Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; 9/14 - 9/18
Topic Started: Sep 14 2009, 11:28 AM (6,408 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Also, when new characters were introduced, they were focused heavily in scenes with established, well known characters until they, themselves, became well known. I saw characters today whom I didn't know interacting with other characters I didn't know. Consquently, this shows me that this is a show I don't know.

Let's use tha aforementioned Carly Manning example. When Carly was introduced, she was introduced through Justin & Adrienne (their honeymoon). She then came to Salem as a doctor at University Hospital and was revealed to be Jennifer's bestfriend from boarding school. She was then paired with Bo Brady. Carly's story heavily involved both Jack & Jennifer (who were wildly popular at the time) as well as Bo and then involved Alice who Jennifer drug to Alamainia when she impersonated Carly which then introduced Lawrence who then became involved with.... etc.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Great clip.

Arianna actually made Roman somewhat watchable for me.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Matt
Sep 14 2009, 01:36 PM
Also, when new characters were introduced, they were focused heavily in scenes with established, well known characters until they, themselves, became well known. I saw characters today whom I didn't know interacting with other characters I didn't know. Consquently, this shows me that this is a show I don't know.
I agree - excellent point.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Sure, there are a lot of new people, but most have some ties to the core families. Its the next-gen. Daniel is tied to the Kiriakii. Nathan is tied to the Hortons. Melanie has ties to the Bradys via Max, but now is Maggie's "adopted" daughter. Will's Lucas and Sami's kid.

The only ones not tied to anyone of the core families are Chad, Mia, Rafe, Arianna.

The rest have been on DAYS in the past and come back (Justin) or have been there for years (Vic, Kate, Steffy, EJ, Nicole, Sami, Lucas, Chloe, Bo, Roman, Hope, Lexie, Abe, Maggie.)

The "new" vets outnumber what people call "who are these....?" by a lot.

As for Sami and her insta-grief. The woman has no direction other then chasing men- whether it be flavor of the month Rafe, or someone else. She even looks more pathetic now because she actually can have a job taking care of her kids but the writers decided to ship them off so she can go to the convent and think about Rafe.

This has been Sami ALL HER LIFE! Nothing new....just "traded in" men for the newer version.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Sep 14 2009, 01:27 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 14 2009, 01:10 PM
Once upon a time, characters like Jack, Jen, Kayla, Steve, John, Marlena, etc were strangers too.
But the question is, were they strangers all at the same time? Nope. I think this addresses Matt's point as well. If someone hasn't watched in 20 years, of course he should expect to see some new people, though as I'm saying, one unique facet of soaps is that even after a long period of time, a viewer can still see familiar faces. But to take a year off and then find the show largely unrecognizable is, imo, completely counterproductive for the show. I mean, Tim, you have a Carly avatar because you're so excited that someone from 1991 is coming back! If Days is trying to get renewed, they might do well to make current and lapsed viewers feel at home rather than alienate those few viewers who are trying to tune back in.

Some of them were strangers at the same time. Kim, Shane, Bo, Hope, Steve, and Kayla were all brought on pretty close together. The Brady and Dimera families exploded on to the canvas and if there were message boards the backlash would've been just the same as it is now. Why? Because the Horton's were tossed aside and so were other faves.

There was also the 90's too when Kayla, Kim, Shane, Carly, Lawrence, etc were all tossed away for Carrie, Austin, Sami, and all the other characters JER brought in.

Days still has a ton of recognizable faces. Watching for one day here and there isn't exactly going to represent everything a show is. Days still has Victor, Maggie, Stefano, Sami, Kate, Bo, Hope, Justin, Lucas, Nicole, EJ, Philip, Chloe, Lexie, Abe, Roman, and Caroline and you can toss Brady in there too since he's been on the canvas before (he's a new face but the character is familiar). We see more of vets like Victor, Stefano, and Maggie then we have in ages and they actually are involved and not just shown for the sake of showing them.

To me, this is no different then the 80's or the 90's. It's the same pattern and being handled the same way.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Question: who were the two kids in the hospital room with Chloe today?

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Matt
Sep 14 2009, 01:51 PM
The redheaded girl was one of them? If so, you mean Melanie, and you've definitely not watched in a while if you don't recognize her--she's been shoved down our throats in several storylines for nearly the past year.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Paxton
Sep 14 2009, 01:53 PM
Matt
The redheaded girl was one of them? If so, you mean Melanie, and you've definitely not watched in a while if you don't recognize her--she's been shoved down our throats in several storylines for nearly the past year.
I don't know. She got chewed out by a black nurse who I didn't recognize either and then was in Chloe's room with some young guy and they seemed to act like they were going to inject Chloe with something. I remember when Melanie came on, though, but I thought she was blonde (and ungodly annoying). Isn't she Max's 1/2 sister via Trent? (2 characters not even on the show anymore)

Deleted User
Deleted User

Matt
Sep 14 2009, 01:55 PM
Paxton
Sep 14 2009, 01:53 PM
Matt
I don't know. She got chewed out by a black nurse who I didn't recognize either and then was in Chloe's room with some young guy and they seemed to act like they were going to inject Chloe with something. I remember when Melanie came on, though, but I thought she was blonde (and ungodly annoying). Isn't she Max's 1/2 sister via Trent? (2 characters not even on the show anymore)
That was Melanie. The nurse isn't anyone. The guy is Nathan Horton - Melissa's son.
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Matt
Sep 14 2009, 01:36 PM

Let's use tha aforementioned Carly Manning example. When Carly was introduced, she was introduced through Justin & Adrienne (their honeymoon). She then came to Salem as a doctor at University Hospital and was revealed to be Jennifer's bestfriend from boarding school. She was then paired with Bo Brady. Carly's story heavily involved both Jack & Jennifer (who were wildly popular at the time) as well as Bo and then involved Alice who Jennifer drug to Alamainia when she impersonated Carly which then introduced Lawrence who then became involved with.... etc.
They have done that, Matt. They've had the new characters interacting with the vets and established characters.

Rafe was introduced through Sami. Thanks to Ali's pregnancy, Sami and Rafe didn't get a whole lot of airtime at first but that allowed fans to get used to him before he and Sami got really hot and heavy and he became a major player. He's also been primarily in scenes with Sami, Nicole, and EJ, all established characters.

Melanie was introduced through Max. The show did mess up here because she got way too much focus early on but they wisely had her loose everything, toned her airtime down, and developed and matured her and that changed many people's minds about her. She's living with Maggie now and gets many scenes with her. We also see her interact with Philip, Stephanie, Maggie, and Brady regularly. She's interacted heavily with Bo and Hope early on so she's been in scenes with many established players.

Daniel was introduced through Bo's illness story. He's Victor's Godson. He's interacted with Kate, Victor, Justin, Philip, Chloe, Lexie, Sami, Kayla and Marlena (when they were around) ..pretty much everyone.

Nathan is a Horton and lives with Maggie. He's been in scenes with Bo, Hope, Lucas, and Maggie.

Mia lives with Maggie and has had many scenes with Maggie, Brady, Nicole, EJ, Sami, and Rafe. She could use more scenes with the adult characters but she's had enough since coming on.

Chad just had scenes with Maggie Friday.

As I said, unless you watch regularly, you can't know all this nor can you know the characters. Days has actually done a fantastic job building the canvas. It's the same thing that happened before. Not saying people have to like it but I stand by the fact that it's the same transition that has happened before and unless one chooses to give the show a chance and watches regularly with an open mind, you can't expect to know what is going on or to even like it. That is up to the individual to decide, though. If they don't like what is going on or don't want to invest the time, then that is their decision. All I am saying is watching one day here and there or watching and fast forwarding more then half the show is not how you get to know a show and it's characters and it's not how you make an attempt at investing in a show.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Matt
Sep 14 2009, 01:55 PM
I remember when Melanie came on, though, but I thought she was blonde (and ungodly annoying). Isn't she Max's 1/2 sister via Trent? (2 characters not even on the show anymore)
Well, her hair's been various shades of red/strawberry blond, but I don't think I would ever have called it blond. She was and is incredibly annoying to me, so that description rings true. And yes, she is Max's half sister via Trent. Her mother is unknown and I hope it stays that way but I live every day in fear that they'll decide she's Nicole's child, via a conception, gestational period, and birth that Nicole has never remembered. That will be the day the show is off my TV forever.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Has Maggie's suddenly become the home for wayward teen-aged characters with no real connection to anyone so they've moved into Maggie's to give them a connection? Also, why the hell does this Nathan kid have the last name "Horton"? Even Melissa's last name isn't Horton -- it's Anderson. It's always been Anderson (well, since Bob Anderson adopted her when she was a small child. Before that, her last name was Phillips). There's no reason for Nathan to have the last name of Horton. And who's Chad? And why is it easier to read SOD synopses from over 30 years ago about Somerset (a show cancelled when I was a small child) and still know who the hell everyone is (and who played them), and yet Days is a clusterfuck?

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Sep 14 2009, 02:00 PM
Daniel was introduced through Bo's illness story. He's Victor's Godson. He's interacted with Kate, Victor, Justin, Philip, Chloe, Lexie, Sami, Kayla and Marlena (when they were around) ..pretty much everyone.
I think we're just going to have to disagree again. "Daniel was introduced through Bo's illness story" is not the type of thing I was thinking of. (Not to put words in Matt's mouth, but I don't think it's what he meant either.) Of course a new character is introduced through a story - how else would he/she be introduced?? The idea, imo, is to take a well-known character and slowly bring a new character into his/her orbit. Rafe and Sami, though overdone a bit, used that model. But just saying that "Nathan is a Horton", or "Mia lives with Maggie" doesn't explain to us how or why we should care about these new characters. I think Days has way too many of this type of introductions while having far too few of the type of introductions Matt is referring to.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Matt
Sep 14 2009, 02:06 PM
Has Maggie's suddenly become the home for wayward teen-aged characters with no real connection to anyone so they've moved into Maggie's to give them a connection? Also, why the hell does this Nathan kid have the last name "Horton"? Even Melissa's last name isn't Horton -- it's Anderson. It's always been Anderson (well, since Bob Anderson adopted her when she was a small child. Before that, her last name was Phillips). There's no reason for Nathan to have the last name of Horton. And who's Chad? And why is it easier to read SOD synopses from over 30 years ago about Somerset (a show cancelled when I was a small child) and still know who the hell everyone is (and who played them), and yet Days is a clusterfuck?
Maggie is sort of like the new Alice.

I believe Nathan explained in a scene back in June why he had the name "Horton." He and Maggie also had this long talk over him feeling the pressure of living up to the legacy of Tom Horton. It was really well-done.

Chad is the father of Mia's baby, Grace, who died back in June. Sami thought she was her baby because Nicole switched the babies back in January. Nicole has Sami's real baby.

Back to Chad, he still loves Mia and he hasn't really done much else yet but get a job at the Java Cafe and harass Mia and Will. Admittedly, I was never a big fan of him but I finally managed to enjoy him in scenes with Maggie last week.

Ellie

Matt
Sep 14 2009, 02:06 PM
Has Maggie's suddenly become the home for wayward teen-aged characters with no real connection to anyone so they've moved into Maggie's to give them a connection?
Yes.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Sep 14 2009, 02:10 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 14 2009, 02:00 PM
I think we're just going to have to disagree again. "Daniel was introduced through Bo's illness story" is not the type of thing I was thinking of. (Not to put words in Matt's mouth, but I don't think it's what he meant either.) Of course a new character is introduced through a story - how else would he/she be introduced?? The idea, imo, is to take a well-known character and slowly bring a new character into his/her orbit. Rafe and Sami, though overdone a bit, used that model. But just saying that "Nathan is a Horton", or "Mia lives with Maggie" doesn't explain to us how or why we should care about these new characters. I think Days has way too many of this type of introductions while having far too few of the type of introductions Matt is referring to.
I know what you and Matt were saying. I just wanted to be brief because I didn't feel like typing up a two page post.

I stand by what I said. The show did do what you both said they should've and unless someone watched regularly during the past year or so, you can't possibly know that.

Your right though. We will have to agree to disagree. I probably shouldn't have started the debate in the first place but Matt never really comments in this Days thread so I figured it was a chance to get into some good discussion, an opportunity I don't see too much around here anymore, hence why I don't post much, if at all, anymore.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Sep 14 2009, 02:14 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Well, if Maggie is the new Alice, then they need to bring back either Melissa (Nathan's mother) or Sarah (Maggie's bio-daughter). Melissa is a little younger than Hope (well, after Hope got SORASed first in the 1980s. Actually, Melissa was born first) and Sarah is Carrie's age (making her roughly a little bit older than Sami).

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Matt
Sep 14 2009, 02:14 PM
Well, if Maggie is the new Alice, then they need to bring back either Melissa (Nathan's mother) or Sarah (Maggie's bio-daughter). Melissa is a little younger than Hope (well, after Hope got SORASed first in the 1980s. Actually, Melissa was born first) and Sarah is Carrie's age (making her roughly a little bit older than Sami).
I agree.

That is the one angle missing. I believe the show needs a young Horton female. Sarah would be perfect. In fact, I would much rather see a Sarah/Brady pairing then a Brady/Arianna one.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Okay, who was the kid talking to Rafe at Java today? I didn't know who she was either. Who's the mother of this baby Rafe has lost?

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

she's unimportant, just a nurse that was supposedly there the night sami gave birth and nicole switched the babies. rafe is just getting information out of her, tho i don't think it will lead anywhere. as for rafe, he's not anyone's father, that i'm aware of. he and sami consider him to be grace's father, but ej is her biological father. rafe raised her for the few months she was alive, tho.
Edited by luvpumpkns, Sep 14 2009, 02:31 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply