Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD/SOW: Bryan Dattilo "briefly off the canvas".; 9/29 issues
Topic Started: Sep 16 2009, 01:33 PM (5,186 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Dragonish1
Sep 16 2009, 04:04 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 16 2009, 03:35 PM
Dragonish1
Sep 16 2009, 03:07 PM
Seems pretty unfair to send the character off just as a potential sl comes along that could be meaty for the actor to sink his teeth into.

I have to agree with Cindy, seems like the DAYS vets are getting shoved aside for the Passions folk.
I don't see how a mere 3 actors from Passions (two of which have been here a year already) are pushing aside vets. Days is bringing back CC, Sorel, and Sabatino and it still has a very good amount of vets. What is happening to Bryan is awful but it has nothing to do with the Passions actors or Tomlin. Bryan was being shit on way before Tomlin or any of the Passions actors ever step foot on the Days set.

I still can't believe that so many are buying this "Days is turning into Passions" junk. Three Passions actors join the show in one year and it's like armageddon. Three former GH actors joined ATWT in one year. Is ATWT becoming GH? How many Days stars has GH stole? Is that show becoming Days? I just don't see the logic. The storytelling is classic soap. Dragging out stories was not exclusive to Passions. It's been being done since soaps began!

If Days is becoming anything, it's becoming a Sunset Beach knockoff. Tomlin actually did far more at Sunset and other shows then he did at Passions. He was a DIRECTOR at Passions. He was a producer and writer at shows like OLTL, Sunset, etc and he's received many accolades for his work on those shows.

I just can't see any merit in comparing Days to Passions. None at all.
You may not see it, but I and many others do. The Passions folk have taken over and when Hartley (As much As I like her) Shows up it is going to get alot worse. I resent Tomlin so much words can not even express it.

Under Tomlin we are getting the classic style of Passions fake-outs, dragged sls and contrived relationships. The show is just horrible IMO.

I liked Passions up until year five then it went to hell. As for Sunset Beach...That show was utter crap and I refused to watch it. I was an OLTL fan during that Era.
Fake outs, dragged stories, and contrived relationships happened long before Passions and happen on most soaps currently.

So, I guess all the soaps are becoming Passions...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Red Mist
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Sep 16 2009, 04:06 PM
Dragonish1
Sep 16 2009, 04:04 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dragonish1
Seems pretty unfair to send the character off just as a potential sl comes along that could be meaty for the actor to sink his teeth into.

I have to agree with Cindy, seems like the DAYS vets are getting shoved aside for the Passions folk.
I don't see how a mere 3 actors from Passions (two of which have been here a year already) are pushing aside vets. Days is bringing back CC, Sorel, and Sabatino and it still has a very good amount of vets. What is happening to Bryan is awful but it has nothing to do with the Passions actors or Tomlin. Bryan was being shit on way before Tomlin or any of the Passions actors ever step foot on the Days set.

I still can't believe that so many are buying this "Days is turning into Passions" junk. Three Passions actors join the show in one year and it's like armageddon. Three former GH actors joined ATWT in one year. Is ATWT becoming GH? How many Days stars has GH stole? Is that show becoming Days? I just don't see the logic. The storytelling is classic soap. Dragging out stories was not exclusive to Passions. It's been being done since soaps began!

If Days is becoming anything, it's becoming a Sunset Beach knockoff. Tomlin actually did far more at Sunset and other shows then he did at Passions. He was a DIRECTOR at Passions. He was a producer and writer at shows like OLTL, Sunset, etc and he's received many accolades for his work on those shows.

You may not see it, but I and many others do. The Passions folk have taken over and when Hartley (As much As I like her) Shows up it is going to get alot worse. I resent Tomlin so much words can not even express it.

Under Tomlin we are getting the classic style of Passions fake-outs, dragged sls and contrived relationships. The show is just horrible IMO.

I liked Passions up until year five then it went to hell. As for Sunset Beach...That show was utter crap and I refused to watch it. I was an OLTL fan during that Era.
Fake outs, dragged stories, and contrived relationships happened long before Passions and happen on most soaps currently.

So, I guess all the soaps are becoming Passions...
I guess I should have said an an unreasonable amount of fake-outs...and absurdly dragged out sls....and painfully contrived relationships.

All in all it makes for crappy viewing and does nothing more but bring me back to the GOOD OLD (and thank you baby Jesus its over) Passions Era.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Dragonish1
This kind of shit pisses me off!
BD has been with the show for awhile and hasn't done much except be AS's love puppy. Now he could have a great story about rehab, addiction, etc. but he has been thrown under the bus to make room for newbies, and yes, I mean the Passions guys. From the moment they came on, I knew it was a matter of time before BD was let go.
Brady, for instance, he has no purpose other than to walk around and give advice...why not let Lucas do that? It seems that Brady's past love with Chloe was erased, and they aren't putting him with Nicole, so there's really no reason that Lucas couldn't do Brady's role.
OR
Why not have Lucas pretend to be Grace's father instead of Rafe? Lucas and Sami in the safe house together...hating each other, but falling for each other again. Just like Rafe. That would make so much more sense in order to get back at EJ, and it would make more sense as Lucas has a reason to not trust Nicole.

So hell yea, I blame the new Passions actors for taking over where BD could have shined/had a story.
Was it time for Lucas to go? No more than it is time for AS to go...to make room for new people/new stories.

I don't think Days is turning into Passions. I just think that Days actors are being pushed aside to make room for Passions actors. Characters that weren't necessary for the story, but for some reason, where brought on.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

My problem is when they bring in the "Passions" people, they dominate the screen to the exclusion of other actors and characters that I'd like to see. I've had more than enough of Rafe time......and I'm sorry, but GG isn't a good actor. At least with EM and LH they are actually believable and watchable (if that's a word), GG is just like watching paint dry.

I've never been a big Lucas fan, nor did I think BD was that great of an actor, but I can tell you this, I think he can act circles around GG. I hate that tptb are finally giving him a storyline they should've given him when he got out of prison and they should've made it last more than a WEEK!! I'm afraid this will be it for the character. It may be that they put in on recurring after re-hab, but I wouldn't even hold my breath for that. They've got three characters coming on screen in October, so I don't see tptb trying to come up with something for Lucas. As some have already said, nobody seems to want to write for him.

I'm not sure that I would blame Tomlin for all of this, because as it's already been stated, I think he was a goner before, but AS may have saved him. I'm just not sure she'll be able to this time.

Tori

JANALH
Sep 16 2009, 04:17 PM
My problem is when they bring in the "Passions" people, they dominate the screen to the exclusion of other actors and characters that I'd like to see. I've had more than enough of Rafe time......and I'm sorry, but GG isn't a good actor. At least with EM and LH they are actually believable and watchable (if that's a word), GG is just like watching paint dry.

I've never been a big Lucas fan, nor did I think BD was that great of an actor, but I can tell you this, I think he can act circles around GG. I hate that tptb are finally giving him a storyline they should've given him when he got out of prison and they should've made it last more than a WEEK!! I'm afraid this will be it for the character. It may be that they put in on recurring after re-hab, but I wouldn't even hold my breath for that. They've got three characters coming on screen in October, so I don't see tptb trying to come up with something for Lucas. As some have already said, nobody seems to want to write for him.

I'm not sure that I would blame Tomlin for all of this, because as it's already been stated, I think he was a goner before, but AS may have saved him. I'm just not sure she'll be able to this time.
Thanks for saying it better than I could - ITA with you!

Tammy
Member Avatar

This is the main reason I don't watch this show anymore. Granted I was never a big Lucas fan, but... this show has lost its focus! When you do a soap there are core characters and family's that MAKE that show what it is. Once you veer off from the root of the show it becomes unrecognizable to those who have watched it for years.

Think of a soap like a tree. The newbies are the leaves... the teens the are the branches... and the vets are the root. And a tree can't live without its ROOTS! ;)

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

PhoenixRising05
Dragonish1

Well PR... we also had the Dean guy who was a former Passions guy and Sorel and Sabatino who you mentioned were also Passions peeps if you remember.

Even if you don't think "Days is turning into Passions" (and I actually don't and would probably actually be MORE inclined to turn in if it did resemble what I thought was good and fun about Passions), I don't know how you can't think GG and to a lesser extent EM pushed BD to the backburner.

Ljay
Member Avatar

Lucas is off canvas again? God, are we gonna have to go thru that again, last time he went "off canvas" he come home to Sami wallering in the bed with Ej..... This is so stupid, if they are gonna let him go i wish they would already.... He will probably come back wanting Sami and then the big triangle of Rafe/Sami/Lucas will be on its way...... Why can't they just bring a new woman in for him, and leave well enough alone?There is always Rafe's sister, Arianna, or would that be a little too much for Sami and Rafe to deal with, lol Or for us to deal with for that matter! :run: :run: :jedi: :jedi:

cebryan333

I think the only reson they kept his charactor this long is because he has kids with Sami, if not he would have been writter out a long time ago.

SomeSoupRocks
Member Avatar

♥ Tammy ♥
Sep 16 2009, 04:29 PM
This is the main reason I don't watch this show anymore. Granted I was never a big Lucas fan, but... this show has lost its focus! When you do a soap there are core characters and family's that MAKE that show what it is. Once you veer off from the root of the show it becomes unrecognizable to those who have watched it for years.

Think of a soap like a tree. The newbies are the leaves... the teens the are the branches... and the vets are the root. And a tree can't live without its ROOTS! ;)
Perfectly said and so True,but in soap world the Bigwigs will Never get it or listen to the Viewers or Fans!
Tammy,your not alone of feeling that way!!

mbdimera
Member Avatar

I feel for BD, but I'm surprised he's lasted this long. I thought for sure he was a goner when they wrote him off to go to jail for shooting EJ. I agree with those who think that AS is the one who is probably going to bat for him with the higher-ups.

I don't think the former Passions actors should be blamed though. Lucas hasn't gotten a good story in ages, long before Tomlin arrived. What the reason for that is, who knows. :shrug:

Ana75
Member Avatar

Tori
Sep 16 2009, 01:55 PM
I am so disappointed that they are choosing to not give Bryan this storyline. The whole falling off the wagon and all the consequences that go along with that could have given Bryan a great storyline for him to shine. Why they chose to not give him the opportunity is a slap in the face to Bryan and to his fans who have waited for Bryan to get meaty material for a long time.
This would of been a great opportunity to let Bryan shine in a storyline like this but I really hope that this isn't permanent.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I've never thought of Lucas as anything but Sami's sidekick, except when they were together romantically- something I briefly enjoyed. So I can't really imagine Lucas being the center of anything directly, even if he is an older character and technically a Horton. Because of that, and because it's Days, I don't think there ever was some big possibility for him to have a great falling off the wagon story. I don't feel like we're all gonna miss out on something and the writers are dropping the ball. Just my opinion, though.

I liked that idea upthread of Lucas returning and linking with Vivian. Hopefully TPTB see and steal that.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Sep 16 2009, 04:32 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dragonish1

Well PR... we also had the Dean guy who was a former Passions guy and Sorel and Sabatino who you mentioned were also Passions peeps if you remember.

Even if you don't think "Days is turning into Passions" (and I actually don't and would probably actually be MORE inclined to turn in if it did resemble what I thought was good and fun about Passions), I don't know how you can't think GG and to a lesser extent EM pushed BD to the backburner.

Nick Stabile (Dean) was on Passions for TWO weeks. He was on Sunset for three years. Sabatino was also on Sunset. As I said, this is not just a Passions thing. He's worked with these actors at two different shows. Sorel worked on Passions for like 6 episodes. It means nothing. Execs bring in actors they like or have worked with all the time, just like they bring in writers they've worked with through their careers. It happens. Ed Scott brought a whole new team of directors into Days. It's always been this way.

Other soaps do this too but no one says anything about it yet Days does it and they are becoming another show? I don't get it. ATWT is adding GH/PC people left and right but no one makes the same claims about them. Days brought two Passions actors on within a month of each other in GG and EM. They had no intention of even bringing Martsolf on. He tested for Rafe and they liked him but just not as Rafe. They had been thinking about recasting Brady for awhile so they offered him the role. It was not planned. GG was the only one they had intentions of bringing on. LH wasn't planned either. If it was, you would've seen her casted initially or well before she was. I should also add that GG did not get much airtime at all when he first started. I won't give the show too much credit on that because that was only because Ali was pregnant and they were limiting the amount of action there.

EM and LH have nothing to do with Dattilo. NOTHING. They've pushed aside no one for these two. Dattilo and the character of Lucas was treated like shit well before GG arrived as well. The destruction of Lucas began during JER's second run when he became nothing more then an Austin clone and then they had him in a DOA pairing with Carrie. He enjoyed somewhat of a resurgence early on in Fall 2006 under Hogan but the minute Days began whitewashing EJ and his crimes so open up the possibility of EJ and Sami, his days were numbered. Lucas' presence in the story was reduced to yelling and screaming at Sami when he wasn't being her little whipping boy. Then, they went ahead and has him shoot EJ and sent him to jail, right around the time rumors of Dattilo being fired started. Somehow his job was saved (most likely Ali) and he came back and they tossed him over to Chloe for no reason whatsoever but to piss Sami off some more.

GG was nowhere to be seen until October. Tomlin was nowhere to be seen. No one from Passions was around yet the Passions actors and Tomlin are blamed for about 4 years of screwing over BD and Lucas when they were only around for a year of it? GMAB. That makes no sense. I'm not saying GG didn't hurt Lucas' role but Lucas was already being screwed for years before Tomlin or anyone from Passions stepped foot on Days. That is why I don't buy this "Days is becoming Passions" crap. There is just no logic in it.

Manda1

PhoenixRising05
Sep 16 2009, 07:02 PM
IMissAremid
Sep 16 2009, 04:32 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dragonish1

Nick Stabile (Dean) was on Passions for TWO weeks. He was on Sunset for three years. Sabatino was also on Sunset. As I said, this is not just a Passions thing. He's worked with these actors at two different shows. Sorel worked on Passions for like 6 episodes. It means nothing. Execs bring in actors they like or have worked with all the time, just like they bring in writers they've worked with through their careers. It happens. Ed Scott brought a whole new team of directors into Days. It's always been this way.

Other soaps do this too but no one says anything about it yet Days does it and they are becoming another show? I don't get it. ATWT is adding GH/PC people left and right but no one makes the same claims about them. Days brought two Passions actors on within a month of each other in GG and EM. They had no intention of even bringing Martsolf on. He tested for Rafe and they liked him but just not as Rafe. They had been thinking about recasting Brady for awhile so they offered him the role. It was not planned. GG was the only one they had intentions of bringing on. LH wasn't planned either. If it was, you would've seen her casted initially or well before she was. I should also add that GG did not get much airtime at all when he first started. I won't give the show too much credit on that because that was only because Ali was pregnant and they were limiting the amount of action there.

EM and LH have nothing to do with Dattilo. NOTHING. They've pushed aside no one for these two. Dattilo and the character of Lucas was treated like shit well before GG arrived as well. The destruction of Lucas began during JER's second run when he became nothing more then an Austin clone and then they had him in a DOA pairing with Carrie. He enjoyed somewhat of a resurgence early on in Fall 2006 under Hogan but the minute Days began whitewashing EJ and his crimes so open up the possibility of EJ and Sami, his days were numbered. Lucas' presence in the story was reduced to yelling and screaming at Sami when he wasn't being her little whipping boy. Then, they went ahead and has him shoot EJ and sent him to jail, right around the time rumors of Dattilo being fired started. Somehow his job was saved (most likely Ali) and he came back and they tossed him over to Chloe for no reason whatsoever but to piss Sami off some more.

GG was nowhere to be seen until October. Tomlin was nowhere to be seen. No one from Passions was around yet the Passions actors and Tomlin are blamed for about 4 years of screwing over BD and Lucas when they were only around for a year of it? GMAB. That makes no sense. I'm not saying GG didn't hurt Lucas' role but Lucas was already being screwed for years before Tomlin or anyone from Passions stepped foot on Days. That is why I don't buy this "Days is becoming Passions" crap. There is just no logic in it.
Great post! ITA GG, EM and LH were still working on Passions when much of what you've detailed here happend! And I definitely see shades of Sunset Beach emerging!

Sindacco
Member Avatar

I knew this would happen when the spoilers about Lucas going to rehab came, I never understood why the Lucas fans were so happy about it, it was oblivious he was getting backburned, not a storyline.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Tori
Sep 16 2009, 01:55 PM
I am so disappointed that they are choosing to not give Bryan this storyline. The whole falling off the wagon and all the consequences that go along with that could have given Bryan a great storyline for him to shine. Why they chose to not give him the opportunity is a slap in the face to Bryan and to his fans who have waited for Bryan to get meaty material for a long time.
He's already had that kind of storyline. What's the point of having it again?

dooldooldool

Frankly, I think a rehab story would be bo-ring. At least as executed in the current regime. Lots of day players and an actor with limited acting chops (as was duly noted in the "fell off the wagon" scenes).

OK, so perhaps it could work if they forced Lucas to re-visit what has led him to alcoholism, but that would require pulling lots of off-canvas folks back into the fold (Carrie/Austin/BillHorton/Jennifer/Billie). It's better that it be off-screen and Lucas return "in recovery". The Brady Black rehab happened off-canvas and that seems to have worked fine, storyline-wise.

He will be back. The LUMI friendship seems very important to AS, who is the star of the show and also anchors one-seventh of NBC Primetime programming. As for BD, would recurring status really all that different financial-wise for an actor?

It would be nice if he did come back, finally break free of his mother, and as part of his "program" come clean that it was Will who shot EJ in the back

klements

I get the feeling that TPTB don't think that BD can carry his own storyline. I can't decide if it's because they don't find the character compelling or if it is because they believe that he doesn't have the acting chops to pull off a big story. I think someone else mentioned, too, that Days is a relationship show, and they can't find a pairing for him that will stick with viewers. Lumi is a potential exception, but even with them I felt that it was a 'nice' relationship not necessarily a passionate one. In my opinion, he just can't 'bring the heat' that's necessary to keep me interested.

I would like to see him on another show if he doesn't stay on Days. He might just need a chance to show what he can do with a different character.

Livie

I would like to see BD as the owner of a Salem comedy club. He could once in awhile do an act in which he would 'roast' members of the Salem community.

"Well, now I hear we have the new Mr. and Mrs. DiMera in the audience. How are the newlyweds doing? I see Stefano has a smile on his face, but where is Kate? Damn, Kate, this is a respectable joint, get out from under the table, Stefano can wait til you get home".

Ok, maybe not too funny, but I am sure the writers could get some better ideas!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply