Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; 9/14 - 9/18
Topic Started: Sep 14 2009, 11:28 AM (6,383 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Sep 14 2009, 02:13 PM
I probably shouldn't have started the debate in the first place but Matt never really comments in this Days thread so I figured it was a chance to get into some good discussion, an opportunity I don't see too much around here anymore, hence why I don't post much, if at all, anymore.
Wait a minute.

Why are you bashing the board? From what I've seen, this debate between you, Matt and Ellie has been very respectful. You're all arguing your points in a concise, adult manner and the conversation has remained cordial -- yet all of a sudden you're saying that it was a mistake to start this debate because it's impossible to have a good discussion at this board anymore. What makes you say that? Did you just not want Ellie joining in on the conversation? Did you only want to engage Matt and no one else?

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Neither Matt or Ellie have done anything to cross the line in this debate. In fact, they've been completely respectful -- which is why your sudden turnaround and subtle bashing of the board has me perplexed. Do you not consider the last two pages of this thread to be a good discussion? If not, why? Is it because people disagree with you?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jane1978

Matt
Sep 14 2009, 01:36 PM
Also, when new characters were introduced, they were focused heavily in scenes with established, well known characters until they, themselves, became well known. I saw characters today whom I didn't know interacting with other characters I didn't know. Consquently, this shows me that this is a show I don't know.

Let's use tha aforementioned Carly Manning example. When Carly was introduced, she was introduced through Justin & Adrienne (their honeymoon). She then came to Salem as a doctor at University Hospital and was revealed to be Jennifer's bestfriend from boarding school. She was then paired with Bo Brady. Carly's story heavily involved both Jack & Jennifer (who were wildly popular at the time) as well as Bo and then involved Alice who Jennifer drug to Alamainia when she impersonated Carly which then introduced Lawrence who then became involved with.... etc.
You can tell the same about all the new characters now. When Rafe was introduced he first spend few months in isolation with Sami. Arianna fell in love with Brady and got friendly with Melanie, who is not a totall newbie anymore, and now is in the story with Victor.

Mia was first introduced in the story with Nicol, eventually got involved with Will and she now lives with Maggie.

Melanie was introduced as Max Brady sister, was shortly involved with Nick, got into a conflict with Phillip, won Maggie´s trust and now lives with her and is friend with Brady and in the story with Phillip and Nathan.

Nathan is Maggie´s grandson and he talks about his Horton´s roots a lot. Daniel is Victor´s godson and at first was involved with Chelsea Brady, who is daugher of Bo and Billie. Now he is in love with Chloe and plays love/hate games with Kate.

Bo, Hope, Victor, Maggie, Sami, Nicol, Phillip, Brady (recasted), Chloe, Lucas, Kate are all vet characters who are still on the show and featured a lot. In fact, Maggie and Victor have more airtime than most of the 00´s. I understand people are upset Jarlena and Stayla were let go but saying the show is unrecognizable just because these four are gone is exaggeration.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Sep 14 2009, 02:31 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 14 2009, 02:13 PM
I probably shouldn't have started the debate in the first place but Matt never really comments in this Days thread so I figured it was a chance to get into some good discussion, an opportunity I don't see too much around here anymore, hence why I don't post much, if at all, anymore.
Wait a minute.

Why are you bashing the board? From what I've seen, this debate between you, Matt and Ellie has been very respectful. You're all arguing your points in a concise, adult manner and the conversation has remained cordial -- yet all of a sudden you're saying that it was a mistake to start this debate because it's impossible to have a good discussion at this board anymore. What makes you say that? Did you just not want Ellie joining in on the conversation? Did you only want to engage Matt and no one else?

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Neither Matt or Ellie have done anything to cross the line in this debate. In fact, they've been completely respectful -- which is why your sudden turnaround and subtle bashing of the board has me perplexed. Do you not consider the last two pages of this thread to be a good discussion? If not, why? Is it because people disagree with you?
None of the above.

I, personally, don't see a whole lot if good discussion going on. It's probably just me. I used to see interesting points of discussion all over the place. Now, it's alot of fanbase ranting and raving or comments being made that don't really spark anything (merely people voicing their opinion). Maybe it's because some of the posters who used to always spark good discussion no longer are watching Days or other soaps or aren't posting as much. I don't know. Things have changed, which happens I suppose but things no longer feel the same. That isn't meant to be a slight at anyone, especially not the board. It's more or less something that has been on my mind for awhile.

I enjoyed this discussion and it was kept respectful. I wish there was more of it.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Sep 14 2009, 02:45 PM
Matt
Sep 14 2009, 01:36 PM
Also, when new characters were introduced, they were focused heavily in scenes with established, well known characters until they, themselves, became well known. I saw characters today whom I didn't know interacting with other characters I didn't know. Consquently, this shows me that this is a show I don't know.

Let's use tha aforementioned Carly Manning example. When Carly was introduced, she was introduced through Justin & Adrienne (their honeymoon). She then came to Salem as a doctor at University Hospital and was revealed to be Jennifer's bestfriend from boarding school. She was then paired with Bo Brady. Carly's story heavily involved both Jack & Jennifer (who were wildly popular at the time) as well as Bo and then involved Alice who Jennifer drug to Alamainia when she impersonated Carly which then introduced Lawrence who then became involved with.... etc.
You can tell the same about all the new characters now. When Rafe was introduced he first spend few months in isolation with Sami. Arianna fell in love with Brady and got friendly with Melanie, who is not a totall newbie anymore, and now is in the story with Victor.

Mia was first introduced in the story with Nicol, eventually got involved with Will and she now lives with Maggie.

Melanie was introduced as Max Brady sister, was shortly involved with Nick, got into a conflict with Phillip, won Maggie´s trust and now lives with her and is friend with Brady and in the story with Phillip and Nathan.

Nathan is Maggie´s grandson and he talks about his Horton´s roots a lot. Daniel is Victor´s godson and at first was involved with Chelsea Brady, who is daugher of Bo and Billie. Now he is in love with Chloe and plays love/hate games with Kate.

Bo, Hope, Victor, Maggie, Sami, Nicol, Phillip, Brady (recasted), Chloe, Lucas, Kate are all vet characters who are still on the show and featured a lot. In fact, Maggie and Victor have more airtime than most of the 00´s. I understand people are upset Jarlena and Stayla were let go but saying the show is unrecognizable just because these four are gone is exaggeration.

I was hoping you would chime in. AWESOME POST! :hail: .

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Maybe it's just been longer since I watched than I thought. But I've taken breaks before (for whatever reason) and always managed to tune back in and at least have a clue what was going on. Hell, I've watched Days for going on 30 years and I'm currently clueless. lol Maybe I just happened to tune in on newbie day.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

The other day I saw a picture of the 4th of July barbecue picture from 2007. That was just over two years ago. I won't repost it here, but the following people were pictured:

Alice
Maggie
Steve
Kayla
John
Marlena
Jeremy
Stephanie
Jett Carver & fiancee
Chelsea
Bo
Hope
Ciara
Nick
Doug
Julie
Caroline
Max
Shawn
Belle
Claire
Shawn Sr.

That's 22 people. Of those, Frances Reid obviously is sadly not going to be seen again, or I think we would have seen her this past year. Of those 22, only eight are still in Salem, and that's IF you count Doug and Julie, who we almost never see. Frank Parker, Brandon Beemer, Martha Madison, Blake Berris, Trevor Donovan, Marcus Patrick & fiancee, whatever her name was, Deidre Hall, Drake Hogestyn, Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans--all left involuntarily. All of them except TD, MP & fiancee had played characters who had been on the canvas at least fifteen years (I didn't technically count Claire), and in some cases since the '80s.

I understand that times change. I understand that the younger generation is going to come to the forefront. I don't mind new characters who are slowly and properly introduced. But I think it is a very valid point when people say this doesn't feel like the Days they are used to watching. I don't see what makes than an invalid opinon, just because there have been new characters in the past and older ones phased out.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Paxton
Sep 14 2009, 02:57 PM
The other day I saw a picture of the 4th of July barbecue picture from 2007. That was just over two years ago. I won't repost it here, but the following people were pictured:

Alice
Maggie
Steve
Kayla
John
Marlena
Jeremy
Stephanie
Jett Carver & fiancee
Chelsea
Bo
Hope
Ciara
Nick
Doug
Julie
Caroline
Max
Shawn
Belle
Claire
Shawn Sr.

That's 22 people. Of those, Frances Reid obviously is sadly not going to be seen again, or I think we would have seen her this past year. Of those 22, only eight are still in Salem, and that's IF you count Doug and Julie, who we almost never see. Frank Parker, Brandon Beemer, Martha Madison, Blake Berris, Trevor Donovan, Marcus Patrick & fiancee, whatever her name was, Deidre Hall, Drake Hogestyn, Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans--all left involuntarily. All of them except TD, MP & fiancee had played characters who had been on the canvas at least fifteen years (I didn't technically count Claire), and in some cases since the '80s.

I understand that times change. I understand that the younger generation is going to come to the forefront. I don't mind new characters who are slowly and properly introduced. But I think it is a very valid point when people say this doesn't feel like the Days they are used to watching. I don't see what makes than an invalid opinon, just because there have been new characters in the past and older ones phased out.
Exactly. And you add that to what Ellie said, it's one thing for a viewer who hasn't watched in 10 years to be lost when tuning in, but to have such a massive cast change in two years (well, less really) makes it pretty much a different show. And I'd like to take a moment to mention one thing that has never changed from Days over the years was the holiday episodes. I might stop watching throughout the year but I loved tuning into those during Christmas, Thanksgiving and Fourth of July. Returning to Days in 2006 made those holidays all the more special.

Dena obviously doesn't do holiday episodes at all, no focus on family. It's about the PLOTS not the characters, which is why her stories are turning many people off.

jane1978

Paxton
Sep 14 2009, 02:57 PM

Alice
Maggie
Steve
Kayla
John
Marlena
Jeremy
Stephanie
Jett Carver & fiancee
Chelsea
Bo
Hope
Ciara
Nick
Doug
Julie
Caroline
Max
Shawn
Belle
Claire
Shawn Sr.

I think this is very unfair comparison. The people you are listed weren´t the entire cast. Many nonlisted are still on. And half of the listed are supporting characters or left on their own.

For all people hating Tomlin and saying he changed the show beyond reason the fact is he fired only 6 characters so far, and four from that six already spend months and months on backburner before he even came on. People are already unhappy because Bope are about to split and involved into another triangle/qudrangle. Now imagine if all the supercouples were still on and they would have to do not one, but four kidnapping/brainwashing/possesed/past lover returnee stories and there would be not much place for anything else.

Ellie

jane1978
Sep 14 2009, 02:45 PM
I understand people are upset Jarlena and Stayla were let go but saying the show is unrecognizable just because these four are gone is exaggeration.
Jane, I disagree with what you're saying, and in fact my response to Tim above basically covers why I disagree, but I'm sure you can understand why it might bother me when people say my viewpoint only comes from the fact that my favorite characters are gone. Matt and I are arguing the same thing here, and as far as I know, he didn't have a favorite character leave. I think the show is unrecognizable because of the number of new characters, and I didn't mention any of the fired vets in my posts. I try to explain my viewpoints logically in these threads, and just as I try to read the posts of others carefully and consider what they're saying, I appreciate it when people do the same with my posts instead of dismissing my arguments by saying I'm just upset that Marlena isn't there anymore. In fact, I sometimes joke with friends that I should create an alias to try to argue these points, lol. (JUST KIDDING! It's not allowed here. :P )

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

jane1978
Sep 14 2009, 03:22 PM
I think this is very unfair comparison. The people you are listed weren´t the entire cast. Many nonlisted are still on. And half of the listed are supporting characters or left on their own.

For all people hating Tomlin and saying he changed the show beyond reason the fact is he fired only 6 characters so far, and four from that six already spend months and months on backburner before he even came on. People are already unhappy because Bope are about to split and involved into another triangle/qudrangle. Now imagine if all the supercouples were still on and they would have to do not one, but four kidnapping/brainwashing/possesed/past lover returnee stories and there would be not much place for anything else.

Tomlin is getting a lot of the blame because he was brought in after Corday decided to keep Dena and fire Ed Scott. The show actually was improving during that time, and if sources are correct, it was because ES was getting involved trying to correct the mess Dena was making. Why Corday chose to keep her and let go of ES who made such major improvements before she even arrived is beyond me. And Tomlin's presence has been majorly felt by the introduction of several Passions actors. Now before anybody screams, I'm not against them. I love EM and GG isn't that bad. But Passions was probably the one soap that had an even worse reputation then Days of our Lives, so I'm not sure how the show would gain viewership by such a move (and since Passions was a NBC soap, many Passions viewers already watched Days).

I actually put the blame on Dena and Corday more then Tomlin especially since it was Corday's decision to hire Tomlin in the first place. And as for the cast changes and the actors who left of their own will, it's one thing if one actor moves on on his or her own, but having 6 move on about the same time implies bad management behind the scenes.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Don't get me wrong, I can understand the need of new, fresh characters. I also understand that current favs and vets were all new at one point. However, I don't want Mia, Chad, Melanie, etc. to turn out to be the next wave of Kellam, Evan, Josh, Tod, Jessica, etc.

Paxton
Member Avatar

jane1978

Unfair comparison to what? Why do you have a problem with me pointing out that out of a picture taken a mere two years--one which I never claimed included the entire cast, but which DID include significant numbers of core family/legacy characters as well it might, having been taken at what used to be the annual picnic--many of those cast members are now gone, most of them involuntarily? That's a simple fact. And, most of the ones who were gone were not "supporting," as I think you're trying to claim. Didn't you just use Chelsea as an example of the vehicle by which Daniel was allegedly properly integrated into the show? Chelsea had a lot of front-burner time, as did Shawn and Belle for the younger generation. John, Marlena, Steve and Kayla were major characters who were familiar to long-time viewers--REGARDLESS of how they were used.

This whole discussion started because someone who hadn't watched in about a year turned on the TV and didn't know who a lot of characters were. I was pointing out what I thought was an entirely indisputable fact--that there has been a large amount of turnover in the last couple of years, a point I assume you agreed with because you've been claiming that's what's needed to keep the show fresh and interesting, right? Isn't it your opinion that Tomlin was doing what needed to be done by clearing out characters who were too expensive and for whom there was supposedly "no story" in order to make way for newer younger characters? That being the case, why is it a surprise that somebody who doesn't watch every day is confused when they turn on the show? I don't really understand why this is controversial.
Edited by Paxton, Sep 14 2009, 03:39 PM.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

I found it amazing that Justin can get shot, and be at the DA's office the next day!! I guess we're supposed to assume that Adrienne and Victor were called and that he was questioned by the Salem Police? What was that???? The only good thing I can say about that whole hot mess is that he wears killer suits!!! Come on, writers!!!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Yeah, did Justin even appear to be recovering from a bullet wound the day before?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Justin's first scene today where he was on the phone with Daniel explained that he had been released from the hospital. Daniel asked how he was doing and Justin said he felt ok and that he was just discharged.

Going back to the debate about the cast turnover, I won't argue there has been a major turnover but I'm not referring to all of it as one. The only turnover I was referring too was the one that started with Tomlin. That, to me, is the turnover that matters and that is what I was focused on. I'm not dismissing the fact that any lapsed viewer that tunes in now will feel much in the same way as some on here describe. My point was that you have to watch to get to know the characters and what is going on. Watching one day here or there or watching and fast forwarding most of the show won't accomplish that. That was all I was trying to say.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Sep 14 2009, 04:03 PM.

jane1978

Tripp
Sep 14 2009, 03:28 PM
jane1978

Tomlin is getting a lot of the blame because he was brought in after Corday decided to keep Dena and fire Ed Scott. The show actually was improving during that time, and if sources are correct, it was because ES was getting involved trying to correct the mess Dena was making. Why Corday chose to keep her and let go of ES who made such major improvements before she even arrived is beyond me. And Tomlin's presence has been majorly felt by the introduction of several Passions actors. Now before anybody screams, I'm not against them. I love EM and GG isn't that bad. But Passions was probably the one soap that had an even worse reputation then Days of our Lives, so I'm not sure how the show would gain viewership by such a move (and since Passions was a NBC soap, many Passions viewers already watched Days).

I actually put the blame on Dena and Corday more then Tomlin especially since it was Corday's decision to hire Tomlin in the first place. And as for the cast changes and the actors who left of their own will, it's one thing if one actor moves on on his or her own, but having 6 move on about the same time implies bad management behind the scenes.
Can you please me tell me how the show was improving? Assuming the hospital lockdown was really written by Ed Scott and his shadow team what he did was classic plotdriven event. Yes, the vets were the main players and they were on, but the story (and it wasn´t even a story) certainly wasn´t anyway groundbreaking. Stefano was the twirling moustache villain again, having some crazy plans with Stayla´s child, and the scenes beside Marlena´s bed got very repetive very quickly.

As for the big conflict between John, EJ, Stephano and Tony I never understand how the story could work. Business stories on DAYS never work and even if the acting was superb, I thought the few scenes where all the characters fighted in the DiMera Mansion were very unengaging and sort of crowded. I never understand why I should even care who is the boss or owner of the DiMera businesses.

And Tomlin wasn´t hired to gain the viewership. Nobody is able to do that. He was hired to stabilize the show economically and produce more for less. That´s what he is doing. DAYS has better ratings than all ABC soaps and is able to sustain that with no expensive stars except Alison Sweeney on.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Sep 14 2009, 03:59 PM
My point was that you have to watch to get to know the characters and what is going on. Watching one day here or there or watching and fast forwarding most of the show won't accomplish that. That was all I was trying to say.
If the show isn't compelling, we're not going to watch. I think it's as simple as that. Tuning in shouldn't feel like a chore. It should be something we enjoy doing because we're genuinely interested in the characters and the stories. I shouldn't feel like I'm forcing myself to watch just so I can "get to know" the newbies. Tuning in should be effortless and enjoyable. When it's not... well, that's a problem. An even bigger problem than the number of newbies.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Sep 14 2009, 04:03 PM
Tripp
Sep 14 2009, 03:28 PM
jane1978

Can you please me tell me how the show was improving? Assuming the hospital lockdown was really written by Ed Scott and his shadow team what he did was classic plotdriven event. Yes, the vets were the main players and they were on, but the story (and it wasn´t even a story) certainly wasn´t anyway groundbreaking. Stefano was the twirling moustache villain again, having some crazy plans with Stayla´s child, and the scenes beside Marlena´s bed got very repetive very quickly.

As for the big conflict between John, EJ, Stephano and Tony I never understand how the story could work. Business stories on DAYS never work and even if the acting was superb, I thought the few scenes where all the characters fighted in the DiMera Mansion were very unengaging and sort of crowded. I never understand why I should even care who is the boss or owner of the DiMera businesses.

And Tomlin wasn´t hired to gain the viewership. Nobody is able to do that. He was hired to stabilize the show economically and produce more for less. That´s what he is doing. DAYS has better ratings than all ABC soaps and is able to sustain that with no expensive stars except Alison Sweeney on.

Not only that but the idea that Corday made some sort of mistake in firing Ed Scott is something I can't grasp.

The man broke the rules. There is a reason why no other soap had bothered to hire him. I think he is a superb EP but I lost alot of respect for him after what he did, regardless if he was trying to help or not. There were better ways of handling it and he screwed up. There were rumors of him causing some drama ar Y&R too around the time his tenure with them ended so there is a history of him making things ugly.

Days needed stability and it needed someone Corday trusted enough so that he could stay out of it. They got that in Tomlin. He handles the budget better. The show has a long-term direction now. He takes chances and makes the tough decisions a EP is supposed to make. I do wish he handled things a little differently as far as firing those he did fire though. That should've been handled a bit more delicately.

Paxton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
I'm not dismissing the fact that any lapsed viewer that tunes in now will feel much in the same way as some on here describe. My point was that you have to watch to get to know the characters and what is going on. Watching one day here or there or watching and fast forwarding most of the show won't accomplish that. That was all I was trying to say.
Well, I agree, but people do take time off for a variety of reasons. When I quit watching for about six years or so and then returned, it did take some time to catch up on the new characters but there were also familiar faces. On the flip side, I'm not saying that there are NO familiar faces on the show right now, nor that the newer characters get all the screen time (though they do get a lot--Melanie and Daniel are prime examples, and until EJ's screentime slowed down recently he was frontburner basically from the time JS set foot on the set). I was merely pointing out that I can fully understand why somebody who had checked out for a while would feel this wasn't the same show. I also understand why people who have lost their favorites feel that way.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Sep 14 2009, 04:10 PM
PhoenixRising05
My point was that you have to watch to get to know the characters and what is going on. Watching one day here or there or watching and fast forwarding most of the show won't accomplish that. That was all I was trying to say.
If the show isn't compelling, we're not going to watch. I think it's as simple as that. Tuning in shouldn't feel like a chore. It should be something we enjoy doing because we're genuinely interested in the characters and the stories. I shouldn't feel like I'm forcing myself to watch just so I can "get to know" the newbies. Tuning in should be effortless and enjoyable. When it's not... well, that's a problem. An even bigger problem than the number of newbies.
Then fine...don't watch. Your right, It shouldn't be a chore. If you tune in and don't like what you see, you tune out. If you tune in and want to know more, then you watch but if your someone trying to get into the show or trying to get back into the show, watching a mere episode here and there or fast forwarding more then half the show will get you nowhere.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply