Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; 9/14 - 9/18
Topic Started: Sep 14 2009, 11:28 AM (6,404 Views)
Ellie

DAYS OF OUR LIVES
9/14 - 9/18

Discuss. :smile:

Classic Clip: Marlena wakes from her coma, 1986.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

John and Marlena. :(

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

loved the stefano/kate scenes today. i really would like to see those two in cahoots, so i was sorry kate didn't turn to him for help with chloe and daniel. kate has never before had any qualms about teaming up with a person that previously hurt one of her kids, so long as it benefits her.

sami pisses me off. first off, i'm annoyed that show keeps having to tell us how much sami grieved for grace. perhaps if the writers hadn't spent so much time in the weeks after grace's death showing us how hot rafe and sami were for another, it would be a different story. but since they did do that, we're now forced to listen to sami whine and cry about how upset she was instead of them just showing sami working through the griving process at the time. i will agree with her on one point and that is that rafe definitely helped her get over grace-albeit with his favorite game 'hide the salami.' secondly, i hate how sami constantly flings the fact that ej and nicole have a healthy baby at home in their face. this is getting old. sami is not childless. she has three other children, two of whom she just shipped off to europe. so i'm finding it pretty hard to sympathize with her right now.

i'm surprised rafe hasn't put two and two together and figured out that the hired goons that killed baker were most likely employed by stefano. i'll give nicole as much credit as i can, but let's get real here. anytime a masked man kills someone in town, the first suspect is usually stefano, and rightly so.

i wish they'd move the chloe story along a little faster. they took a break for a week and now we're back to where we started even tho it appeared that chloe improved after the last dose daniel gave her.

thanks for posting the clip, ellie.

Edited by luvpumpkns, Sep 14 2009, 11:54 AM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I'm watching my first episode of Days in eons today, but I have a question --- who the fuck are these people?!?!

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

luvpumpkns
Sep 14 2009, 11:54 AM
loved the stefano/kate scenes today. i really would like to see those two in cahoots, so i was sorry kate didn't turn to him for help with chloe and daniel. kate has never before had any qualms about teaming up with a person that previously hurt one of her kids, so long as it benefits her.

sami pisses me off. first off, i'm annoyed that show keeps having to tell us how much sami grieved for grace. perhaps if the writers hadn't spent so much time in the weeks after grace's death showing us how hot rafe and sami were for another, it would be a different story. but since they did do that, we're now forced to listen to sami whine and cry about how upset she was instead of them just showing sami working through the griving process at the time. i will agree with her on one point and that is that rafe definitely helped her get over grace-albeit with his favorite game 'hide the salami.' secondly, i hate how sami constantly flings the fact that ej and nicole have a healthy baby at home in their face. this is getting old. sami is not childless. she has three other children, two of whom she just shipped off to europe. so i'm finding it pretty hard to sympathize with her right now.

i'm surprised rafe hasn't put two and two together and figured out that the hired goons that killed baker were most likely employed by stefano. i'll give nicole as much credit as i can, but let's get real here. anytime a masked man kills someone in town, the first suspect is usually stefano, and rightly so.

i wish they'd move the chloe story along a little faster. they took a break for a week and now we're back to where we started even tho it appeared that chloe improved after the last dose daniel gave her.

How did the writers show us how hot Sami and Rafe were for each other? OK, they made love a few times, but it certainly wasn't a constant thing. Sometimes people express their grief with someone they love and who is going through the same thing by being close and intimate. There is nothing strange or abnormal about that. Different people express their grief differently and at different times in the grieving process. To say that Rafe helped her through her grief by playing "hide the salami" is ridiculous. He was a wonderful, strong, kind, supportive man to her -- Sami's words to EJ.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Matt
Sep 14 2009, 12:44 PM
I'm watching my first episode of Days in eons today, but I have a question --- who the fuck are these people?!?!
A better question might be -- "what the fuck is this show?!?!"

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

LMAO.

I still get a laugh when I read comments asking "Who are these people?" or "What show am I watching?"

Do you really expect to know all this when you admittedly don't watch regularly, if at all?

Also, I really don't know what is so unrecognizable. Most of the characters today have been with the show for awhile (EJ, Stefano, Sami, Nicole, Justin, Chloe, Daniel, Kate, Roman, Brady, Rafe).
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Sep 14 2009, 12:57 PM.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Sep 14 2009, 12:56 PM
I still get a laugh when I read comments asking "Who are these people?" or "What show am I watching?"

Do you really expect to know all this when you admittedly don't watch regularly, if at all?
The answer to that is, YES! That's how soaps work. I think I've shared this before, but last year I was telling a friend of mine that I watch Days, and she said: "Days of Our Lives! I haven't watched that in years. How are Jack and Jennifer??" I've heard similar "How's Marlena?" or, "What's new with Victor?" comments over the years as well. That's what people expect from soaps. If a lapsed viewer (such as our friend Matt here) tunes in and finds the show unrecognizable, there's a very slim chance that Days will retain him as a viewer. Tim, it's not just by counting names, as you're doing here. If the viewer has a perception that their "Salem family" is now made up of strangers, then they don't feel part of the family anymore.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

magicsteacher
Sep 14 2009, 12:48 PM
How did the writers show us how hot Sami and Rafe were for each other? OK, they made love a few times, but it certainly wasn't a constant thing. Sometimes people express their grief with someone they love and who is going through the same thing by being close and intimate. There is nothing strange or abnormal about that. Different people express their grief differently and at different times in the grieving process. To say that Rafe helped her through her grief by playing "hide the salami" is ridiculous. He was a wonderful, strong, kind, supportive man to her -- Sami's words to EJ.
my opinion is what it is. yours is different, so there's no reason for either one of us to start calling the other ridiculous. let's just agree to disagree. for you, sami's word is gospel, and rafe is the bestest, smartest most wonderful guy in the world. clearly, my feelings on the two are quite the opposite. i suggest we just leave it at that.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

magicsteacher
Sep 14 2009, 12:48 PM
luvpumpkns
Sep 14 2009, 11:54 AM

Other than watching Sami walk around for a couple of weeks with little or no makeup on - I don't recall seeing much in regard to her grief over losing Grace. Her almost immediate focus after the funeral was moving Rafe in and then finding out about his past. I was extremely disappointed that we saw so little of the impact on Grace's death for Sami. It was portrayed as being much more devastating for EJ - which even as a EJami fan - I find hard to believe. EJ has basically grieved all Summer...Sami? Not so much. She's been far more focused on Rafe and being pals with Nicole.

It's crappy writing, no doubt about it. Ali Sweeney did a fantastic job in the initial stages of the story so it's not as though she wouldn't have been able to continue to carry that on. It would have made a lot more sense to see Sami withdraw and focus on her grief rather than her "flavor of the month".

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I did recognize Sami, EJ, Nicole, Stefano, Roman, Daniel, Justin, Luis, Ethan, Theresa.... err.... wait....

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

Ellie
Sep 14 2009, 01:00 PM
The answer to that is, YES! That's how soaps work. I think I've shared this before, but last year I was telling a friend of mine that I watch Days, and she said: "Days of Our Lives! I haven't watched that in years. How are Jack and Jennifer??" I've heard similar "How's Marlena?" or, "What's new with Victor?" comments over the years as well. That's what people expect from soaps. If a lapsed viewer (such as our friend Matt here) tunes in and finds the show unrecognizable, there's a very slim chance that Days will retain him as a viewer. Tim, it's not just by counting names, as you're doing here. If the viewer has a perception that their "Salem family" is now made up of strangers, then they don't feel part of the family anymore.
ellie, i have to say that it surprised me that people expect that. for example, i grew up watching AMC in the 80's/early 90's. if i tune in today, sure i expect to see erica, but i wouldn't be upset or chagrined to find that tad, dixie, trevor, janet, etc have all gone their seperate ways. i just don't think you can tune into a show years after you loved it and expect it have the same characters. perhaps days is a bit different in that they axed so many of their beloved vets in such a short period of time, but i wouldn't say other shows haven't done the same. of all the major players i listed from AMC from a decade ago, how many are still on the show? just susan lucci, i'm pretty sure.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Sep 14 2009, 01:00 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 14 2009, 12:56 PM

Shows change. Yes, Days underwent a massive overhaul but it's done that before. If you don't watch regularly, you can't get to know the characters well enough to get that family sense you speak of.

Once upon a time, characters like Jack, Jen, Kayla, Steve, John, Marlena, etc were strangers too. It took people giving the show a chance and watching regularly to make those characters as successful as they were. The writing was undoubtedly better but that is besides the point. If you don't watch enough, you can't possibly know what is going on and get to know these characters. And it's not like the show forced them down people's throats. Melanie was the only one who got forced on the audience. The others were slowly introduced with moderate airtime and most have their share of fans already.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Matt
Sep 14 2009, 01:08 PM
I did recognize Sami, EJ, Nicole, Stefano, Roman, Daniel, Justin, Luis, Ethan, Theresa.... err.... wait....
LMAO :laugh: .

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Well.... It hasn't even been a year since the last time I watched. I think Nicole & Sami were both knocked up at the time.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Matt
Sep 14 2009, 01:12 PM
Well.... It hasn't even been a year since the last time I watched. I think Nicole & Sami were both knocked up at the time.
Just for the record, I get what your saying and I'm not trying to dismiss it.

The show went through a major change but it's happened before. I can be jarring but I think that is more the case for people that don't watch consistently. I'm not saying people will necessarily like what they see if they watch regularly because we all differ on what we like, obviously. But as far as knowing the characters and what is going on, it's just hard to do that if you don't watch enough. That, to me, speaks for itself.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

PhoenixRising05
Sep 14 2009, 01:14 PM
Matt

The show went through a major change but it's happened before. I can be jarring but I think that is more the case for people that don't watch consistently. I'm not saying people will necessarily like what they see if they watch regularly because we all differ on what we like, obviously. But as far as knowing the characters and what is going on, it's just hard to do that if you don't watch enough. That, to me, speaks for itself.
which could explain why no one is watching any of the soaps in a record lack of numbers

lysie
Member Avatar

My mom watches Y&R and watched it when I was little (like 5). She always thought I wasn't paying attention. When I was about 21, I asked her what a string of characters were up to. First of all, she was shocked that I knew their names. Second of all, they were all still there. Third, I think they were still doing the same thing.

A lot of my friends watched Days in the mid to late 90s. When they would watch with me up until recently they knew who most everyone was.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Matt
Sep 14 2009, 01:16 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 14 2009, 01:14 PM
Matt

which could explain why no one is watching any of the soaps in a record lack of numbers
Maybe but I tend to think there is more to it then that.

I just don't get it. At some point, a show needs to change. You can't keep riding stale characters out there. I loved John, Marlena, Steve, Kayla, etc too but I don't want to see the same crap over and over again and it wasn't exactly helping the show keeping them around. The show is pulling in the same numbers or a little better then that without them. The time had come to either shift them to the background as supporting players or cut them completely. Sadly, the show couldn't afford to keep them around in minimized roles so they got rid of them.

I've sat through one cast turnover after the other and not just in regards to Days but with other soaps too. It happens. It's difficult and some soaps handle it better then others. I don't expect everyone to deal with it as nonchalantly as I do. Maybe i"m just used to it and alot more easier to please. I just think you can't expect to know what is going on or the character if you don't watch. Imagine if people acted in the same vein as they did now in the late 70's and 80's or even the 90's. They would've missed out on the very characters they miss today. If that don't prove my point, I don't know what does.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Sep 14 2009, 01:10 PM
Once upon a time, characters like Jack, Jen, Kayla, Steve, John, Marlena, etc were strangers too.
But the question is, were they strangers all at the same time? Nope. I think this addresses Matt's point as well. If someone hasn't watched in 20 years, of course he should expect to see some new people, though as I'm saying, one unique facet of soaps is that even after a long period of time, a viewer can still see familiar faces. But to take a year off and then find the show largely unrecognizable is, imo, completely counterproductive for the show. I mean, Tim, you have a Carly avatar because you're so excited that someone from 1991 is coming back! If Days is trying to get renewed, they might do well to make current and lapsed viewers feel at home rather than alienate those few viewers who are trying to tune back in.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply