Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Baby Switch Exposed!; Sept 22nd issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Sep 9 2009, 11:26 AM (5,697 Views)
mirabella

Thanks, Ellie! This sounds really good. I am looking forward to seeing this storyline.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

aimees76
Sep 9 2009, 02:32 PM
I think it sounds decent. People keep complaning about the pace of the story, but it feels right to me. Having watched soaps for SO many years, longer journies to a reveal seem more true to the genre than these quickies that are in and out in a month or two. I hate fastfood storylines. I also kind of like more characters becoming involved as time goes on. For a long time DAYS was very clique-y with their characters' s/ls. I want to see the characters and their stories interwoven, not have it all about 2 or 3 people only.

I do think it is funny that the two dumbest characters on the show (Rafe and Chloe) are the two people who figure everything out (in their respective s/ls) in lightening speed.
THANK YOU! :hail:

This IS classic soap opera. People act like this is some sort of Passions thing but it isn't. Most of the best soap stories were stories that took this long, if not longer, to come out. The best stories are ones that go on for a long time, play all the beats, and involve many characters over time. That makes the payoff worth it in the end. Days' big problem in the last few years was that there was no long-term commitment to anything. There were no stories. There were arcs. The pace was way too fast and too many beats were missed. Since Tomlin came on, he changed that. Yes, there are contrivances and things can drag at times but that is part of what made soaps what they are. Look back at Y&R under Bill Bell. Look back at classic JER in the 90's. As long as the story is good and the payoff has major ramifications (which this will), there is no problem IMO. Not saying people have to like the story but acting like this is something that isn't what soaps are about and pretending this is some kind of storytelling exclusive to Passions is ridiculous.

I also have to say once more that just because Gary Tomlin worked as a DIRECTOR at Passions doesn't mean he is trying to turn the show into Passions. The man worked at Days in the early 80's. He's worked on many shows. He worked on OLTL around ten years ago and did fantastic things there, bringing the show long overdue Emmy recognition. He controlled nothing at Passions. He may appreciate JER's style a little and may like casting Passions actors but so what? ATWT has casted several GH/PC alums. Are they trying to become GH or PC? What about how many times GH casted former Days stars? Were they trying to become Days? I just don't get it.

The man has worked on more then one show so to ignore everything else he's done in his career just to push the "Days is turning into Passions" agenda is something I find no logic in. Days has plot-driven elements. Try finding a show that doesn't. Days is dragging stories on forever. That's soap opera, for ya. That pacing and style was around years before Passions. In fact, this baby switch story is not even close to being long by Passions standards. Passions dragged it's stories on 5 years at the earliest. I know they casted three major actors from Passions but that means nothing . As I noted, other shows have done shit like that too and nowhere did I see the kind of response when they did it as I do from fans now with Days. All because Tomlin was a mere director at Passions so, naturally, of all the shows in his career he can choose to emulate, he's going to choose a show he did nothing but direct at. Okay....

If there is any show he is emulating, it's Sunset Beach. I can't argue with that logic because it fits. Beating the Passions drum...don't see it.

Back to the story at hand, this kind of story is a bust if it lasts less then 6 months. It just is. You need to play the relationships of the mothers to the child. That is what the baby switch in 2000-2002 did. Lexie's bond with Zack needed to be built up, as did Hope's bond with JT. Otherwise, the climax would've had no impact. The whole story needed to play all the beats or else there would be nothing for the audience to feel at the end of it. Same goes here. Sami and EJ had to go through the pain of losing a child they thought was theirs so that when they find their real child, the emotional resonance is great. The relationship between Sami and EJ is also at the heart of it, as is the Nicole/EJ and Sami/Rafe relationships. Hell, Will/Mia/Chad and Brady/Nicole is even in play. This story touches many relationships. Stefano and EJ's bond will be affected as well. You need to build the story up to reach full impact or you have an ending that does nothing for the audience or the show long-term (something like Y&R or GH would do nowadays). Otherwise, why bother?

This will open up many story opportunities as a result and that is the point of stories like this. You get tons of mileage out of them. One of the mistakes soaps made was turning to quick as lightning pacing, thinking that is what the audience wants because a select few like event-driven storytelling. That was wrong. You tell the story at a natural pace that works for the story you telling. Build it up to have long-term ramifications. I'm glad Days got back to that. In every story, I can see long-term ramifications right now. That is what soaps are about. Plan for today but also tomorrow.

mirabella

PhoenixRising05
Sep 9 2009, 04:18 PM
aimees76
Sep 9 2009, 02:32 PM
I think it sounds decent. People keep complaning about the pace of the story, but it feels right to me. Having watched soaps for SO many years, longer journies to a reveal seem more true to the genre than these quickies that are in and out in a month or two. I hate fastfood storylines. I also kind of like more characters becoming involved as time goes on. For a long time DAYS was very clique-y with their characters' s/ls. I want to see the characters and their stories interwoven, not have it all about 2 or 3 people only.

I do think it is funny that the two dumbest characters on the show (Rafe and Chloe) are the two people who figure everything out (in their respective s/ls) in lightening speed.
THANK YOU! :hail:

This IS classic soap opera. People act like this is some sort of Passions thing but it isn't. Most of the best soap stories were stories that took this long, if not longer, to come out. The best stories are ones that go on for a long time, play all the beats, and involve many characters over time. That makes the payoff worth it in the end. Days' big problem in the last few years was that there was no long-term commitment to anything. There were no stories. There were arcs. The pace was way too fast and too many beats were missed. Since Tomlin came on, he changed that. Yes, there are contrivances and things can drag at times but that is part of what made soaps what they are. Look back at Y&R under Bill Bell. Look back at classic JER in the 90's. As long as the story is good and the payoff has major ramifications (which this will), there is no problem IMO. Not saying people have to like the story but acting like this is something that isn't what soaps are about and pretending this is some kind of storytelling exclusive to Passions is ridiculous.

I also have to say once more that just because Gary Tomlin worked as a DIRECTOR at Passions doesn't mean he is trying to turn the show into Passions. The man worked at Days in the early 80's. He's worked on many shows. He worked on OLTL around ten years ago and did fantastic things there, bringing the show long overdue Emmy recognition. He controlled nothing at Passions. He may appreciate JER's style a little and may like casting Passions actors but so what? ATWT has casted several GH/PC alums. Are they trying to become GH or PC? What about how many times GH casted former Days stars? Were they trying to become Days? I just don't get it.

The man has worked on more then one show so to ignore everything else he's done in his career just to push the "Days is turning into Passions" agenda is something I find no logic in. Days has plot-driven elements. Try finding a show that doesn't. Days is dragging stories on forever. That's soap opera, for ya. That pacing and style was around years before Passions. In fact, this baby switch story is not even close to being long by Passions standards. Passions dragged it's stories on 5 years at the earliest. I know they casted three major actors from Passions but that means nothing . As I noted, other shows have done shit like that too and nowhere did I see the kind of response when they did it as I do from fans now with Days. All because Tomlin was a mere director at Passions so, naturally, of all the shows in his career he can choose to emulate, he's going to choose a show he did nothing but direct at. Okay....

If there is any show he is emulating, it's Sunset Beach. I can't argue with that logic because it fits. Beating the Passions drum...don't see it.

Back to the story at hand, this kind of story is a bust if it lasts less then 6 months. It just is. You need to play the relationships of the mothers to the child. That is what the baby switch in 2000-2002 did. Lexie's bond with Zack needed to be built up, as did Hope's bond with JT. Otherwise, the climax would've had no impact. The whole story needed to play all the beats or else there would be nothing for the audience to feel at the end of it. Same goes here. Sami and EJ had to go through the pain of losing a child they thought was theirs so that when they find their real child, the emotional resonance is great. The relationship between Sami and EJ is also at the heart of it, as is the Nicole/EJ and Sami/Rafe relationships. Hell, Will/Mia/Chad and Brady/Nicole is even in play. This story touches many relationships. Stefano and EJ's bond will be affected as well. You need to build the story up to reach full impact or you have an ending that does nothing for the audience or the show long-term (something like Y&R or GH would do nowadays). Otherwise, why bother?

This will open up many story opportunities as a result and that is the point of stories like this. You get tons of mileage out of them. One of the mistakes soaps made was turning to quick as lightning pacing, thinking that is what the audience wants because a select few like event-driven storytelling. That was wrong. You tell the story at a natural pace that works for the story you telling. Build it up to have long-term ramifications. I'm glad Days got back to that. In every story, I can see long-term ramifications right now. That is what soaps are about. Plan for today but also tomorrow.
Bravo! :applause: :applause: :applause: You explained that so well. Love reading your posts. I agree that Tomlin has done so many things right for Days and I am loving how this storyline has been built up and will have outcomes that will last for long time to come. Can't wait to see it all play out!

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I do see the long term planning, but I miss the little sub-plots woven into this story throughout July and August. It made this story lose the momentum it built during the DK war and the wedding. Now, it has to built itself up and I'm glad that its finally rolling.

I do hope that Rafe's part of this is over because I would have rather EJ, even Sami, been the ones to piece the clues together. I also think another poster suggested bringing in more citizens of Salem (i.e Lexie) into the SL. Lexie is a doctor, so knows about DNA AND knows what Nicole is going through with the whole thing she pulled long ago. She's also a DiMera, so she knows the pull of Steffy.

I do appreciate that TPTB put some thought into this story, but they should have put a little more into it!
Edited by Liz<3Days, Sep 9 2009, 06:33 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Sep 9 2009, 02:53 PM
I think EJ fans should be very happy with this. Rafe knows everything and that means his part in it is practically over. They will lock him away with Meredith and focus on the rest of characters slowly unwrapping the mystery as well. EJ and Nicol have sex and they are planning to go on a honeymoon and there was also some talk about his upcoming birthday. Knowing Tomlinīs love for irony and foreshadowing itīs obvious things are about the get very ugly for them.
I agree. I suppose I see why EJ fans are upset but, to me, it makes no sense for EJ to put the pieces together when he's been played this whole time. It would actually make him look even more stupid IMO to have him figure it out. EJ was blinded to everything Nicole did early on IMO. The way things ended with Sami left him in an emotional turmoil and he was just sick of the whole situation. Nicole was pregnant so he opted to settle down and move on. Nicole was giving him everything he wanted. She loved him for who he was and let him act as he wanted. She was having his child and loved him. She was everything he wanted and he didn't want to lose that, not after losing Sami. I just feel he was blinded by his love for Nicole and desire to live the life he wanted so that is why he let so much slide early on. EJ got more and more suspicious with time but the trail had gotten pretty cold by then and then there was all the Kiriakis/Dimera war and the Grace drama. Of course, it helped Nicole to have Stefano on her side.

Rafe makes the most sense to figure this out. Besides his relationship with Sami, he's an outsider. He's an FBI agent. It's in his character In his first two months on the show, he spied on EJ and Nicole by breaking into the mansion. He's always been suspicious of Nicole only he could be objective about it, unlike EJ.

Marian

But... the baby switch HASN'T been exposed. Rafe ends up locked up. It's not EXPOSED. It's just that someone else is in on it. I'm so tired of of this s/l going nowhere. I want it to END! They can drag on the ramifications all they want. I just want Sami and EJ to know!
Edited by Marian, Sep 9 2009, 06:04 PM.

Tammy101
Member Avatar

Sucktastic! EJ is barely mentioned in his own story and the world's worst character figures the whole thing out....like 7+3=73???I hate this!

Nicole Walker

It's pretty funny how Rafe has taken over this storyline. LOL.

Taelyn

Rafe is going to solve it because HE is Sami's Hero.. They love eachother deeply, and this is the core a good love story.

I know its not the love story that Ej/Sami fans have wanted.. But its the 'Love Story' we all have regardless.
His background, and his love for Sami makes it perfectly sensible that he invesitgate. I agree that EJ has become something of a distant player in it all, but Im sure that will change when he discovers the truth.. I fully expect him to keep the truth from Sami, and fight her at every angle when she does know the truth.. I expect he will stay married to Nicole to secure his hold on Sydney, but I think he will put her somewhere away from him in his anger/hatred .. atleast for awhile. It will be interesting to see how things play out with Stephano. No doubt Father will explain it in such a way it all makes perfect sense tho I see it changing the relationship between them. Im personally hoping Nicole finds herself pregnant again and is able to carry the next one to term.
But thats me.

I do agree they should include other Salamites in the story.. Rafe should have bonds with Roman and Bo, or atleast Brady or Dr Dan, I find it strange that he is doing everything alone, and Aria is his only friend other than Sami.. I also firmly believe his sister Arianna is an undercover drug agent.

I too am loving the longer story that makes room for investment.
Edited by Taelyn, Sep 10 2009, 03:22 AM.

cebryan333

I have a feeling they will erase Rafe memory of finding this all out and put us back in the same hell as before!!!

cebryan333

It said "smashes him in the head" they're so going to make him forget this!

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Taelyn
Sep 10 2009, 03:15 AM

I know its not the love story that Ej/Sami fans have wanted.. But its the 'Love Story' we all have regardless.
For now. This week. And then next week Rafe will disappear from the picture for a while (presumably being 'tied up' with Meredith) and the next phase of the story begins. EJ is on the cusp of finding out the Nicole lied about her miscarriage and will operate under the incorrect assumption that Sydney is actually Mia and Chad's baby. I do think EJ will refrain from throwing Nicole out on her azz in an effort to hold on to Sydney and that's where we'll be for the next while.

In the meantime, with both Rafe and Nicole out of their orbits, so to speak, EJami will undoubtedly begin to grow closer. They will first take tentative steps in bonding over Johnny again...and during that time I suspect that EJ will find he enjoys spending time with Sami, Johnny AND Sydney. And we all know how drawn Sami is to Sydney - and why. So slowly but surely Sami and EJ will bond with their children prior to the truth coming out. I'm not quite sure how the truth will finally be revealed but I think when it is, they will both be thrilled to realize their daughter is alive and well. I don't see EJ keeping Sydney away from Sami. In fact, I suspect if anyone will try to manipulate the situation at that point it could be Rafe. Once he's untied or whatever is going to happen to him, I doubt he'll be very happy at all to find that Sami and EJ are once again very much a part of each other's lives.

Taking AZ's maternity leave into consideration, I still think we might see Nicole decide to run with Sydney once the entire truth comes out - and EJami will then be desperately working together to find them.

MrsDimera

Nicole Dimera
Sep 9 2009, 11:46 AM
Damn before he can even get a DNA test done Meredith smashes him over the head. I wonder if Rafe will remember what he found out. Is it just me or has EJ become a minor player in this story. I don't even feel it's about him anymore at all. It's more about RAfe, Sami and Nicole now.
EJ is what Lucas was in the Dan/Chloe/Kate storyline.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

Taelyn
Rafe is going to solve it because HE is Sami's Hero.. They love eachother deeply, and this is the core a good love story.

His background, and his love for Sami makes it perfectly sensible that he invesitgate. I agree that EJ has become something of a distant player in it all, but Im sure that will change when he discovers the truth.. I fully expect him to keep the truth from Sami, and fight her at every angle when she does know the truth.. I expect he will stay married to Nicole to secure his hold on Sydney, but I think he will put her somewhere away from him in his anger/hatred .. atleast for awhile. It will be interesting to see how things play out with Stephano. No doubt Father will explain it in such a way it all makes perfect sense tho I see it changing the relationship between them. Im personally hoping Nicole finds herself pregnant again and is able to carry the next one to term.
But thats me.

I do agree they should include other Salamites in the story.. Rafe should have bonds with Roman and Bo, or atleast Brady or Dr Dan, I find it strange that he is doing everything alone, and Aria is his only friend other than Sami.. I also firmly believe his sister Arianna is an undercover drug agent.

I love your post. It is spot on!!!
This is a good core love story-- one that DAYS has needed for a long, long time. I agree that when EJ finds out, he will probably keep the info from Sami to get back at her.
I also, would like to see Rafe have ties with someone else in Salem besides Ari. Maybe, he is working with and for the Salem PD undercover to expose the Dimeras and that's why they have isolated him from others. I remember that he and Roman talked about how Roman was interested in bringing Stefano down and Rafe said he would be glad to help. Perhaps that is why Roman is so aloof when it comes to Rafe.

Livie

I love the faith of die hard EJami's. But this EJ lost me at "Nicole would never lie to me" or one of five hundred other platitudes he said in his never ending groveling to both her and his Fatha.

Rafe had it right when he asked Nicole about the whereabouts of "clueless husband". Leading romantic men do not act like this EJ has. He stinks so bad now, it is painful. So what if he and Sami get together to bond over the kids? Rafe is the one who has gone the extra mile to help her while EJ was hiding away, his head tucked tween his legs to cover his pain over Sami rejecting him? This is not a man. I hate what has happened to this once dynamic character. So what will he do when he finds out the truth?

Say sowwy? He has been destroyed and should be retired to the Salem attic with Carrie and Colin.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

I don't know that erasing Rafe's memory would work b/c Ari knows about everything he found out, and Brady knows that Mia gave her baby to Nicole and that Nicole had a miscarriage. With that knowledge, one of them would put all the pieces together and come to the same conclusion that Rafe did. Plus,don't forget Sami suspects that Rafe feels something was going on with Dr. Baker and Grace, too.

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Sep 10 2009, 08:04 AM
Taelyn

For now. This week. And then next week Rafe will disappear from the picture for a while (presumably being 'tied up' with Meredith) and the next phase of the story begins. EJ is on the cusp of finding out the Nicole lied about her miscarriage and will operate under the incorrect assumption that Sydney is actually Mia and Chad's baby. I do think EJ will refrain from throwing Nicole out on her azz in an effort to hold on to Sydney and that's where we'll be for the next while.

In the meantime, with both Rafe and Nicole out of their orbits, so to speak, EJami will undoubtedly begin to grow closer. They will first take tentative steps in bonding over Johnny again...and during that time I suspect that EJ will find he enjoys spending time with Sami, Johnny AND Sydney. And we all know how drawn Sami is to Sydney - and why. So slowly but surely Sami and EJ will bond with their children prior to the truth coming out. I'm not quite sure how the truth will finally be revealed but I think when it is, they will both be thrilled to realize their daughter is alive and well. I don't see EJ keeping Sydney away from Sami. In fact, I suspect if anyone will try to manipulate the situation at that point it could be Rafe. Once he's untied or whatever is going to happen to him, I doubt he'll be very happy at all to find that Sami and EJ are once again very much a part of each other's lives.

Taking AZ's maternity leave into consideration, I still think we might see Nicole decide to run with Sydney once the entire truth comes out - and EJami will then be desperately working together to find them.
Yep.I see it all happening.The thaw has begun already for Ejami...yeah still harsh words right now,,but softening soon.Great post...as usual

jam6242
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Sep 9 2009, 04:18 PM

This IS classic soap opera. People act like this is some sort of Passions thing but it isn't. Most of the best soap stories were stories that took this long, if not longer, to come out. The best stories are ones that go on for a long time, play all the beats, and involve many characters over time. That makes the payoff worth it in the end.

So true. I'm an old-timer and one of the biggest storylines ever on Days was the secret of Mike Horton's paternity in the late 60s/early 70s. I think it took 6-7 years for it to come out that Bill Horton, and not Mickey, was Mike's biological father. Up to that time, only Bill, Laura, and Tom, Sr. knew (and briefly, before she died, Tommy, Jr's ex-wife). Bill Bell was writing for Days for most of that period and was able to keep viewers interested for that long. Of course, I know we viewers (including me) aren't quite as patient as we were then!
Edited by jam6242, Sep 11 2009, 09:01 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply