .. Days has always been frustrating .. but they keep tuning in and hoping that today will be the day something happens.. That 'Something' being different for everyone.. Lucky for DOOL the majority of its viewers are probably not on this board, or any other site.. They simply watch shows they like.. I know that *I* am the only person I know who watches soaps and takes part in any message boards.. We infact are the minority..As most just watch TV.
I've never been one to put a lot of time or effort into studying the 'numbers', per se. As I've said in the past, I think it's easy enough for anyone to twist their argument around the numbers and what have you got? Not a lot.

But I will say that I was skimming through the latest SOD just yesterday and was very sorry to see that for the week they were reporting, DAYS was in second to last place in the ratings for all Soaps. I think it showed DAYS as having an average of 1.6 for that week. Like I said - I don't typically pay that much attention but that was pretty jarring. Wasn't it just during the Spring and early Summer that DAYS was getting closer and closer to taking over the number 2 spot? Talk about a nose dive! :shame:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Sweet Lord! 1.6! That is awful...During the Vendetta ratings were at 1.9...Soaps are dying and imo it is easy to see why. People hate fake outs and stupid plot twists...Just tell the damn story and move onto another. It is not that hard. I for one am sick to death with DAYS. I am not sure if I even like soaps anymore, and there was a time I just loved this show. Tomlin and DH have done nothing but bored me to death with lack of movement and Passion star pimping.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

^The weird thing about that is under Ed Scott and that other dude, the storyline sucked. It was obvious that direction was lacking, character motivation was so unclear and ridiculous, it seemed like nothing flowed. But I was hooked.
Now with Tomlin and DH, there is direction, the stories tie into each other, characters are interacting and seem to be maintaining a steady personality, but I am just not into it at all.

I think that the story is dragging, and i know that soap reveals take a long time, nature of the beast, etc. etc., but maybe it is time to switch it up and catch up to an audience that is so spoiled to immidiate gratification. It's worth a try as what do they have to lose. There are only so many characters they can bring back for ratings...then it relies on storytelling and adaptation.
JMHO.
Offline Profile Goto Top

mbdimera
Member Avatar

If writers are going to do a long story arc like this one, they better be on top of their game and IMO these writers were not. There were more misses than hits, and long periods of time where absolutely nothing happened. Not all of the beats were played out, and we had characters having the same conversations ad nauseum. I do think the basic idea for the storyline was a good one, just poorly executed much of the time. I feel that way about alot of the way the storylines go under Higley & Tomlin. Great ideas, poor follow through.

I'm ever the optimist though. Now that Rafe will be out of the picture, I'm hopeful that this storyline can get back to the people it should be focusing on - EJ, Sami and Nicole. I'm also looking forward to seeing Mia and Chad get involved too.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

Alligato
Sep 10 2009, 10:40 AM
^The weird thing about that is under Ed Scott and that other dude, the storyline sucked. It was obvious that direction was lacking, character motivation was so unclear and ridiculous, it seemed like nothing flowed. But I was hooked.
Now with Tomlin and DH, there is direction, the stories tie into each other, characters are interacting and seem to be maintaining a steady personality, but I am just not into it at all.

I think that the story is dragging, and i know that soap reveals take a long time, nature of the beast, etc. etc., but maybe it is time to switch it up and catch up to an audience that is so spoiled to immidiate gratification. It's worth a try as what do they have to lose. There are only so many characters they can bring back for ratings...then it relies on storytelling and adaptation.
JMHO.
You make a great point about the difference between now and then. I couldn't agree with you more. While there were many issues with the storylines during Ed Scott's reign, I found I enjoyed the overall show so much better.

It seems to me that part of what kills the show now is the dialogue these characters are given. It's so bland, and so repetitive. And I realize repetitive dialogue is a soap staple, but it seems we're being overrun with it these past several months. There are times it has me rolling my eyes - other times I want to pull my hair out. Even if I enjoy the characters, I don't want to hear them saying the same inane things, over and over again. I also think it was a stupid, stupid move for Corday to basically admit in SOD that they could give a shit about the show or the ratings until 'that critical period from October to May'. In hind sight, he wasn't kidding, was he? :blink: The show has been at a dead crawl for what feels like weeks to me...and I'm guessing that's why they are getting 1.6 averages in the ratings. If they don't care to tell me a story why the hell should I watch? Admittedly, I must be a glutton for punishment - or maybe just a creature of habit - but it definitely makes me question the loyalty I've always had for this show when it seems TPTB don't feel the same.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Taelyn
Sep 10 2009, 03:38 AM
Days is doing better in the ratings as of last week - the show possibly could be on a slight ratings' upswing, temporarily. Most of the summer ratings have not been good -- it's just that other soap ratings have been worse. In any case, the show stopped entertaining me about a year ago. I kept watching, hoping things would get better. They didn't.

At first, I was upset because it became clear that I was never going to get a storyline for the couple that I loved, EJami, and the show went out of it's way to destroy my favorite character -- EJ, but I thought, well, Days is still my soap, maybe something else will draw me in. Nothing did plus the writing really had become like nails on a chalkboard to me -- and there's no continuity whatsoever. The way the baby switch story has unfolded really was the last straw. I still cannot fathom why EJ has been cut out of this story. Every bit of drama had been sucked out of the storyline for me by making Rafe the focus. I had thought this story would lead to a big finish. Instead, I'm sensing a big "thud." A dramatic failure in the end.

So I finally said "goodbye" to the Days. It amazing how hard it was to really let go of a soap that I had watched for years. I think I actually went through a mourning period -- crazy and I LMAO just thinking about it!

To make a long story short, I saw a preview of another soap on YouTube and decided, what the hell, I'll give it a try. It will probably suck like Days. The last time I had watched it was in the late 70's and early 80's. In hindsight, it has worked out for the best. My bitterness about Days has started to go away because I'm happy with what I am watching now and I realize now after getting into a new soap that Days hasn't been not my kind of show for awhile. I was merely watching out of habit and loyalty that the show never earned from me. The ratings for my new soap suck really, really bad, LOL, but that doesn't matter because I have fallen in love the show. I cannot wait to see the next episode (what a novel concept) and it does something that Days hasn't done for me in a year -- takes me away for an hour and totally entertains me.

There is one change too that I made when I started with this new show. I refuse to ship any couple and I don't read spoilers or participate in show message boards for that show. That has helped a lot.
Goto Top

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

I'm ever the optimist though. Now that Rafe will be out of the picture, I'm hopeful that this storyline can get back to the people it should be focusing on - EJ, Sami and Nicole. I'm also looking forward to seeing Mia and Chad get involved too.

How is Rafe going to be out of the picture in this S/l? I understand that he will be kidnapped by Meredith, but we don't know for how long. Besides, the spoilers say that she wants Rafe back and is worried that she doesn't know where he is. I am betting that Sami gets Brady and Ari and goes looking for him. She isn't going to let her soulmate out of her sight for that long. Rafe is being set up to be the hero in this s/l, as much as some may hate it. He is the one who has gotten all the facts and evidence together about the switch and the one who will let Sami know.
Online Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic